UF c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mulletsarelove

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought there was already one of these threads but I couldn't find it-did anyone else here apply? I applied OOS.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you visited the campus/heard much about the interviewing process?

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't visited the campus... most of what I know about the interview process I've read on here: two adcoms and one vet asking behavioral questions...

I have been told it's no longer strictly closed-file... supposedly one person has seen your application and the other two haven't.... but that was from the rumor-mill, I really don't know if it's true...

Hello potential future gators! As far as the interviewing goes, they have 2 vets and one senior student. One of the vets works at the school, the other is from a nearby clinic (the one I had last year came up from Orlando). It used to be open-file if I remember correctly, but now they don't have access to your application. That's not to say that the one faculty member didn't see it when they were processing all of the applications that came through, but I'm fairly certain that they don't review it before you go in for your interview. Once you have interviewed, they will sit down with their notes and your application and decide from there the class. I've heard rumors that they're increasing the class size again, but don't know if that's true.

The questions on the interview section of this site are pretty representative of what you'll be asked. My best advice is to relax. I did a few interviews before UF and I had scenerios for all the different "tell us about a time when..." questions, but I felt like I had gotten the hang of the process by that point. It made my answers a lot more natural and it allowed me to show the adcoms my personality.

Interview used to be a HUGE portion of the criteria for acceptance but they've upped the percentage that grades and scores count for and reduced the percentage that the interview counts for. That being said, it's still a really large part of your "score."

Good luck to all of you and if you have any questions feel free to post on here or PM me.

IS applicant! Glad to see something other UF applicants out there!

Hello all! I'm applying IS as well. I just saw that someone posted in the interview invites thread for UF!

Mulletsarelove, just thought I'd let you know that we were informed a couple of days ago that there would be some earily interviews coming up soon. Do you know what day you're going to be down here for it? We volunteered our places of residence for those interviewees who needed a place to lay their head the night before the interview (or after, or both). Anyway, good luck and maybe I'll see you when you come down to Gville

I think I'm coming the weekend date. Thanks! I'm a little nervous. Do you know how many people they are interviewing early? Any interview advice other than the questions in the Interview Feedback?

Definitely the questions in the interview feedback thing. Make sure you know the current leaders of our country...not every group is going to ask you this but some are known for it. Obviously make sure you look nice and are yourself. Most importantly, take a deep breath and relax. I was the most relaxed for my UF interview of any and it made answering the questions so much easier and made the process almost fun. There are no wrong answers, just make sure you have something to back up your answer if they dig, changing your answer is worse than having an answer that your interviewers may disagree with.

Otherwise, make sure you get a chance to go do something. Satchels is famous around here for their pizza....it's pretty freaking awesome and their salad is to die for. If you're going to be in town for the night after your interview as well, I'm sure my classmates and I can show you a good time.

ETA: we were told 40-50 (I think) are interviewing early

Last edited:
Definitely the questions in the interview feedback thing. Make sure you know the current leaders of our country...not every group is going to ask you this but some are known for it.

Whaaaaat....Leaders of our country?? How in depth is this expected to be haha. I mean, I don't live under a rock so I know who the president is and stuff like that but I hate politics so I can't exactly spout off the names of random representatives and the like. I'll keeps Satchels in mind for sure!

Whaaaaat....Leaders of our country?? How in depth is this expected to be haha. I mean, I don't live under a rock so I know who the president is and stuff like that but I hate politics so I can't exactly spout off the names of random representatives and the like. I'll keeps Satchels in mind for sure!

I wasn't asked at my interview but I believe people were asked who the secretary of state is. To my knowledge it was just one set of interviewers that did that.

My interviewers seemed pretty unfriendly and I was convinced they hated me because they never smiled. But now that I know both of them (a faculty member and a student) I realize they just don't really show emotion and they obviously didn't hate me! :laugh: So if you get one of those don't worry too much. She's just a very serious person.

The sample SDN questions are a really good indicator of what will be asked at the UF interview. Make sure to know the difference between animal rights and animal welfare! That was one of the questions I was asked and other people with other interviewers were asked about it too.

Good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Satchel's..... drooooooooool..... Miss that place SOOO much!!

I'll be coming through Gainesville in January on my way to/from NAVC in Orlando. Definitely dragging my husband to Satchel's!!

I will definitely grab dinner there before I leave--so much love for one restaurant!

Does florida give out any decisions shortly after interviews or will they probably wait until everyone has been interviewed?

I will definitely grab dinner there before I leave--so much love for one restaurant!

Does florida give out any decisions shortly after interviews or will they probably wait until everyone has been interviewed?

Since this is the first year that they're doing early interviews, I really don't know. In the past, all of the acceptance letters were sent out the same day. However, at that point all of the interviews took place over like 3 weekends. So I have no clue.

I'm OOS and got an early interview offer. Flying to Orlando, then traveling to Gainesville for the interview.

