UCSF IM Hospitalist Handbook?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maddie90

Be the change you want to see in the world
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got an email from AgileMD, an app I use, that they now have the UCSF hospitalist handbook. I was thinking of getting Pocket Medicine for my inpatient medicine rotation next month, but this one is way cheaper ($20 vs. $56) and can be used on my phone and iPad.

Has anyone used it before on their rotation? Is it worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an IM intern and have been using my Hospitalist copy religiously since I was an MS3 (I think they've had a new edition since then). I didn't know they had a digital version out. Do you know how I can get the discounted version?

Ya, i love the Hospitalist Handbook. It was a toss up between Pocket Medicine and Hospitalist Handbook when I was initially making my decision for a pocket guide. I find that Pocket Medicine in general has a lot more citations and is very evidence heavy. Hospitalist Handbook is also evidence based but tends to be more management oriented and I found it to be a lot more direct in terms of helping me figure out the next steps in working up and treating my patients. The one downside about Hospitalist Handbook is that it's index/glossary is not quite as helpful for navigating.

At our residency program it was about half/half with regards to folks using Pocket Medicine or Hospitalist Handbook.

Maddie90, I'm also interested in learning more about where you can get Hospitalist Handbook as an app. That would be amazing! Especially if you could search, which would make up for the indexing issues with HH!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email from AgileMD, an app I use, that they now have the UCSF hospitalist handbook. I was thinking of getting Pocket Medicine for my inpatient medicine rotation next month, but this one is way cheaper ($20 vs. $56) and can be used on my phone and iPad.

Has anyone used it before on their rotation? Is it worth it?

Absolutely worth it. Basically whenever I had a patient, I would look up the diagnosis and management steps as outlined in the Hospitalist Handbook. It gives way more step-by-step details than the Red/Green book. All the residents would be surprised at how much practical (not esoteric and irrelevant) diagnostic and management steps I'd have in my presentations. They thought I was a genius...(and I wasn't too keen on letting them know where most of that genius was coming from :)

Would this book also be useful for IM during MS3 rotations or is it more geared for PG1 IM folks

Would this book also be useful for IM during MS3 rotations or is it more geared for PG1 IM folks

It used to be free online... but then they started charging for it. I'm sure you can find it online using the wayback machine.

It used to be free online... but then they started charging for it. I'm sure you can find it online using the wayback machine.

Was this directed at me? B/c I don't think it really answered my question lol

Was this directed at me? B/c I don't think it really answered my question lol

No it was not.

But to answer your question- it would be more useful for interns and residents, but if you finish your step up to medicine, this would be a good, a bit more advanced book which could be helpful.

Reactions: 1 user
Do they sell hard copies anywhere? Can't find any on amazon. I think I may prefer a book to an app if I don't get reception on my phone

Do they sell hard copies anywhere? Can't find any on amazon. I think I may prefer a book to an app if I don't get reception on my phone

As far as I can tell, you can only buy hard copies from the UCSF book store. That's where I bought my copy. You'll find it with an online search.

I've been using HH on the AgileMD app and it's been fantastic. My days of carrying paper books in my coat pocket are totally over. Once you go digital, it's hard to go back. HH still works on your phone even without cell phone service or wifi, which is awesome because some of the hospitals i work at are total reception dead zones. The one confusing part of getting the HH app is that you need to go to agilemd.com and buy HH on the website, so that they add it to your app. I don't think you can buy things from within the AgileMD app currently.

I ended up buying both the hospitalist and outpatient parts because unlike utd and even pocket medicine, this gets straight to the point without a lot of fluff and screen scrolling. I should mention it's not super comprehensive but def good for intern year imo. Plus the agile md software run very smooth on my android and is faster than using the utp app.

I just want to point out that I think that several of these accounts are the same person who has been posting similar reviews all over the web (i.e. Amazon) as well as here. The OP and numerous other posters have accounts that were all created on the same day or very shortly after and they have very few posts except regarding this app. Be careful as this this app may not be as good as they make it seem (not to say it is not useful, just be wary)

Reactions: 2 users