UGA c/o 2019 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you guys get emails
Emailed about 15 minutes ago with a PDF file saying their decision

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I got on the alternate list... Which isn't flat out rejected, but just extends the pain of hoping for something to happen. :/ sorry to everyone else!

Accepted! Whoop whoop!

Reactions: 2 users
Got placed on the alternate list. But I got into my top school already so no big deal! I can officially say I have not been rejected from any schools!

Some people that got accepted what were your stats? If you don't mind sharing

Accepted as a contract seat student! And on my birthday too!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just going to post my stats here because UGA was my IS and the only school I applied to. Don't give up if you did not get in! This was my second year applying.

Overall GPA: 3.49
GRE combined: 310, 4 on writing
experiences: over 8000 hours vet and animal experience (not including living on a horse farm, these are worked and paid hours..) I have equine, large animal, research, shelter, and zoo experience hours.

I don't remember my other stats but I can look them up. Yall just let me know what you want to know.

4th year applicant. Denied

GPA 3.37
GRE 297

Over 8000 hours of veterinary experience

Rejected... Now to interview at Illinois and Penn... last chance...

Congrats to everyone who got in! I know some classmates who got in, too, so this class will be fun for sure. And the new hospital is amazing. Athens is a crazy fun city, too. :)

On waiting list.
Congratulations to all who got accepted!

Accepted!! Woah. Thank you to everyone on here for the continuous encouragement and support! And good luck to everyone! See some of y'all in the fall :)

Reactions: 1 users
My stats were:
GPA 3.71
GRE 303, 3.5 writing
1,250 hours of experience only at small animal clinics.

Hoping to strengthen my application and try again next year! Still pretty bummed.

Rejected:

GPA: 3.54
GRE: 309, idr writing
~3500 hours, small animal, lab animal, zoo, wildlife, and a small amount of large animal.
1st time OOS

waiting for 2 more interviews and was accepted to SGU. This is just a huge bummer.

Accepted contract seat, 1st time applicant:

GPA: 3.82
GRE: 307, 4
1,100 hours small animal, food animal, and equine
~1,500 dairy hours (non-vet), 400 hours working at a boarding stable

Accepted and I cannot believe it. 2nd time applicant first time applying to georgia. GPA 3.65 and GRE 157 verbal and 160 math :D Plus 1400 veterinary hours with 400 of them being with large animal veterinarians!

Rejected :(
GPA: 3.33
GRE: 315 writing: 4.0
A little over 800 hours of mixed experience.

I knew I probably wouldn't get in this year but it still really sucks. Especially since they called my vet, said I was in the "maybe" pile and then the vet said their conversation went really well. :(

Accepted :soexcited:

SC Contract

GPA: 3.82
GRE: 309 writing: 4.0
References from 5 doctors/vets
Over 3,000 hours experience with small, large, food, and equine (vet and non-vet hours)
~150 hours spermatogonial stem cell research

Last edited:
Does anyone know how University of Georgia's campus is? Can you walk to the vet school like you can for penn's or do you have to drive there like florida's?

My stats were:
GPA 3.71
GRE 303, 3.5 writing

Hoping to strengthen my application and try again next year! Still pretty bummed.
Your GPA is where it needs to be for sure, if I were you I would search for a large animal internship. They like to see a well rounded applicant. Do that and I definetly think you will get in. If you are in Georgia, I have ties to a wildlife preserve and an animal shelter (high volume, on staff vet, surgeries done in house) if you are interested.

Your GPA is where it needs to be for sure, if I were you I would search for a large animal internship. They like to see a well rounded applicant. Do that and I definetly think you will get in. If you are in Georgia, I have ties to a wildlife preserve and an animal shelter (high volume, on staff vet, surgeries done in house) if you are interested.
I am very interested!!!

Does anyone know how University of Georgia's campus is? Can you walk to the vet school like you can for penn's or do you have to drive there like florida's?
The old vet school is right on campus. The new one is a couple of miles away (not sure when they are moving classes over there)

I'm so sorry.. I know how hard you have worked for this considering it's your 3rd year applying.

i know, i'm really bummed but maybe its just not meant to be for me. Don't know if i will apply again.....i'm ready to move on and get on with my life. I can't keep putting it on hold for vet school.

