UF pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jax1993

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be entering UF COP in August and I would like to get anybody who has attended or is currently at UF, especially in the new curriculum. In the first year, what are the classes like? The professors? Basically any information would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

I went to the Jacksonville campus and graduated in 2012. I don't know if you are going to the main campus or a distance campus. At the main campus you are able to attend live classes and view the recored lectures whereas the distance campuses can only see the recorded lectures. The first year you are eased into the curriculum so they go easy on you with exams, quizzes, and classes but then 2nd year and 3rd year are much more difficult. You have have to discipline yourself especially to watch your lectures and study because you don't have the option of going to live courses at distance campuses. The number of lectures sometimes just seem to pile up sometimes. You go to class on campus for exams, quizzes, and certain classes like labs. First year you don't have to be on campus that often. In 2nd and 3rd year you are on campus any where from 3 to 5 days a week. When you are on campus usually you are scheduled to do maybe a quiz, lecture, lab, and/or an exam or most of the above in one day. First year being on campus will usually be less than 3 hours at a time. During 2nd and 3rd year sometimes you are on campus from morning to evening due to class and quizzes then later in the day you have an exam so you don't want to drive all the home to come back. Exams were always in the evening between 6 and 9pm if I remember depending on what year you were. The professors are all knowledgeable people and some are even like superstars in the pharmacy world. I didn't really have questions to post online for them to answer. If I had questions about something I usually asked the professors from my campus and they answered me or would follow-up and give an answer shortly. I loved being in a distance campus compared to the experience at the main campus because for the 4 years those 50 or so students and professors in your class became like family because they all are in the same situation as you and can support you to success. The main campus you are more detached due to the larger class size (~150) and the main campus of UF with the other 50,000 students there. Sorry I don't know about the new curriculum or how they are changing the curriculum. If you have any other questions I'll be glad to answer to the best of my abilities.

I currently have a 2.42 GPA in my university. I scored in the 97th percentile on my PCAT through rigorous studying. I also have been working in a Pharmacy for 3 1/2 years as a Pharmacy Technician. Should I even bother applying to pharmacy schools because of my really low GPA?