UF DPT 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ptbobby

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw that one person already got accepted...has anyone else received a decision yet? Good or bad?

Members don't see this ad.

I got in but will be declining my acceptance to go to Nova.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ive been fully committed to Nova for a while now and there is really no going back. But to put it simply... Money... Class size... Word of mouth... People I've talked to in the program itself... Past and current students etc. I just got a waaay better vibe about Nova than I did UF. But to each their own. It's just a personal opinion.

Ive been fully committed to Nova for a while now and there is really no going back. But to put it simply... Money... Class size... Word of mouth... People I've talked to in the program itself... Past and current students etc. I just got a waaay better vibe about Nova than I did UF. But to each their own. It's just a personal opinion.

Congratulations on getting into both schools! UF is very competitive, may I ask what your stats are? When did UF inform you of your acceptance?

cGPA: 3.75
pGPA: 3.62
GRE: 152Q 148V 4.5AW
250+ hours in 8 settings

And I got the email about a week ago.

That's two so far...Has anyone else heard back recently?

Many current students I talked to said they didn't hear back until mid to late Feb last year...hopefully it's on the same timeline

Reactions: 1 user
I got a UF acceptance today :) I have a couple interviews in the next 2 weeks though, so I will have some serious deliberating to do.

I got a UF acceptance today :) I have a couple interviews in the next 2 weeks though, so I will have some serious deliberating to do.
Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats?

Sure.
BFA from FSU
overall GPA: 3.69
PT pre-req: 3.84
GRE V: 156 Q: 146 AW: 4.0
over 1500 hrs working at PT clinic and 20 obs hrs in peds and hospital.

I declined my UF spot via email yesterday, should open up a spot for someone !

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be going to UF in the fall :) Anyone else??

Seems like it's been a while since anyone has heard anything...is anyone else still waiting on UF's reply too?!

I have not heard anything from them either. There are a few schools that are taking their time so who knows. Good luck though! What other schools are you looking at?

I have not heard anything from them either. There are a few schools that are taking their time so who knows. Good luck though! What other schools are you looking at?
I was wait listed at nova and usf and haven't heard anything from fiu and uf yet....hoping for some good news soon!
UF would be my first choice

How long did it take to hear back from them from the time you submitted your application in PTCAS? I know they do rolling admissions so just trying to get a good idea.

My sister and I were both accepting into UF last week. We both submitted our applications Sept. 30th and they processed them by mid October. Hope this helps a little!

I received my acceptance via email on Thursday and will be attending UF this fall!

@Naildriven07 and @asr83091 congrats to you both! Do you guys mind sharing your stats?

Thank you! and of course :)
my cumulative GPA is 3.87
Pre-req GPA is 3.61 I think but I'm finishing one pre-req lab right now
GRE Verbal 153 Quantitative 153 Writing 4.0
and I completed ~120 hours in 5 different settings

Ya of course,
Cumulative GPA: 3.77
Pre-req GPA: 3.6
GRE: 154Q, 149V, 3.5W
240 PT observation hours in outpatient, inpatient, and swing bed settings
1000+ hours of working as a student athletic trainer at various sites to include: Cincinnati Reds AA baseball team, colligate sports, and high school sports
Prior military experience (Marine Corps)
Worked 2 years as a personal trainer, and personal training supervisor for a Division II university

As you can see, I don't have the best numbers, but I believe it was my experience that got me in.

Interesting, I've never heard of someone committing to NSU over UF for your reasons.

A. NSU is almost double the tution of UF
B. Living in south florida is almost triple that of living in Gainesville
C. The classes size is much bigger at NSU

Your post almost seems backwards. Either way Good luck and congrats I'm just wondering if things have changed that dramatically between the two.

Interesting, I've never heard of someone committing to NSU over UF for your reasons.

A. NSU is almost double the tution of UF
B. Living in south florida is almost triple that of living in Gainesville
C. The classes size is much bigger at NSU

Your post almost seems backwards. Either way Good luck and congrats I'm just wondering if things have changed that dramatically between the two.

I also chose NSU over other schools and, actually...

A. NSU is only about 5k more a year for in-state students and, for out of state students, it's cheaper than UF
B. As a born and raised Floridian, that's quite the exaggeration. Apartments are about twice the cost but, for someone who vastly prefers living in South FL, that may be worth it. They may also wind up saving money by having more potential clinics in the area and not having to travel for clinicals. Personally, school would have to be approximately free to get me to live in Gainesville for three years.
C. UF has a class size of 70 and NSU has a class size of 50
D. Just to add, NSU has over a month more clinical experience in the curriculum

My thoughts exactly, Livelifelifting. But like i said before, to each their own. I'm also an out-of-stater so it's definitely not cheaper at UF. Living is a personal choice. I'd rather drop the extra cash and be in soflo than live in Gainesville any day.

