UF VetMed Hopefuls C/O 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got my interview invite as well!! Mine is February 14th at 10 am, but I am in state. Maybe there aren't specific days for IS or OOS?
I'm IS also, so there are probably not defined dates. Not sure what they sort them by, or why mine is much later in the day than others

Also, from the email it sounds like it's not going to be a blind interview?!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm IS also, so there are probably not defined dates. Not sure what they sort them by, or why mine is much later in the day than others

Also, from the email it sounds like it's not going to be a blind interview?!
I think it may still be blind. I've heard so many different things from so many different sources. The most common thing I've heard is that two of your interviewers are blind, and one is not. But I honestly have no idea what I'm talking about

Reactions: 1 user
I think it may still be blind. I've heard so many different things from so many different sources. The most common thing I've heard is that two of your interviewers are blind, and one is not. But I honestly have no idea what I'm talking about

Don't blame ya, it's the same here... I heard so many scenarios that my head is spinning.
But their email stated that the interview was mostly directed to "get to know us" and review our experiences. So at first it sounded like they were just reviewing our application, but it might mean much more depending how you interpret it... Also don't want to read too much into stuff, but I guess it's too late for that now

Members don't see this ad :)
The last several years it has been completely blind. All 3 interviewers have not seen anything of your application except for the picture that you submitted with it. I would be surprised if they changed it up for this year. Congratulations to everyone who received invites and good luck! Hopefully I'll be helping with interviews again this year, it's a lot of fun to get to know the prospective students.

Reactions: 1 users
The last several years it has been completely blind. All 3 interviewers have not seen anything of your application except for the picture that you submitted with it. I would be surprised if they changed it up for this year. Congratulations to everyone who received invites and good luck! Hopefully I'll be helping with interviews again this year, it's a lot of fun to get to know the prospective students.
Thank you :)

Got an interview for Feb. 7th at 3pm :happy: Does anyone have more information about the information panel sessions? Is like a Q & A type of thing? Or are the students talking about the school, etc and taking any questions at the end? Just curious. Since it'll take me 3.5-4 hrs to get there, I'm trying to decide if I want to try and make the session or not.

As far as blind interviews- I was told by my interviewers that some of them had seen my application and some had not. Based on the questions, I know one had seen my application.

Got an interview for Feb. 7th at 3pm :happy: Does anyone have more information about the information panel sessions? Is like a Q & A type of thing? Or are the students talking about the school, etc and taking any questions at the end? Just curious. Since it'll take me 3.5-4 hrs to get there, I'm trying to decide if I want to try and make the session or not.

It was a student panel of students from different years and they basically took any questions we had and discussed whatever we wanted them to discuss. So it biomes as detailed as you want or not based on what you asked. I really enjoyed the panel and found it helpful in getting a better picture of what life at the school is like, so I'd recommend it personally. :)

Invites have started?! Do we think no they are done sending out interview invites? :/ I know the email said "week of the 19th", but this is earlier than expected. I had high hopes for this one.

Invites have started?! Do we think no they are done sending out interview invites? :/ I know the email said "week of the 19th", but this is earlier than expected. I had high hopes for this one.
Last year invited were sent out over a 3-4 day period before people started getting rejections

Alternate for an interview :/ Anyone know more about the odds of getting an interview off the wait list? Given that I'm in state, I don't think its looking too good...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Hopefully that is the case. Congrats to those who received interview invites today!

Got my rejection, have 5 other interviews though. Goodluck to everyone!

Just got my rejection as well. I'm just disappointed because the only school that straight out rejected me was my IS school. I'm super grateful that I got so many other interviews though. Good luck to the rest of you that got interviews.

Rejected as well. :( I knew it was a long shot, but it still stings a bit.

Rejected, but I'm confused because I was offered an interview last year and now my application is ten times better. It really doesn't make sense.

Rejected, but I'm confused because I was offered an interview last year and now my application is ten times better. It really doesn't make sense.

Did you do a file review last year and improve upon the things they suggested? If so, there is a small chance there could have been a mess up (it happened to a few people last year who were accidentally rejected when they should have been invited), so it might be worth following up. But keep in mind admissions is also wholly dependent on the rest of the applicants this year, so if the calibre of applicants was a lot higher this year, you might not have been in interview range even though you were last year.

yeah I improved in every way shape and form. I improved my experiences, and my GRE is much higher I really dont get it

I got an interview too! Goodluck everyone!!

From what I've seen, there are way more 3.7+ gpa applicants this year and UF is very numbers heavy.

Just got my first rejection...funny because it's my IS.

Got an interview for the 7th at 3pm! This is my IS :)

It was a student panel of students from different years and they basically took any questions we had and discussed whatever we wanted them to discuss. So it biomes as detailed as you want or not based on what you asked. I really enjoyed the panel and found it helpful in getting a better picture of what life at the school is like, so I'd recommend it personally. :)

Thanks for the info! If I can leave earlier, I will check it out!

Just got my rejection letter too :unsure: Anyone know when admissions opens up for application reviews?

