UF c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am assuming the answer to my question is a yes, but does anyone know if UF students have free access to VIN?

Yes...all vet students have free access to VIN

Members don't see this ad.

Once we are accepted as IS students, is there any other proof of residency that we need to prove for tuition purposes? Or was the initial application all we need to do?

Once we are accepted as IS students, is there any other proof of residency that we need to prove for tuition purposes? Or was the initial application all we need to do?

If you were accepted as an in state student than there's nothing else you need to do. UF already has the proof it needs if it accepted you as in state. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question, I'm an IS student looking to apply for c/o 2017. I just saw on their website that Microbiology and Genetics have to be taken at a 4 year university in order to qualify.. I took Genetics at a 4 year university, however I had to take Microbiology at a 2 year college a few years ago when i lived in NJ due to financial constraints. Do you know if this will automatically disqualify me from being accepted? The class transferred to Rutgers to count for my major so I didn't think anything of it.. I'd hate to have to take it again!!

Quick question, I'm an IS student looking to apply for c/o 2017. I just saw on their website that Microbiology and Genetics have to be taken at a 4 year university in order to qualify.. I took Genetics at a 4 year university, however I had to take Microbiology at a 2 year college a few years ago when i lived in NJ due to financial constraints. Do you know if this will automatically disqualify me from being accepted? The class transferred to Rutgers to count for my major so I didn't think anything of it.. I'd hate to have to take it again!!

Definitely email Lynette at [email protected].... she is very helpful and will answer any questions you have about pre-requisites!

Lynette is awesome! She helped me sort out my math requirement.... Really, she is very helpful and is great about emailing and staying in contact with you!

Has anyone off the waitlist has a reply? I suppose it's too early, but I'm so anxious. :D

Lynette is awesome! She helped me sort out my math requirement.... Really, she is very helpful and is great about emailing and staying in contact with you!

Yes definitely call her, she helped me out with one of my classes too!:thumbup:

Has anyone off the waitlist has a reply? I suppose it's too early, but I'm so anxious. :D

I haven't but Jonathon did think to seem I'd hear back in March so it's only a matter of time...

I'm on the alternate list too and heard that we really can hear anytime... I'm in the same boat as you and so anxious! I have heard that there isn't a holding deposit people have to pay to secure their spot, so you may not hear till later, but don't let it discourage you! Fingers crossed for all on the alternate list and congrats to all those who were accepted!!! :)

Feel free to add me on facebook, would love to get to know everyone better!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1243050044&ref=tn_tnmn

I just declined my acceptance today and Jonathan told me that that a lot of people will be waiting until april to decide.

Gville is very bike friendly. I personally walk. I live 0.5 miles from my door to the door of the vet school. A lot of my classmates ride their bikes or take the bus to class.
If you don't mind me asking... where do you live that is so close?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a pretty insignificant thing, but I just realized that I never got to see the classrooms on my tour. I kind of want to know what they look like since we'll be spending 2 years there... I also remember a student saying that she has no idea how the class of 2016 will even fit in them because it was a tight squeeze for her class. Any current students (or people who saw the rooms on the tour) want to describe the rooms and give some insight into the overcrowding situation??

This is a pretty insignificant thing, but I just realized that I never got to see the classrooms on my tour. I kind of want to know what they look like since we'll be spending 2 years there... I also remember a student saying that she has no idea how the class of 2016 will even fit in them because it was a tight squeeze for her class. Any current students (or people who saw the rooms on the tour) want to describe the rooms and give some insight into the overcrowding situation??

Sophomore year you'll be in the new auditorium which just opened this year. It's really big with comfy chairs that are on wheels. I'm not sure if you'll be in Shands next year which is across the street (we were there first semester). If so that classroom is normal lecture hall style with chairs attached to those long bench desks. They're quite comfortable. If you're in Lecture Hall A which is what we're in now it's also lecture hall style, the seats are a bit less comfortable but still fine for 4 hours of lecture. If they want to put you guys in there they'll be making some changes this summer to put in more desks. If not, you'll be in Shands which isn't a big deal. In fact, we're the first freshmen class to be in Lecture Hall A. All before have been in Shands. Positives about Shands is that there are lots of choices for buying food when you didn't bring lunch. At the vet school your only choices to buy lunch are from the bookstore or from Einstein's.

Don't worry about the overcrowding situation. They'll have somewhere for you guys to go in August.

