UF c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm interviewing tomorrow!!! EEEee!!! I'm not really feeling nervous yet... but I'll see how I feel tomorrow morning. I'm just hoping I can get words out that form intelligible sentences (that preferably answer the questions being asked). If that happens I'll be happy. Anyone else interviewing tomorrow???

My interview is tomorrow! So nervous :(.

Members don't see this ad.

Is UF still doing behavioral interviews?? Getting mixed messages...

Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow!! :luck::luck::luck:

Not sure, but I'm planning on a few behavioral type questions. If the whole interview was behavioral I'd imagine that would be a really hard interview. I wouldn't be surprised if we got some of those questions though.

HAD MY INTERVIEW TODAY! IT WASNT BAD AT ALL! We'll find out around Feb. 15th if we got in! SO EXCITED!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
ZPearl is right, my interview experience was fantastic, even enjoyable! My student interviewer did everything she could to make it a relaxed, personalized experience and even told me: "This isn't an interrogation. We're going to have a conversation to try and get to know you better", which is exactly how the whole interview felt. I will tell you that I was nervous as I first sat down, but as soon as we got going I calmed down.

Some advice for you Feb 11th crew: Be prepared for follow-up questions. I felt really prepared for all the typical behavioral questions, which are pretty standard (check SDN interview feedback for some examples), but the follow-up questions keep you on your toes and I think are a way to check your critical thinking skills. So take your time to really consider the follow-up question.

The tour was fantastic and I was blown away by many of the facilities. Even if I don't get in this cycle I KNOW that UF is the right place for me!

I actually enjoyed the interview. I never thought I would say that! It really did just feel like a conversation, and they were just trying to get to know me. Like Oceangirl said, I was pretty nervous as soon as I sat down, but they started out asking me an easy question and I relaxed right away.

I LOOVED the tour! Even though I've lived in Gainesville forever and I've seen the school and the SAH before, I learned some things I didn't know about the school. I'M SO FREAKING EXCITED NOW!

Zpearl and Oceangirl, what time did you interview? Maybe we were in the same group?

Well, you all must not have had the same interviewers as me, cause my interview was torturous. My student barely seemed interested to be alive, let alone there, and was completely aloof. There was no "easy" "whats your experiences" question. Straight out the gate, ethical question this, how would you pay for that, bad economy this, how do you justify that etc. I mean, WTF, I felt like I didn't even stand a chance :(. My interviewer even said she disagreed with me on a question (ITS MY OPINION, WTH), and was not very pleasant.

FML.

Well, you all must not have had the same interviewers as me, cause my interview was torturous. My student barely seemed interested to be alive, let alone there, and was completely aloof. There was no "easy" "whats your experiences" question. Straight out the gate, ethical question this, how would you pay for that, bad economy this, how do you justify that etc. I mean, WTF, I felt like I didn't even stand a chance :(. My interviewer even said she disagreed with me on a question (ITS MY OPINION, WTH), and was not very pleasant.

FML.

I didn't get that super friendly vibe from my interview last year either. I never got a smile or even an acknowledgement for answers. Just a "okay, next question". But I'm here now! PM who interviewed you if you remember. Maybe they were the same people who interviewed me and I can assure you that that's just how they are in real life!

FML.

I registered just to respond to you.... I had the same experience this weekend... one of my interviewers would not even make eye contact with me.... when we did make eye contact, that person acted like it was a mistake and quickly turned their head....

then at the debriefing, everyone was like "it was so relaxing & conversational!" yea right... it felt like an awkward first date conversation where the person does not give you any response or indication....

so yea, you're not alone..... I don't think it was good cop/bad cop strategy, I think it just depends on that persons mood & demeanor... luckily, there's plenty of successful students on SDN who have interview horror stories of their own.....

so to everyone who has already interviewed...is there time to change clothes/shoes before the tour (and does any one change if there is time)? i dont think i want to walk around in my suit and heels, but i also dont want to change if no one else does and then look out of place