For those applicants that applied out-of-state and are still waiting, I received an acceptance on 3/12. I declined my seat, but wanted to inform others that they are still sending out acceptances. Best of luck to all!

For those applicants that applied out-of-state and are still waiting, I received an acceptance on 3/12. I declined my seat, but wanted to inform others that they are still sending out acceptances. Best of luck to all!
Would you mind sharing your stats?! and any particular reason why you declined?

Would you mind sharing your stats?! and any particular reason why you declined?

Hello friend, but of course.

Major: Exercise Science
Minor: Biology & Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.35
Last 102 credit hours: 4.0
Pre-Req GPA: 3.83
GRE: 154 Q, 155 V, 5.5 W
Observation: 220 total hours

I came back to get my bachelor's degree in exercise science. Needless to say, I had to repair my GPA from the two associates degrees I received during my time in community college. As you can see, my overall GPA is mediocre at best, but I did maintain a 4.0 GPA through the last 102 credit hours, which was practically my whole bachelor's degree.

I declined my seat because they informed me that I would be considered out-of-state for the entire duration of the program with no chance of gaining in-state residency. At roughly $32,000 per year for tuition ($96,000 total), I had better options here in my home state of North Carolina. They have an excellent program and I would have loved to gone to UF, but time and time again I'm reminded by physical therapists that I have shadowed that I need to plan for a potential starting salary of about $60,000. Based on this salary and my future predicted student loan debt, I had to make a logical decision versus using my emotions. Plus, I would have been an outcast wearing garnet and gold in class...go Seminoles! Hah!

I just got en email today around 5:00 from UF offering me a position on the waitlist. Does anyone know what the chances of getting off the waitlist are or if they waitlist a lot of candidates? Thanks!

Just got a wait list email this afternoon too! Very surprised since my all my hours were at the same place (hospital and outpatient clinic at same site) so I thought they would just toss my application because of my stupid oversight! This definitely would make my school decision more difficult if I got in! o_O

Wait listed too. Sounds like there were no denials just wait list for those not accepted

Wait listed too. Sounds like there were no denials just wait list for those not accepted

I've had a few friends get denied this cycle from UF. I think if you had above a 3.3 GPA you got "waitlisted"

maybe..who knows.

I got an email yesterday saying I was wait listed as well.

Hi!
I was just accepted to the Master's of Occupational Therapy program and will be starting in the Fall! Only one other person has posted their acceptance on the UF OT board so far and she already lives in Gainesville - so I'm posting in some other forums hoping to find other responsible grad/professional students to potentially live with. My classes are on the South side of the school (HPNP building right next to the College of Medicine). I am looking for off campus housing that is either a reasonable walk or along a bus line to campus. I have a car but I would like to avoid driving/parking on campus if I can. I have only visited the campus once so I don't know the area too well, but I am thinking somewhere between where the Vet School is on Archer and downtown. I am open to suggestions!

I think the biggest things I am looking for in a living situation are responsible & clean roommates and a decent size kitchen. Cooking is one of my biggest hobbies. I make lots of juices and smoothies so I would like to have counter space to bring my blender, juicer and food processor and not annoy any roommates by doing so. Of course all my roommates will be welcome to use any of my kitchen stuff! I would love to live with other people who like to try to eat healthy. A washer and dryer in unit would also be preferable but I could live without it. Hoping to stay under $600/month - not too sure of my exact budget yet but I know those "luxury apartments" with the really sweet kitchens are beyond my budget lol ;)
I'm going to cut myself off before this gets too long. Please PM me with some info about yourself and any questions you have about me if you are interested in looking for housing with me. I plan to visit the weekend of April 4th-6th, but am only 2.5 hrs away so I can visit any weekend.
Thanks! :)
Crystal

I was just accepted last week to UF and having a real hard time deciding between schools. I'm also in the lone school in my home state at UMMC which is roughly a total of about 45k and UF will be about 95k for me. Does anyone have any input on whether they think there are really that many more opportunities coming from a school like UF?

I was just accepted last week to UF and having a real hard time deciding between schools. I'm also in the lone school in my home state at UMMC which is roughly a total of about 45k and UF will be about 95k for me. Does anyone have any input on whether they think there are really that many more opportunities coming from a school like UF?

From what I've been able to gather from this forum and from currently practicing physical therapists, there are not that many more opportunities. I was also accepted to UF as an out-of-state student, but I could not justify paying the additional expense when there were better financial options available to me. You know your situation better than anyone, so it's important to consider all variables and not just the name of a school. I thought long and hard about UF and the other choices I had and logical reasoning won out over emotional reasoning. I would think that there were more opportunities available to you in your home state of Mississippi with UMMC being the only PT school in your state. I'm not familiar with the program at UMMC, but you have to imagine that every year it is the only school producing physical therapists in the entire state. I am sure there are PT's coming from outside of the state to practice in Mississippi and some that are leaving the state to practice elsewhere, but just based on that information I would think more opportunity was available to you by attending UMMC. In comparison, my home state now has 8 PT programs (2 new programs), eventually the schools will combine to graduate over 300 physical therapists vying for employment in my state. Additionally, if at the end of school you intend to practice in Mississippi, I would imagine that going to UMMC and taking part in clinical rotations within the state would allow you to establish contacts for future employment. Again, not knowing your entire situation, I would be wise in considering all variables as you decide on which school to attend.

