UGA CVM c/o 2016 hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krrobin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know UGA is selective in their process (By that I mean basically only letting students in from four states), but is there anyone else out there applying to UGA this year??

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying to UGA's CVM this year. I'm in-state; you?

I'm applying for a contract spot...I've been having issues starting the supplemental essay. :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Cool! I never see many UGA applicants on here so if you have any questions let me know! (This isn't my first application cycle :oops: ) About the supp app I went to this link:

http://www.vet.uga.edu/admissions/Forms/UGA-CVM-supplemental-application.pdf

When I did it the note in red wasn't there...looks like you'll have to e-mail all that stuff to Laura Leigh the admissions counselor ([email protected]). If you've done that and are still waiting I'd call her (706-542-5727). Once I submitted my request it took at most a week before I got the e-mail that gave me the actual link to the supp app. Looks like requests have to be made by the end of this month so I'd def try getting in contact with her asap! Good luck!! FYI: the admin office always seems to be busy so be persistent!

I'm not even close to applying as I am just a freshman this year, but I've talked to admissions at UGA already because I had several questions. Laura Leigh was always very friendly and took the time to get EVERYTHING I needed. And I had a LOT of questions. She's very nice. :]

Yeah, I have met with her and have my supplemental application set up already. I meant more as "I have no idea how to write about this topic" kind of don't know how to start it. I have everything else done (including personal statement... just haven't submitted VMCAS yet) I just seem to have hit a wall on this one.

I know what I can bring to the table, but I'm awful at making myself look good with being too cocky.

Gotcha! LOL...totally took that in the wrong direction! I understand...I haven't even started on the essay part but I did most everything else. It might help to talk to family and friends about what makes you outstanding and how you could verbalize it...that's def the most difficult part of this application process imo!

Haha, it's alright. Yeah... Once I get started I think I'll be okay, but I'll try some of that out to hopefully get a good start on it.

I'm applying this year too! I'm in state and I'm also having major issues coming up with something to write about for the supp app. :confused:

Have any of you guys submitted yet? Also, the payment has to be mailed directly to them, right?

I haven't submitted mine yet either :oops: I started writing the essay part the other night and quickly realized that 500 characters add up quickly! In regards to the payment, yes you need to mail it directly to them. When you log in to your supplemental application you will see all that information towards the bottom of the page. Good luck to you!

kittkat

I haven't submitted mine yet either :oops: I started writing the essay part the other night and quickly realized that 500 characters add up quickly! In regards to the payment, yes you need to mail it directly to them. When you log in to your supplemental application you will see all that information towards the bottom of the page. Good luck to you!

kittkat

You mean 500 words right? I'm pretty sure its words, not characters.

I apologize!! krrobin, you are absolutely correct. It is in fact 500 words not characters...so def a little more wiggle room :) Thanks for pointing that out!

Ah, thank god.. I already submitted with 499 words. I was about to be thrown into a panic!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Everything has shown up as received on my supplemental status check!!!

Grats!! Good luck :luck: I just submitted VMCAS :oops: ...now I have to finish the supplemental essay and I'm all done!!

I just received an e-mail from UGA about filling out a residency verification form. I was wondering if anyone knows if this means anything with regards to moving along in the application process or is this something they send to all applicants? I'm a SC applicant. Thanks

I think it is what it is-just a residency request form. Is this your first time applying to UGA CVM? I believe both in state and out of state applicants have to complete this form especially if it's their first time applying. In terms of moving along...in a way. There are qualified and non-qualified applicants. I imagine you are qualified because otherwise you would have received notification saying you were not ie: gpa to low, lacking credits, missing test scores, etc. Unfortunately, we won't really know anything else until the spring when they send out letters. Last year, in late February, they made a few early admin calls accepting the top 10%. Hang in there, only about 3 more months to go!

I wonder why UGA chooses not to do interviews.

It seems a little....counter-intuitive? You can look fantastic on paper, but when you're actually questioned on something at an interview, your true colors (i.e. no real interest in the field, etc.) can really show through.

Wonder why they take that chance? Just wondering your thoughts?

