UH Hilo College of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bows

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone applying to University of Hawaii at Hilo for Fall 2013?

Members don't see this ad.

heyyy yeah I added Hilo to my pharmcas and now im working on my supplemental. Im from cali but go to school in chicago.

Im applying! I just sent in my supplemental this week and got an email confirming they have everything! I'm just hoping for an interview :) I wonder how competitive hilo is to get into? Hio is my top choice id love to go to school there!! Does anyone know if they've had any interviews yet??

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying here as well! I sent in my supplemental last week and they confirmed my app is complete. Just waiting for an interview now...

I don't think they've had any interviews yet. They're an early decision school, so I'm assuming they'll interview that pool of applicants first since there's that Oct. 19 deadline to notify of acceptance/rejection/etc.

Did anyone hear from this school yet? My application was sent out August 1 2012. My pharmcas was completed and accepted in July. I have been finished with all pharmacy stuff since June. Anyways I sent in my supplemental right away literally almost 2 days after. And I still didn't hear anything. And I know many people from other schools are hearing lots of things.

Just give Kristy a call or shoot her an email. She is really friendly and usually get back to you on the same day.

For those who wanted an update:

The Early Decision Program Applicants to this school are interviewing on October 11 and 12--just received an interview invite yesterday.

I assume that once they make decisions on us, they'll be inviting the normal pool of applicants for interviews.

As kcwang said, definitely call Kristy if you have any questions; she's really friendly and happy to answer your questions as best as you can!

For those who wanted an update:

The Early Decision Program Applicants to this school are interviewing on October 11 and 12--just received an interview invite yesterday.

I assume that once they make decisions on us, they'll be inviting the normal pool of applicants for interviews.

As kcwang said, definitely call Kristy if you have any questions; she's really friendly and happy to answer your questions as best as you can!

Thank you, I really appreciate the update! Fortunately, I've already received four interview invites, but I'm hoping I'll receive one from Hilo, which is my top choice. Good luck with your interview!

Thank you, I really appreciate the update! Fortunately, I've already received four interview invites, but I'm hoping I'll receive one from Hilo, which is my top choice. Good luck with your interview!

Thank you! And best wishes to you on your interview invites! Hopefully you hear some good news from Hilo in the near future.

Any good news yet? This year's thread is way too quiet than last year's. =/

The other day before classes started, they were conducting interviews in the breakout rooms.

Today (Oct. 12) was the last day for the EDP interviews. Apparently, we're supposed to be notified by next Friday of our admissions status, so I'll know then!

As far as the normal cycle, some of the ambassadors mentioned that they received interview invites for the normal cycle around late October and the interviews were held in December. Hopefully that means they'll go out soon!

As far as interviews in Vegas, I think that's also sometime in December for the interviewees in the mainland. Don't quote me on that though!

Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently, traveling to hawaii is $$$$$$$$ so i guess that is the reason why they give the option to interview in hawaii or LV. They should give you this option in the interview invite letter.

Oh BTW, the NAPLEX pass rate for the class of 2011 was 94% which is a dramatic improvement over the 80% from the class of 2010. (just in case many of you are wondering)

If I have a 2.63 GPA but have retaken all the courses and did very well in them, do you think they will consider me? PCAT is in november...I also have letters of recommendations and pharmacy experience

I received an invitation for interview today and I did not apply through the Early Decision Program. Hope others hear good news soon!

I'm pretty sure all the acceptances for EDP have been sent out!

Congrats to those who were accepted from the EDP! and best wishes to everyone still waiting for interview invites!

If I have a 2.63 GPA but have retaken all the courses and did very well in them, do you think they will consider me? PCAT is in november...I also have letters of recommendations and pharmacy experience

As long as you did well in the courses you retook this will show an upward trend, which schools love to see from their prospective students. It shows maturity and a desire to do better. Make sure, however, you do really well on the PCAT next month. I recommend taking the practice tests so you get an idea of your strengths and weaknesses.

Stay Positive! Good Luck!

