UIC or U of W-Madison?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dciarl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am deciding whether to go to UIC or Madison CCP; can anybody explain the major differences between the two? Please, even if you are very biased toward one school I would like to hear why I should chose one over the other; maybe there is something I am not aware of yet.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on your preference. Location wise, Chicago can definitely give you advantages in terms of opportunities (internships, rotations etc) but it is recently named the most dangerous city in America. <Reference:http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ago-passes-new-york-as-murder-capital-of-u-s/> (and even besides this data, many parts of chicago is dangerous not only to mention one of the highest living costs in America.) Madison is a great city and I definitely love the atmosphere there but definitely way smaller than Chicago.) School wise, I believe Wisconsin-Madison is generally a better school. (better university hospital and medical school). I don't know the difference much between the two in terms of pharmD program, so I don't think I can help you with that. Hope this helps...somewhat l0l

I think it depends on your preference. Location wise, Chicago can definitely give you advantages in terms of opportunities (internships, rotations etc) but it is recently named the most dangerous city in America. <Reference:http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ago-passes-new-york-as-murder-capital-of-u-s/> (and even besides this data, many parts of chicago is dangerous not only to mention one of the highest living costs in America.) Madison is a great city and I definitely love the atmosphere there but definitely way smaller than Chicago.) School wise, I believe Wisconsin-Madison is generally a better school. (better university hospital and medical school). I don't know the difference much between the two in terms of pharmD program, so I don't think I can help you with that. Hope this helps...somewhat l0l

Members don't see this ad :)
UIC for sure! I am from Chicago and the opportunities there are endless. It's a beautiful city, and UIC is on the west side of town... Which is the nicer part. You will love it.

From my experience as a Chicagoan born and raised, Chicago will only be dangerous if you are looking for "trouble". West side of town can be dangerous on nice summer nights, but if you avoid going to Taco Bell at midnight, you will be fine.

I think there are both goods and bads in both schools, but I can provide you with some of my thoughts:

As an undergraduate from UW-Madison, it is a beautiful city and great atmosphere. The school is very well funded and the academic opportunities are endless. You would have access to new facilities (they have been building a lot of new projects recently, including a new research facility and nursing school, just shows you how strongly funded this school is) The placement and intern opportunity is very prolific, and the faculty are very helpful.

At UIC, the although the building are not as new and the facilities may not be as top-notch, but I think the positive side is its location. Being close to the most urban city in US, you would get a lot of great intern experience and a very wide spectrum of clinical experience. As I have many family members in the healthcare field, I do strongly urge the needs of good doctors/nurses in these urban area. I would say it will give you an edge when you enter the field. Nevertheless, both are tremendous schools and both have very cold winters!

Cheers