UF, UF-Jacksonville, Miami, Mayo-Jacksonville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bob California

Sabre Tallahassee HQ
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that the match lists are in and the more objective viewpoints can be given, can anyone please post a rundown on these four programs?

The established three haven't had solid updates in years, and UF-Jacksonville is new. I would appreciate posts from those who interviewed there, those who are residents there, and any other general insights regarding these programs from alumni or other outsiders.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Now that the match lists are in and the more objective viewpoints can be given, can anyone please post a rundown on these four programs?

The established three haven't had solid updates in years, and UF-Jacksonville is new. I would appreciate posts from those who interviewed there, those who are residents there, and any other general insights regarding these programs from alumni or other outsiders.

Thank you!

194 views, and no Florida perspectives?

I interviewed at all of these programs. Mayo jacksonville at the time I interviewed was going through some financial changes which effected the pain program and a bunch of attendings there jumped ship. UF seemed like a work horse program out of all the programs I interviewed at their residents seemed beat down the running joke was if you were married when you went to UF you would not be after you finish residency there. UF-Jacksonville I guess a new program probably based at Shands-Jacksonville I would imagine this program to be ideal in that its located in a awesome city Jacksonville and probably you will be its first class of residents so they must already have their work force in place CRNA's. Miami the PD was a little too slick for me. He called me up the day of rank lists and said ,"So what do you think of MIami?" On speakerphone. I imagine you can get good training at the U the cost of living vs the salary at Miami had me a bit worried as to if I could make ends meet. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at all of these programs. Mayo jacksonville at the time I interviewed was going through some financial changes which effected the pain program and a bunch of attendings there jumped ship. UF seemed like a work horse program out of all the programs I interviewed at their residents seemed beat down the running joke was if you were married when you went to UF you would not be after you finish residency there. UF-Jacksonville I guess a new program probably based at Shands-Jacksonville I would imagine this program to be ideal in that its located in a awesome city Jacksonville and probably you will be its first class of residents so they must already have their work force in place CRNA's. Miami the PD was a little too slick for me. He called me up the day of rank lists and said ,"So what do you think of MIami?" On speakerphone. I imagine you can get good training at the U the cost of living vs the salary at Miami had me a bit worried as to if I could make ends meet. Good luck.

When did you interview?

4 years ago. These programs may have changed in the last few years. I did not interview at UF Jacksonvile at that time this was only in the development stage.

How old is UF-Jax? Is the program brand new (2011)? UF was just rotating their Residents at Shands for additional cases. Are the hospitals/programs completely separate now?

How is the case load? Don't most of the paying patients in Jacksonville go elsewhere for their care?
Isn't Shands-Jax just a dumping ground for Medicaid, high risk and no pay?

When you guys pick a Residency do you ever ask the most basic question of all: "Would I want my loved one to have surgery/procedure at that hospital?"

4 years ago. These programs may have changed in the last few years. I did not interview at UF Jacksonvile at that time this was only in the development stage.

Thanks- I was just wondering bc the PD at Miami recently changed and he seemed extremely professional. I really liked it there. I wonder if they still make post interview contact. Also- there isn't a separate UF Jacksonville anesthesia residency, just the mayo one. But UF remains a workhorse program.

Thank you for the responses so far.

I heard UF-Jax accepted its first class of residents this past year, although Freida does not have them listed, so maybe not.

Is UF's reputation as a workhorse program based on good clinical training or is it just scut? I have heard that Miami is busy as well, but seems to have a better balance of cases.

Mayo-Jacksonville has a reputation for being more laid back on these forums, but what about the breadth and depth of cases there?

How are the faculty at all three places? What are the strengths and weaknesses of each place? How are job/fellowship placements from each?

Thank you again for the time and responses. I hope someone comes through with complete and thorough profiles of each place!

Miami has been a great place to train at. We get great exposure and Ill feel confident that I can handle just about anything by the end of residency. We work hard and play hard. Plenty of chill rotations though interspersed with the tough ones.

We have a new PD but the old one just moved up the food chain in the UHealth system. The PD is a young guy who is a really nice, very involved with the program and so far the transitions been seamless from my perspective.

