Program-Specific Info / Q's UF MOT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MmOT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am new to this site I found out last Saturday that I was accepted into UF's conditional MOT program! Has anybody else heard back from them yet? I live out of state so any information on Gainesville including places to live in the area would be super helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There certainly is no shortage of apartments here; almost all having bus service. I'm on the wait list for this program but have lived in gville since 2005 and did my undergrad there. What else would you like to know about the campus/city?

Hello everyone! I am new to this site I found out last Saturday that I was accepted into UF's conditional MOT program! Has anybody else heard back from them yet? I live out of state so any information on Gainesville including places to live in the area would be super helpful!

Congrats! I am starting the MOT program in May and graduated from UF in May 2015. Yeah there's plenty of reasonably priced apartments that have access to direct bus routes going to campus. I am also looking for a roommate starting in the Fall as well. Let me know if you have any questions about the classes as I took them my Junior and Senior year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was also accepted and I will be attending! One of my friends was accepted to the vet program and he signed at West 20. I haven't been up to Gainesville to check anything out yet. Does anyone know anything about West 20?

My only advice would be to try and avoid anything too cheap; those places are usually pretty loud and rowdy (places like Cabana Beach and Stoneridge). Don't know much about 20, but I would google it online and read reviews. UF is a huge school with a lot of undergrads, and most of them like to party....trying to find a living situation that is grad student oriented is what I would do.

My only advice would be to try and avoid anything too cheap; those places are usually pretty loud and rowdy (places like Cabana Beach and Stoneridge). Don't know much about 20, but I would google it online and read reviews. UF is a huge school with a lot of undergrads, and most of them like to party....trying to find a living situation that is grad student oriented is what I would do.
Thanks, I'll definitely keep that in mind!

I was also accepted and I will be attending! One of my friends was accepted to the vet program and he signed at West 20. I haven't been up to Gainesville to check anything out yet. Does anyone know anything about West 20?
My daughter lived at 2nd Ave Centre ....they were reasonable and well kept

Hey all! I was wait listed but just found out today that I was accepted! Does anyone know how registration for the Fall and Spring pre-read work? Do they register us or is that mostly up the students? I'm a little worried that it will be hard to get into the Fall courses and I'll end up with a jam packed spring schedule : /

Hey all! I was wait listed but just found out today that I was accepted! Does anyone know how registration for the Fall and Spring pre-read work? Do they register us or is that mostly up the students? I'm a little worried that it will be hard to get into the Fall courses and I'll end up with a jam packed spring schedule : /
My daughter was just accepted in the conditional UF OT program. She emailed Dr. Foss and she replied that they would send out information re: orientation soon. So hopefully they will answer the registration question in their correspondence. I would assume they will reserve spots for the accepted students.

Is there a facebook group for the accepted conditional UF MOT students?

Is there a facebook group for the accepted conditional UF MOT students?
Unfortunately, no. I received an email saying from UF saying that we should refrain from making a Facebook page until they discuss social media at orientation.

Ok.. thank you..
My daughter just got accepted. She is looking for a roommate or a one bedroom apt. If any one needs a room mate or has suggestions for apts. that are geared toward graduate students please post or message me.. thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed Dr. Foss and asked her because it factored into my final decision; she said that they register for us (just have to have all holds cleared, which I assume means fees paid). Also mentioned that the orientation packets should be mailed out soon in the next few weeks.

I am applying next year for the MOT program. I am coming from UCF.
I am nervous that my stats won't get me in for conditional acceptance.
What do everyone else stats look like?

First of all; definitely apply to more than one program if you can. UF is really really competitive (I was rejected right out the first time around for conditional acceptance). I will say this; your stats can certainly keep you from being considered, but they are definitely looking at your application holistically too. I know this because I'm sure that are people with better stats than mine that were rejected. If I had been on this site before I started making my applications, I would probably would have thrown my hands up and not even tried. It seems like most people have really high GPAs so one can definitely feel like it's a lost cause. But if it truly is your passion, DO NOT GIVE UP. When I got rejected the first time I looked at the things I could change and I worked on them. I couldn't go back and fix my screw up in undergrad, so I retook the GRE, broadened my volunteer experience, revamped my essay, and thought more carefully about who I asked for recommendations.