Rejected OOS

Overall GPA 3.52
Science GPA 3.65
Last 45 hours 3.72

GRE 305 Writing 4.5
Small Animal Vet Experience: 1,000 hours
Poultry Vet Experience: 3500 hours
Prostate Cancer Research: 300 hours
Animal Experience: Equine, Exotic Felines, Small Animal - Roughly 10,000 hours (Grew up with horses, did a lot of volunteer work)
Currently Run a Pathology Lab

I've gotten into one school and still waiting on two more, so I wont be applying to Georgia anymore, Good luck to the rest of yall!

My stats were:
GPA 3.71
GRE 303, 3.5 writing

Wow... Your stats are great. I'm confused why you weren't accepted!

Rejected :(
GPA: 3.33
GRE: 315 writing: 4.0
A little over 800 hours of mixed experience.

I knew I probably wouldn't get in this year but it still really sucks. Especially since they called my vet, said I was in the "maybe" pile and then the vet said their conversation went really well. :(

That's what they told my reference as well. The lady that called said that they go to a round table and basically make a case for each person that they called for.

i know, i'm really bummed but maybe its just not meant to be for me. Don't know if i will apply again.....i'm ready to move on and get on with my life. I can't keep putting it on hold for vet school.

I feel ya. This is pretty much my last go at this too.

I know exactly how you feel. If I apply again it will be the 5th time. I have put marriage and children on hold for this. I am 26 now and if I get accepted next year will be 32 when I graduate. Big IF. I know my GPA is lower and my GRE isn't great but I have continued to gain experience in all different veterinary fields and have done everything they recommended short of retaking classes. I just can't afford to leave my job 3 days a week for a class.

I am interested too. Can you send me the info please?

Does anyone know how big the OOS/non-contract waitlist is?

For those that were rejected and unsure if they will re-apply - This was my 4th time applying and I definitely had some depression and doubts over the years. I only applied to my IS school previously because I'm a single parent and I didn't think it would be practical for me to move. This year, kind of last minute, I decided to apply to a total of 6 schools and I carefully considered each one to optimize my chances of getting in. UGA was the only school I didn't really look at acceptance stats for, I just applied based on the recommendation of a friend who went there. This was probably a mistake on my part since they accept so few OOS students. Basically I just decided I was getting in this cycle no matter what. Thankfully I was granted an interview at my IS school for the first time and subsequently accepted, and I'm so glad I decided to stick it out and keep applying.

Basically, if this is what you really want, don't give up. Do file reviews with every school that will let you to see what you can do to strengthen your application. I'd even recommend considering accredited foreign/Caribbean schools.

Last edited:
Thank you all so much for contributing to this page because it eased my mind many times. I didn't have any useful input until I was accepted yesterday! Here are my stats and I hope they ease someone else's mind and give you hope. Good luck to everyone applying/re-applying and feel free to pm me. Btw is there a Facebook page for c/o 2019?

Southeast GA resident (some areas are more competitive than others)
Biology Major, Spanish minor (I actually forgot to put Spanish minor on VMCAS)
1st time applicant
F, 23

Applied: UGA, Auburn, Western
Interviewed: Western, Auburn (declined)
Waitlisted: Western
Accepted: UGA

Overall GPA: 3.64
Science GPA: 3.68
Last 45: 3.93

GRE (Quant,Verbal,Writing):
150, 151, 4 (Taken twice)

Vet Experience:
2,300 only small animal at two hospitals

Animal Experience:
20 animal control
6 wildlife refuge
6 continued education
50 Save a life
1000 animal ownership- not just dogs and cats

Employment:
2,200 managing my parents store

Awards:
Presidents and deans lists multiple times
Study abroad scholarship
Hope scholarship

No research experience: I felt awful that I had to check the box with no experience. Additionally, I found out after that I could have used my molecular biology lab class because we did research on fungi.