I was really excited that students are offering lodging, but I'm going with a friend who is not an applicant so I guess we'll have to stay at a hotel nearby... any recommendations?

I'm OOS and got an early interview offer. Flying to Orlando, then traveling to Gainesville for the interview.

I was really excited that students are offering lodging, but I'm going with a friend who is not an applicant so I guess we'll have to stay at a hotel nearby... any recommendations?

Congrats! When are you going/when did you get invited? I don't really have any suggestions since I'm staying with family to cut costs but good luck!!!! I'm stoked for interviews. And terrified. :p

I've stayed in 2 hotels in Gainesville, one for my interview and one when I was apartment hunting. Country Inn & Suites By Carlson and Hampton Inn. They were both nice. There are many many more hotels in Gainesville. To choose those I just went to hotels.com and chose ones that were in my price range and had good ratings. Always check http://bedbugregistry.com/ before booking! (At least my paranoid self does that!)

Good luck!

The only hotel I've stayed at in Gainesville was a Marriott, because my family does the rewards points with them, so we always stay at their hotels. Plus I've never had a bad experience at a Marriott. It's right off the interstate and only a few minutes from the school and was very nice.

Congrats! When are you going/when did you get invited? I don't really have any suggestions since I'm staying with family to cut costs but good luck!!!! I'm stoked for interviews. And terrified. :p

I arrive in Orlando on Sunday and my interview's on Tuesday. Still not 100% sure about staying the night before in Gainesville...depends on how early the day starts on Tuesday. Does anybody know?

Lucky you've got family! it would be really great if they didn't mind my friend staying the night at a student's house as well...but I was too scared to ask so I just told them I'd stay in a hotel. Does someone know how the student lodging works? Like are there a lot of interviewees staying at the DVM students' houses and would they let my friend stay too? :confused:

I arrive in Orlando on Sunday and my interview's on Tuesday. Still not 100% sure about staying the night before in Gainesville...depends on how early the day starts on Tuesday. Does anybody know?

Lucky you've got family! it would be really great if they didn't mind my friend staying the night at a student's house as well...but I was too scared to ask so I just told them I'd stay in a hotel. Does someone know how the student lodging works? Like are there a lot of interviewees staying at the DVM students' houses and would they let my friend stay too? :confused:

Last year on the weekends they did a group of interviews like every 2-3 hours I think. Since they're doing weekday interviews and so early this year I don't know what the schedule's going to be.

I haven't been e-mailed about whether a student need to stay at my place or not, yet, so I don't know how many people are using that option. I do have room for 2 people at my apartment, but that first week of interviews is our hell week (5 days, 3 finals), so I'm kind of against hosting people that week just because I would feel bad locking myself away from the interviewees and not being able to entertain.

I don't think it would hurt to ask that--they may be able to house your friend too. That's so soon good luck! Let us know how it goes! :)

Oh I forgot to mention that my interview is actually the Tuesday of Thanksgiving week.
Anyway, I did ask them about it and they said they'd ask for me :)
Thanks guys!

Just got an interview invitation, for November 19th!:eek: I'm IS and my parents live in in Ocala, so I don't really have to worry about travel arrangements or anything. Super excited!

Just got an interview invitation, for November 19th!:eek: I'm IS and my parents live in in Ocala, so I don't really have to worry about travel arrangements or anything. Super excited!

Congrats! That's so exciting--Good luck :)

Thanks! I had pretty much given up on the chance of receiving one of the early interview dates haha so it was a great surprise. Anyone else interviewing on the 19th? Looks like most of you are doing the weekday one?

Good luck to those of you interviewing this week! We 2015ers won't really be around much because it's hell week, but I hope you guys enjoy the process and the school

Anyone on here interview this week? I'm excited to hear how it went!

I'm contemplating on whether or not to take a portfolio with my resumes and something to write on into the interview. Would it be unnecessary?

Does UF give you a folder or something on the day with info on the school and the interview day?

I'm contemplating on whether or not to take a portfolio with my resumes and something to write on into the interview. Would it be unnecessary?

Does UF give you a folder or something on the day with info on the school and the interview day?

I brought a portfolio notebook thingy to all of my interviews. I used it to write down the interviewer's names and a program one of them recommended I check out. I know most people don't. So it's completely up to you.

I did the same thing as Chinola, brought my padfolio to write down my interviewers names and anything that came up in my interview that I wanted to look into further (like the emerging pathogens lab). They give you a couple of things when you go in for your interview, I think one of the things was a pen. I was halfway through my interview before I realized that I had been flailing my hands around while talking and was holding the pen in one of them.

I find that having something like a padfolio with you, especially if you are prone to nervous habits like pulling at your clothes, messing with your hair, adjusting jewelry, etc, gives your hands a place to be.

Also, good luck today jos05! Rock it out

Also, good luck today jos05! Rock it out

Thanks Bearby!! I just got home, I think it went really well. My interviewers we so nice and all the vet students who were helping out were great. They did a great job selling us the school!