I received an invitation for interview today and I did not apply through the Early Decision Program. Hope others hear good news soon!

Congrats on your interview! :thumb up:

How does Hilo rank compared to the other schools you are applying to? I have applied to Hilo as well, but I have to take the distance into consideration. However, going to pharmacy school in Hawaii has its perks :D Plus, its great to learn that their NAPLEX scores have improved. I was worried about that.

Congrats on your interview! :thumb up:

How does Hilo rank compared to the other schools you are applying to? I have applied to Hilo as well, but I have to take the distance into consideration. However, going to pharmacy school in Hawaii has its perks :D Plus, its great to learn that their NAPLEX scores have improved. I was worried about that.
Thanks Nomad! Yeah, the distance and cost of living on the island does worry me. Fortunately, I was recently accepted into another program so it looks like I will cancel my interview and withdraw my application from Hilo.

Thanks Nomad! Yeah, the distance and cost of living on the island does worry me. Fortunately, I was recently accepted into another program so it looks like I will cancel my interview and withdraw my application from Hilo.

When did you submit your secondary?

I just submitted mine last week and am wondering how long it takes to get a response. TIA

When did you submit your secondary?

I just submitted mine last week and am wondering how long it takes to get a response. TIA
I submitted my supplemental application on 09/13 and got the interview invite thru email on 10/16.

I submitted my supplemental application on 09/13 and got the interview invite thru email on 10/16.

Thanks for the quick reply. So about a month to hear back for an interview. Good to know!:)

Has anyone else received an interview invite? Any news at all?

Hey for those that got interview do you mind sharing your stats?

I heard back and I have accepted an interview on the 7th of December in Las Vegas.
GPA: 3.3
PCAT: 72
Am currently earning my bachelors in bio at a private liberal arts school
100+ hours pharmacy experience
Lots of Work experience
Leadership positions on campus
Hope this helps.

I just got an interview invite as well!

STATS:
Cumulative GPA: 3.4
Science GPA: 3.5
PCAT: 33
BS. in Molecular Bio, minor in Chem & Japanese
+1 year of pharmacy volunteer experience.
5 months of pharmacy work experience.
1 year of research experience (and am expecting papers to be published)
Leadership positions at work and school

Hey I just sent in my pharmcas for Hilo on Monday (10/29), what is the wait time for the invitation for their secondary app?

Hey I just sent in my pharmcas for Hilo on Monday (10/29), what is the wait time for the invitation for their secondary app?

It took me 5 days to receive my supplemental invitation.

BTW: I scheduled my interview date in LV for Dec. 8. Saturday. at 11AM. Anyone else on that day?

I got accepted last year, here are my stats:
PCAT:76
B.S. in Chemistry and Minor in Bio
46 hours of Pharmacy Shadowing
Involved with March of Dimes and Pre-Pharmacy Society at my previous univesity

Randome fact: In our class we have 11 pairs people with the the same first name out of 88 students. kcwang know what I'm talking about

I got accepted last year, here are my stats:
PCAT:76
B.S. in Chemistry and Minor in Bio
46 hours of Pharmacy Shadowing
Involved with March of Dimes and Pre-Pharmacy Society at my previous univesity

Randome fact: In our class we have 11 pairs people with the the same first name out of 88 students. kcwang know what I'm talking about

I read over 2016's thread and saw your name on there. Late congrats on getting in, it looked like you were getting nervous for a second. Glad to see your still on SDN

GPA:3.3
PCAT: 43 :(
Associate in Science
PTCB Certified Tech
4 years pharmacy Tech

Going to Vegas in December!

grats on the interview invites. Let us know how it went.

I am on the 8th as well, at 2:30pm.

