General Admissions & OTCAS UF OT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTisLOVE

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone applying to UF's MOT program for conditional admission? I'm anxious about getting in, and was wondering if anyone had insight to what stats they are looking for. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Is no one applying to UF? It's a top 10 school in the country so I expected more chatter about it on this forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
Meeeeeeeeee! I am sure there are tons of people applying but I guess they don't visit this website. I am baffled at how much attention some not-so-great schools get on these forums and that there is almost NO talk about UF.
I can't remember - was it you that said you go to UF already? I have some questions about the area if you do!

Yes, I do go to UF already! I would be happy to answer any question you have. :)

Last edited:
I think we are the only 2 people on these boards applying to UF lol. Maybe that means they won't have a ton of applicants this year. Have you heard anything about them making decisions? I read that it took ~6 weeks in previous years. Yesterday marked 3 weeks since the deadline, so 3 more weeks to go!! I really can't wait to find out!

Do you known if all the pre-OT and MOT classes are in the HPNP building? I'm looking at housing on Craigslist to get an idea what's available. Is it easy to drive and park on campus or should I aim to be within walking distance/on the bus line?

I have been stalking every website that even mentions UF OT, and it seems that it will be the last week of March before we find out, which is 6 weeks. I am beyond anxious, so I hope decisions come out early this year!

I'm really not sure where the classes will be held, but the conditional admission cohort is so small that the lecture portions could end up being in that building exclusively. UF has a really nice anatomy and physiology lab (that I basically lived in last summer) so I can't imagine that this program wouldn't utilize the resources offered by that department. As for parking, it's atrocious. The bus system is really dependable and speedy though. If you're looking at places further from campus, try and stay on the 9, 34, or, 35 bus route. These are the most direct lines to campus and they each take about 20 minutes to get to and from campus on a normal day. UF also runs a bus tracking website that shows you, to the minute, where every bus is, which is really convenient. I'm not sure what you're budget is for housing, but living within walking distance of campus is really pricy. This year I finally broke down an bought a scooter to drive to class. Not only is the gas milage great, but there is tons of scooter parking pretty much everywhere you want to be on campus. I bought one on Craig's list for a very reasonable price (grad students often sell them for cheap when they leave town and can't take their scooter with them), and the decal for it was only 150 dollars for a year. I have never had trouble finding a spot!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I applied to the conditional MOT program too :) The last time I looked I couldn't find any recent threads about the UF MOT program so I'm glad y'all started one :) I haven't checked this much recently because I have been going on interviews and I'm taking 19 units. Have y'all heard anything at all from UF? They are my top school so the wait feels terrible! What are your stats like?

Hi! I applied to the conditional MOT program too :) The last time I looked I couldn't find any recent threads about the UF MOT program so I'm glad y'all started one :) I haven't checked this much recently because I have been going on interviews and I'm taking 19 units. Have y'all heard anything at all from UF? They are my top school so the wait feels terrible! What are your stats like?
The program director, Dr. Foss, has said that everyone will know by the six-week mark, so we only have about two and a half weeks at most! I'm trying not to obsess about the wait, but this is the only school I applied to, so my anxiety level is pretty high at this point. My stats are:

Undergrad school: University of Florida
(Will graduate in May)
Major: Special Education
Overall GPA: 3.85
Upper level GPA: 3.946
Pre-req GPA: 3.88 (B+ in statistics)
GRE: V- 159 Q- 152 W- 4
Experience/Shadowing: I completed the required 30 hours in pediatrics and rehabilitation. I actually decided to apply to OT schools last March, so I didn't have much time to complete observation/volunteer hours on top of my required coursework. Being a special education major, I have, however, had a lot of first hand experience with special populations and have complete internships in a variety of special education settings. I also have tutored a teen with autism for the past 9 months.
I'm not sure if this will be enough to get me in, but like I said, my all of my eggs are pretty much in one basket this application cycle.
What do your stats look like?
Good luck!

The program director, Dr. Foss, has said that everyone will know by the six-week mark, so we only have about two and a half weeks at most! I'm trying not to obsess about the wait, but this is the only school I applied to, so my anxiety level is pretty high at this point. My stats are:

Undergrad school: University of Florida
(Will graduate in May)
Major: Special Education
Overall GPA: 3.85
Upper level GPA: 3.946
Pre-req GPA: 3.88 (B+ in statistics)
GRE: V- 159 Q- 152 W- 4
Experience/Shadowing: I completed the required 30 hours in pediatrics and rehabilitation. I actually decided to apply to OT schools last March, so I didn't have much time to complete observation/volunteer hours on top of my required coursework. Being a special education major, I have, however, had a lot of first hand experience with special populations and have complete internships in a variety of special education settings. I also have tutored a teen with autism for the past 9 months.
I'm not sure if this will be enough to get me in, but like I said, my all of my eggs are pretty much in one basket this application cycle.
What do your stats look like?
Good luck!

