UCSF vs Partners as top pick?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuro2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. My rank list is flip-flopping, and I'd love any advice or thoughts...

My favorite places are UCSF, Partners, and Penn. Does anyone have strong opinions regarding these programs (especially friendliness of people, resident education, research opportunities, etc)? Or if anyone has had direct experience in these programs, insight would be greatly appreciated! I know all are amazing programs, and I'm sure I'd be happy at either place if I match into them. Just want to make sure I truly have them in order of preference on my ranklist!

More specific questions/comments:

- Any thoughts on how UCSF has changed in the last couple years (adding residents, etc), and how the workload compares to Partners? Traditionally I've heard UCSF was brutal, but seems that is changing...

- How about research opportunities between these places? Seems that Penn may offer the most flexible PGY3/4 schedule, followed by Partners and then UCSF. How accessible are faculty to engage in research projects, and how supportive are these places at trying to secure R25s?

- Penn residents seemed the happiest to me, of the three schools. I love Philly as a city the most, by FAR (great art scene, got a lot of friends there, quirky, cheap), I could get into San Francisco, and least favorite for me is Boston (grew up around Boston, very impatient place).

- Any experience out there with UCSF's intern year? 9 of their 10 spots are 4-year spots, so most likely I would get one of those if I were to match. Not sure how killer that is. Partners offers options to complete intern year somewhere else.

- I've heard rumors of a couple of not-so-nice attendings at UCSF (just one or two). Rumor or not?

- The fact that the new Chairmen at Yale, Penn and Brown all came from Partners (and that they are great!) tells me that Partners trains fabulous leaders. Partners residents were also incredibly friendly, dynamic, funny, etc...

- UCSF: Loved the emphasis on underserved at SFGH, thought the vibe with a bit more relaxed in both hospitals, was told by many residents that Cali is less hierarchical than back East. True?

That's it! Clearly all amazing programs, but gotta make a list nonetheless...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Aha! Well, any thoughts as to pros and cons of these places? What factors are surfacing as important to you? It is always helpful to hear other people's thought processes.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
UCSF
Pros - seems to be much less front-loaded than others and have more flexibility in terms of electives, etc.
Cons - hospitals are spread out and SF is really expensive...

Partners
Pros - friendly residents/faculty, and like you said, it is Harvard...
Cons - seems to be much more rigorous than UCSF and incredibly high-volume

I agree partners and ucsf above Penn, at least how I have

Thanks for the thoughts. Anyone else have feelings about my above questions?

Also, even after ranklists are in (tonight!), please feel free to add info re these programs for future applicants. I found SDN reflections super helpful as I thought through my choices throughout the interview season...

Good luck everyone!

Last edited: