UH Hilo College of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My overall stats suck, but my recent stats show an upwards trend -- so by no means am I the shiniest apple in the bunch at a glance, but I do believe it is yummy once you take a bite and dig a little deeper.

I hope my analogy between stats and apples made sense. :)

I'm in the same boat here. My community college grades consisted of F's and C's (engineering major, and wasn't serious about school), but once I switched to biology my grades improved. My PCAT (33) is subpar also.

It might mean a strong LoR and essay may play a vital part in their choice maybe?

Members don't see this ad.

good luck guys. keep your head up and have a good break. rooting for you guys to get in.
Thanks, I really appreciate it!
My overall stats suck, but my recent stats show an upwards trend -- so by no means am I the shiniest apple in the bunch at a glance, but I do believe it is yummy once you take a bite and dig a little deeper.

I hope my analogy between stats and apples made sense. :)
Haha, your analogy made perfect sense. Thanks for sharing!
I'm in the same boat here. My community college grades consisted of F's and C's (engineering major, and wasn't serious about school), but once I switched to biology my grades improved. My PCAT (33) is subpar also.

It might mean a strong LoR and essay may play a vital part in their choice maybe?
Hmm, I guess there's always the possibility that they just reviewed in some random order, haha. By the way, am I the only one on SDN who interviewed in Hilo? Oh well, I'm just glad I already paid my deposit for my second choice school, so I don't have to stress out about this. I'll be happy to forfeit my deposit if I get accepted to Hilo, but at least I won't be devastated if I don't. Happy Holidays everyone!!

Hmm, I guess there's always the possibility that they just reviewed in some random order, haha. By the way, am I the only one on SDN who interviewed in Hilo? Oh well, I'm just glad I already paid my deposit for my second choice school, so I don't have to stress out about this. I'll be happy to forfeit my deposit if I get accepted to Hilo, but at least I won't be devastated if I don't. Happy Holidays everyone!!

Well congratulations in your other school. You definitely don't need to stress out then.

Members don't see this ad :)

When did you interview in Hilo?

I am bringing my 55 pound blue nose. A current student said you should give your dog the rabies titer done ASAP because that's what makes it take the longest. They do have to be quarantined for a few weeks as Hawai'i is rabies-free and its to make sure your pet does not bring any foreign diseases to the state.

It will be his first time flying, and he acts tough but is really a weenie. I am kinda scared for him haha.

While there, I'm looking to enroll him in some doggy day care/boarding places too -- I anticipate I'll be really busy with school so it could be a good outlet for him since he's super high-energy.

I'm looking over all my paperwork and it looks like I have another 2 years before I get another rabies shot for my dog. I'm looking at the requirements on Hawaii's website, but I can't information on the titer. Can you send me a link?

I'm looking over all my paperwork and it looks like I have another 2 years before I get another rabies shot for my dog. I'm looking at the requirements on Hawaii's website, but I can't information on the titer. Can you send me a link?

i believe i list a link in last year's forum.

Just copy and paste a reply email for one student last year..