So Chinola (and any other current students)... this whole dress code thing. How strict are they?
If I wear dark jeans and a nice blouse it that considered ok? Or do they really want like slacks? I don't want to buy a bunch of new clothes :(

So Chinola (and any other current students)... this whole dress code thing. How strict are they?
If I wear dark jeans and a nice blouse it that considered ok? Or do they really want like slacks? I don't want to buy a bunch of new clothes :(

Not strict at all. We all started out wearing slacks and nice shirts. I bought soooo many new clothes over the summer since they just started the dress code this summer and we didn't know how strict it would be. I wear jeans and a t-shirt pretty much every day now. The other days I wear scrubs (supposed to be solid color but they don't enforce that either). I've never seen anyone get in trouble for their clothes. We've had girls and guys wearing shorts lately. Have a couple nice outfits (like 2 lol) just in case but they have not enforced dress code at all this year and no one really dresses up anymore.

Sophomore year you'll be in the new auditorium which just opened this year. It's really big with comfy chairs that are on wheels. I'm not sure if you'll be in Shands next year which is across the street (we were there first semester). If so that classroom is normal lecture hall style with chairs attached to those long bench desks. They're quite comfortable. If you're in Lecture Hall A which is what we're in now it's also lecture hall style, the seats are a bit less comfortable but still fine for 4 hours of lecture. If they want to put you guys in there they'll be making some changes this summer to put in more desks. If not, you'll be in Shands which isn't a big deal. In fact, we're the first freshmen class to be in Lecture Hall A. All before have been in Shands. Positives about Shands is that there are lots of choices for buying food when you didn't bring lunch. At the vet school your only choices to buy lunch are from the bookstore or from Einstein's.

Don't worry about the overcrowding situation. They'll have somewhere for you guys to go in August.

Thanks Chinola!!

Not strict at all. We all started out wearing slacks and nice shirts. I bought soooo many new clothes over the summer since they just started the dress code this summer and we didn't know how strict it would be. I wear jeans and a t-shirt pretty much every day now. The other days I wear scrubs (supposed to be solid color but they don't enforce that either). I've never seen anyone get in trouble for their clothes. We've had girls and guys wearing shorts lately. Have a couple nice outfits (like 2 lol) just in case but they have not enforced dress code at all this year and no one really dresses up anymore.

Ok because I am a total jeans and t-shirt girl lol. I don't look sloppy as I know they want us to represent the school well, but I just wanted to make sure I didn't need to buy a bunch of clothes. I currently work somewhere with business casual attire, so I have a few things, but not a whole wardrobe. I take it we probably have to wear closed toed shoes though...? Thanks!

Ok because I am a total jeans and t-shirt girl lol. I don't look sloppy as I know they want us to represent the school well, but I just wanted to make sure I didn't need to buy a bunch of clothes. I currently work somewhere with business casual attire, so I have a few things, but not a whole wardrobe. I take it we probably have to wear closed toed shoes though...? Thanks!

You're allowed to wear sandals but technically not "beach" type sandals. I wear "nice" sandals every day. I know a lot of people that do wear the "beach" type sandals and they've never had any problems. You'll obviously need shoes for anatomy lab that are closed toed but probably nothing you own now. I went and bought work shoes at Walmart for anatomy that were waterproof and easily disposable. And then for large animal anatomy I bought a pair of boots since it's even nastier.

I know I'm a little late, but I was wait listed. I got a voicemail yesterday from Mr. Orsini saying I should call him as soon as possible and today there was an email-- I've been accepted!!!!! Now I have 6 days to make a decision, yikes!:D

ahhh that's so exciting! congrats!! I've been watching the thread to see when waitlist action would come about...I'm waitlisted and the waiting is killing me...

I know I'm a little late, but I was wait listed. I got a voicemail yesterday from Mr. Orsini saying I should call him as soon as possible and today there was an email-- I've been accepted!!!!! Now I have 6 days to make a decision, yikes!:D

Congrats!! I always hope that everyone gets good news...even though I know it can't happen.

WOOT! I'm off the waitlist! Now I'm super torn, because I didn't think I'd have a chance, so I've been getting myself all excited for Scotland (my other choice). They both have some really important qualities, and some pretty significant drawbacks...

Hey guys. I called UF and they said only 1-2 people off the IS waitlist will get a spot in the class. So if you are not at the very top, it looks like you will not be getting a call.

Hey guys. I called UF and they said only 1-2 people off the IS waitlist will get a spot in the class. So if you are not at the very top, it looks like you will not be getting a call.

Ouch. I will say that two years ago, my friend got a call late June, so you never know. Hang in there everyone.

Yeah I heard the same thing. The only possible thing that can really happen is people get called off OOS waitlist and they want to go there more so they withdraw at UF.

Yeah I heard the same thing. The only possible thing that can really happen is people get called off OOS waitlist and they want to go there more so they withdraw at UF.

Like me with Auburn. Althougth I think the extra 80k is gonna keep me at FL.Big decision if I get the call. :luck:and :xf: for everyone!

Hey guys!

I'm OOS and got accepted! I wondering what living in Gainesville is like- especially where to live. I'm looking for apartments, but could definitely use some help. I'm looking online at hidden village, polos of gainesville, and oxford manner.