Does anyone have any idea what type of essay/questions they ask during the interview?
From my experience last year, the writing promps are simple questions like what is one thing you regret doing, what is your favorite animal etc. They give you the prompt after the interview, and you basically stand or sit outside the hotel room writing on the clip board while they interview the next person (btw, this is for LV interviews). Make sure you check in at the hotel so you know which hotel room your interview is held. Don't just blindly follow other interviewees because they might have different hotel rooms for the interview. =P

From my experience last year, the writing promps are simple questions like what is one thing you regret doing, what is your favorite animal etc. They give you the prompt after the interview, and you basically stand or sit outside the hotel room writing on the clip board while they interview the next person (btw, this is for LV interviews). Make sure you check in at the hotel so you know which hotel room your interview is held. Don't just blindly follow other interviewees because they might have different hotel rooms for the interview. =P

Any advice?

Any advice?

look over http://studentdoctor.net/schools/school/uhh-pharm for potential interview question. Try mock interview with those questions.

Be able to answer basic and general question about field of pharmacy. For example, if they ask you to describe pharmacy in a sentence, how would you do it.
Research the school well, I would look at their student hand book on their website. Look at the uniqueness of some of the courses and curriculum. For example, UH COP offers a bachelor degree in Pharmacy study. It is basically a free degree, and you just sign up for it. Since all the prerequisites are covered in pharmacy school curriculum, you dont need to take additional classes to get it. They did this for the student who didn't get a bachelor degree, which is really neat of them. Check out the dean of the school, you can basically tell that he's got a huge goal for the school, and will get the school on the top 25 list.

Dress nice and neat for the interview. Always smile. Show eagerness.. and most importantly, be yourself.

gl hf

look over http://studentdoctor.net/schools/school/uhh-pharm for potential interview question. Try mock interview with those questions.

Be able to answer basic and general question about field of pharmacy. For example, if they ask you to describe pharmacy in a sentence, how would you do it.
Research the school well, I would look at their student hand book on their website. Look at the uniqueness of some of the courses and curriculum. For example, UH COP offers a bachelor degree in Pharmacy study. It is basically a free degree, and you just sign up for it. Since all the prerequisites are covered in pharmacy school curriculum, you dont need to take additional classes to get it. They did this for the student who didn't get a bachelor degree, which is really neat of them. Check out the dean of the school, you can basically tell that he's got a huge goal for the school, and will get the school on the top 25 list.

Dress nice and neat for the interview. Always smile. Show eagerness.. and most importantly, be yourself.

gl hf

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey guys! I scheduled my interview for LV on Dec 8th! Im aware that Hilo does closed file interviews. Do you guys know if this is supposed to be a good thing or bad thing? Thanks in advance guys!

Interview on 12/7 in LV @ 9:30am!!!

I'm actually really really surprised!!!
My stats are really not so great (i'm not kidding)....

Overall GPA: 2.54 :eek:
Science GPA: 2.54
PCAT: 84 (maybe my saving grace?)
Major in Asian American Studies; Minor: Biology
Lots of volunteering
6 months pharmacy volunteer experience
6+ months of pharmacy tech work

I'm a little scared they made a mistake... :scared:

Hey, yes I have applied this year. Pharmcas just finished calculating my GPA and all. I also finished supplemental. Does anyone know, when they start interview?

Hey guys! I scheduled my interview for LV on Dec 8th! Im aware that Hilo does closed file interviews. Do you guys know if this is supposed to be a good thing or bad thing? Thanks in advance guys!
Hey my interview is on the 6th. I think closed file is better because the interviewer won't make assumptions based on your grades/pcat. Everyone is one the same playing field theoretically at least.

For the past 3 years, acceptances were sent out (for those that interviewed in december) on the 15-17 of December. just in case many were wondering.

I got accepted last year:

PCAT 69
GPA: 3.75
sci GPA: 3.97
No degree (2 years out of high school)

I LOVE that free BS degree XD

Hi,

I e-submitted my app a few days ago, how long does it take for them to get me the supplemental?

Thanks

Hi,

I e-submitted my app a few days ago, how long does it take for them to get me the supplemental?

Thanks

When your PharmCAS gets verified youll get the supplemental. By the way its been going recently, it takes about a month for your PharmCAS to get verified.