UF says they don't look at cumulative GPA, so keep that in mind. Personally I don't trust this and I think they still consider it.

Cumulative undergrad: 2.8, 3.0 with pre-reqs I took post-bacc but many programs don't count post bac classes in cumulative or upper division GPA calculations

Upper division GPA: 3.23

Pre-req GPA: 4.0

GRE: 167 Verbal, 153 Math, 5 writing (they don't look at writing score though)

5 years working experience in special education

observation/volunteer hours in several settings: hand therapy (20-30 hours), acute care (20 hours), elementary school (20 hours), and residential community for adults with developmental disabilities (50 hours when I applied, over 100 now)

Don't forget that the other parts of your application are equally as important as the "stats" part. Especially if you're lacking in the GPA arena. Make sure you get AWESOME letters of rec from people who know you really well. I've learned that you know you're getting a good letter when the person is excited to write one for you. Your essay weighs HEAVILY. Keep in mind that they don't want to hear the same thing over and over again (i.e. I just want to help people), they read A LOT of essays, so you definitely want to stand out. Have your passion shine through and really show them what experiences you have to offer the profession and your cohort. I had a couple OTs familiar with the college application process and a professor proof-read mine.

Hope this helps! I know it can seem daunting competing against so many people with higher stats than you, but stats aren't everything.

First of all; definitely apply to more than one program if you can. UF is really really competitive (I was rejected right out the first time around for conditional acceptance). I will say this; your stats can certainly keep you from being considered, but they are definitely looking at your application holistically too. I know this because I'm sure that are people with better stats than mine that were rejected. If I had been on this site before I started making my applications, I would probably would have thrown my hands up and not even tried. It seems like most people have really high GPAs so one can definitely feel like it's a lost cause. But if it truly is your passion, DO NOT GIVE UP. When I got rejected the first time I looked at the things I could change and I worked on them. I couldn't go back and fix my screw up in undergrad, so I retook the GRE, broadened my volunteer experience, revamped my essay, and thought more carefully about who I asked for recommendations.

UF says they don't look at cumulative GPA, so keep that in mind. Personally I don't trust this and I think they still consider it.

Cumulative undergrad: 2.8, 3.0 with pre-reqs I took post-bacc but many programs don't count post bac classes in cumulative or upper division GPA calculations

Upper division GPA: 3.23

Pre-req GPA: 4.0

GRE: 167 Verbal, 153 Math, 5 writing (they don't look at writing score though)

5 years working experience in special education

observation/volunteer hours in several settings: hand therapy (20-30 hours), acute care (20 hours), elementary school (20 hours), and residential community for adults with developmental disabilities (50 hours when I applied, over 100 now)

Don't forget that the other parts of your application are equally as important as the "stats" part. Especially if you're lacking in the GPA arena. Make sure you get AWESOME letters of rec from people who know you really well. I've learned that you know you're getting a good letter when the person is excited to write one for you. Your essay weighs HEAVILY. Keep in mind that they don't want to hear the same thing over and over again (i.e. I just want to help people), they read A LOT of essays, so you definitely want to stand out. Have your passion shine through and really show them what experiences you have to offer the profession and your cohort. I had a couple OTs familiar with the college application process and a professor proof-read mine.

Hope this helps! I know it can seem daunting competing against so many people with higher stats than you, but stats aren't everything.

I am stressing about the GRE right now. I know UF looks for 300+ on the test. How hard was t for you to get the score that you did? Thanks! I will be applying to UF's MOT conditional program this coming term.

I am stressing about the GRE right now. I know UF looks for 300+ on the test. How hard was t for you to get the score that you did? Thanks! I will be applying to UF's MOT conditional program this coming term.

