UF c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
submitted :xf::xf::scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have 3/4 of the diversity essay left to be able to submit on VMCAS. I really really hate that prompt

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Ill send you mine if you want to read it. I had my to lor folks read it. My vet had me scrap it totally 3 times abd then really fix it twice after that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ill send you mine if you want to read it. I had my to lor folks read it. My vet had me scrap it totally 3 times abd then really fix it twice after that.

I would love that. Mine just seems very... whiny. Which is no bueno for me because I'm not a whiny person about my diversity.

Do you think it's okay if the diversity statements is not 5000 characters? Mine is 1300, but I've said everything that I really want to say.

Mine ended up being about 3600. I think as long as you have something valuable to say, it's ok to use the full character amount if you need to, but definitely don't fill up the space just because it's there. They have a little writing tips thing and it said "The purpose of this piece is to describe what unique and diverse qualities, attributes, insights, and experiences you have to contribute as a veterinary student and eventually as a veterinarian. Veterinary medicine is a community, and we want to know what you have to contribute to that community." So I focused more on unique experiences/perspectives etc, rather than something I could use the explanation statement for.

Guys I realize I'm probably late but an FYI about diversity statements. You don't have to sound whiny and talk about all of your problems. I literally compared cupcakes to veterinary medicine and how my hobby would make me a good veterinarian. Honest to God that was what I wrote about and it was brought up in my interviews. They loved it.

Reactions: 1 users
Although I had to tell myself they didn't average my retakes with my other classes, my app is done completely:clap::soexcited::clap::claps:. Now I wait :scared:

I have really been struggling with this prompt, so any advice would be helpful.
I thought about writing about how I was in the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (middle school and part of high school) and that it introduced me to various volunteer opportunities at a young age (we were required a certain amount of community service hours). I wasn't sure if I should mention how the IB program was brought to a school in our town because if the test scores didn't improve, it was going to be turned into a bomb shelter.

I called the admissions office in a total panic and got a chuckle on the other end. They said the sheet was talking about their biochem which includes a lab. They don't require the lab for pre-req so a 3 credit hr course is just fine. Hell my biochem course 75% was an A grade, I'm not retaking that. I pulled that up from a C- the first time I took it to a B (74..so close). As much as I like biochem, I was waking up and writing out the equations from memory. I saw mechanisms in my sleep :eek:.

Just FYI--not a single U.S. Vet school requires Biochem to have a lab. Same goes for Genetics.

Hey everyone, for the supplemental---- did anyone else have more than 5 colleges they have attended? I have attended 6, yet they only allow you to add up to 5. How do I add my 6th school? Thanks!

Hi everyone! UF undergrad here applying this cycle. Let me know if you have any questions about Gainesville or UF in general. :happy:

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have any idea how expensive it is to live in the area? And how's parking at the school? Thanks!

There is a very wide range for apartments. You can find some apartments as cheap as $350/month, but those are further from campus and you'll usually have a few roommates. The apartments near campus are usually $500-750/month, some include utilities. Right now I live next to campus (about a 5 min drive to the vet school), and pay $450 for rent and ~$70 for utilities (~$520/month).
Parking is horrendous! All of us undergrads (and even a lot of the vets at the hospital) think UF's parking is a joke. To park next to the vet school you have to purchase a $160 decal. This does not guarantee you parking either. There were many times I would have to run a mile to my shift at the vet hospital because all three parking lots were full.

I graduated from UF in 2010 so things might be different now, but when I was taking a animal science course at the vet school as a undergrad I distinctly remember that if you didn't go to the vet school the very first thing in the morning you wouldn't find parking.

I graduated from UF in 2010 so things might be different now, but when I was taking a animal science course at the vet school as a undergrad I distinctly remember that if you didn't go to the vet school the very first thing in the morning you wouldn't find parking.
It's still like this! I got lucky for my 9am shifts this past spring and summer, but I've never really been able to find parking. :(

Im kicking myself for not saying I want to do The USDA program and probably work with them until retirement. I want to work in high need areas just found out my friend in the AF's old town really needs a vet through the USDA page. Hoping I get in this cycle I really want to help and its what I want to go into..beef, small ruminant and equine.

Hey y'all! 2020er here and just want to wish y'all good luck. Enjoy the process and your last year in undergrad because in a blink of an eye you'll be studying anatomy 24/7...or in my case procrastinating studying for our quiz tomorrow. Try not to stress too much, and hopefully I'll see some of you at interviews. Go Gators!

Last edited:
Has anyone gotten any sort of confirmation from the school that they have received all your materials or otherwise? I haven't heard anything since the emailed me to make a GatorLink account.

Has anyone gotten any sort of confirmation from the school that they have received all your materials or otherwise? I haven't heard anything since the emailed me to make a GatorLink account.