Miami has been a great place to train at. We get great exposure and Ill feel confident that I can handle just about anything by the end of residency. We work hard and play hard. Plenty of chill rotations though interspersed with the tough ones.

We have a new PD but the old one just moved up the food chain in the UHealth system. The PD is a young guy who is a really nice, very involved with the program and so far the transitions been seamless from my perspective.

Thank you for your response.

How are the Miami residents faring job/fellowship placement? How is your ICU and Cardiac experience?

Bump for pretenda. Thanks!

ICU experience is very good depending on which ICU youre in. There are five or six we rotate through...since the residency is so big not everyone goes through the same experience. Anesthesia runs the cardiac surg ICU's at the VA and at Jackson so those are typically the best experiences, lots more drips and less chronic surgical patients, plus anesthesia attendings that pretty much all teach. We also rotate through the SICUs and Trauma ICU which are typically less interesting and heavier loads of patients but you still learn a lot about managing post op patients. Jackson does a ton of liver and kidney transplants, some small bowel and pancreas transplants, and some heart and lung transplants so you get a lot of experience dealing with the sickest of the sick in the ICUs. Ryder Trauma Center was, up until very recently, the only level 1 trauma center in south Florida so you see everything and manage every kind of patient rotating through there whether it be on the floors, the TICU (which has like thirty or so beds), or providing anesthesia in the trauma bay.

Cardiac is decent. Havent done the rotation yet but there are not a ton of cardiac surgeries at Jackson, probably 10-15/wk, but UMH does some hearts and we go to Mt Sinai on the beach to get more experienc. Everyone hits their numbers but it seems like cardiac surgery is down everywhere since PCI's are so much more common than CABGs nowadays. Cardiologists down here are even doing valve replacements percutaneously so it kind of limits the grandiosity of cardiac anesthesia down here. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Would like to know as well. Know UF Jacksonville has a surgery intern year, would like to know what the actual anesthesia training is like

Would like to know as well. Know UF Jacksonville has a surgery intern year, would like to know what the actual anesthesia training is like

interviewed there, it was a distant last on my list. almost didnt even rank it. young program that seems to have a new director every year. intern year is a surgical year, seemed like they got slaughtered.

I did. That's why I was asking if anyone had any recent updates. Mayo grads, how did you like your program?

interviewed there, it was a distant last on my list. almost didnt even rank it. young program that seems to have a new director every year. intern year is a surgical year, seemed like they got slaughtered.

The department at UF-Jax just got another new interim Chairman. After Stapelfeldt, then Panni, Lewis (from Miami), touched down as the chair at UF-Jax before moving northward--to Detroit I believe. Mayo Jax has some very good people on staff.

The department at UF-Jax just got another new interim Chairman. After Stapelfeldt, then Panni, Lewis (from Miami), touched down as the chair at UF-Jax before moving northward--to Detroit I believe. Mayo Jax has some very good people on staff.

UF-Jax used to have a very good SRNA training program, however.

My impression, rotating there, was that they don't work hard enough, they dont do enough cases. A lot of time they were done by 1pm after just 1 or 2 cases...which sounds great but that's not what you want as aspiring great anesthesiologist.

That's too funny that Lewis left already. When I interviewed there, he gaves us the "This is my baby, this is my chance to create a program that i've always wanted to do." Essentially, I'm vested in this program and will be vested in you, only to find out he left a year later. Very disappointed to see him leave as I felt he would have been a strong driver of developing that program. Although, you cannot fault someone if they find an opportunity that allows for more career growth and better opportunity.

Now with that being said, I found everyone extremely nice at UF-Jax. I think the PD continues to be vested in resident education (especially based on her educational background). I have no doubt with their connections to Mayo, their program will continue building into a solid place. For me, it wasn't the right (small class size, surgical prelim, etc). That's not to say it's not a good fit for someone else.

The assistant surgical PD gives you a talk about the intern year and he's very charismatic.

Can a recent Mayo Jax grad please message me? I have some questions about the program.