UF vs. Nova

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dancer17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me the pros and cons for each. Interviewed at both and loved them! Please do NOT include information about location and cost. I'm looking for information about each program/boards/people's experiences at each.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I will tell you that I have heard from multiple sources that UF has a far superior clinical experience as opposed to NOVA

Thanks! That seems surprising though because Gainesville is a college town and Nova is located in a city. Wouldn't Nova get more of a patient pool?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
^ UF has a much bigger name and reputation in Florida in comparison to Nova. Probably because they don't have any major problems that people take note of, their students seem to do well (boards and specialties), and they were the only dental school in Florida for a long while and thus have a larger network and history. I think UF's name in general has a bigger impact than Nova's in Florida (undergrad, football, etc), so people tend to gravitate towards that. When patients at the office I shadow at hear that I interviewed at UF, they often mention how it's a great school.

I interviewed at Nova too and it was an overall nice experience. Liked the people, but I personally felt like they could've talked more about the school and curriculum (specifics about the program are relatively nonexistent on their website). Wish there had been more opportunity to interact with students other than the lunch/tour

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses! Anyone else have any experiences with these two schools?

UF > Nova in every way except friendliness to OOS applicants

But from what i've heard the students at UF are very competitive and cut-throat, where as at Nova they seem to be like a family and help one another out. Is this true?

I have heard the same thing about the students at UF and Nova but, I'd suggest you go to UF if accepted there. Read through some past threads here and you'll see why. Also, I've heard that even though Nova is in Ft Lauderdale, which one would think is a big patient pool compared to UF being in Gainesville, there's a lack of patients for students unless you are in a specialty program. I've heard a student complaining that there's a lack of patients and was fearing that she and her classmates would not meet their quota. This is something I read here and couldn't believe till I heard it myself at Nova. Competition is everywhere, You'll run into backstabbers, cut-throats, and people who'd walk all over you everywhere. It's a matter of just being you and where you feel that you'd succeed and shine more. I'm sure you'll make great friends and support each other at any school that you go to. Just keep looking through or maybe even contact someone (PM) who was accepted in previous cycles and ask how's their experience now that they are in. I think that would be the best to be able to compare apples to apples. Good luck!!!!