UF or MWU for vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Riscatto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have always wanted to go to UF for quite some time because I feel Florida is geared more towards zoo medicine. However after doing research I have come to realize I may not be able to go for Zoo medicine. I understand its not the easiest field to get into, but in order to be credentialed you have to be published and I don't like research nor am I the publishing type. I feel that would be my only set back to being in the field that I have wanted to do ever since I decided to go to vet school.

Of course after some time Midwestern was announced which happens to be my instate vet school, but it cost over 240+ in order to attend. They however have a clinical rotation in sports medicine.

Since I was doubting the zoo medicine I was thinking my back up would possibly be equine surgery double boarded in sports medicine, however I have more knowledge and experience with zoo animals than horses. I have volunteered as a zoo keeper at a couple of zoos.

Sorry for the back story, but I wanted to get some thoughts from those that have gone through the whole vet school process. In other words what are your thoughts on the two schools? Did you have trouble choosing between different schools? How did you decide on whether to go to your instate or out of state? Since ASU doesn't have much in terms of animal science classes, its pretty much one or the other.

Sorry if this is long, but all help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

As a fellow Arizona kid, Midwestern is in the state yes, but they do not distinguish between in state or out of state students. As a private school they view everyone equally. With this being said, Arizona kids are essentially stuck paying out of state tuition no matter where you go unless you do WICHE (CSU, OSU, WSU). I personally would recommend researching options that are cheaper alternatives than Midwestern. Mwu is one of the most expensive schools in the country, and the debt could be crippling. Although ASU may not have as many animal sci classes as some other universities, as long as you have the generic vet school prereqs you should have more options available to you than just UF and MWU. I am not in vet school yet, and I know nothing about UF, but I thought I would give you another Arizona kid's point of view.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it helps, on the WICHE site, Midwestern will be available for wiche funding in 2018. Wiche applies to Washington state, Oregon state, Colorado state, western and UC Davis as things currently stand. I know aloha already mentioned these. :)

Thanks, I was excited for there being a vet school in AZ but then when I found out it was private I felt AZ residents got screwed over because we still aren't given the opportunity as other school with instate vs out of state, but that's just me.

Arizona kids are essentially stuck paying out of state tuition no matter where you go unless you do WICHE (CSU, OSU, WSU).

WICHE will go away once UofA builds there vet school as we will have and IS vs OOS. However I never saw this being a good school in general.

Although ASU may not have as many animal sci classes as some other universities, as long as you have the generic vet school prereqs you should have more options available to you than just UF and MWU.

I have looked at other schools however because of my health and since I hate the cold there's only so many places I can go. personally AZ and FL are the only places I'll consider since they don't snow in those areas or get too cold.

I was never sure since I could live with my parents in AZ or pay for rent and everything else going to FL.

With the advice of keeping your options open due to the extremely competitive nature of vet school, applying to more than two schools is generally the norm. Maybe you could look into Western, Mississippi, Auburn, or Georgia as well if you are looking for other warmer areas of the country with little to no snow. I do, however, wish you the best of luck if you are determined to attend MWU or UF. :)

Thanks, I was excited for there being a vet school in AZ but then when I found out it was private I felt AZ residents got screwed over because we still aren't given the opportunity as other school with instate vs out of state, but that's just me.

WICHE will go away once UofA builds there vet school as we will have and IS vs OOS. However I never saw this being a good school in general.

I have looked at other schools however because of my health and since I hate the cold there's only so many places I can go. personally AZ and FL are the only places I'll consider since they don't snow in those areas or get too cold.

I was never sure since I could live with my parents in AZ or pay for rent and everything else going to FL.

Sure UofA's vet school is going to be weird and non traditional. But why do you think it won't be a good school? Once it is accredited, it will have the same standards as every other vet school.

Thanks for the other school, I didn't realize that those schools were warmer. I want to go to Georgia so I can see Bloodhounds.

I have never heard anything good about the school in general. Plus I read the site with the info just reading it just doesn't seem appealing and I don't like the idea of driving all over AZ to get my education.

I have never heard anything good about the school in general.

I cannot attest towards their vet school, but the general quality of education at the University of Arizona is quite high.