I've often wondered this myself but I don't think I've ever really asked someone in the admin office. I imagine that they may eventually decided to do interviews one day... Side note, I got an e-mail today saying that UGA received all of my materials and that in lieu of personal interviews they will be conducting reference interviews early 2012 (January & February). Happy Holidays!

I've often wondered this myself but I don't think I've ever really asked someone in the admin office. I imagine that they may eventually decided to do interviews one day... Side note, I got an e-mail today saying that UGA received all of my materials and that in lieu of personal interviews they will be conducting reference interviews early 2012 (January & February). Happy Holidays!

UGA used to do interviews, apparently. Not sure why they stopped, though.

I'm a 2nd time applicant to UGA (it's my IS). Just got an e-mail that my residency has been verified. Now there's just contacting a reference between now and their decision. Hope I get in this year!!!

Good luck! :luck:

I just came from there, because I was invited to a meeting. I really like the people there. They've been very friendly so far. It's my IS, too, and I hope I can attend it in three years.

Hi there! I am also applying to UGA IS this year and recently received confirmation of my GA residency. I was curious, though, about how you know they only need to contact a reference between now and their decision? Did you talk to Laura Leigh or was it mentioned in the residency confirmation email message? If you don't feel comfortable sharing that information, I totally understand! Hopefully we will both get in this spring and best of luck to you!!

Hi there! I am also applying to UGA IS this year and recently received confirmation of my GA residency. I was curious, though, about how you know they only need to contact a reference between now and their decision? Did you talk to Laura Leigh or was it mentioned in the residency confirmation email message? If you don't feel comfortable sharing that information, I totally understand! Hopefully we will both get in this spring and best of luck to you!!

Well, I suppose they also still have to have file reviews as well. I just know they contact one of your eLOR people, because they did last year, and I assume that GPAs have been calculated already to make sure we all made the cut off for apps

Hope we both get in!

I wonder why UGA chooses not to do interviews.

It seems a little....counter-intuitive? You can look fantastic on paper, but when you're actually questioned on something at an interview, your true colors (i.e. no real interest in the field, etc.) can really show through.

Wonder why they take that chance? Just wondering your thoughts?

Hey everyone, I applied this year as OOS! I hate that we have to wait so darn long to hear back--it's driving me nuts!

I'm not sure exactly why UGA stopped doing interviews, but I know that CSU did much of the same thing. They stopped their interview process like four years ago, and when I asked vets at the teaching hospital if they'd ever bring it back, the response was basically "Doubtful, because it doesn't appear to make a difference."

I completely agree with you on how interviews can reveal more about a person than simply a file, but I guess if a vet school can keep getting high quality students without that entire process, then it's not likely to come back. :(

Doesn't make a difference...hmmm...anywho, I agree with ouijetaime-I'm sure file reviews are underway and soon the only thing left to do will be reference checks. Also, in the past I've had more than one reference called. This is my fourth time applying!! I'm IS and I'm getting so anxious as the days go by...as they inch closer to decision day. Gah! Good luck to everyone!!!

I haven't received confirmation of residency. Was residency confirmation or applications submitted by email or snail mail?

I got my residency confirmation via e-mail a couple of days ago. It's probably something they're still in the process of determining so I wouldn't panic that you haven't been notified yet. Also, like ouijetaime, I'm a repeater so maybe those applicants who have already had residency confirmations in the past are notified sooner because they've already gone through the process?? (just a theory) You could always call or e-mail Laura Leigh in the admin office just to be sure if you're worried.

I haven't received confirmation of residency. Was residency confirmation or applications submitted by email or snail mail?

I got mine by email as well. Are you IS or OOS? I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you don't hear anything next week. Also don't worry about it not being on the status check system, my residency is not listed on there even though I got a verification email. If you are worried about it though I second calling Laura Leigh, she is always very nice and willing to help.

Okay, thanks! Sounds good. I spoke with the Admissions Office around the first of the year and they told me we probably won't know anything until the end of March - eek!!! Up to 68 days left of anxiety, but who's counting?!?!?!?! Best of luck to everyone!!