Thanks Bearby!! I just got home, I think it went really well. My interviewers we so nice and all the vet students who were helping out were great. They did a great job selling us the school!

Who were your interviewers? Do you feel it went well? Glad you liked the school, I find a new reason why I love it almost every day.

Dr. Farina and Dr. Wamsley? They just made me instantly relaxed, we were laughing for a good portion of the interview! And I think it went pretty well, a few answers I wish I could of said a little better but overall I was very pleased! The lunch and tour were great as well, got to talk to a bunch of the faculty and everyone was super friendly. Now I just wait and hope I get in!haha

Dr. Farina and Dr. Wamsley? They just made me instantly relaxed, we were laughing for a good portion of the interview! And I think it went pretty well, a few answers I wish I could of said a little better but overall I was very pleased! The lunch and tour were great as well, got to talk to a bunch of the faculty and everyone was super friendly. Now I just wait and hope I get in!haha

Love Dr. Farina. I've learned that the pathologists are the coolest people in the school. Good luck to you, try not to stress too badly while waiting.

That's reassuring! I hope you hear some good news soon!
My interview's next Tuesday and I'm freaking out because this is my first interview. I'm still waiting for them to send me the schedule for the day. How was your day? What time did the tour start and what time did your day end?

That's reassuring! I hope you hear some good news soon!
My interview's next Tuesday and I'm freaking out because this is my first interview. I'm still waiting for them to send me the schedule for the day. How was your day? What time did the tour start and what time did your day end?

Try not to worry too much! They made it very clear they really do want us to do well. Basically for me, there was a big group of interviews at 11, then we had a lunch afterwards where we got to talk to a bunch of faculty and students, and then they gave us a tour. We finished around 2. However since your interview is during the week, I feel like it will probably be set up a little different?

Try not to worry too much! They made it very clear they really do want us to do well. Basically for me, there was a big group of interviews at 11, then we had a lunch afterwards where we got to talk to a bunch of faculty and students, and then they gave us a tour. We finished around 2. However since your interview is during the week, I feel like it will probably be set up a little different?

I see...I think they said the day could be up to 6 hours depending on what I want to do. They mentioned sitting in a class too. I guess there's a lot more to do since it's during the week!

Do you remember some of the questions you were asked in the interview? Were they mainly behavioral questions?

I see...I think they said the day could be up to 6 hours depending on what I want to do. They mentioned sitting in a class too. I guess there's a lot more to do since it's during the week!

Do you remember some of the questions you were asked in the interview? Were they mainly behavioral questions?

Sitting in on a class would be interesting. I don't think you'd be sitting in on one of our classes since we're across campus being instructed and there aren't many extra seats. Who knows though. We start Parasitology and Neurology on Monday so it's exciting!

I can't believe it's 6 hours. I was there for maybe 2 1/2 hours for my interview. Went in, had the interview, had the tour, then left. There was no lunch, no panel of faculty and students. You guys are getting spoiled :p.

for those that had an interview today....you probably saw me in ZooMed :]

Pretty much a mix of behavioral and "tell me about yourself" questions. Interview feedback is a pretty good representation of what was asked!

for those that had an interview today....you probably saw me in ZooMed :]

Oo I bet I saw you then!:laugh:

Good luck to everyone interviewing today!:)

I loved Florida!!! The warm weather was also very nice. Jonathan and all of the staff were so helpful and accommodating. I can't wait to hear back from them. :) the SA hospital is incredible.

I still haven't received an interview! Do you knwo if they will be sending out any more invitation?

As a 2015 applicant to UFL and to soothe any nerves of people (who like me last year) are stressing out about interview invites, here's my timeline from last year. By this time, I had gotten a notification about my materials being in and this is when the lovely lady from admissions started telling me which classes of my pre-reqs did not fit in their curriculum. I started scrambling for syllabi right about now, taking extra reader classes so my pre-reqs would be filled in the spring and I could relax in the summer.

Once I got those together, I sat tight until.....the end of January. I'm an OOSer and was waitlisted something like January 26th-ish of last year. I ended up being accepted elsewhere and withdrew before I ever knew if I'd be taken off the waitlist. UFL does not let you know your rank (not sure if that's good or bad:p) but yeah, some perspective. I believe ISers may have heard earlier/got interviews earlier than that but when it gets to the middle of January/end and you haven't heard ANYTHING - start to maybe panic a little. Til then: SIT TIGHT :D

I still haven't received an interview! Do you knwo if they will be sending out any more invitation?

YES! They told me that after the early interviews, their schedule would look a lot like last year. They will send an update email with possible acceptances but no rejections in mid-Dec to those that already interviewed and then they will continue conducting interviews until Feb, so don't worry!! They said they only did about 40-50 early interviews so they are far from done. :)

I think I am going to lose my mind between now and Monday!!!!!!!!!

Me too :( trying to concentrate on my finals next week, but it's tough!