UFCVM c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vetmed94

Class of 2020!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to start this thread because I just received an interview to UF today (10/30/15) as an OOS applicant and wanted to see who else had! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I applied but haven't heard anything yet! What are your stats?

Overall GPA: 3.8
Science: 3.6ish
Last 45 hours: 3.9
GRE: honestly can't completely remember but I think quantitative 154 and verbal 156...
Vet experience: 800+ hours as a small animal vet assistant, over 1000 hours as a receptionist at VMRCVM, and ride alongs with both equine and food animal veterinarians (probably about 75 hours cumulatively)
Other animal experience/research/etc: undergrad assistant in 2 research studies, interned on Murphy Brown sow farm, kennel attendant for 2 years, decent amount of equine experience and some other small things!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That's awesome! I hope your interview goes well! I applied and UF was always my top school, but I had to drop calculus so even if I did get an interview invite I'm not sure if I would be able to go. Good luck!!

That's awesome! I hope your interview goes well! I applied and UF was always my top school, but I had to drop calculus so even if I did get an interview invite I'm not sure if I would be able to go. Good luck!!
Hopefully you still would be able to! And thanks, the interview is in two weeks which seems like pretty short notice to me especially being out of state and all but hopefully its goes well :confused:

Did they give a choice, or did they just give you one date?

Did they give a choice, or did they just give you one date?
Don't worry! For the last few years, UF invited a select few for early interviews. There should be another round of invites later

I'm applying here! Haven't heard anything yet eitherr

Don't worry! For the last few years, UF invited a select few for early interviews. There should be another round of invites later

Yep, just like pinkpuppy said, they send out some invites for an early round of interviews, and then the majority will go out a little later. I went to regular interviews and I'm here now, so don't stress out if you didn't get an early invite. :)

I was actually missing one of my prereqs (biochem) when I applied, after I was accepted they just told me to complete it by the end of spring. So plan on enrolling next semester, I think most of the vet schools have an allowance for that. I actually had some problems arise and wasn't sure if I could take it that spring since I was living abroad, and so they worked it out with me and gave me special permission to take it over the summer. Thankfully I did manage to find a course I could complete in spring, I definitely did NOT want that hanging over my head all summer!

Yep, just like pinkpuppy said, they send out some invites for an early round of interviews, and then the majority will go out a little later. I went to regular interviews and I'm here now, so don't stress out if you didn't get an early invite. :)

I was actually missing one of my prereqs (biochem) when I applied, after I was accepted they just told me to complete it by the end of spring. So plan on enrolling next semester, I think most of the vet schools have an allowance for that. I actually had some problems arise and wasn't sure if I could take it that spring since I was living abroad, and so they worked it out with me and gave me special permission to take it over the summer. Thankfully I did manage to find a course I could complete in spring, I definitely did NOT want that hanging over my head all summer!

I was in calculus this semester but I ended up dropping because it was so hard with my other classes and I wasn't sure how great my chances were for UF because of my GPA! That's the only school I applied to that required calculus, so I would have hated to stay in it and suffered in my other classes if I wasn't too sure about being accepted! Do you go to UF?

I got an interview invite yesterday for 11/14 10 AM. Do anyone know if the optional information panels worth attending?

I was in calculus this semester but I ended up dropping because it was so hard with my other classes and I wasn't sure how great my chances were for UF because of my GPA! That's the only school I applied to that required calculus, so I would have hated to stay in it and suffered in my other classes if I wasn't too sure about being accepted! Do you go to UF?

Yup, I do go here. :) Unfortunately, I don't think the regular interview invitations went out until mid-January, so you won't know if you have a chance until after you've already started spring classes. I guess you could sign up and drop it again if you find out you didn't get an invite? Or, if you get an interview invite and haven't signed up to take it, you could try talking to them and seeing if they'll allow you to take it over the summer. They're pretty accommodating, but I wouldn't rely on that - if it's possible to sign up and drop it if needed spring semester, I would definitely do that. I had to shell out a good bit of cash to take that biochem class, and really regretted not slotting it into one of my undergrad semesters.