Hey another question for kittkat and ouijetaime - did UGA's Admissions Office at least disclose to you all why they did not accept you in the past? I am hoping that at least if I get rejected, I can find out what I need to do to improve my chances of admission during the next application cycle. Thanks for any insight!!!

Hey another question for kittkat and ouijetaime - did UGA's Admissions Office at least disclose to you all why they did not accept you in the past? I am hoping that at least if I get rejected, I can find out what I need to do to improve my chances of admission during the next application cycle. Thanks for any insight!!!

Yes. UGA does file reviews after the application cycle is finished. They went through every part of my application with me and told me where I was okay and where I needed to work on my app (more experience!).

I know UGA is selective in their process (By that I mean basically only letting students in from four states), but is there anyone else out there applying to UGA this year??

Which four states?

Yeah that's what I meant... they actually had 7 enroll at large last year, but usually its only 1. I'm still waiting on my SC residency to be verified. I sent it in two weeks ago! Its so nerve wracking... and awful just waiting. Has anyone's references been called yet?

Krrobin, have you tried contacting Laura Leigh about your SC residency? I hate to say it but I think it's still pretty early in the game...in other words, I wouldn't panic just yet! :) I went back and read the thread for last year and it looks like those who were offered early admin had their references called around the second week in February and everyone else started having their references called towards the end of February.

Yeah...I wish I was good enough to be an early admit. Stupid GPA and not having a dairy at my college.

Yeah that's what I meant... they actually had 7 enroll at large last year, but usually its only 1. I'm still waiting on my SC residency to be verified. I sent it in two weeks ago! Its so nerve wracking... and awful just waiting. Has anyone's references been called yet?

It looks like UGA got the ball rolling a little early this year. One of my references was called this week... Let the games begin!

Last edited:
Cool - how do you go back and read last year's thread? Sitting here anxious as ever, lolol!!!!

Cool - how do you go back and read last year's thread? Sitting here anxious as ever, lolol!!!!

The way I found it was by googling "sdn Uga 2015--or whatever other year--veterinary". These are the patterns I noticed:

1.) Nearly all accepted applicants in the past two years have had at least one reference called by mid March

2.) Early admissions is in mid February (usually the Monday or Tuesday of week three) and consists of a phone call to the top 10% of all applicants.. Everyone who gets early acceptance finds out on the same day via phone. Everyone else seems to know by mid March via snail mail. All snail mail is sent at roughly the same time.

Last edited:
It looks like UGA really got the ball rolling early this year. One of my references told me he was called earlier this week... Let the games begin!

Excellent!! :thumbup: Good luck everyone! :luck:

BTW, there's a search bar on SDN and I usually just type in what I want to look up ie. UGA CVM 2015 etc :)

Here's to hoping! Has anyone else had a reference contacted yet? Based on my reading, there seems to be no correlation between the time a reference is contacted and being a successful admit. I suppose that taking the time and energy to contact a reference means that the vet school is at least considering you.

Last edited:
Sigh. None of my references have been called yet. :( :( :( feeling rather hopeless. I know that's stupid with so much time still to go, but... everything is riding on someone finally telling me "yes."

Sigh. None of my references have been called yet. :( :( :( feeling rather hopeless. I know that's stupid with so much time still to go, but... everything is riding on someone finally telling me "yes."
*Hugs* It'll be okay Ouijetaime… It's not even the end of January yet.. There is LOADS of time remaining for calling/file sorting/whatever.. What did Niblet say..? Sixty-something days (…of utter agony...)?

Last edited:
Sigh. None of my references have been called yet. :( :( feeling rather hopeless. I know that's stupid with so much time still to go, but... everything is riding on someone finally telling me "yes."

Don't worry Ouijetaime, I haven't had any references contacted yet (that I know of). There's still plenty of time. :) Have you applied anywhere else? I applied to three other schools and so far I have one interview invite. I'm right there with you though on waiting for that "yes"...it's even more difficult when in the past you've only gotten "no". Things happen for a reason, and if this is what you truly want you will get it someday! In the meantime, try to enjoy the nice weather, a good book, or pick up a hobby...I know it's easy to say but I'm sure it will take your mind off things and make the time seem more bearable.