Yes I got an e mail from them that said my pre requisites where all filled and that the only outstanding I had was biochem and microbio. So I guess that means my application was confirmed.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when they usually start sending out interview invites?

Their website isn't very clear, but it implies February? That seems super late, so I'm thinking they're sent earlier (like December) and take place in February. I need to e-mail and ask.

Their website isn't very clear, but it implies February? That seems super late, so I'm thinking they're sent earlier (like December) and take place in February. I need to e-mail and ask.

Yea, I would love to find out. Since then I will know if I need to still take Calculus in the Spring or not! If you email, please let me know what they say! Thanks!

Good luck to all my fellow floridians trying to ride out this storm!! It's my first hurricane, but I'm in Orlando so hopefully it won't be too terrible...☔️

Interviews will be in February and invites are sent usually mid January. Unfortunately they are one of the later schools to send invites so you guys have a lot of downtime. Just enjoy yourselves and try not to worry too much. Also a small batch of students will get early interviews sometime in November but don't focus on these. It's a very small portion of the applicant pool and majority are out of state. Getting an early interview does not increase your chances of getting accepted so don't panic if you are selected for one ;)

My friend got a rejection email from UF a couple days ago- and I haven't, so I guess I survived the first round of cuts. (Either that or they haven't gotten to the O's yet).

Reactions: 2 users
Just curious, but what email did they email your friend? Was it through gator link or their regular email address they used on their application?

Did your friend have an incomplete application? Just wondering. Thanks!
I don't think so. She said that she got a generic "thank you for applying, unfortunately we have so many applicants, we are unable to accept you at this time". She had a pretty low GPA (Maybe under 3.0?) so that's probably why.

Just curious, but what email did they email your friend? Was it through gator link or their regular email address they used on their application?
She said it was through her personal email.

They should be sending any correspondence to the email you put on the application, not your gatorlink.

I got an email my gre scores were missing sept 21 and the next day got this

Your GRE scores have come in via regular mail to our office. I just wanted to let you know that we have them and your file is complete. Should you be selected for review we will go over your coursework for prerequisite verification. If anything else comes up we will notify you via email immediately.

Congrats to you guys getting interview invites. My UFCVM application still says my VMCAS application has not been received :(

I saw this and then my phone beeped to tell me that I had an email and I got really excited. And it was just a spam email..

Are you applying IS or IOS?
I'm applying OOS (Maryland)
Do you mind sharing your stats?
GPA: 3.99 cumulative, 3.98 science, 3.98 last 45
GRE: 157 V, 161 Q, 4.0 W
My UFCVM application still says my VMCAS application has not been received :(
They sent out an email on 9/8 saying that they are no longer using the UFCVM portal to track submission of materials. My supplemental application still says that too, so don't worry about it. As long as VMCAS showed your GRE as being received for UF and you submitted your application, they should have it.

Sounds to me like they are trying to interview the top folks who usually ( per class stats) have a higher chance of declining. Vet Im riding with today thinks so too.

Hi everyone! I'm a current 2nd year and have been around the interview process for 2 years now. If you guys need any tips or advice I'm happy to help :). Hope to see EVERYONE at interviews!

I also got an invite for 11/19! I'm OOS. My stats are not nearly as high as some of y'all!

GPA: 3.41 overall, 3.54 last 45, 3.3 science.
GRE: V-164, Q-166, W-5

Hope to meet some of you there! :)

Is it safe to assume if we haven't gotten a rejection email that our folder is being reviewed?

Got an email from UFCVM yesterday, I got really excited for about two seconds then I read that they only wanted clarification on one of my prerequisites. :laugh:

Is it safe to assume if we haven't gotten a rejection email that our folder is being reviewed?

Yes. Most interviews I think are in January or February. This is only first round early interviews. I'm sure there will be many more to come! Good luck!

Last edited:
Hey! Does anyone know if all the early interview invites are sent out on the same day? Is there any chance that they'll be sending out some more over the next few days?

I just got my early interview invitation the other day. I'm IS so I didn't think I would have any issue getting to UF for the interview but I'm scheduled for the morning of a wedding I'm attending in MD where I'm a bridesmaid. They were willing to change it to a Skype interview, instead of just pushing me to the regular admissions interviews. I don't want to read too much into it but I hope it's a good sign that they would prefer to interview me early.

I just got my early interview invitation the other day. I'm IS so I didn't think I would have any issue getting to UF for the interview but I'm scheduled for the morning of a wedding I'm attending in MD where I'm a bridesmaid. They were willing to change it to a Skype interview, instead of just pushing me to the regular admissions interviews. I don't want to read too much into it but I hope it's a good sign that they would prefer to interview me early.

I may have to miss a friend's wedding for the same reason.. This is our future career, and it is hard to try and make both work. I understand you want to be there for your friend (as do I) but mine totally understands if I can't make it.