UHS-COM or CCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danny

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm torn between UHS-COM and CCOM. Any advice or perhaps info for me to think about would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Danny
PS-Does anyone know how these schools generally fare on the boards?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, actually I am looking for info on CCOM, have you interviewed there? If so, I have an upcoming interview and am trying to find out what to expect.

Congrats on your upcoming interview. I was actually accepted at CCOM. You are generally interviewed by a panel of any combo of a DO,MD,PhD,student. I had a DO and an MD. The interviewers give their input to the admissions committee and decisions are made from there. They got back to me within a month if not less. It's your standard interview with a tour and lunch. The area is beautiful and about 20 or so minutes from Chicago. Many of us were asked a whole gambit of questions with a few generalities. A popular question was how you would handle stress,which is inevitable in med school. Also, they wanted to know where CCOM is on your "list" of schools and why. A few of us were asked a combo question of "How you became interested in osteopathic medicine, why do you want to be a physician and why would you choose CCOM?" The most interesting question was "If you were the interviewer, what ONE aspect would you be sure to find out about me during this interview?" Of course there was also the fabled "Tell me about yourself" question! I hope that helped. One more thing, it's good to know that CCOM maintains two Osteopathic Hospitals(Olympia Fields and one in Hyde Park) and I believe CCOM by far has the largest faculty. Best of luck to you!

I love it when they have an M.D. on the panel! It reminds me of an incident that happened at one of my previous interviews. At that interview, I was interviewed by a D.O., M.D. and Ph.D. I didn't know the M.D. was an M.D., but it doesn't really matter as I have nothing against M.D.s. But when we later found this out, one of the other interviewees went "Oh shoot!" When we inquired what was wrong he said, "I told them 'Who would want to be a M.D. anyways? D.O.s are so much better!'" Oooops.

Gregory Gulick
http://www.osteopathic.com/gregory