Prospectivevet, is this your first time applying? Who knows whether or not calling this early is good or bad. I think calling regardless of the time is a good thing so look at it like that :D

:luck: :xf: :whistle: :xf: :luck:

(only about 6-8 more weeks...I hope... :scared: )

Thanks Prospectivevet, kittkat, and Ouijetaime!!! Every one of you has helped me keep my faith!!! Yes, we are down to possibly 63 days of torture, lol!! As far as my references being contacted, I think they have tried to reach one, but the only reason I know is because I answered the phone while at work. None of my references have actually told me they were interviewed. I believe this reference has arranged to speak with them next Tuesday (1/31) (I gave him a heads up they are probably trying to interview him, vs. just ask a quick administrative question). However, he wrote an eLor for another applicant, so it could be about either or both of us. So bottom line is that I really don't know jack, lol!!! I'll let you all know if I hear anything else. Keep your heads up and I really hope I get to meet each of you soon! If I get in, I am pretty sure I will be moving out there in June... Okay, back to more waiting...

Hey.. I know it's really early to say this, but... We might have found a house here in Athens to live next school year and we're looking for roommates. It's a 5 br house, where there will probably be 2 rooms to give away still. Just saying. Hahaha. It's pretty close to campus and it'd be $300 + utilities if all 5 br were filled. If anybody is interested once they know they'll be going to UGA, pm me and I can tell you more when I get more information. :]

Prospectivevet, is this your first time applying? Who knows whether or not calling this early is good or bad. I think calling regardless of the time is a good thing so look at it like that :D

:luck: :xf: :whistle: :xf: :luck:

(only about 6-8 more weeks...I hope... :scared: )
Yes Kittkat, the doctor did say the first thing that they told him on the phone was that I was "in a pool of applicants they were currently considering for admissions". So I suppose it's a great thing. It just really startled me that all this happened in January. They've got those gears grinding something fierce this year, I suppose. And I'm a first time applicant (and hoping to keep it that way!) :cool:. Good luck to you as well, I saw your name in archived posts from previous years, so I know you must be very ready to start school!

Thanks Prospectivevet, kittkat, and Ouijetaime!!! Every one of you has helped me keep my faith!!! Yes, we are down to possibly 63 days of torture, lol!! As far as my references being contacted, I think they have tried to reach one, but the only reason I know is because I answered the phone while at work. None of my references have actually told me they were interviewed. I believe this reference has arranged to speak with them next Tuesday (1/31) (I gave him a heads up they are probably trying to interview him, vs. just ask a quick administrative question). However, he wrote an eLor for another applicant, so it could be about either or both of us. So bottom line is that I really don't know jack, lol!!! I'll let you all know if I hear anything else. Keep your heads up and I really hope I get to meet each of you soon! If I get in, I am pretty sure I will be moving out there in June... Okay, back to more waiting...

Wow, that's a true stroke of luck that you just happened to answer the phone! What did they say that tipped you off? And good luck to you Niblet... May this reference say fantastic things about you!

Hey.. I know it's really early to say this, but... We might have found a house here in Athens to live next school year and we're looking for roommates. It's a 5 br house, where there will probably be 2 rooms to give away still. Just saying. Hahaha. It's pretty close to campus and it'd be $300 + utilities if all 5 br were filled. If anybody is interested once they know they'll be going to UGA, pm me and I can tell you more when I get more information. :]

That sounds like a nice living spot, PetPony. If you're still looking for roommates when I know my plans, I may be in contact with you. It would be fantastic to live with a fellow vet student! :cool:

Last edited:
Hey the girl just identified herself and stated she was calling from the UGA Admissions Committee and then asked to speak with my reference. That is pretty much all I know though - eek!!

That sounds like a nice living spot, PetPony. If you're still looking for roommates when I know what my plans are, I might be in contact with you. It would be fantastic to live with a fellow vet student! :cool:

Not vet student yet, sadly a low pre-vet. Hahaha but if you don't mind that, then yes. Feel free to pm me once you know what your plans are.