I was taken straight from the interview room, to the debrief room, to the tour... no one changed clothes... but you definitely have a moment to change shoes or make a quick restroom stop before the tour starts...

nobody changed clothing in my group either, but someone did take a few minutes to go and change from heels to flats

I registered just to respond to you.... I had the same experience this weekend... one of my interviewers would not even make eye contact with me.... when we did make eye contact, that person acted like it was a mistake and quickly turned their head....

then at the debriefing, everyone was like "it was so relaxing & conversational!" yea right... it felt like an awkward first date conversation where the person does not give you any response or indication....

so yea, you're not alone..... I don't think it was good cop/bad cop strategy, I think it just depends on that persons mood & demeanor... luckily, there's plenty of successful students on SDN who have interview horror stories of their own.....

Every interviewee has a different experience. Some people walk out feeling super comfortable, some people walk out thinking that they just dug their own grave. On top of that, every interviewer and group of interviewers is very unique. I had one interviewer last year who didn't smile, never made it seem as though what I was saying pleased him, and asked all the tough questions. He's one of the nicest people at the college, though. Every debrief was very different, too. Some of the groups were very relaxed and chatty and some of the groups seemed shell-shocked and were silent. I've also found that people tend to read a lot more into their interviewers reactions and personalities more than they probably should. Don't psych yourself out...that may just be their personality.

so to everyone who has already interviewed...is there time to change clothes/shoes before the tour (and does any one change if there is time)? i dont think i want to walk around in my suit and heels, but i also dont want to change if no one else does and then look out of place

There's not really a break between debriefing and the tour, but you would be able to change shoes if you wanted and I'm sure if you wanted to change that the tour guides would wait a minute for you. They just can't wait too long or else the whole schedule gets messed up for the rest of the day. The tour isn't too bad. You don't spend much time outside. If it were me, I'd just suck it up and wear the suit...it's only another hour of your life (shoes are a different story because I know that they can be terrible if you don't have really good heels).

I have a friend at another vet school who said she thought that UF had a dress code and she thought that was odd...
I didn't hear anything about this on my tour or from the students- does anyone know about this?

Members don't see this ad :)
On the tour they mentioned dressing professionally. They said it is not all that strict, just don't come in wearing sweats or gym clothes. Ive also heard no logos from other schools are allowed, although that was not mentioned.

I have a friend at another vet school who said she thought that UF had a dress code and she thought that was odd...
I didn't hear anything about this on my tour or from the students- does anyone know about this?

There is a "dress code." Many vet schools have them and the one at UF is not bad. The actual rules are basically, look nice. But you can also wear scrubs as long as they are a solid color. No flip flops....but I do. No logos from other schools...but I do that too. It's more important when you get to clinics and are coming face-to-face with clients. None of the lecturers really care what you wear. As long as it's not super slutty you'll be fine.

There is a "dress code." Many vet schools have them and the one at UF is not bad. The actual rules are basically, look nice. But you can also wear scrubs as long as they are a solid color. No flip flops....but I do. No logos from other schools...but I do that too. It's more important when you get to clinics and are coming face-to-face with clients. None of the lecturers really care what you wear. As long as it's not super slutty you'll be fine.

So are jeans unacceptable to wear to class?
...hmm, also I just realized that I bike everywhere in gainesville... and it's pretty hot in the fall. I'm assuming shorts aren't acceptable so I would have to change before class. Do people do this?

I actually enjoyed the interview. I never thought I would say that! It really did just feel like a conversation, and they were just trying to get to know me. Like Oceangirl said, I was pretty nervous as soon as I sat down, but they started out asking me an easy question and I relaxed right away.

I LOOVED the tour! Even though I've lived in Gainesville forever and I've seen the school and the SAH before, I learned some things I didn't know about the school. I'M SO FREAKING EXCITED NOW!

Zpearl and Oceangirl, what time did you interview? Maybe we were in the same group?

My interview was at 3:30, what about yours?

So are jeans unacceptable to wear to class?
...hmm, also I just realized that I bike everywhere in gainesville... and it's pretty hot in the fall. I'm assuming shorts aren't acceptable so I would have to change before class. Do people do this?