UofA has an extremely good reputation in many many fields of study as aloha said. Their vet school doesn't exist yet, and probably won't for a little while. Plus WICHE will most likely still be in effect until UofA's new vet school becomes accredited. So you have a while

I'm going to say the vet school at U of A will be crap just based on their current proposition.

U of A is a great school, but their current model and idea for a veterinary school is complete crap.

Reactions: 1 user
Go to the accredited school that is cheapest for you. The difference in the education you are offered is negligible, at least at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you looked into any externships in sports medicine? If you find any, you could try to do those and go to the cheapest school possible.

With the advice of keeping your options open due to the extremely competitive nature of vet school, applying to more than two schools is generally the norm. Maybe you could look into Western, Mississippi, Auburn, or Georgia as well if you are looking for other warmer areas of the country with little to no snow. I do, however, wish you the best of luck if you are determined to attend MWU or UF. :)

I'll add UC Davis, Texas A&M, SGU and Ross to the list of warmer/less snow schools. The thing everyone needs to remember about Georgia is that it is extremely rare of OOS students to be accepted to their program; unless your application is spotless, I don't know that I'd spend the money, personally.

I think applying to so few schools a risky proposition for any applicant, even if your reasons are "valid". If you have a strong application it's a little less daunting, but if you have any trouble spots (GPA, hours), you're really digging yourself a hole.

You realize that you are going to have to do research and be published to be boarded in equine surgery and sports med right?

And Equine Surgery is probably one of the toughest things to have as a "back-up". Everyone who goes into it, it's all they want to do. I know people who have done 2-3 internships prior to getting a residency. And most programs expect you to be published before getting a residency. I just wouldn't take getting into that field lightly...I'm not trying to dissuade you from exploring it as an option, but it sounds like you love Zoo Med more.

UF was always my dream school as well, but when I interviewed at Midwestern, I talked with a vet student who was in state for UF and got accepted to both UF and MWU. She picked MWU and said she liked it 100 times better. She said the interview at UF was a grilling and she felt like MWU had a much better feel in terms of wanting students to succeed. I'm not sure if t would be worth the debt, but that's what she told me when I was there!

Wait...she got into her established in-state school and went to a school that hasn't graduated a class yet and where there would be 3x the amount of debt? I think my mind was just blown a little bit.

Say no to debt peeps.

Reactions: 6 users
Wait...she got into her established in-state school and went to a school that hasn't graduated a class yet and where there would be 3x the amount of debt? I think my mind was just blown a little bit.

Say no to debt peeps.

I was going to say something along the lines of... "well, that was a stupid move" but didn't want to get the backlash that tends to happen with that.

But yeah, that was a really dumb move.

Reactions: 3 users

Say no to debt peeps.
Apparently a warm fuzzy feeling is worth over $100,000. Who knew.

Reactions: 3 users
I was going to say something along the lines of... "well, that was a stupid move" but didn't want to get the backlash that tends to happen with that.

But yeah, that was a really dumb move.

Yes, I figured I was opening up a can of worms, but oh well. I'm off clinics and need entertainment.

I was really, really surprised when she told me that she chose MWU over UF, but I guess some people would rather spend 4 years in a place that they'll be happier!

I was really, really surprised when she told me that she chose MWU over UF, but I guess some people would rather spend 4 years in a place that they'll be happier!

And spend 20+ years paying back loans and being unhappy.....

But whatever.

Reactions: 2 users

The general living area is different in each place but the actual vet school part is rather damn similar. But hey, whatever floats her boat, just hope she's happy with spending that extra money.

And spend 20+ years paying back loans and being unhappy.....

But whatever.

Yeah, I'm not saying that's it's the smartest thing to do, and I certainly wouldn't do it! But some people may think differently.

Chill people. Someone made a different choice than you would have done. If it makes her happy, and that's what is important to her, then that's that.

Reactions: 2 users
The general living area is different in each place but the actual vet school part is rather damn similar. But hey, whatever floats her boat, just hope she's happy with spending that extra money.

Money aside, that school isn't even fully accredited yet, that terrifies me.

Reactions: 4 users

Say no to debt peeps.

