UCSF NS Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asdfghjkl135

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here know what UCSF's Neurosurgery residency is like? I've heard a lot about how it's impossible to say what residency is like in general because of the differences in each programs. I'm actually just going in to college; however, I do have a pretty good idea of what NS will be like and that NS is what I want to do. I'm wondering what a good place to do my residency would be, and I'm leaning towards UCSF right now.

Members don't see this ad.

First you will need to get into medical school and become a research monster. UCSF NSG residents tend to either have 2 years of research experience (taking 2 years off during medical school) or a PhD. UCSF is a well rounded program with a large tumor and functional basic science research base. They are considered the top neurosurgery program by many, though whether or not it is the top residency program for a given applicant varies.

Do you know how difficult it will be to get in to UCSF? In all the various standardized test I've taken so far I've easily been in the 90th percentile so I'm pretty sure my MCAT score will be high enough to get in, although I do realize this is going to be way more difficult than any test so far but I'm trying to be optimistic about my intelligence. However, I'm more curious about factors besides the test that will help me get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, senior in high school, what are your career plans for when you're 35 years old and graduating from neurosurgery at UCSF? PD at MGH or Chairman at Stanford? How many grandkids will you have? Where, when and how will you die?

I know UCSF is competitive, and I know it's a stretch to be asking this as early on as I am. However, I know without a shadow of doubt what I want to do right now and I'm extremely determined and highly intelligent, enough so that I know for a fact that if I try I can get in to any medical school I want. And yes that sounds extremely arrogant but that's fact. Not to mention that when I get to Medical I'm going to start volunteering and shadowing for NS as much as possible before I ever finish schooling just in case neurosurgery isn't for me, and if it is I'll still want to go surgical so no time will have been wasted really I'll just find a branch of surgery that suits me better.

90th was only at my absolute worst and that was because I hadn't taken trig yet at that point so have my grade in that section was based on math I hadn't been taught yet. Normally I'm up in the high 90s, usuallly I'm around the 98th percentile.

No. that's like saying I'll be a starter for Yankees, which the higher you shoot the higher you go, but I'm going to keep my options open in case the Yankees don't want me. Re-read my last sentence.

90th was only at my absolute worst and that was because I hadn't taken trig yet at that point so have my grade in that section was based on math I hadn't been taught yet. Normally I'm up in the high 90s, usuallly I'm around the 98th percentile.

Lol you cant compare your ACT/SAT scores to gauge your USMLE scores.
In medical school youll be competing against other highly intelligent and accomplished individuals that work extremely hard day in and day out, not a bunch of high school kids that dont give a **** about standardized tests. What you're doing is comparing apples to oranges, and frankly a waste of your time.
Check out the highschoolSDN part of the forum and work on getting into a good undergraduate school.

Yes, I know, those tests can't even begin to compare. My main reason for starting this thread was mainly to get somewhat of an idea what the residency at UCSF was like. I'm just curious what it would be like if I did somehow manage to get in because I would like to at least and some small idea before I ever apply to go there because I would prefer to go to medical at the same place I do my residency. I'm not saying going to that medical in general is even set in stone I just want to know what it would be like if I did and I'm sorry I didn't make that more clear and for arguing back like an impertinent child.

Yes, I know, those tests can't even begin to compare. My main reason for starting this thread was mainly to get somewhat of an idea what the residency at UCSF was like. I'm just curious what it would be like if I did somehow manage to get in because I would like to at least and some small idea before I ever apply to go there because I would prefer to go to medical at the same place I do my residency. I'm not saying going to that medical in general is even set in stone I just want to know what it would be like if I did and I'm sorry I didn't make that more clear and for arguing back like an impertinent child.

Another thing to consider is that you wouldn't be starting residency for at least 9 years. A lot will change during that time. All of the residents will be different, there could be a new PD, the curriculum could change, etc... What the residency program is like now, may be completely different than what it will be in 9 years. Focus on the present now. Get into college, then think about medical school. Take it one step at a time.

Reactions: 1 user
This is relevant specifically for UCSF because Mitch Berger will potentially no longer be chair then, and he's basically the fundamental reason why UCSF is such a top program. Great programs tend to have a lot of inertia that keeps them from crumbling even after the loss of their chairman, but there's no way to say what UCSF will be like without him.