I also would like to know if there are parks or dog parks nearby. Where do you go to exercise your dogs?

Thanks!

SO I currently live in Gainesville and I would not live in a property owned by Paradigm aka the Polos or Oxford. I feel they are way over priced especially if you bring animals into the situation. They both however are very close to the vet school, as is hidden village. Are you looking mainly for 1/1 and closeness to the school. Because no matter where you live in gainesville the university and the vet school are dead center so you can get to them pretty easily if you live further out. You can walk you dogs anywhere as there are a lot of sidewalks. There is a huge dogpark off of Archer called Dogwood but you have to pay for admissions. I've never been there as I have cats but I heard its nice.

Now for my advertisement. So I'm on the instate waitlist YAY! (not) anyway I've applied for a back up masters in business and was accepted so no matter what I will be living in Gville unless Oklahoma calls me *fingers crossed*. Anyway the condo I currently live in is a 2/2 and my roommate is leaving and I need to find another one to split cost. It is SUPER nice and runs about 500 a month a piece including utilities no pet rent only a $100 deposit and you get your own 1/1. I love this place. Your room would have vaulted ceilings and a window that looks out into our courtyard. We have a screened in patio upgraded kitchen. Its just fab. I love the location it is close to shopping, grocery and not that far for the vet school and has direct access to the busses and there is a small free dog park near by.

As far as a roommate goes female preferably and if you have a dog it MUST be cat friendly. My landlord also ask that dogs be of the smaller variety. Not a toy but nothing like great danes, rotties, dobies or any giant breeds. My roommate currently has a 40lb pit cross that is fine. Private message me for pictures further details ect.

YAY FUTURE CLASSMATE!!! CONGRATS!!! :D Are you the person that just added themselves to the FB page?:D

My Facebook is deactivated right now, so I may have to get back on to join the group!

Hey guys!

I'm OOS and got accepted! I wondering what living in Gainesville is like- especially where to live. I'm looking for apartments, but could definitely use some help. I'm looking online at hidden village, polos of gainesville, and oxford manner.

I also would like to know if there are parks or dog parks nearby. Where do you go to exercise your dogs?

Thanks!

There is a nice public dog park called Squirrel Ridge. It's not very far from the vet school and the apartment area you are looking at. :)

The class is set!! :biglove:
Can't wait to meet everyone!

If you are still waiting to hear... please see the alternate survivor thread for what I just posted.

I got my official (IS) rejection yesterday :'( so I guess they're starting to notify waitlisters :(

I got my official (IS) rejection yesterday :'( so I guess they're starting to notify waitlisters :(

Sorry to hear that :(. Get a file review and stick with it! Best of :luck: to you!

Thank you Emiloo! Best of luck to you and all the decisions you have to make, I know you'll make the right one at the end :) Now, I need to prepare for next cycle...argh! Another year of stress and craziness.

Thank you Emiloo! Best of luck to you and all the decisions you have to make, I know you'll make the right one at the end :) Now, I need to prepare for next cycle...argh! Another year of stress and craziness.

I can't believe how fast the next cycle comes up! You sit here and wait for decisions from schools and forget that you have to apply again in a few months! lol Best of luck to you! I think FL is going to be my decision.

Hi everyone!

I am also starting vet school at UF this fall and am hoping to find a roommate. I found a 2 bedroom/2.5 bathroom townhouse with a fenced backyard. The complex is super pet friendly (they have off-leash, fenced dog runs everywhere, including one by the pool so the dogs can hang out while you swim!) and I have an entire apartment's worth of furniture including a washer and dryer that you'd be more than welcome to use.

I have 2 dogs (a pug and a great dane) and 2 rescue kitties that are all very well behaved and friendly with all other animals. The rent is $800 a month, so $400 each and each bedroom has its own bathroom along with a half bath downstairs. If you want to look up the complex, just google "Rocky Point Apartments in Gainesville" and you should find the floorplans. My favorite aspect of the complex is that you can get to the vet school using back roads so you don't have to go on the main, traffic-filled roads!

I'm filling out the application tomorrow and was hoping to just rent it myself until I could find a roommate. A little about me: I'm a female, 25 years old and obviously pretty studious, very clean and respectful. I've had roommates all my life and gotten along well with everyone.

Let me know if any of this sounds good to you!
If not, good luck and I look forward to meeting you!

Just so you know, that place has a two pet maximum policy and is $200 +25/month for dogs and 100+ $25/month for cats. It was a problem for me so I thought I'd share in case you weren't aware ( I totally did not mean to rhyme).

They must have changed their policy because they told me that I'd pay one flat pet fee up front and then I could have as many pets as I wanted.

They must have changed their policy because they told me that I'd pay one flat pet fee up front and then I could have as many pets as I wanted.

Oh ok, if they told you that directly then nevermind. Just wanted to make sure. :D