I struggle a lot with math so I found my original score very very tough to bring up; even after intense studying it only went up 3 or 4 points. I think my original combined score was something like 305 (second time around it was 320), and my verbal went up quite a bit the second time. Verbal stuff comes pretty easily to me so I mostly focused on the math part; I had my boyfriend tutor me about 2 hours a week on top of working on my own a few days a week, for about a month, both times I took the test. For the verbal I did practice tests and wrote down any words I missed, then I made flashcards.

I also used the Kaplan workbooks (bought them on Amazon), the most recent editions. It was a three book set with tons of practice and help on specific sections. Definitely invest in those! Start by doing some practice tests and see where your scores average. Find out your weak points and go from there! The practice tests definitely helped me feel more confident and prepared. Remember you can always retake it; it's not cheap but you're not stuck with your scores for life or anything.

I struggle a lot with math so I found my original score very very tough to bring up; even after intense studying it only went up 3 or 4 points. I think my original combined score was something like 305 (second time around it was 320), and my verbal went up quite a bit the second time. Verbal stuff comes pretty easily to me so I mostly focused on the math part; I had my boyfriend tutor me about 2 hours a week on top of working on my own a few days a week, for about a month, both times I took the test. For the verbal I did practice tests and wrote down any words I missed, then I made flashcards.

I also used the Kaplan workbooks (bought them on Amazon), the most recent editions. It was a three book set with tons of practice and help on specific sections. Definitely invest in those! Start by doing some practice tests and see where your scores average. Find out your weak points and go from there! The practice tests definitely helped me feel more confident and prepared. Remember you can always retake it; it's not cheap but you're not stuck with your scores for life or anything.

WOW thanks for the reply! Yeah my boyfriend is good at math I may do the same lol. Do you know the acceptance rate? I feel like giving up like you mentioned before looking at these posts. I have a 3.5 overall GPA and 3.4 critical tracking at UF which isn't amazing, but I am involved a lot around campus and the community. I am taking the GRE in July

Last edited:
WOW thanks for the reply! Yeah my boyfriend is good at math I may do the same lol. Do you know the acceptance rate? I feel like giving up like you mentioned before looking at these posts. I have a 3.5 overall GPA and 3.4 critical tracking at UF which isn't amazing, but I am involved a lot around campus and the community. I am taking the GRE in July

Those GPA's aren't bad at all, although UF doesn't release the averages for their accepted students. I'm sure my upper division GPA was below the average. What are your grades in your pre-req classes, and what are your OT related shadowing/volunteer/life experiences?

Oops! I meant to say my pre-req GPA is a 3.4 :/ . My upper division GPA for my junior year was 3.58 for the fall and 3.91 for the spring. I don't know how to calculate the cumulative one. I shadowed at an in-patient clinic in St. Cloud, FL and shadowed at Shands Home Care in Gainesville. I am part of a national co-ed service frat so I've volunteered around 100 hours. I also volunteered at Boys and Girls Club this past spring for 25 hours teaching kids about health and we played outside. I am volunteering at Camp Boggy Creek in July, as well, and will hopefully continue with that. I am a certified lifeguard if that means anything lol. I did rowing my freshman year at UF. I also did Balance180 volunteering with kids with different disabilities in adapted gymnastics. I want to continue volunteering at Boys and Girls my senior year in the fall. I have to do an internship this coming spring to graduate so I won't be able to be as involved as I have been.

Those GPA's aren't bad at all, although UF doesn't release the averages for their accepted students. I'm sure my upper division GPA was below the average. What are your grades in your pre-req classes, and what are your OT related shadowing/volunteer/life experiences?

