UERM 2012-2013 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
haha.. why? It's already cheap here.. unless you want special type of cloth, if you want to stand out as the cool guy with the special cloth uniform.. and in that case it's not really cool, you'll just be the guy with the special cloth uniform.. jk man, go for it.

Sorry I'm tired right now.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a burning question.. So I know UE has these hospital affiliations, and it's probably the most important factor among the many in why I would choose this school.. my question is:

Is it possible to get rotations in the U.S. outside of these affiliate hospitals? And if so, would you do it? Why or why not?

I heard from Rodzilla that CHED is limiting rotations abroad for all PI med students to 3 months.. is this true? THanks.

Ok thanks. I'll just get everything there then. My parents just told me to get the cloth over here for some reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey lmesina,

Could you post a reference or link to this?

My classmates and I can't find the references on it.. but Rodszilla has a friend who knows the details and we are waiting on the update from him.. supposedly if it goes through, it will apply starting with all entering 2012 med classes. But either way, you would have nothing to worry about since I think UST allows for 3 months already right?

I have a burning question.. So I know UE has these hospital affiliations, and it's probably the most important factor among the many in why I would choose this school.. my question is:

Is it possible to get rotations in the U.S. outside of these affiliate hospitals? And if so, would you do it? Why or why not?

I heard from Rodzilla that CHED is limiting rotations abroad for all PI med students to 3 months.. is this true? THanks.

I remember reading on one of these forums that yes, it's possible to apply to other hospitals not affiliated with UERM (and it's actually encouraged that you do). From what I know the 2 hospitals affiliated with UERM in the US aren't wholly recognized as greenbook rotations. Basically, some hospitals require greenbook as a requirement for residency (I know most of the residency programs in the West coast require greenbook). Here's a quote I got from Value MD:

"Green book rotation is a rotation that has a ACGME approved residency in that rotation. For instance, if you want to do a medicine core clerkship then it has to be in a hosptial where they have a ACGME approved IM residency program (which tells everyone that this place is a teaching hospital...whether the attendings or residents teach or not is another story!).
This is important for licensing because several if not all states require that your 3rd year core rotations be done at ACGME approved programs."

I live in California and wish to do my residency close to home (UCSF) which requires greenbook rotations, which is why I plan to arrange my clerkship in a different hospital (it's been done before - one previous medical student from UERM was able to do clerkship in Las Vegas, Nevada). If we can't arrange it, then there's always east coast hospitals that don't necessarily require greenbook rotations.

Are "away core rotations" possible? So long as they are green book (like a Psychiatry rotation in a hospital offering Psych residency)? I know that many Intn'l med students do away elective rotations, just wondering about the core rotations?

Hey guys, for those of you already in PI, there is a semester-end UERM party I'm going to tonight (Friday in PI).. PM me for info if you wanna go! Good way to meet UE students.

Hi,

I'm a Fil-Am, 4th year medical student from UERM. I have a room at Anglo that will be available in August 2012 for any incoming students. It is fully furnished, ideal for those who want to move in without having to move/buy furniture for the school year. Please email me if you're interested: [email protected].

Rent: 8650 pesos/about $200/month. Furniture is sold separately. 60,000 pesos/about $1,400 for bed, refrigerator, microwave, study desk, book shelf, printer, hot water heater for shower, airconditioner, 19" tv, etc.

Hey guys! I'm an incoming third year UERM student who stayed here for the summer studying for my step 1. I'm also the president of the Association of International Medical Students here at UE and would love to meet up and give any advice/show people around the area. Also feel free to ask me any questions if you have any! See you next month! :)

-Marie or [email protected]

Hi everyone. Just found this forum while searching for med school updates. I am a practicing Primary care physician here in California. I have son who is a junior in high school and is interested in pursuing med school.

I got my medical degree from UP, did my residency in Nyu in the early 90's and have been blessed with a successful practice. I am open-minded about sending my son back to my native land for his MD degree. I would prefer UP but that would not be possible due to its restrictive RSA requirement.

A couple of years ago, our practice hired a fil-am grad from a caribbean school and we have been close friends since then. I have learned about his experiences during med school, including the amount of student loans that he had incurred. If he had to do it all over, he would have opted for Manila. his pre med buddy went to MAnila central university for med and self financed the costs. Ironically, they both ended up in the same FP residency. My friend is still paying off his loans.

I have a couple of colleagues who came from UE after doing UP pre med. I've always considered UE as an extension of UP.Since UP med has a limited number of slots, a big number of UP diliman premed grads end up in UE. Quality of medical education is influenced by the kind of students you get, getting former UP students, would certainly help. Smart classmates will the learning environment more competitive and challenging. This will later translate to success in residency. My residency program was dominated by grads from nyu, sinai, downstate and einstein. But during my senior year, all three of my chief residents were from UP. The yearly in-training exams were aced by the Pinoy grads also.

So good luck to all of guys and work hard. I will check this forum on a regular basis. My email address is [email protected]

Last edited:
My residency program was dominated by grads from nyu, sinai, downstate and einstein. But during my senior year, all three of my chief residents were from UP. The yearly in-training exams were aced by the Pinoy grads also.

Sir, this is AWESOME.

Uerm is a great school as I applied here also. Another school I would urge you to consider is the Ateneo School of Medicine and Public Health (ASMPH). They are now 6 years old and are now having their first board takers. It does not yet have CA approval, but I'm sure it inevitably will. They accept about 150 per batch (about UPCM class size), and the majority of them are UP and ADMU grads. It is a dual MD/MBA program (with the MBA focused on Public Health policy relations management).

Sir, this is AWESOME.

Uerm is a great school as I applied here also. Another school I would urge you to consider is the Ateneo School of Medicine and Public Health (ASMPH). They are now 6 years old and are now having their first board takers. It does not yet have CA approval, but I'm sure it inevitably will. They accept about 150 per batch (about UPCM class size), and the majority of them are UP and ADMU grads. It is a dual MD/MBA program (with the MBA focused on Public Health policy relations management).

We looked in to ASMPH and even stopped by and spoke with admissions representative bc we were considering them for our daughter to attend (FilAm). The facility is very nice mainly because its still fairly new. And if the keep Ateneo's standards I am sure they will continue to be an excellent learning institution. Our only issue is the length of the program which is 5 years bc they tack on the MBA degree. The school with the shortest program for med proper would be UERM. You can do your clinicals in their partner hospitals in the US on your 4th year.