UK 2014 applicants!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hope so!! Are you definitely going to RVC? Or are you staying in the states? If you don't mind me asking

Not sure who you were asking so I'll answer too :)

I'm entirely unsure....

Right now I have knocked Glasgow and SGU off my list, but I'm currently between RVC and Illinois. Illinois tuition is higher (I'm OOS) but living expenses are waaaaay cheaper....and its easier to live in Illinois with dogs than in London...... I'm still waiting to hear from Edinburgh and Ohio State (my IS)....If I get into OSU I'll go there, because $. That being said, Edinburgh would give Illinois a really decent run for its money if I get accepted there..... but first they need to EMAIL ME AND TELL ME (I think I'm about to reach my breaking point of crazy now.... why can't it be the weekend....so I have an excuse to go drink ;) )

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Not sure who you were asking so I'll answer too :)

I'm entirely unsure....

Right now I have knocked Glasgow and SGU off my list, but I'm currently between RVC and Illinois. Illinois tuition is higher (I'm OOS) but living expenses are waaaaay cheaper....and its easier to live in Illinois with dogs than in London...... I'm still waiting to hear from Edinburgh and Ohio State (my IS)....If I get into OSU I'll go there, because $. That being said, Edinburgh would give Illinois a really decent run for its money if I get accepted there..... but first they need to EMAIL ME AND TELL ME (I think I'm about to reach my breaking point of crazy now.... why can't it be the weekend....so I have an excuse to go drink ;) )
Hopefully we both hear by this weekend! :) i didn't know Edinburg would cost less than Illinois though

Reactions: 1 user
not by much haha, its like a $5,000 difference a year in tuition or something.... I'm working on trying to get an accurate COL estimate

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted to Edinburgh (GEP program)! I got an email this morning!!!

I got accepted to Edibnurgh as well!

grats edinburgh people! ^_^ RDSVS is awesome (~o_o)~ as is the city!
feel free to PM with any q's about edinburgh, will do my best to answer them!

Has anyone else heard from Royal? I'm debating calling but I don't want to annoy them!

Has anyone else heard from Royal? I'm debating calling but I don't want to annoy them!

I haven't heard back and honestly now I can think of a few things that went wrong at my interview, haha.

I haven't heard back and honestly now I can think of a few things that went wrong at my interview, haha.
I dont feel confident about my Royal interview haha! I don't want to be too pessimistic but maybe they are preparing rejection letters...

I dont feel confident about my Royal interview haha! I don't want to be too pessimistic but maybe they are preparing rejection letters...
Have hope :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I felt more confident with Royal's interview than I did with other schools and I ended up getting in so I honestly don't know what to think haha. I'm just so anxious and I'm not sure if it'd be a bad idea to call!

I haven't heard back from Edinburgh yet... should I be expecting a rejection letter now??

I got my acceptance from Edinburgh this morning!

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted & going to RVC!!!! Got the email this morning!

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to all, but especially the future Dick Vets!

See some of you in the fall!

I haven't heard back from Edinburgh yet... should I be expecting a rejection letter now??

same, bad news? when did everyone interview? are they sending out acceptances based on the date you interviewed? because I had a late interview for edinburgh

Got my acceptance from RVC last night for the 4 year program and definitely going to go there! So relieved!

It isn't over till it's over guys :) don't give up hope :) who knows how the rabbit hole that is vet school application works!!

RVC accepted! But because of some classes they accepted me for five year program. I don't think I can do that financially :(

Got accepted to rvc! Don't know what to do because it looks like rvc will be cheaper than me going to the state school I got accepted to... The thought of being able to travel also woos me. Does anyone know the navle pass rate for royal??

Can't wait for Glasgow x_x

Got accepted to rvc! Don't know what to do because it looks like rvc will be cheaper than me going to the state school I got accepted to... The thought of being able to travel also woos me. Does anyone know the navle pass rate for royal??

Mid-90s for the pass rate I think. Forget where I read that, but it is on the interwebs somewhere.

Does anyone know the navle pass rate for royal??

I'm not sure about past years but most people who took it this previous fall passed. I'd say around 20-30 people took it (mix of Brits and Americans) and I think only a couple failed. Also, RVC gives you a 6mo contract with vetprep for studying. Its all I used, as did my friends, and we all passed.

I got accepted into Edinburgh as well!!!! I found out later though because I guess there was an error when they sent out my invitation, so if you haven't heard from them I'd give them a quick e-mail :)

Is anyone else trying to decide between Edinburgh and US schools? My interest is in wildlife medicine so I'm trying to choose a program that will suit me best, but it is tearing my heart apart. If any current or future students have pros/cons for Edi in this area I'd love to hear them!

Is anyone else trying to decide between Edinburgh and US schools? My interest is in wildlife medicine so I'm trying to choose a program that will suit me best, but it is tearing my heart apart. If any current or future students have pros/cons for Edi in this area I'd love to hear them!

The zoo vet who works with the students at Edinburgh is amazeballs.

Got accepted to RVC and my IS (Ohio state) .... Trying to decide which one to go to! Anybody else in the same boat?
IS is slightly cheaper and close to home but I loved the sound of RVC's program and ....it'd be the one chance in my life to go do this. How do you decide?????

You will never regret living abroad but You'll always be thinking about how you didn't take the chance and went to your state school!

how are people finding housing? should I head to Edinbugh during the summer to find housing?

how are people finding housing? should I head to Edinbugh during the summer to find housing?

