UCSF or Michigan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoungUnlimitedData

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So I got into all 5 schools I interviewed at but I'm really only deciding between UCSF and Michigan. I know both are top schools but I'm torn between the two, and can see myself going to either one. Money isn't really an issue as I will be paying out of state tuition for both schools. So I am wondering which one you would pick and why? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

SF has some funding issues from what I hear. Michigan is absolutely fantastic and considered one of the best dental schools in the country! Congrats on your acceptance there!

I have a few friends at Michigan and they love it. Top notch school with no shortage of great experience.

UCSF its one of the best schools you could possibly go to, they have pass/fail, its warm (compared to Michigan) and if you are paying out of state at least you can pay instate after a year in Ca, at my Michigan interview they said its difficult to switch to instate.

best of luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Both are great. Marquette is really underrated. Fantastic school and way cheaper than living in sf. Pick whatever is the cheapest. Any dentist nowadays will tell you that!

Marquette is cheaper overall! Almost always pick the cheapest option! Both schools are great but every student I've met at Marquette is super happy there.

I've had the opposite experience speaking to UCSF students.

Switching to in-state is Michigan is hard but it's not that easy to do it in CA either.

Take a look at this, Michigan is ranked #1

http://dental-schools.findthebest.com/

They factor a lot in to arrive at that ranking.

Also keep in mind Michigan's class is 40% OOS so it's easy to meet people in the same boat as you, definitely helps with making friends. Nearly all of SF's class is in-state and many people go home on the weekends.

Just something to think about.

Nope still waiting on it.

Hey man, I don't think you going around the threads and telling people not to go to UCSF will increase your chance to receive the secondary from them. Everyone knows that the rankings from that website doesn't mean anything, and I am quiet surprised that you have so many friends who attend those 3 specific schools- Michigan, Marquette and UCSF. Not trying to accuse you for anything but I'm not sure what your intentions are for badmouthing UCSF.

Reactions: 1 users
Both are amazing schools, but if I had to choose between living in San Francisco or Ann Arbor, I'd choose San Francisco 100% of the time. There is way more to do in San Francisco, plus you have the culture, the arts, diversity, great food, the ocean and much better weather.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-13 at 7.50.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-13 at 7.50.47 PM.png
    172.8 KB · Views: 231
Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa, OP, looks like you have some really good options here. They're both amazing schools!

And for the record, I would personally choose UCSF.

A dentist I worked for went to dental school at Michigan and loved it. I am planning on going to UCSF, so we can be classmates if you choose that route.

What I'm saying is UCSF because you'll get to be my classmate and that's pretty much the greatest experience anyone can ever be offered. Ever.

Aren't you waiting on UCLA? I'm sure you'd pick that over SF if given the chance. UCSF is quite overrated. Talk to some of the students there and get their opinions before you make your decision final.

Aren't you waiting on UCLA? I'm sure you'd pick that over SF if given the chance. UCSF is quite overrated. Talk to some of the students there and get their opinions before you make your decision final.
I am waiting on UCLA, but not because I prefer it. I have pros and cons for both, but I want to hear from UCLA in case something keeps me in Southern California (family emergencies, etc.). My mindset as of right now is I am going to UCSF and an acceptance to UCLA won't necessarily change that.

Additionally, I've talked to a lot of students at UCLA, and they're not the happiest campers either.

Interesting. Well best of luck then!

As for UCLA, I don't know anyone personally there but I do know their didactics are more intense. That's why it's the better choice if you plan on specializing.

Beginning to think draperdds is right on the money...

Reactions: 1 user
Beginning to think draperdds is right on the money...

Seems really fishy, especially now that he limited who can see his profile/posts.

Interesting. Well best of luck then!

As for UCLA, I don't know anyone personally there but I do know their didactics are more intense. That's why it's the better choice if you plan on specializing.

LOL dude, your manipulative and conniving attitude is the exact opposite kind of attitude any future health care practitioner should have. Please re-consider your future career options.

Reactions: 1 user