"It is a pain in the @#$ to get a pet to Hawaii. There are pet relocation services that take care of everything for you, but if you want to save couple hundreds of dollars, read on.
Here are some links that should help you
Newbie’s guide (read this first, if you have no idea how this process works)
http://www.howtoliveinhawaii.com/2814/bringing-pets-to-hawaii-step-2-vaccinations/
Print this out, you need to follow everything on this checklist, bring it to your vet
http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/ai/aqs/aqs-checklist-5DOL.pdf
Hawaii gov’s animal quarantine summary and forms
http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/ai/aqs/info
To be eligible for Five-day-or-less quarantine program, it takes at least four months to qualify an adult pet that has had at least one rabies vaccination. It takes at least 10 months to qualify a newborn puppy or kitten for this program.
You need to get your dog a microchip if your dog doesn’t have one, which is required before the rabbies blood test is done.
Next get Rabies vaccination. (you need at least two)
Make sure you had the rabies vaccination certificate with “ink” not “printed” vet signature, or it won’t count. You get the certificate when the vet gives your dog a rabies vaccine. Also make sure the certificate has the sticker from the vaccine bottle. One vaccine shot is one bottle, and there is usually a sticker with lot number you can peel off from the bottle. Get the sticker.
After you had two rabies vaccinations, you need to get the rabies blood test done. Your vet will draw blood sample from your dog, and either your vet or you will have to send it to Kansas within 24 hrs for blood test. (blood test cost about $80 for Kansas). * Make sure you pack blood sample with cold pack.
Then you should get the result within 2 weeks. If your dog pass the test, he/she needs to wait at least 3 months before entering Hawaii.
2 weeks before you fly, you need to visit your vet. Have your vet apply anti flea, tick medication on your dog, and get a health certificate from your vet, make sure microchip works
Then get all the documents ready which is listed on the second link I gave you, send it to Hawaii. No fax or photocopies.
If you are flying your dog to Honolulu International Airport, keep in mind that the hours of inspection are from 8 am to 5 pm especially important for direct release. If you don’t want to drive 2 hrs to Kona, you can fly to Honolulu for direct release, and then fly to Hilo.
I already submitted the blood test 2 months ago and my cat passed the test. If I discover more information, I will let you know. I would pick a vet who knows what he/she is doing. You should call animal hospital or clinic and ask if they actually prepare pet for relocation (specifically to Hawaii). If they reply no, ask them to recommend you one."

Saw someone asked about research opportunity in earlier page. Basically like any college, research opportunity is there if you talk to professors about it. Show your eagerness and commitment, you should be able to get research experience. Right now, I am helping a professor out in her study of rat lung worm, and I started shadowing for her after the first week of class.

Try looking up the faculties on the cop website, and choose the research you are interested. Send couple emails to professors about research opportunies, they will be glad to answer any question you have.

For those of you who have been accepted or are already attending Hilo, do you guys already have insurance? Or are you guys looking into the insurance plans the school offers? I looked at the pricing for 1 semester through the school and it's about 1k.

I called Blue Cross Anthem and received a quote for $84 a month (about 500 a semester).

Am I overlooking things or should I not sign up through the school insurance?

I currently have insurance through Target for pretty cheap; however, to keep the insurance I will have to work at least ~20hr/week which I don't think I will be doing, especially my first and second year.

So, in short, unless you get benefits with a company then I think any outside source of insurance is going to be in the same ballpark. I was wondering this myself too, and was planning on asking some current students what their take is.

What are you going to do for housing? I think I am going to go about a month earlier to find a place and then again to settle in once orientation comes around.

A couple other concerns I have are loans, transit, and the other basic necessities that come with living in Hawaii ( where to hike or where the best places to swim are :laugh: )

I currently have insurance through Target for pretty cheap; however, to keep the insurance I will have to work at least ~20hr/week which I don't think I will be doing, especially my first and second year.

So, in short, unless you get benefits with a company then I think any outside source of insurance is going to be in the same ballpark. I was wondering this myself too, and was planning on asking some current students what their take is.

What are you going to do for housing? I think I am going to go about a month earlier to find a place and then again to settle in once orientation comes around.

A couple other concerns I have are loans, transit, and the other basic necessities that come with living in Hawaii ( where to hike or where the best places to swim are :laugh: )

You and me both!

As for the insurance, I've been reading up, and I think i'm going to find an HMO to lower the cost. I'm hoping to find one for about $60 a month.

As for housing: I heard that later on Kristy and Cara open up a Facebook page for us to add ourselves into, I'm hoping to find folks with the same interests, and group up to find a home. I believe current students can help us out with that as well when we are added onto the FB page.

For loans, I'm planning to take the full amount (58K?) of loan once FAFSA 2013 is completed. This'll cover tuition, rent, insurance, and hopefully food.

Transportation: I'm going to buy a used car over there, seeing how it costs around $2k to bring my car there.

You and me both!

As for the insurance, I've been reading up, and I think i'm going to find an HMO to lower the cost. I'm hoping to find one for about $60 a month.