Your stats are great! I'm sure you will get in :highfive: I will put up my stats after I get done with my pathophysiology exam today :xf:

I have an update :) I just called Dr. Foss and she said that the committee is meeting this week and that they plan to send out letters by April 5th or 6th. So we have a little more waiting to do but at least we know a little bit more. Good luck all! Hopefully all three of us get in :luck:

I have an update :) I just called Dr. Foss and she said that the committee is meeting this week and that they plan to send out letters by April 5th or 6th. So we have a little more waiting to do but at least we know a little bit more. Good luck all! Hopefully all three of us get in :luck:
Thanks for updating us! The waiting is killing me, but at least I know what to expect now.

I know the waiting is horrible! I wish they took more than 20-25 people because the chances of getting in with over 200 applicants aren't very good. Oh well, at least I have spring break starting this Saturday so I will be able to relax and not think about this for a week :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow you both have great stats and since you are both Florida residents I am sure y'all will get in :) It will be harder for me because I'm not a Florida resident. Here are my stats.

Undergrad school: California State University, Chico
(I graduate in May too)
Major: Exercise Physiology
Overall GPA: 3.52
Upper level GPA: 3.94
Pre-req GPA: 3.90
GRE: V- 151 Q- 151 W- 4 (the only time I could take it was the day after my last final last semester so I didn't get to prep for it and I was exhausted :()
Experience/Shadowing: Over 100 hours of OT shadowing (inpatient, outpatient, school-based, rehab), I worked as a PT aide for a year, I have gone on two mission trips to Mexico to help out at an orphanage/school for disabled children, volunteered at homeless shelters, and I was a camp cabin counselor for elementary school girls as well as a lifeguard.

Hearing both of your stats makes me even more nervous! I have no idea how they are going to pick 20-25 people when everyone is going to have such strong applications. :(

Hearing both of your stats makes me even more nervous! I have no idea how they are going to pick 20-25 people when everyone is going to have such strong applications. :(
Your stats are better than mine so you shouldn't be nervous :)

Ugh I hate waiting :whistle: Do y'all know how many applicants there are this year?

When I sent Dr. Foss an email inquiring about applications and applicants she said:
1. There were "over 200 applicants". This was a rather vague response, but it seems to be the standard response given to those who ask as have seen others on this forum say they were given the same answer in past years.

2. All applicants will be notified about their admission status within 6 weeks of application due date. Which, if the date she gave you is accurate, that is not the case.

When you posted about the April decision day, was double bummed because I had just received an email from her the day before indicating that it would be within 6 weeks for sure (March 29th).

When I sent Dr. Foss an email inquiring about applications and applicants she said:
1. There were "over 200 applicants". This was a rather vague response, but it seems to be the standard response given to those who ask as have seen others on this forum say they were given the same answer in past years.

2. All applicants will be notified about their admission status within 6 weeks of application due date. Which, if the date she gave you is accurate, that is not the case.

When you posted about the April decision day, was double bummed because I had just received an email from her the day before indicating that it would be within 6 weeks for sure (March 29th).
Getting conflicting information is frustrating... Especially from the same person within a couple days. It would be nice to know the average stats of the people that were accepted last year so we could better guage our chances.

I'm trying really hard not to think about it, but is can't help but stress out over the wait. I just hope it's good news because this anxiety leading up to the decision is bad enough. I will let you know when I get my letter! Since I'm in Gainesville, I'll probably get mine the day after they send them out.

My message under the "check my status at UF" section of the admission website has changed! It doesn't say if I was accepted or not, but a decision has been made. Not sure if that's a good thing or not since it's so early.

Update: I received my letter today! I was accepted! :):) I wish both of you the best of luck, and I really hope I get to meet you in the fall!

Update: I received my letter today! I was accepted! :):) I wish both of you the best of luck, and I really hope I get to meet you in the fall!
I got my acceptance letter today too! Not sure if I am going to accept yet, but very excited!!

What does the page look like? I didn't receive anything today.. freaking out a little bit. :(

Don't freak out! I live 1.5 miles from the university, so mail travels quickly to me! I bet you get your letter tomorrow. :)
The online page just has a note about admissions being decentralized to get individual programs involved, and says to contact your department with concerns or questions regarding admission decisions.

Good luck!

deleted

Last edited:
Well I woke up to a welcome email stating my UF email address has been created. They wouldn't tease me like this if I wasn't accepted, right!?
No, they wouldn't! Congratulations, and welcome to the Gator Nation! :soexcited::highfive: I can't wait to meet you!

OK it's official now! I got my letter and I'm accepting! See you in the fall :) I can't wait to take a trip up there and check it out!!! :soexcited:
I am so excited and so relieved at the same time!