Community Experience:
I had a lot of random events I volunteered for
I included what I learned from my two study abroad trips
I have a lot of sports related activities like soccer, yoga and scuba diving
60 hrs of volunteering at a indoor Rock climbing gym
6 months of volunteering at a Learning Center
I even included salsa dancing

LORS: (I think the diversity and the excellent letters played a huge role in my acceptance. I always strive to go above and beyond and people will recognize your hard work and vouch for you when the time comes. Always act professional and enthusiastic about what you're doing.)
1. SA Vet UGA alumni
2. SA Vet Tenn Alumni - said phone conversation with UGA went really well
3. SA Vet Tuskegee
4. Ochem Professor
5. Spanish Professor
6. Manager of Climbing gym

Personal statement: I think this is where I really shined. TELL A STORY. They know you have loved animals forever but what sets YOUR EXPERIENCE apart from everyone else?
I can not stress this enough: Get everyone to read it! Friends, family, PROFESSORS. I went out on a limb and asked all of my current professors to read it and one of them, that I was not even close with, edited my entire statement multiple times. He also edited my UGA supplemental. Then, he went even further to dedicate the last (optional) lecture for interviews. Not only that, he did a mock interview for me and researched vet questions. I did not expect him to go to the extremes to help me but Im so glad I email all my professors because it has changed my life.
More great advice from a lawyer was try to start every sentence with "I". They want to know about you, not about what other people did, which is exactly how my first statement was. I talked about how great all the other doctors were, but what kind of doctor was I going to be? What about my greatness? That's what they need to hear about. This is your one chance to be selfish and talk about yourself. Im very modest and this was hard for me but I guarantee my first statement would have been laughed at and my second one would have been thrown out too.

I opened with a dramatic scene of my first amputation. Talked about how I was introduced to vet med in high school and what I did after graduation. Then talked about my major in college and how it applied to vet med. The last paragraph was the only one I put emotion in to. The rest were about my professional experience. I didn't even talk about what kind of vet I wanted to be besides a great one!

Best advice I got for interviews: Think of the interview as a celebration of all your hard work and its your time to give them a reason why they should pick you over another applicant.
Be prepared to answer:
Tell me about yourself- have an array of 4-5 wonderful things about you so you can gear the next question in a direction of things you are interested in and comfortable talking about.
Why do you want to be a vet? Why should we pick you over someone else? Why that school in particular? Whats your greatest weakness/failure- the weakness is a tough one but I picked a weakness that everyone will have going into vet med and something that I could overcome.
The Western interview was strictly behavior based and did not ask any of these questions^. However I did two mock interviews and these are questions you simply must be prepared to answer.

"Don't downgrade your dream just to fit your reality. Upgrade your conviction to match your destiny."

Does anyone have any ideas about what you will be doing for housing?

Accepted as a contract seat student! And on my birthday too!!

I also got accepted on my birthday!! Best birthday present EVER! I lurk here a lot, but rarely post. Posting my stats is the least I could do!

3rd time IS applicant
Animal Science at UGA for undergrad, finishing up master's degree program in Animal and Dairy Science at UGA (I bleed red and black, apparently :p)
Undergrad GPA: 3.23
Graduate GPA: 3.67

GRE scores V:650 Q: 600 W: 4.0

Veterinary Experience:
Small animal: 1700+
Large animal/mixed: 1200+
Research: 900+
Non-veterinary animal experience: 400+, and then I have owned a variety of pets all my life

I also had tons of community service, was in like 4 clubs in undergrad, and marched in the Redcoat Band. I also did veterinary volunteer work in Central America, and worked various jobs in the vet school.

My LORs were from:
1. Veterinarian that I worked for
2. Veterinarian that I worked with (we were coworkers)
3. Undergraduate advisor
4. Graduate advisor
5. PI in the lab that I did most of my research in (is also a vet)

I was told that my letters were very strong, and my personal statement was fantastic. I want to do veterinary pathology, which as it turns out is an under-served area of vet med according to VMCAS website.

Let me be an example to everyone out there who's GPA isn't super perfect: IT IS STILL POSSIBLE. Just don't give up, and constantly strive to better yourself! My mantra for 3 years was "persistence is my superpower."

Does anyone have any ideas about what you will be doing for housing?
My friend at UGA currently told me to hold off on even thinking about housing until we have attended the accepted students weekend! She has reminded me several times too so I think I will listen to her advice. But as far as housing, there are so many options in Athens. It has a great student living community throughout.

Officially decided on attending UGA! crazyyyyyyy....see you all in March? Did anyone get that invite yesterday?

Reactions: 2 users
Officially decided on attending UGA! crazyyyyyyy....see you all in March? Did anyone get that invite yesterday?
Yepp, got it and will be attending!!! So excited to meet everyone!