As for housing: I heard that later on Kristy and Cara open up a Facebook page for us to add ourselves into, I'm hoping to find folks with the same interests, and group up to find a home. I believe current students can help us out with that as well when we are added onto the FB page.

For loans, I'm planning to take the full amount (58K?) of loan once FAFSA 2013 is completed. This'll cover tuition, rent, insurance, and hopefully food.

Transportation: I'm going to buy a used car over there, seeing how it costs around $2k to bring my car there.

Insurance: I'm not stressing too much here -- Whatever I get, I think it'll be relatively the same. Hopefully more research tells me otherwise that is financially favorable.

Housing: That's awesome. Hilo is relatively small, so I don't think it'll take that long to narrow down our search. My brother and sister were already looking, they said it ranges ~$700/month for village-looking-type apartments. I don't mind that, I can live pretty modestly. I'm mainly looking for a place that allows pets, since I'm bringing my buddy with me for sure (the rabies vaccination procedure is giving me a headache!)

Loans: I haven't done a FAFSA in forever, so I will have to do more research on that. Do you just apply and pray you get a big grant?

Transit: I am thinking about doing the same. I am leaning towards selling my car over here, which should go for 10-13k, and it would do me good for 4 years in Hawai'i.

If I find out anything worthy I'll be sure to let you know. :D

Insurance: I'm not stressing too much here -- Whatever I get, I think it'll be relatively the same. Hopefully more research tells me otherwise that is financially favorable.

Housing: That's awesome. Hilo is relatively small, so I don't think it'll take that long to narrow down our search. My brother and sister were already looking, they said it ranges ~$700/month for village-looking-type apartments. I don't mind that, I can live pretty modestly. I'm mainly looking for a place that allows pets, since I'm bringing my buddy with me for sure (the rabies vaccination procedure is giving me a headache!)

Loans: I haven't done a FAFSA in forever, so I will have to do more research on that. Do you just apply and pray you get a big grant?

Transit: I am thinking about doing the same. I am leaning towards selling my car over here, which should go for 10-13k, and it would do me good for 4 years in Hawai'i.

If I find out anything worthy I'll be sure to let you know. :D

I've been looking around CG and see a lot of "no pets allowed" for the homes. This may be a tougher task than I thought. Are you planning on living on your own? for $700 that's not that bad if it's close to campus.

FAFSA will definitely depend on your income for this year. I make very little to begin with so it shouldn't be a problem and I'm +24 which means I don't need to include my parents income taxes.

If you find a place that allows pets, let me know! I'll do the same!

Haha intekmdma,
didnt know you like SAO. As for the insurance, most people get Kaiser, which is about $60 a month.

If you are looking for apartments that allows pet, check out Waiakea Lagoon View Apartments. I was looking into it when I was planning to bring my cats over.
http://www.wlvapartments.com/

I would say if you plan to get house with other students, it would cost around $400~$550 a month for single room. For studios, it is around $600 to $700. Btw, electricity here is expensive (compare to where I came from), 4 people in a house average around $300~ $400 a month. If you need someone here on Hilo to check out any apartment, feel free to pm me. If I am here, then I will try to take pictures for you guys.

For financial aid, almost all of the "out of state students" receive the maximum 57k a year. Tuition for out of state is about 37k. I only took out 46k, and I barely have enough after rent and tuition. I think I will take out more next year..

For transit, you should look into getting a used car if you are not shipping your car here. It rains about 90% of the time, so you definitely need a car. Some people get moped, which averages around 1.5k here.

Ps. Once you guys get accepted, be sure to ask Kristy to join the UHH facebook group including the class of 2017 facebook group. Most P2 and P3 will start looking for apartment- mates around August and July.

Members don't see this ad :)
You and me both!

Check your acceptance email with the link to the matriculation documents. Towards the bottom, number 7 shows you the link to request to be added to the Class of 2017 FB group :)

I'm not sure how I was added to the general CoP group.. I think Kristy added me herself when I requested to join the 2017 group.

Haha intekmdma,
didnt know you like SAO. As for the insurance, most people get Kaiser, which is about $60 a month.

If you are looking for apartments that allows pet, check out Waiakea Lagoon View Apartments. I was looking into it when I was planning to bring my cats over.

I would say if you plan to get house with other students, it would cost around $400~$550 a month for single room. For studios, it is around $600 to $700. Btw, electricity here is expensive (compare to where I came from), 4 people in a house average around $300~ $400 a month. If you need someone here on Hilo to check out any apartment, feel free to pm me. If I am here, then I will try to take pictures for you guys.

For financial aid, almost all of the "out of state students" receive the maximum 57k a year. Tuition for out of state is about 37k. I only took out 46k, and I barely have enough after rent and tuition. I think I will take out more next year..

For transit, you should look into getting a used car if you are not shipping your car here. It rains about 90% of the time, so you definitely need a car. Some people get moped, which averages around 1.5k here.

Ps. Once you guys get accepted, be sure to ask Kristy to join the UHH facebook group including the class of 2017 facebook group. Most P2 and P3 will start looking for apartment- mates around August and July.

Are you serious ....300-400for electricity? I live in house 2700sq ft and in summers we leave ac on like 12 hours a day and electricity is like 150 or so..for family of 4 and we have two tvs and one computer that we never turn off and 3 laptops.. SoCal

Sent from my SGH-T989 using SDN Mobile

I've been looking around CG and see a lot of "no pets allowed" for the homes. This may be a tougher task than I thought. Are you planning on living on your own? for $700 that's not that bad if it's close to campus.

FAFSA will definitely depend on your income for this year. I make very little to begin with so it shouldn't be a problem and I'm +24 which means I don't need to include my parents income taxes.

If you find a place that allows pets, let me know! I'll do the same!

Because of my dog, I am 80% sure I will be living on my own.

It looks like the links on the accepted page for UH is currently down so I will have to do all the FAFSA stuff afterwards. I think I have to wait until my matriculation documents are officially received anyway when they're back from break in Jan.

Thanks for the info kcwang!

Haha intekmdma,

Haha yeah, big anime/Japan junkie here (minored in Japanese/studied abroad). Thanks for the info about kaiser, that looks about the price range I want. I am assuming i'll get that insurance before I start.

Thanks again for the big help! I'll be flying to Hawaii on Saturday so I may stop by Hilo to check out the area.

I'll definitely take your offer if your not busy to look at the places for me before I move everything over.

Check your acceptance email with the link to the matriculation documents. Towards the bottom, number 7 shows you the link to request to be added to the Class of 2017 FB group :)

I'm not sure how I was added to the general CoP group.. I think Kristy added me herself when I requested to join the 2017 group.

Thanks I just requested to join the group.

Are you serious ....300-400for electricity? I live in house 2700sq ft and in summers we leave ac on like 12 hours a day and electricity is like 150 or so..for family of 4 and we have two tvs and one computer that we never turn off and 3 laptops.. SoCal

That is pretty pricey. Wow. My family's bill is at most 300 and that with everything in the house on.

Haha yeah, big anime/Japan junkie here (minored in Japanese/studied abroad). Thanks for the info about kaiser, that looks about the price range I want. I am assuming i'll get that insurance before I start.

Thanks again for the big help! I'll be flying to Hawaii on Saturday so I may stop by Hilo to check out the area.

I'll definitely take your offer if your not busy to look at the places for me before I move everything over.

Japanese studied abroad? I wished I had done that during undergrad (probably one thing I regret the most) I also minored in Japanese history and culture.

If you're in the area, I can show you around. (same with anyone else visiting)

Because of my dog, I am 80% sure I will be living on my own.

It looks like the links on the accepted page for UH is currently down so I will have to do all the FAFSA stuff afterwards. I think I have to wait until my matriculation documents are officially received anyway when they're back from break in Jan.