I think a lot of people underestimate the effect that huge debt can have on their lives, and for how long. Borrowing even an extra $50,000 can make a significant impact to one's life for decades to come.

Mind = Blown :boom:

I guess the rest of us are just a little more logical... or maybe this person found the pot at the end of the rainbow guarded by the Leprechaun masses and that will pay for the warm and fuzzy.

I guess it just depends on what each person is comfortable with. The way I see it, if you are comfortable with having that much debt and living simply for the many years you'll be paying it off, then it's worth to go the place you'll be happier. But if you're not comfortable with that amount of debt, it makes more sense to go to the place you'll have less debt. If you died in 5 years, would you regret going to one over the other? Personally, I would rather not have debt, but I can also see why someone would rather live for 4 years in a place that make them a happier person!

Last edited:
Chill people. Someone made a different choice than you would have done. If it makes her happy, and that's what is important to her, then that's that.

I have a good feeling she'd have been happy at UF had she given it the chance. Basing your school decision because you felt "grilled" in an interview is silly. An interview is a generally stressful event and can easily cloud your judgement.

I also think it is good for other prevets to see that money is a big factor and when you are talking about $100,000 you really need to consider heavily what you are doing.

https://www.avma.org/ProfessionalDe...es/Pages/coe-pp-accreditation-evaluation.aspx

They are on Step 7. They have the letter of reasonable assurance. I don't understand what's terrifying.

Public perception. Just because AVMA COE goes, "yeah cool", doesn't mean the other schools and vets in the community are.

They have no name and as of yet no one is able to speak on their education or if the grads they produce are any good. There is so much more than just, "they're going to be accredited what's the big deal?"

Reactions: 1 users
https://www.avma.org/ProfessionalDe...es/Pages/coe-pp-accreditation-evaluation.aspx

They are on Step 7. They have the letter of reasonable assurance. I don't understand what's terrifying.

Because Dublin had that letter a year before I started school, didn't get full accreditation, and all of their N. American students had to be sent to other schools for their final years because they would have had to have a foreign degree otherwise and could not take the NAVLE. Dublin has a great program, don't get me wrong, I applied there...but only because by the time I applied, it was accredited.

And because when you are looking for a job, graduating from an established, accredited school can help you immensely.

Just out of curiosity since you guys know more about the job outlook and the field pretty well, is it worth going to vet school in the first place? I'm looking at Zoo med or Equine and I don't care for SA medicine at all, so given the saturation and outlook is it wise for people to even consider this field? I understand its not just about loving animals, but I'm gone back and forth that I don't even know why I'm doing this anymore or really seeing the end of the tunnel.

I hope I don't upset anyone, I just really want to get all the facts since I'm still ways away from even looking at applying.

In my opinion, if you aren't passionate about vet med and you could see yourself doing something else that makes you happy, I wouldn't go through all of the money and schooling.

Just out of curiosity since you guys know more about the job outlook and the field pretty well, is it worth going to vet school in the first place? I'm looking at Zoo med or Equine and I don't care for SA medicine at all, so given the saturation and outlook is it wise for people to even consider this field? I understand its not just about loving animals, but I'm gone back and forth that I don't even know why I'm doing this anymore or really seeing the end of the tunnel.

I hope I don't upset anyone, I just really want to get all the facts since I'm still ways away from even looking at applying.

There are many other threads about this, but I will just say this:

If you can picture yourself being happy in any other field, go into that field. If the only thing that makes you happy is vet med, then go into vet med. It's a great career, and one that I am passionate about. I love teaching, I love clinics, and I love academia. There are days I wish I loved something else just as much.

This is a personal decision.

You just need to open and recognize what you are putting into a veterinary education and have realistic expectations of what you will get coming out of it. Only you can decide if the cost of veterinary school is worth the reward at the end. If veterinary medicine is the only thing you can see yourself doing, then it will be worth it. If you can see yourself doing something else, then consider that something else. But you have to balance everything out yourself and decide what will work out best for you.

I really enjoy what I do, but I would not have gone to vet school if the school debt vs salary situation was the way it is now for those in the US. I would not have taken on that much debt for almost anything, including an education.