I received my acceptance letter last week but I've decided to attend FGCU instead, so another spot should be opening up soon.

I received my acceptance letter last week but I've decided to attend FGCU instead, so another spot should be opening up soon.
Can I ask why you are choosing FGCU?

Yes of course!

First of all most Floridians wouldn't disagree of the prestigious nature of UF and how popular it generally is. However that is ironically one of the biggest reasons for which I chose FGCU instead; which I'm sure you know is only around 2 decades old with a student body 1/3 of that of UF. I've always found it more interesting to go against the crowd when it comes to school related matters. For example instead of taking Spanish or French like most students during undergrad, I optioned to take Mandarin Chinese. Instead of doing my undergrad in Engineering or BioMed like 90% of the people I know, I chose Psych. The very idea of going into OT is a brilliant fit to the very essence of this. In the Asian-American community Im from, there are absolutely no guy OTs, and I don't even think most people know what OT even is. But I'll tell you this, everyone knows how awesome UF is, and there isn't any shortage of people going from Tampa to Gainesville. On the contrary I had to explain to someone the other day where Ft Myers even was! But I love doing this kind of stuff and most of all I want to be a major player when it comes to not just adding to the field but to the school itself. I want to lead the ways for others, not just add to an already well known University. I've read probably all of the OT FGCU prof bios and I feel confident that I'll be able to grow and prosper in the climate set at FGCU.

With all that said and I apologize for the length haha, but you and I are hopefully going to graduate and pass the NBCOT and attain the same license, what matters is our mental state prior to that. What I mean is, did you have a positive outlook of your place in the program, did you feel comfortable enough to do your best etc etc....

Congrats on getting accepted!

Yes of course!

First of all most Floridians wouldn't disagree of the prestigious nature of UF and how popular it generally is. However that is ironically one of the biggest reasons for which I chose FGCU instead; which I'm sure you know is only around 2 decades old with a student body 1/3 of that of UF. I've always found it more interesting to go against the crowd when it comes to school related matters. For example instead of taking Spanish or French like most students during undergrad, I optioned to take Mandarin Chinese. Instead of doing my undergrad in Engineering or BioMed like 90% of the people I know, I chose Psych. The very idea of going into OT is a brilliant fit to the very essence of this. In the Asian-American community Im from, there are absolutely no guy OTs, and I don't even think most people know what OT even is. But I'll tell you this, everyone knows how awesome UF is, and there isn't any shortage of people going from Tampa to Gainesville. On the contrary I had to explain to someone the other day where Ft Myers even was! But I love doing this kind of stuff and most of all I want to be a major player when it comes to not just adding to the field but to the school itself. I want to lead the ways for others, not just add to an already well known University. I've read probably all of the OT FGCU prof bios and I feel confident that I'll be able to grow and prosper in the climate set at FGCU.

With all that said and I apologize for the length haha, but you and I are hopefully going to graduate and pass the NBCOT and attain the same license, what matters is our mental state prior to that. What I mean is, did you have a positive outlook of your place in the program, did you feel comfortable enough to do your best etc etc....

Congrats on getting accepted!

Hey! Congrats on being accepted. I'm an out-of-state male and I've applied to UF and FGCU. I haven't heard back from UF yet, but I have an interview with FGCU mid-March. Do you remember any of the questions from the interview?

Conditional 2016-17 MOT applicants...anybody out there? Daughter interviewed at FGCU last week and loved the school! She is at UF now.....the MOT student that gave her a tour graduated from UF and chose FGCU over UF (she was accepted to both) and she said she has friends at UF and they are so stressed. She said she is not stressed at all at FGCU and is so happy she made the choice....any UF MOT students want to give us your thoughts on your program?

Last edited:
Conditional 2016-17 MOT applicants...anybody out there? Daughter interviewed at FGCU last week and loved the school! She is at UF now.....the MOT student that gave her a tour graduated from UF and chose FGCU over UF (she was accepted to both) and she said she has friends at UF and they are so stressed. She said she is not stressed at all at FGCU and is so happy she made the choice....any UF MOT students want to give us your thoughts on your program?

I'm applying for conditional admission at UF this year as well! I was accepted to FGCU and I am holding my spot, but if I'm accepted to UF I was thinking that I would choose their program. Are they stressed because of the difficulty of the program? Did you hear any specifics?

I'm interested to hear as well because I went to UF for undergrad and have been accepted to FGCU and am holding my spot there - waiting to hear back from 5 other schools but I never considered how much harder the classes would be at UF. I applied for conditional MOT as well. Any current students have any insight on this?

