UCSF vs UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oae

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
2006 was The last time these two schools were compared here on SDN. A lot has changed since then. And I need help comparing the two.

Please help me with pros and cons.

Members don't see this ad.

What are the differences between in SF and LA?

Aside from location, what are other attributes to consider?

Members don't see this ad :)
both schools offer: prestigious, good specializing rates, world renowned everything, Pass/No Pass grading system, small class sizes, fair tuition costs

UCSF

Pros: better facilities compared to UCLA, much better patient pool, #1 leader in NIH research funding, im an SF native, so Ill have a better network when I graduate.
Cons: Chilly, foggy SF weather, Im an SF native so its not a new adventurous experience to live here

UCLA

Pros: neighborhood surrounded by Bel Air, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Westwood, so you can only imagine how amazing nice it is, student living budget is much larger, 5 minutes from the beach, heavenly sunny weather year round, UCLA undergraduate provides lots of opportunities to relive college (ie. basketball games, etc), the name UCLA is a common household name, whereas UCSF isnt as well known among the common public outside California.

Cons: super overly-competitive students since everyone wants to specialize there, facilities are old, getting patients in the clinic is a huge challenge, L.A. can be a bit appearance focused and shallow, which isnt always a bad thing I guess.