Sorry to everyone who was rejected. :( Keep your head up!! :D

Good luck to everyone with your interviews :)

Does anyone know who we should contact about file reviews?
If I'm not mistaken, UF either emailed or posted to contact _____ after ___ date to schedule a file review. I may be getting my schools mixed up though. Last year, I was told to amp up my experience (particularly equine, UF loves equine). I'm sorry you guys got bad news :(

My interview is at 3pm...a little later as well. They even have a 6PM info session which I was surprised to see.

Also, "Candidates will have a 45-minute long behavioral interview which will be scored on a number of behavioral factors such as teamwork, integrity, maturity and problem-solving." is on the website. To me, "behavioral" and "Members of the interview team will discuss your background and preparedness for veterinary school with the aim to learn more about you and your goals as related to the field of veterinary medicine" sound completely different.

Current students: Hotel recommendations? Do you know if any hotels will be offering a shuttle to the college? Or is there more information that hasn't been sent out yet?

Also, it looks like we'll find out within a week of the interviews where we stand.

"The University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine (UFCVM) will be conducting admissions interviews on Saturday, February 4th, and Saturday, February 11, 2012." and "Candidates were updated via email of their current application status on Wednesday, February 15, 2012."

I got an interview on 2/7! That's 2/2!

@pinkpuppy9 The Reitz Union in the middle of campus has a hotel, and it is just a straight shot down the road and over Archer Road to the vet school. I do not know what their rates are, though. There are also a couple hotels near the interstate (and my apartment complex). If you stay at one of them, you would only follow Archer Road for two or three miles, veer off to the right, and the vet school is right there on the right. My interview is 2/7 at 4PM. Is yours that day, too?

Last edited:
I got an interview on 2/7! That's 2/2!

@pinkpuppy9 The Reitz Union in the middle of campus has a hotel, and it is just a straight shot down the road and over Archer Road to the vet school. I do not know what their rates are, though. There are also a couple hotels near the interstate (and my apartment complex). If you stay at one of them, you would only follow Archer Road for two or three miles, veer off to the right, and the vet school is right there on the right. My interview is 2/7 at 4PM. Is yours that day, too?
Mine is the 14th. Thanks for the info! Right now I'm hunting for a hotel that offers airport shuttles to help me avoid a cab.
Ah. There's my answer then.
:( I mean it really depends on each applicant I guess. I didn't get a crazy amount of equine, but I did add some. Plus I added 1,000 zoo/wildlife hours, which is another biggie for them (but you know that already!). I hope you get good news from the other schools you're waiting on!

Congratulations everyone and chin up for all those who were rejected. It isn't the end of the world I promise.

Maybe this is the only reason they like me- almost all of my experience is exclusively equine, ha!
It's just what I've heard over and over, especially from UF alumni. Gainesville is near Ocala, which is the "Horse Capitol of the World." I think most applicants, especially IS/from that area, have thousands of equine hours. It makes it tough to compete with that!

For someone who wants to do equine, especially lameness/sports medicine.. it's a dream set up :love:

Im a lameness and SM person too! UFs equine program isn't as big as you think it is. We are still WAY out numbered by small animal folks. I do think we have an amazing set of LA clinicians though. Stahla did they show you the new riding/lameness evaluation pavilion on your tour?

Also I wouldn't blame your lack of equine experience on the reason you got a rejection. As there are so many people in school who have never once touched a horse before. It is a combination of everything in your application and how it fits in the stack of other applications that applied this year as well.

I am interested in LA, but have a long history with equine and lameness. I cannot wait to see the facilities! If you own horses, did you bring them with you to UF or are you planning to? @stahla2 @WelshCob

I am interested in LA, but have a long history with equine and lameness. I cannot wait to see the facilities! If you own horses, did you bring them with you to UF or are you planning to? @stahla2 @WelshCob

Yes my guy is here with me.

Also, it looks like we'll find out within a week of the interviews where we stand.

"The University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine (UFCVM) will be conducting admissions interviews on Saturday, February 4th, and Saturday, February 11, 2012." and "Candidates were updated via email of their current application status on Wednesday, February 15, 2012."

They updated their timeline pdf on the admissions page. It now says, "Mid to late February 2015: Admission notifications emailed to selected applicants." The one we were emailed said March. I'm happy they changed it. I am planning on applying for the dual MPH & DVM if I get admitted and the deadline to apply for it is March 1st. Which I thought was a bit odd...

Hello everyone :)

I got an interview for 2/7 at 4pm. What's everyone wearing?! I'm seeing a lot of debate over suit pants/skirt and color vs. black and grey only.

They updated their timeline pdf on the admissions page. It now says, "Mid to late February 2015: Admission notifications emailed to selected applicants." The one we were emailed said March. I'm happy they changed it. I am planning on applying for the dual MPH & DVM if I get admitted and the deadline to apply for it is March 1st. Which I thought was a bit odd...
Oh thank God. Having to wait nearly a month for a response would have killed me.

Hello everyone :)

I got an interview for 2/7 at 4pm. What's everyone wearing?! I'm seeing a lot of debate over suit pants/skirt and color vs. black and grey only.
I'll probably be wearing suit and tie... even if it is casual lol been waiting for this moment my whole life and definitely not underdressing. Always best to overdress than underdress.