UIC vs. Rosalind Franklin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mosdef

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am frantically trying to decide whether I should attend either UIC or Rosaslind Franklin next year. I'm really not sure which school is better. However, I hear the UIC has a far greater clinical curriculum than Rosalind Franklin, which does not even expose students to any clinical work during thier first year. I hope someone can help me make this decision ASAP, since the deadline has already passed, and the schools need to know immediately

Members don't see this ad.

Uh...Rosalind Franklin almost lost their accreditation at one point or something. I'd go with UIC.

Unless you want to risk having your school lose its accredidation while you're in year 3 I would go with UIC

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, first of all, Rosalind Franklin has almost no chance of losing accredidation. When they were put on probabation, a lot of the causes had to do with financial reasons. There's a big inside story on that one I suppose, but what it comes down to was that they were too dependent on student tuition for financing. There were concerns about their relationships with 3rd and 4th year hospitals, which has been fixed with a partnership with Advocate health care. On top of that yes there were a few things that the LCME pointed about the curriculum, but the new head honchos, who have been from what I understand completely turned over, has gone above and beyond the requirements of what needed to be fixed. They did such a good job, as it turns out, that when the LCME came back one year into the TWO-YEAR probation, they were impressed enough that they revoked the probation and gave the school a full reinstatement, which is a very rare occurance as far as these things go. So be wary before you start knocking RFU on the probation as it may have just been the shake-up the school needed. I'm not gonna sit here and tell you its the best med school around, but it's not deserving of the reputation it gets on this board.

That being said I found myself in a similar situation this year, and I will admit that I chose UIC over RFU. The tuition increase is hard to justify, and both schools seem to be schools where you can fall through the cracks and be one of the students who only shows up for tests... It also is contingent on which UIC campus you are at. Chicago or UPR? The clinical experiences are vastly different (but good either way!) at the satellite campuses for UIC. If you are hardcore chicagoan all the way, and you're in the UPR track, you may be inclined to choose Rosalind Franklin. Sure the basic science is taught 45 minutes north of Chicago, but your rotations will be in major hospitals in Chicago, and this is what matters to a lot of people. RFU also puts together a very very nice match list, and compared to city life its a lot quieter and calm for the basic science years, which for many people would be ideal. Be also aware that Rosalind Franklin's tuition is currently frozen, and isn't even eligible to be increased until after the class of 2009 graduates I believe, whereas UIC's seems to increase substantially every year, and there's a summer semester to pay for at UIC years 2 and 3 so dollar wise its not necessarily a great save to be going to UIC (but it was enough for me =P)...Assuming you are in-state at UIC. Out of state was 50k+ last I checked, which, imho, is simply too much to pay. I think financial aid estimates this year after housing etc are coming in around 70k/year!!

If you want any more detailed advice, PM me. I can elaborate on intricacies.

i chose uic as well.

see my response in the allo thread.

I can't believe this is even being asked. There is no contest. UIC is the much more prestigious school and it's probably significantly cheaper. Dude, pick UIC.

mosdef said:
Hey guys,

I am frantically trying to decide whether I should attend either UIC or Rosaslind Franklin next year. I'm really not sure which school is better. However, I hear the UIC has a far greater clinical curriculum than Rosalind Franklin, which does not even expose students to any clinical work during thier first year. I hope someone can help me make this decision ASAP, since the deadline has already passed, and the schools need to know immediately

Def UIC

most people in chicago who aren't pre-meds haven't even heard of RFU. UIC is a far superior school, and much more prestigious. Even the UPR track would be preferable.