UCSF supplemental application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I

imkim01

I have a quick question for those who already applied for UCSF. In supplemental application, there is a part where we need to write a UCSF CANDIDATE'S STATEMENT. How is it different from personal statement? Is it bad if I write it similar to my personal statement?

Thank you in advance and good luck to the would-be class of 2009/2010.

Members don't see this ad.

imkim01 said:
I have a quick question for those who already applied for UCSF. In supplemental application, there is a part where we need to write a UCSF CANDIDATE'S STATEMENT. How is it different from personal statement? Is it bad if I write it similar to my personal statement?

Thank you in advance and good luck to the would-be class of 2009/2010.

i think the pharmcas essay is basically just why you want to become a pharmacist, what you plan to do as a pharmacist, etc. the supplemental essay is basically anything you want to write about. in my personal opinon, its a way to let the admissions committee to know something more about you. i think it would be bad to write something similar to your pharmcas statement. write about something that isn't covered anywhere else in your application or if there's something you want to expand upon, write about that. i think they're looking for unique essays that tell the reader what type of person you are. the more information you can squeeze in about yourself, the better. good luck!

tom

I agree with Tom defintiely on this one. Write it different from your PharmCAS. What I did is write about a pretty intense experience from my senior year of college, when my professor died and how i dealt with it and what I learned from it. They want to see how you think, what impassions you, and they don't want to hear again why you want to be a pharmacist. So write about something totally off topic, so don't in your conclusion state, oh I had this experience and now it has made me want to be a pharmacist or anything like that. I did a formal essay and made a conclusion about what that experience did in defining the man I am today (that's a laugh for anyone who knows me...haha).

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oneday_9 said:
I agree with Tom defintiely on this one. Write it different from your PharmCAS. What I did is write about a pretty intense experience from my senior year of college, when my professor died and how i dealt with it and what I learned from it. They want to see how you think, what impassions you, and they don't want to hear again why you want to be a pharmacist. So write about something totally off topic, so don't in your conclusion state, oh I had this experience and now it has made me want to be a pharmacist or anything like that. I did a formal essay and made a conclusion about what that experience did in defining the man I am today (that's a laugh for anyone who knows me...haha).

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your advice. It is much clearer than before. I hope I can see you on campus next fall. :D

imkim01 said:
Thank you so much for your advise. It is much clearer than before. I hope I can see you on campus next fall. :D

I hope so too, when you're finished with your rough draft, feel free to email it to me:

[email protected]

I've helped a few others before, wouldn't mind giving criticism.

:)

Oneday_9 said:
I hope so too, when you're finished with your rough draft, feel free to email it to me:

[email protected]

I've helped a few others before, wouldn't mind giving criticism.

:)

I had two questions:
1) on the suppl app, the first questions reads:

EXTRACURRICULAR, LEADERSHIP, VOLUNTEER, COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES & WORK EXPERIENCE. Expand upon one of the outside activities you listed in your PharmCAS application by discussing the degree of your involvement and the unique skills, knowledge and insight you gained through your participation in this endeavor.

--> can we pick pharmacy experience since the title includes work experience? Or is it too unoriginal to talk about pharmacy work yet again?

2) if the pharmcas personal statement includes parts that could be used for the candidates statement, do you think i should cut out those parts from the pharmcas and use it for the candidates statement instead? My pharmCAS essay sorta reads like a chronological story more than a direct answer to "why i selected pharmacy as a career." When I wrote it, i thought it gave it a more personal touch. But now that there is this candidate statement thing, I dont know what to do...should i change it??

PLEASE HELP!
*STRESSED* :(

1) I don't think its a bad idea to mention working in a pharmacy BUT I think what the best thing to do is choose the activity that you're MOST passionate about, spent the most time and effort in. If it was volunteering at a clinic, or being president of a club, etc. whatever, thats the one you should put down. A LOT of people will have some sort of pharmacy experience for that question. But if you put something unique, it'll set you apart from others and also give you something more to talk about during your interview. They'll know you worked at a pharmacy from your PharmCAS.

2) If it goes with your essay, don't cut it out. Just be sure to answer the question it asks. If the story directly is a part of your answer, then don't cut it out. I personally think that your thesis should answer that question and use the rest of the essay to explain and also I think its beneficial if you say what you want to do with pharmacy. The supplemental should be totally different than your PharmCAS essay.

Wait to see what Curt has to say about this. He's good at this stuff. He helped me get in!

Tom

I went to UCSF's application workshop. For the candidate statement, they specifically said to write something completely different from what you wrote on your PharmCas PS. I guess it makes sense b/c adcoms want to learn about you and not have to re-read something they already know. *sigh* What an extensive process. :scared:

tomrocks said:
1) I don't think its a bad idea to mention working in a pharmacy BUT I think what the best thing to do is choose the activity that you're MOST passionate about, spent the most time and effort in. If it was volunteering at a clinic, or being president of a club, etc. whatever, thats the one you should put down. A LOT of people will have some sort of pharmacy experience for that question. But if you put something unique, it'll set you apart from others and also give you something more to talk about during your interview. They'll know you worked at a pharmacy from your PharmCAS.

2) If it goes with your essay, don't cut it out. Just be sure to answer the question it asks. If the story directly is a part of your answer, then don't cut it out. I personally think that your thesis should answer that question and use the rest of the essay to explain and also I think its beneficial if you say what you want to do with pharmacy. The supplemental should be totally different than your PharmCAS essay.

Wait to see what Curt has to say about this. He's good at this stuff. He helped me get in!

Tom

Thank you so much for all your advice, it really helped! UCSF is actually my first choice and it would be a dream to get accepted. That said, it makes me all that more stressed out about the application. Would you or Curt mind reviewing my app? You guys are obviously very bright (since you got into the top pharm school) and I trust your feedback. Lemme know and thank you in advance for all your help!! :oops: :luck:

CalGrl05 said:
Thank you so much for all your advice, it really helped! UCSF is actually my first choice and it would be a dream to get accepted. That said, it makes me all that more stressed out about the application. Would you or Curt mind reviewing my app? You guys are obviously very bright (since you got into the top pharm school) and I trust your feedback. Lemme know and thank you in advance for all your help!! :oops: :luck:

I wouldn't mind looking things over but I don't think I'm the best person to do so. I had my application reviewed a gazillion times by friends. I can give feedback about content but I'm crap with grammar. Send me a private message with your email and I'll e-mail you back.

Oh and I also defered for a year so if you, or anyone else on this board, gets in this year, then we'll be classmates!

Tom