Thanks for the info kcwang!

no problem! I'm sure you will find people to share house with. I think its ideal to find fellow pharmacy students to live together. Try asking on UHH facebook group, there are many students with pets living here.

its back up, give it a try: http://pharmacy.uhh.hawaii.edu/currentstudents/firstyear.php

Yup, back when I lived in San Diego, it averages around $60 for two people. You will see that everything in Hilo (except apartment) are expensive. Food here cost 2x compared to mainland. If you are eating out expect to pay average of $8 to $10 per meal.

Yup, back when I lived in San Diego, it averages around $60 for two people. You will see that everything in Hilo (except apartment) are expensive. Food here cost 2x compared to mainland. If you are eating out expect to pay average of $8 to $10 per meal.

Is that 8-10 dollars for fast/junk food or for a sit down?

Nice I'm from SD too, how much do you miss carneasada fries? :D

Anywho, thanks again for the big help. I am looking to go to Hilo before the orientation so I can get myself situated and prepped without any major bumps.

I saw that on the housing reference site that renting houses are also an option. I might want to do that!

How far in advance would you recommend I go out there? Orientation is mid Aug, so I was thinking I would go late June or early July to scope out the place and talk to some apartment/housing managers to set myself up.

Nice I'm from SD too, how much do you miss carneasada fries? :D

Anywho, thanks again for the big help. I am looking to go to Hilo before the orientation so I can get myself situated and prepped without any major bumps.

I saw that on the housing reference site that renting houses are also an option. I might want to do that!

How far in advance would you recommend I go out there? Orientation is mid Aug, so I was thinking I would go late June or early July to scope out the place and talk to some apartment/housing managers to set myself up.

Hey aqb,
You bet i miss carneasada fries (super sergios on convoy st =P). I guess good thing about hilo is that there are less distractions.

As for your question, I was pm by one of the sdn to get a house together, so I arrived here two days before the orientation. I have seen some people moved here in July. Most likely a lot of students will be posting on facebook group looking for roomates or apt/house together. Cara will also be posting a lot of housing options on facebook for you guys to look into. I think July is a good time to start looking for house.

Check out this link if you havent: http://hilo.hawaii.edu/housing/offcampus/index.php

Again, if you need someone to check out a place here, I can always help out (if i'm here)

For those that are still waiting to get in, there is still hope and here's why:

I remembered that just days before our orientation on August 20, 2012, one of the former acceptee got an acceptance letter from Midwestern Chicago, just one day before her flight to Hawaii. Since Hawaii was her 2nd choice and Chicago was her 1st (seriously don't know why:eyebrow:), she dropped out just to go to Midwestern. In order to fill her seat, Kristy Nakamura had called a friend of mine(who was waitlisted since January) for a phone interview. So they next day after her phone interview, she was accepted and was offered a spot. However, it's going to be stressful to submit all the paperwork within a short amount of time but UH Hilo is very understanding and flexible, they'll give you an extension to submit the paperwork.

ALSO, if you didn't get into any pharmacy school by August. Make sure you call the office frequently so that they KNOW you are interested. There's likely a chance that someone would drop out so the faculties quickly need someone to fill in the seat. If they see you are dedicated and committed, then they might just offer you a spot. :xf:

ALSO, if you didn't get into any pharmacy school by August. Make sure you call the office frequently so that they KNOW you are interested. There's likely a chance that someone would drop out so the faculties quickly need someone to fill in the seat. If they see you are dedicated and committed, then they might just offer you a spot. :xf:

:thumbup::thumbup:

Hey guys, so I just got an email from Hilo and unfortunately they put me on the alternate list. :( How do the admissions committee select from the alternate list? There's apparently no particular order for the alternate list. Will there be a chance for me to get in???

Just forfeited my spot. Hopefully that opens a spot for someone else. Good luck everyone!

Hey guys, so I just got an email from Hilo and unfortunately they put me on the alternate list. :( How do the admissions committee select from the alternate list? There's apparently no particular order for the alternate list. Will there be a chance for me to get in???