Shorts are ok if they're to the knee. Jeans are ok. Technically they're supposed to be "professional denim" but as long as they don't have holes in them they're fine.

FML.

I completely agree, mine was slightly dreadful :(. I'm pretty sure it's mostly because I couldn't put a logical sentence together to save my life :mad:. Not to mention the one interviewer just stared at my hands the whole time because I couldn't stop moving them. UGH! I'm so mad at myself. I did pretty well at my other interviews, but this one was just.... word :barf:

A quick question to people who already had their interview:
I have family that are coming along with me. Are they not allowed on the tour after the interview? How exactly does that work because I didn't receive very much information about what to expect.

A quick question to people who already had their interview:
I have family that are coming along with me. Are they not allowed on the tour after the interview? How exactly does that work because I didn't receive very much information about what to expect.

They are allowed. My dad waited downstairs in the atrium while I was in the interview. He saw us all upstairs after the debriefing and came up and joined the tour. They didn't really wait for family to join the group but I was told before the interview that it was ok.

Thanks Happydance, it's good to know we didn't waste our money on plane tickets. What a bummer if they wouldn't let family/friends on the tour :-/

Is the interview still closed file? I was looking through interview feedback and someone mentioned that one of the interviewers spoke about their PS (in 2009). Can anyone clarify, please?

Thanks!

Also, hope to see some of you there on Saturday--my interview is at 4:30 (the last of the day!)

There's not really a break between debriefing and the tour, but you would be able to change shoes if you wanted and I'm sure if you wanted to change that the tour guides would wait a minute for you. They just can't wait too long or else the whole schedule gets messed up for the rest of the day. The tour isn't too bad. You don't spend much time outside. If it were me, I'd just suck it up and wear the suit...it's only another hour of your life (shoes are a different story because I know that they can be terrible if you don't have really good heels).

Okay, thanks Bearby! I'm pretty used to walking in heels so if we aren't spending time walking around outside, I'm not too worried about changing

Is the interview still closed file? I was looking through interview feedback and someone mentioned that one of the interviewers spoke about their PS (in 2009). Can anyone clarify, please?

Thanks!

Also, hope to see some of you there on Saturday--my interview is at 4:30 (the last of the day!)

You have three interviewers, 2 of which haven't seen anything about you, one of which has seen your file.

Since you're late in the day, make sure you keep their attention. It is a LONG day for those working the interviews and they're going to be tired by the time you get in there. I was near the end of the day when I interviewed last year and I said some funny things to kind of keep them focused on how awesome I am.

You have three interviewers, 2 of which haven't seen anything about you, one of which has seen your file.

Since you're late in the day, make sure you keep their attention. It is a LONG day for those working the interviews and they're going to be tired by the time you get in there. I was near the end of the day when I interviewed last year and I said some funny things to kind of keep them focused on how awesome I am.

Thanks Bearby! And thanks for the tip! :D

Thanks!

Not sure if everyone's interview was this way, but I could not tell which person out of the three had my file. I didn't get any questions that were specifically about my application- and they all seemed pretty surprised when I told them basic things like what my undergrad major was. I don't know if it was because they never read my file, or if the person that read my file just decided to keep what he/she knew about me to himself/herself. In other words, with the questions I got, it seemed like the interview was closed file. Maybe that's strategic so that the other 2 interviewers don't get any clues from the 1 that knows your application? Again, I don't know if that was unique to my interview though.

Not sure if everyone's interview was this way, but I could not tell which person out of the three had my file. I didn't get any questions that were specifically about my application- and they all seemed pretty surprised when I told them basic things like what my undergrad major was. I don't know if it was because they never read my file, or if the person that read my file just decided to keep what he/she knew about me to himself/herself. In other words, with the questions I got, it seemed like the interview was closed file. Maybe that's strategic so that the other 2 interviewers don't get any clues from the 1 that knows your application? Again, I don't know if that was unique to my interview though.

