UFCVM Applicant/Accepted Classes taken when applied (Biochem?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FauxxFox

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I am currently a junior in college and attempting to pick my final courses for the spring semester. I know UFCVM (my #1 choice) suggests you have 80% of their prerequisites completed upon applying. I have heard from multiple sources it is HIGHLY recommended that applicants take biochemistry prior to applying (obviously if you are applying the summer before your senior year). People have told me that having taken biochemistry and receiving a grade makes UF consider you far more than other applicants. I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about this or if accepted applicants had/hadn't taken biochemistry. I'm not sure I can fit it into my schedule for the spring and I'm worried!

Thank you everyone :) And to everyone currently applying, good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard this, but perhaps it's a bit of info that never made it onto my radar. I've been researching for about 4 years and this is my second cycle, so I find it hard to believe I missed it. However, there always seems to be one bit of insider info someone else knows that you don't lol

It could be that having a traditionally difficult upper level science course (and having a good grade in it) helps your application, but then that would go for any upper evel science course.

My thought would be that biochem is hard and God forbid you get in and then fail biochem.

However, I've never heard of this before.

Members don't see this ad :)
My thought would be that biochem is hard and God forbid you get in and then fail biochem.

However, I've never heard of this before.
I've also never heard this and I applied to UF this cycle. But going along with what pinkpuppy and WelshCob said, it's a tough prereq that many people take towards the end of undergrad, either purposely putting it off or because it requires multiple prereqs itself. I don't know that having it completed would give you a HUGE advantage, for UF or anywhere else, but schools like to see that applicants have taken those upper-level prereqs/other courses and done well, whereas if you still have biochem left to go, they kind of have to take a chance on you and go off your past coursework and hope that you'll do well in it. If you struggled with organic chemistry, a good grade in biochem would be good to have under your belt to say "see? I can do this!"

As a student who is taking a break from biochem studying, I don't think this is a class you "try to fit in" to your schedule. Plan your other courses around it if possible. I rocked all the pre-reqs for this class and I am still struggling.

Reactions: 1 user
I had not completed biochem when I submitted my application to UF. I took the class in that fall during the application cycle (my last semester of undergrad). I haven't heard of anything about UFCVM and biochem. If anything, I think more people have problems with Orgo, so having that complete would be more important. Either way, good luck applying!

Just here to say biochem was my favorite class and you should definitely take it in undergrad :)

Just here to say biochem was my favorite class and you should definitely take it in undergrad :)
That's not the OP's question, though. Biochem is a required prerequisite for UF, the OP is just wondering when the best time to take it would be.

As a student who is taking a break from biochem studying, I don't think this is a class you "try to fit in" to your schedule. Plan your other courses around it if possible. I rocked all the pre-reqs for this class and I am still struggling.
I second this. You're gonna want to plan your semester around this course or have it be the only course you take over the summer or something. And 2 hours or so of studying a night. I made the mistake of taking it along with genetics....don't be me.

Thanks everyone! Maybe it was simply a rumor I came across. I have done well in orgo so I wanted to take another class (other than biochem) that could show UFCVM other 'areas' if you will that I can shine in so that was my main concern. But I'm glad to hear that this isn't something that a ton of people have heard about and maybe it is a false rumor!

For those of you that have applied or are attending UFCVM, would you recommend taking something like Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy your spring semester of your senior year or a year earlier as a junior? I know these are minute details but I have considered taking the class now and others are saying I should wait until my senior spring semester so the material is fresh in my mind in case I do get in so anatomy will be a bit "easier", for lack of a better word, which is a good idea as well! All these decisions! :)

Again, I think you should take classes wherever they fit best into your schedule. I took Comparative Anatomy & Physiology a couple years ago and I'm not worried. Did I forget some (most) of it? Yes, but it comes back fast when you see it again.