I got an interview invite yesterday for 11/14 10 AM. Do anyone know if the optional information panels worth attending?

Congrats! So the info panel is composed of a bunch of current students, and none of the admissions staff attend. It's basically your chance to ask anything you might not have felt comfortable asking earlier in the day. Might not be too useful if you're a UF student and know a good bit about the vet school already, but I found it helpful since I was from out of state. I wanted to know more about living in Gainesville (ex. bar scene, things to do, etc), and I wanted to know more about some of the specific clubs/hands on opportunities outside of class.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on the interview! I'll be one of the tour guides that day so I might be seeing you :) as for the panel I recommend going if you have any questions about the program, living in Gainesville etc. It is very relaxed and is a mix of current students answering any questions that you might have. I was an instate student that had visited the vet school a couple times before, but it was really nice to hear more about living in Gainesville and places to live and things to do since I came from South Florida.

I haven't received an interview yet... Congrats to those that did! I hope to hear something soon!

Congrats to those that got interviews! Now I'm biting my nails and feeling hopeful. XD

UF is my top school and Florida is my home state, so I'm hopeful I'll hear back.

Did you guys get any confirmation from UF that all of your stuff was received? I haven't received anything from UF.

Congrats to those that got interviews! Now I'm biting my nails and feeling hopeful. XD

UF is my top school and Florida is my home state, so I'm hopeful I'll hear back.

Did you guys get any confirmation from UF that all of your stuff was received? I haven't received anything from UF.
The only contact I had with UF was confirmation that my supplemental app was submitted back in August and then the interview invite.

When I applied last year I didn't hear anything back from UF until the beginning of December when they sent out a timeline of events to all of the applicants. You probably won't hear anything from them until then and you won't hear about interviews until mid-January.

To anyone who goes to UF, what is the best way to get to campus from the airport?

I was also invited for an interview on the 14th. Mine is at 1pm. Any suggestions for prep other than reading through the interview questions posted on here?

I was also invited for an interview on the 14th. Mine is at 1pm. Any suggestions for prep other than reading through the interview questions posted on here?
Honestly I advise not studying past questions. All of my interviews last year were more like conversations which threw me off at first. I think I was only asked one actual ethical question in my UF interview. My advise is just to be yourself and if you have an opinion stick with it, don't just come up with the answer you think they are looking for. They will drill you and try to get you to change but as long as you give your opinion and your reasoning behind it you'll be fine, I know some people that got into arguments with one of their interviewers and they were still accepted. Also don't be afraid to say "I don't know" it's better to say that you lack that knowledge but you are willing to learn more about it then trying to half ass an answer.

I got an early interview also...I am so excited I can barely contain myself. Good luck to everyone!

I received an early interview as well. So excited! :) Good luck to everyone!

I'm applying out of state, but also have not heard anything. Good luck to all the interviewers next weekend!

I'm applying out of state, but also have not heard anything. Good luck to all the interviewers next weekend!
Don't worry if you haven't hear anything, the early interview is an a very small group of applicants. The majority of instate and out of state will have their interviews in February. Myself and the majority of my classmates all were February interviews :)

As far as the info panels go, it seems like they aren't crucial to attend? I have something later in the day and need to know if I will be missing out on any really important info. I'm a UF undergrad student that has been around the vet school often, so I feel like I won't have housing questions, etc.

Hi, guys! Current UF CVM Class of 2019'er here! Just dropping by to say "Good luck"!

@SmallTownBoy the public transportation in town is awesome, but not *that* awesome. The airport is quite a ways from town and campus. I'd recommend renting a car. If that's not an option, uber!

@wildestdream the info panel is just a couple of us current students answering questions about the curriculum, gainesville, and anything else that applicants want to know about to make their decision! not crucial, but recommended!

How were all the interviews for everyone?! And how did everyone like the school? Interested to hear about all your experiences!

So when does everyone else get their interview invites? Is it November or December?