That's weird, the one who had my file told me right away, and had the very first question... about my file lol. But she only asked one question about it (a "W" I had) so maybe if there isn't anything they want to clarify, they just ask the rest from that god awful packet they flip through :scared:.

OMG thanks for responding, I thought I was alone! And you're right, it was like a sh*tty first date. :thumbdown:

I cant believe we find out on Wednesday @_@!

I cant believe we find out on Wednesday @_@!

Jonathon said the 14th and 15th, so maybe even Tuesday :)... now we're all gonna freak out if we don't hear Tuesday lol... sorry!:oops:

We were told the emails would be sent out on the 15th.

Jonathon said the 14th and 15th, so maybe even Tuesday :)... now we're all gonna freak out if we don't hear Tuesday lol... sorry!:oops:

I absolutely LOVED UF! I can't believe also that we find out on Wednesday. I am going to have such a hard decision if I get into UF. Right now, I'm really deciding between OSU and UF.

I absolutely LOVED UF! I can't believe also that we find out on Wednesday. I am going to have such a hard decision if I get into UF. Right now, I'm really deciding between OSU and UF.

They need to update the large animal side of things but the small animal hospital was impressive. Being in Gainesville for the past 4 years i didnt know there was so much property behind the school.

They need to update the large animal side of things but the small animal hospital was impressive. Being in Gainesville for the past 4 years i didnt know there was so much property behind the school.

Agreed about the LA facilities, though they are upgrading their equipment if not the hospital (new equine treadmill). My interests are in SA med, so the older LA facilities don't bother me so much.

We were told the emails would be sent out on the 15th.

Oh ok, in our debriefing he told us the 14th and 15th, and to please not call him if we haven't heard on the 14th and other people have. He told us it would take him two days because he wants to take his time and not screw up the emails lol. Either way, I was planning on just telling my head that it will be the 15th so I can not freak out on Tuesday :scared:

NStarz- When you say OSU, do you mean Oklahoma, Oregon or Ohio? Just curious because we may have a similar decision to make!

I did like Florida as well and thought their LA facilities were not excellent but not bad either. My main concern with florida is their LA caseload, its almost entirely equine. I had a food animal interest and I am concerned about gaining experience.

I did like Florida as well and thought their LA facilities were not excellent but not bad either. My main concern with florida is their LA caseload, its almost entirely equine. I had a food animal interest and I am concerned about gaining experience.

I'm right there with you! I am food animal interest as well. They do however have the Food Animal certificate if that helps you feel better! :confused:

I'm right there with you! I am food animal interest as well. They do however have the Food Animal certificate if that helps you feel better! :confused:

Oh I know they do and I work with the UF food animal faculty and they have admitted that outside of cattle, they do not really do much with other food animals.

Oh I know they do and I work with the UF food animal faculty and they have admitted that outside of cattle, they do not really do much with other food animals.

Yeah, I know how you feel. I am very interested in swine... :(

NStarz- When you say OSU, do you mean Oklahoma, Oregon or Ohio? Just curious because we may have a similar decision to make!

Whoops, sorry, should have specified. I am referring to to Ohio State.

Does anyone specifically remember Mr. Orsini saying that he would be sending emails out on the 15th? I remember him talking about notifying us on the 15th and sending letters out but when I thought about it I wasn't sure if he said emails or meant snail mail. Thanks!

He said emails with official letters to follow.

Does anyone specifically remember Mr. Orsini saying that he would be sending emails out on the 15th? I remember him talking about notifying us on the 15th and sending letters out but when I thought about it I wasn't sure if he said emails or meant snail mail. Thanks!

Aww...Mr. Orsini. I think he might die a little when he reads that. Are you dying Jonathan?

Good luck to everyone! I hope you hear good news tomorrow.

Anyone else refreshing their email every 5 minutes today?

Anyone else refreshing their email every 5 minutes today?
I am! My heart starts to race every time I hear the email notification sound on my phone. It gunna be a rough day (or two), I hope to hear soon! I'm about to leave for work so I won't be able to check my email till 6:30 tonight, it will be good to give my nerves a break for a little while.