My general gist of DPT while being a member of this forum: Save money, doesn't matter where you get your DPT, PT's are in high demand.

I would stay home for sure, especially if you could save THAT much money. In the end you will have that "DPT" after your name.

OneWarrior and StudentRehab, thank you both for your opinion. Your comment on logical reasoning and emotional reasoning really stood out as UF is definitely the school I would love to attend and have always wanted to as a kid, but logically I do realize PT's do not make what everyone seems to believe they do and that's a lot of debt coming out of school. I will tell y'all that my goal is to do a Sports Residency (if accepted) immediately after completion of my DPT. My dream job would be to work with elite athletes either in a well-known outpatient clinic or with a team. With the state of FL having more major schools and professional teams, I just wonder if my chances of making the right connection or the fact I graduated from UF would benefit me that much more. Also, it is by no means a necessity for me to work and live in MS for the rest of my life. While both UF and UMMC have a Sports Residency, I do know it is possible to get that dream job as I know of 2 different graduates from UMMC that went on to work with with the Orlando Magic and the other with the Saints. It's just a very tough decision, I do not want to look back and have regrets when it's all said and done.

OneWarrior and StudentRehab, thank you both for your opinion. Your comment on logical reasoning and emotional reasoning really stood out as UF is definitely the school I would love to attend and have always wanted to as a kid, but logically I do realize PT's do not make what everyone seems to believe they do and that's a lot of debt coming out of school. I will tell y'all that my goal is to do a Sports Residency (if accepted) immediately after completion of my DPT. My dream job would be to work with elite athletes either in a well-known outpatient clinic or with a team. With the state of FL having more major schools and professional teams, I just wonder if my chances of making the right connection or the fact I graduated from UF would benefit me that much more. Also, it is by no means a necessity for me to work and live in MS for the rest of my life. While both UF and UMMC have a Sports Residency, I do know it is possible to get that dream job as I know of 2 different graduates from UMMC that went on to work with with the Orlando Magic and the other with the Saints. It's just a very tough decision, I do not want to look back and have regrets when it's all said and done.

I completely understand that you do not want to look back and have regrets when it's all said and done. I went through the same decision-making process that you are going through right now. I turned down UF and Duke after a long and tedious process of looking at a number of variables and ultimately considering both the best and worst case scenarios for my future as a practitioner. Like you, I want to complete a residency after attaining my DPT and I thought by attending Duke or UF that this would give me a 'better shot' at gaining that residency spot because both schools offer residency programs. However, after contacting the residency coordinator at Duke, I could not bank on gaining a spot in one of the residency programs. They receive over 20 applications for each residency and only take 1 resident for each program. I'm not trying to be a 'debbie downer', but statistically speaking that is less than a 5% chance of being 'the one'. Gaining acceptance into a PT program is a huge accomplishment in it of itself, but now you are going to be up against the 'cream of the crop'. I'm not sure how many applications UF receives for their sports residency program, but I want to assume it has to be similar to Duke's sport residency program. You could definitely be 'the one', but if that is a major factor in your decision-making process I would definitely pause for consideration. Florida has 10 PT programs and roughly graduates over 400 PT students per year, over 1,200 physical therapists will be in the employment market before you yourself would graduate. I imagine there are quite a few future physical therapists in that bunch that want to work with elite athletes. Again, I'm not trying to be 'that guy', but in my own decision-making process I had to be realistic with myself with the possible future scenarios that I may encounter. As I mentioned before, I want to complete a residency program upon graduation and also I would like to work in a prestigious outpatient orthopedic clinic. However, if that does not come to fruition, I'd rather have less student loan debt because I would surely be reminded every month for the next 120 months when I am paying $700-800 extra dollars for that tuition difference. My point is, you may make that right connection and some future employer may consider the fact that you graduated from UF to be important, but that is no guarantee. However, what you are guaranteed is that extra $50,000 in tuition plus interest you will have to pay back when it is all said and done. With that being said, I am all for shooting high, reaching your full potential, and going for that dream job. I try to live that in my own daily life, but I make sure to look at both sides of the coin.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone been accepted off of the wait list? Or has heard of any movement happening to the wait list?

Has anyone been accepted off of the wait list? Or has heard of any movement happening to the wait list?

haven't heard anything from there. Not many acceptances/attendees are posting here either if they have a class size of ~80.

haven't heard anything from there. Not many acceptances/attendees are posting here either if they have a class size of ~80.
My thoughts exactly. With their class size being so big, you would think more people would be posting on here.