I'm applying for conditional admission at UF this year as well! I was accepted to FGCU and I am holding my spot, but if I'm accepted to UF I was thinking that I would choose their program. Are they stressed because of the difficulty of the program? Did you hear any specifics?
I don't know the specifics....daughter just said the guide said UF was stressful.......you are lucky you have heard back already from FGCU! Congratulations :) Daughter wants UF too!!! Since she is there now she can just keep her apartment which makes it much easier. The sad part is the year of classes you all have to take

I'm interested to hear as well because I went to UF for undergrad and have been accepted to FGCU and am holding my spot there - waiting to hear back from 5 other schools but I never considered how much harder the classes would be at UF. I applied for conditional MOT as well. Any current students have any insight on this?
Curious if you tried last year for OT since you said you went to UF for undergrad? Why the wait? I am worried the grad schools want someone with work experience rather than straight out of college?

Curious if you tried last year for OT since you said you went to UF for undergrad? Why the wait? I am worried the grad schools want someone with work experience rather than straight out of college?

I graduated in 2010. I didn't come to the decision that I wanted to go back to school for OT until last summer so this year was the first year I applied. The wait was because I majored in film studies - when I graduated in 2010 all I could find were internships because of the economy - no one wanted to hire recent grads when there were a bunch of tenured people out of the job. I ended up moving back home to Naples and worked as a technician for apple for 2 and a half years and while I was working there I worked with a real estate agent doing film and photography and eventually he encouraged me to get a real estate license. Real estate was not my cup of tea so to say and I realized that if I wanted the life I want to have, I'd have to go back to school. I had already heard of OT from starting out premed at UF and decided to pursue it because after I started shadowing I realized that it not only fit my personality but it was such a fulfilling career on so many levels. I'm hoping that the grad schools are looking for someone like me who has experience working with people of diverse backgrounds and who knows what it's like "out in the real world," but it seems to me like the majority of people that get accepted to OT programs are recent grads.

I graduated in 2010. I didn't come to the decision that I wanted to go back to school for OT until last summer so this year was the first year I applied. The wait was because I majored in film studies - when I graduated in 2010 all I could find were internships because of the economy - no one wanted to hire recent grads when there were a bunch of tenured people out of the job. I ended up moving back home to Naples and worked as a technician for apple for 2 and a half years and while I was working there I worked with a real estate agent doing film and photography and eventually he encouraged me to get a real estate license. Real estate was not my cup of tea so to say and I realized that if I wanted the life I want to have, I'd have to go back to school. I had already heard of OT from starting out premed at UF and decided to pursue it because after I started shadowing I realized that it not only fit my personality but it was such a fulfilling career on so many levels. I'm hoping that the grad schools are looking for someone like me who has experience working with people of diverse backgrounds and who knows what it's like "out in the real world," but it seems to me like the majority of people that get accepted to OT programs are recent grads.
What an awesome story! From what you just said I think you will do well because you most likely have dealt with many different personalities! Good Luck where ever you decide to go...I'll keep you posted on my daughter...maybe the two of you will be in the same class :) She doesn't know I am on here...she would be so mad at me :)

I know you said you applied to UF too..did you try Adventist in Orlando? Nova?

Last edited:
Hi everyone! Just wanted to give an update. I went to the UF MOT info session on Friday and they said conditional students should be getting letters within the next week. It sounds like decisions have already been made. Good luck to you all :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
What an awesome story! From what you just said I think you will do well because you most likely have dealt with many different personalities! Good Luck where ever you decide to go...I'll keep you posted on my daughter...maybe the two of you will be in the same class :) She doesn't know I am on here...she would be so mad at me :)

I know you said you applied to UF too..did you try Adventist in Orlando? Nova?

Thank you! I applied to nova MOT in ft lauderdale but I have not heard anything from them yet. I was originally going to apply to Adventist but my mom didn't like how the schools structure was set up - even though we're catholic she thought it was too religion based and not enough scientifically/clinically based it was more psychological and spiritual and that's not really what I'm going for. Plus the tuition was expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I was accepted! Did anyone find out they were admitted that plans to accept?

Congrats!!! That's awesome! Did you find out through email?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
That is great....my daughter was rejected :( hoping for one other program...if not she graduates and takes a year to work and save money and tries again next year! Best wishes to you!!! She is waitlisted at FGCU and waiting to hear form ADU.

That is great....my daughter was rejected :( hoping for one other program...if not she graduates and takes a year to work and save money and tries again next year! Best wishes to you!!! She is waitlisted at FGCU and waiting to hear form ADU.
I'm sorry to hear that :(. I'm giving up my spot at FGCU so hopefully that will help. I originally planned to take a year off and work as well. It's definitely not a bad option considering how expensive graduate school is.

Thank you! No, I received a letter in the mail.
hi!
I am so glad I came across this post. I have applied to the conditional OT program at UF this year as well! What was the date on the letter that you received? Just curious because I live in NC, so I want to know when I can be expecting to get it and have a decision. Congrats on your acceptance!