There will be definitely chances for you. Many applicants might choose to go somewhere else, and bunch of spots will be open up. Keep in mind they accept about 50% out of state and 50% residents. gl

There will be definitely chances for you. Many applicants might choose to go somewhere else, and bunch of spots will be open up. Keep in mind they accept about 50% out of state and 50% residents. gl

so if there are spots open, they will take people off the list by the end of round 2 interviews right? like in march maybe?

so if there are spots open, they will take people off the list by the end of round 2 interviews right? like in march maybe?

I do not know the exact time, but you should refer back to last year's thread. Should be pretty similar. A lot of people were on alternative list last year, and most of them got in.

Dont be discouraged. Take oaksen's advise and keep updating the school with your EC, prerequisite etc. They really do pay attention to people who show interests

I just forfeited my spot for another school too. Good luck!

I just received an acceptance e-mail from Kristy... 35 days after my interview, hahaa!

For those of you in Hilo, how fast is your cell phone internet? I went to Kauai and only had 2g. In Honolulu, it's 4g but shaky. I'm using T-Mobile.

Just FYI, Health Clearance documents are up!

For those that are still waiting to get in, there is still hope and here's why:

I remembered that just days before our orientation on August 20, 2012, one of the former acceptee got an acceptance letter from Midwestern Chicago, just one day before her flight to Hawaii. Since Hawaii was her 2nd choice and Chicago was her 1st (seriously don't know why:eyebrow:), she dropped out just to go to Midwestern. In order to fill her seat, Kristy Nakamura had called a friend of mine(who was waitlisted since January) for a phone interview. So they next day after her phone interview, she was accepted and was offered a spot. However, it's going to be stressful to submit all the paperwork within a short amount of time but UH Hilo is very understanding and flexible, they'll give you an extension to submit the paperwork.

When did you initially submit your pharmcas/supp to the school?

Any current students have more information on PharmD/FNP dual degree? I read that it started in 2010, but other than that I could not find any other info on the additional duration of schooling, how to get started, +classes, +tuition.

I just got an invite buy i haven't scheduled yet

I just got an invite buy i haven't scheduled yet

congrats on the invite! now just nail the interview! are you planning to interview in vegas or hilo?

congrats on the invite! now just nail the interview! are you planning to interview in vegas or hilo?

Most likely Vegas. Haven't set a date yet

Any current students have more information on PharmD/FNP dual degree? I read that it started in 2010, but other than that I could not find any other info on the additional duration of schooling, how to get started, +classes, +tuition.

I am not sure about this one. I think I only heard of one student who "might" be doing it. I think you need to have the NP degree first. You should send them an email to ask about it.

intekmdma, I dont have a smart phone (using a 20 bucks pre paid phone), but my roommate who has an iphone with AT&T gets pretty stable 4G connection. He does get shaky connection during bad weather tho (he said there is no LTE 4G on hilo..) As for T mobile, I have been hearing bad things about it, but it's pretty cheap [$30 unlimited internet plan]

Abq - I asked during my interview about the dual program. It's actually geared towards nurse practitioners who want a dual degree in pharmacy. So it's not for us! I was told that they are in the works of a dual PharmD/PhD program but it wont be anytime soon.

Thanks Kcwang - I have the $30 plan and usually use the HSPA+ speeds to do free VOIP calling.

I did do some research and found that t-mobile owns a tower in Hilo, and looked at real coverage set by other users on their phones.

It's funny because on paper: T-mobile (HSPA+ 42Mbps, their version of "4g") > AT&T (HSPA 21Mbps, 3g), basically comparing their "3g's" And it looks like AT&T piggybacks off t-mobile tower in Hilo, which means they have second dibs on connecting to towers (traffic)

But on real user statistics AT&T has way better signal and download speeds

edit: fyi for anyone else interested - you can go to opensignal.com or sensorly.com to check user input

I will be withdrawing my admission for the class of 2017. I got accepted to University of the Pacific (my first choice). Hawaii was a dream I'll prob. always think of but realistically doesn't make financial sense for me. A seat just opened up, so DON'T give up! Good luck to all of u! :)