Oops! I meant to say my pre-req GPA is a 3.4 :/ . My upper division GPA for my junior year was 3.58 for the fall and 3.91 for the spring. I don't know how to calculate the cumulative one. I shadowed at an in-patient clinic in St. Cloud, FL and shadowed at Shands Home Care in Gainesville. I am part of a national co-ed service frat so I've volunteered around 100 hours. I also volunteered at Boys and Girls Club this past spring for 25 hours teaching kids about health and we played outside. I am volunteering at Camp Boggy Creek in July, as well, and will hopefully continue with that. I am a certified lifeguard if that means anything lol. I did rowing my freshman year at UF. I also did Balance180 volunteering with kids with different disabilities in adapted gymnastics. I want to continue volunteering at Boys and Girls my senior year in the fall. I have to do an internship this coming spring to graduate so I won't be able to be as involved as I have been.

@ashep94 Sorry for such a late reply, but I think all your involvement looks great! I honestly have no idea what they look for, but I had a similar range and amount of volunteer experiences. All of the volunteer experience that are relative to OT especially are wonderful because then you have things you can talk about in your personal statement. I would recommend starting on the personal statement as early as possible because like @scubagator87 said it's really important. I took mine to 6 or 7 sessions at the writing center at my university and that helped tremendously. Don't stress yourself out too much! If I could go back in time that's what I would tell myself. You've worked so hard and that's going to come across on your application. Just start everything early to create as least stress for yourself as possible. Good luck on your GRE if you haven't already taken it! I would recommend magoosh test prep, especially with their free vocab word app. I got a 305 on mine and I didn't retake it and it worked out for me! The math section was a killer for me. I definitely should have practiced more for that. I hate math on standardized tests, or really just in general! Good luck! :)

For everyone who has been accepted to the conditional OT program for this fall: First off, I'm really excited to meet everyone! I'm working more than full time right now so I'm eagerly awaiting August. Our first year of classes seem like they aren't going to be too bad since we aren't taking a full load and they're still undergraduate courses. Has anyone talked to anyone who went through the program and heard their feedback? I really wanted to work a lot and save up some money this summer for the fall but I'm beginning to feel so exhausted and wondering if I'm making a mistake. Especially if the fall coursework is going to be more intensive than I am anticipating it to be.

For everyone who has been accepted to the conditional OT program for this fall: First off, I'm really excited to meet everyone! I'm working more than full time right now so I'm eagerly awaiting August. Our first year of classes seem like they aren't going to be too bad since we aren't taking a full load and they're still undergraduate courses. Has anyone talked to anyone who went through the program and heard their feedback? I really wanted to work a lot and save up some money this summer for the fall but I'm beginning to feel so exhausted and wondering if I'm making a mistake. Especially if the fall coursework is going to be more intensive than I am anticipating it to be.

I have spoken to/know a couple of people who have gone through the program. They told me the undergrad coursework is pretty tough. A lot more intensive than A&P 1 and 2.

I am also excited to meet everyone! Already anxious to start making connections and getting study groups together, lol.

@ashep94 Sorry for such a late reply, but I think all your involvement looks great! I honestly have no idea what they look for, but I had a similar range and amount of volunteer experiences. All of the volunteer experience that are relative to OT especially are wonderful because then you have things you can talk about in your personal statement. I would recommend starting on the personal statement as early as possible because like @scubagator87 said it's really important. I took mine to 6 or 7 sessions at the writing center at my university and that helped tremendously. Don't stress yourself out too much! If I could go back in time that's what I would tell myself. You've worked so hard and that's going to come across on your application. Just start everything early to create as least stress for yourself as possible. Good luck on your GRE if you haven't already taken it! I would recommend magoosh test prep, especially with their free vocab word app. I got a 305 on mine and I didn't retake it and it worked out for me! The math section was a killer for me. I definitely should have practiced more for that. I hate math on standardized tests, or really just in general! Good luck! :)

Thanks for your reply! I have Magoosh right now and it's been helpful. I have my GRE next week and I already feel I am going to have to take it again. The UF deadlines come out next week so I am going to be marking my calendar for sure. Thanks for your help. I would love a 305 on my GRE. What were your individual grades for verbal and quant?