I've been anxiously checking my email every two seconds; I didn't know how soon they would send early admissions decisions, since I've read that some people hear back within a few days. I don't know if I can handle waiting until mid-December :nailbiting:

Florida was amazing. I've toured and interviewed at a few schools and they just blew them out of the water.

I thought we wouldn't hear back until the end of December? The thread last year certainly gave me that impression.

Florida was amazing. I've toured and interviewed at a few schools and they just blew them out of the water.

I thought we wouldn't hear back until the end of December? The thread last year certainly gave me that impression.

I totally agree--the facilities were beautiful, and it's my IS so I'm highly motivated to accept.
The C/O 2018 heard back a week after their interview date..I'm assuming the admissions committee has to meet before deciding which invitations to send out

Last edited:
I totally agree--the facilities were beautiful, and it's one of my IS schools so I'm highly motivated to accept.
The C/O 2018 heard back a week after their interview date..I'm assuming the admissions committee has to meet before deciding which invitations to send out. I almost want to nag Lynette Chaparro and ask haha
:love: your avatar

This wait is killing me. Without fail I check my email almost every hour just in case haha

It's killing me too! Hopefully we will hear sometime soon!
I feel like since it's now going to be the week of Thanksgiving we're not going to hear back until at least the week after...:bigtears:

For those of you waiting on early interview responses, they didn't receive an answer until early-ish Jan last year which was a little bit later than expected. For those waiting on regular interview invites, we got them last year on Jan 16th :)...at like 9 pm!

Realistically you all won't hear back about early interview decisions until January. I was talking to Lynette at early interviews and all of the remarks from the interviews have to get upload to a computer and sent back to the admissions committee and then the admissions committee has to review everything. She said its like trying to herd cats because some interviewers tend to take their time on submitting their parts. In addition you have the holiday season working against you with breaks for Thanksgiving and Christmas so just plan on receiving them in January and don't focus to much on them for now, if they come early then it would just be a surprise ;) Just enjoy your holidays and be proud of all that you have achieved so far :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I may have missed this but has anyone emailed admissions regarding a time range in which we'd here back or have they sent an email or something?

How do I find out the status of my application and change my contact phone number?

Do we have any idea about how many people get official acceptances from the early interviews by their December deadline?

Reactions: 2 users
For the current UFCVM students--if I have yet to take any thorough anatomy courses would you recommend finding something over the summer? I saw a thread that recommended that learning it first year was better because professors teach it differently, I wanted to see what your perspective was for Florida's anatomy!

For the current UFCVM students--if I have yet to take any thorough anatomy courses would you recommend finding something over the summer? I saw a thread that recommended that learning it first year was better because professors teach it differently, I wanted to see what your perspective was for Florida's anatomy!
I took comparative vertebrate anatomy in undergrad and I feel that it definitely helped me with anatomy in vet school. The biggest thing it helped me with was learning how I needed to study anatomy so that I would retain it, which was different than how I studied for other courses. If you still have courses to take for you degree then I definitely recommend taking an anatomy class, ideally comparative/dog anatomy, but human would be beneficial too. However, if you will have already graduated and don't need the credit then I wouldn't waste your money. I would take the time to enjoy your summer, because as someone who was taking classes three weeks before starting vet school not having a break sucked. But you can be proactive and buy "Guide to the dissection of the dog" 7th ed. by Lahunta, which is the textbook we use in canine anatomy and start studying anatomical terms, osteology, and action/origin/insertion/innervation/arterial supply of forelimb and hindlimb muscles. But don't think that you have to do any of this. There were quite a few of my classmates that didn't have any previous anatomy experience and they all passed.

I did not previously take any anatomy before vet school, but if you have the opportunity to, I highly recommend it.

I am a first time OOS applicant, and I haven't heard anything at all since August. Is there a place online where we can check our status? Also, if granted an interview in February, does UF do interviews via video-conferencing/skype? I am out of the country for 10 months, and if I get an interview flying back could be challenging (and very expensive).

I just got an email that I'm accepted!!! I'm OOS and interviewed 11/14.

Reactions: 7 users