UF was always my dream school as well, but when I interviewed at Midwestern, I talked with a vet student who was in state for UF and got accepted to both UF and MWU. She picked MWU and said she liked it 100 times better. She said the interview at UF was a grilling and she felt like MWU had a much better feel in terms of wanting students to succeed. I'm not sure if t would be worth the debt, but that's what she told me when I was there!
Seriously? I wonder if she just had a bad set of interviewers or said something weird...my UF interview was by far my favorite experience.

And of course MWU is going to want you to succeed. Their accreditation depends on it. Every school wants you to succeed, but it's up to you to actually perform.
I guess it just depends on what each person is comfortable with. The way I see it, if you are comfortable with having that much debt and living simply for the many years you'll be paying it off, then it's worth to go the place you'll be happier. But if you're not comfortable with that amount of debt, it makes more sense to go to the place you'll be happier. If you died in 5 years, would you regret going to one over the other? Personally, I would rather not have debt, but I can also see why someone would rather live for 4 years in a place that make them a happier person!
If I die in 5 years, I will probably regret going to veterinary school in the first place...

Thanks for all the insight. It gives more insight to what is best.

There are days I wish I loved something else just as much.

Quoted for true facts and I'm not even out yet.

I encourage anyone considering a school that will put you in significantly more debt to check out VIN's debt repayment calculator (http://www.vinfoundation.org/AppUti...357&objecttypeid=10&redirectFromMiscDefault=1). Be honest with your numbers, too. That sh** is scary and may be a real wake up call for some. It's easy to look at the debt with rose-colored glasses, but knowing just how negatively it can affect your life for DECADES can be sobering, especially given the interest that's constantly accruing. I read posts on VIN where new grads are seriously stressed out about repayment, even with programs like IBR and PAYE to help...some people can't even cover their monthly interest, let alone touch the principal. It makes me want to cry for them.

And apologies if I'm beating a dead horse or repeated other users. I admit to not reading every post before writing my own. This whole debt fiasco is something I'm really passionate about.

Reactions: 1 users
The debt was always my biggest worry too. I want to make sure I'm comfortable and financially stable. Out of curiosity is the job outlook good or at least decent for zoo med or equine med or is the field too saturated that your lucky to even get a job?

The debt was always my biggest worry too. I want to make sure I'm comfortable and financially stable. Out of curiosity is the job outlook good or at least decent for zoo med or equine med or is the field too saturated that your lucky to even get a job?
Zoo med is growing, but the residencies aren't. Plus, zoo vets tend to keep their jobs until they physically can't work anymore (that goes for a lot of other disciplines though). I don't think zoo med is growing at any spectacular rate or anything, but it's gradually increasing. At any given time, there are usually a handful of veterinarian job postings on AZA.

Zoo med is not the ideal way to go if you want to make dents in your loans ASAP. The typical pathway is DVM -> 1-2 year internship -> 3-4 year residency. Interns seem to make in the $20k's, while residents seem to make in the $30k's. That's at least 4 years of making crap money as a doctor. I can't speak for equine, but I imagine these salaries are similar.

Last edited:
As a career changer - this field is financially idiotic compared to what I make on the outside. However, to live to work or work to live has been something I've always tried to follow. While the debt to salary is friggin horrendous, as long as you have realistically looked at the problem and are willing to swallow the pill, then go for it. I would much rather deal with the unfortunate debt and work in a field I can continue doing for the next 40+ years (hopefully) than sit behind a computer in some corporate office, wondering if I'd get more enjoyment out of beating my head through a cubicle wall.

Of course I'm also hoping to take advantage of the HPSP or post-grad transition and let the government pay off some of that debt. That helps me swallow my pill. :naughty:

Student here at an expensive school. I'll let you all look at the numbers and surmise what my current debt load is. I'm a third year that hasn't had any roommates for two years, living in a crappy part of town. Just think about those numbers.

I stress over every tiny little purchase I make. A professor jokingly offered to give me money to buy new shoes last year because mine were in such a sad state -- shame it was a joke. You don't need this kind of stress in addition to the normal stress and anxiety associated with vet school.

Go to the cheapest school possibly. This debt has the potential to ruin my life, and I'm only 22.