Maybe try contacting current students to see if anyone's looking for a roommate? There must be a facebook group or something.

It might be difficult to try to come in the summer to find housing because you'll probably be trying to sort out your visa. There's a chance that an immigration officer might not let you into the country if your purpose is to find housing and you don't have a visa to live in the country yet. You might not have any trouble getting into the country, but it is a possibility.

Also, the government is trying to crack down on landlords renting to people who don't have permission to live in the UK. It could be tricking to sign a lease if you don't have a visa yet.

I looked at flats when I visited the school last april, and luckily managed to find something. I looked early as I needed to find a dog-friendly flat. (edited to add: i'm a dual citizen, so i have no idea if visa issues would cause problems looking for housing in advance). If that hadn't worked out, I was planning on doing a mad hunt when I moved over. I think some people moved over and spent some time in a hotel while looking for a flat. If you're not picky you may be able to find something quickly, though if you move over in August you'll be running into the Festival, which might make flat hunting difficult.
I think a few people found flatmates via the offer holders facebook page over the summer. You can also do school housing if that's something you're interested in, iirc it's guaranteed first year. You can do catered housing where you get school meals, or self catered where you'll have a kitchen so you can make your own stuff. UoE also has flats as well as the dorms, I think mostly geared at postgrads and things but I think still an option. If you look around the uni page should be able to find more info on accommodation.
rightmove.co.uk and zoopla are good sites to look at for flats, you can also try gumtree (similar to craigslist) to look for flats.

If anyone knows any Glasgow upperclassmen looking for roommates in September please let me know :) I'll be super grateful for the tip!

UoE also has flats as well as the dorms, I think mostly geared at postgrads and things but I think still an option. If you look around the uni page should be able to find more info on accommodation.
rightmove.co.uk and zoopla are good sites to look at for flats, you can also try gumtree (similar to craigslist) to look for flats.

I have a private flat through UofE and it's outstanding! They are a great landlord and fix everything promptly. Downside was that it was not available till September but GEP year starts in August. I moved out in mid July and subleased a room until my flat was ready.

I've got two questions about RVC I was hoping current or former students could answer.

1) What is the schedule like during the graduate accelerated year? Should I expect to be in lecture/labs/etc pretty much 9-5 Mon-Fri (except Wednesday afternoons)?

2) Is there a white coat ceremony like in US schools?

If anyone knows any Glasgow upperclassmen looking for roommates in September please let me know :) I'll be super grateful for the tip!

They should be sending out emails over the summer from upperclassmen (if they haven't started already) looking for new flatmates.

They should be sending out emails over the summer from upperclassmen (if they haven't started already) looking for new flatmates.
Yeah I've actually been talking to a few people since I posted this :p

Yeah I've actually been talking to a few people since I posted this :p

Awesome. :) It's good to get started early and, in my opinion, go with flatmates first year. Trying to get flat viewings is a nightmare itself - near impossible if you're not in the country.

Reactions: 1 users
Awesome. :) It's good to get started early and, in my opinion, go with flatmates first year. Trying to get flat viewings is a nightmare itself - near impossible if you're not in the country.

Haha, yeah that was my thinking too! Plus I'd love someone who already knows their way around :p any other helpful hints ? Are the buses reliable there or should I definitely move walking distance?

Haha, yeah that was my thinking too! Plus I'd love someone who already knows their way around :p any other helpful hints ? Are the buses reliable there or should I definitely move walking distance?

It all depends on what you want out of where you live. If you want more affordable rent, relative ease of getting to the vet school, and to be highly involved in vet school activities, Anniesland might be the way to go. If you want to be more social (go to the pubs, get involved with main uni events, be where all the action is other than the vet school...), the West End (Hillhead) might be the place to go. It's fairly easy to get to the vet school from the West End via the bus using First 6B (in the morning) or 6A, 6/City bus 15 at other times. Tends to cost about 80 pounds a month. Other students live in Partick, Woodlands, Hyndland and Kelvinside. All depends on what you want. I personally chose Anniesland because it fits my lifestyle and I can easily get to the West End or city centre by the bus or train during the weekend. Plus I want to stay in the same place through rotations and don't want to have to worry about getting home late at night. Additionally, I like to get all the sleep I can in the morning. :p

I've got two questions about RVC I was hoping current or former students could answer.

1) What is the schedule like during the graduate accelerated year? Should I expect to be in lecture/labs/etc pretty much 9-5 Mon-Fri (except Wednesday afternoons)?

2) Is there a white coat ceremony like in US schools?

Hey Staffie - just saw your RVC questions went unanswered. If you are still wondering...

I personally found that I was in class less than I expected during the G&T year (first year of the 4 year program) . However it was a lot to learn, and you do feel like you should be studying all the time. We had lectures most mornings, and the afternoons where variable - some days were 9-5 if you had a 3 hour dissection that day, and others you might get a half day.

We don't really have a white coat ceremony. Before rotations start they do a little ceremony that I think was inspired by US white coat ceremonies, where they get the whole class together, and we say an oath and get an inspirational talk. But you family or friends attend, and there is no white coat... (We wear a special scrub top in clinics here).

Let me know if you have any other RVC questions.

It all depends on what you want out of where you live. If you want more affordable rent, relative ease of getting to the vet school, and to be highly involved in vet school activities, Anniesland might be the way to go. If you want to be more social (go to the pubs, get involved with main uni events, be where all the action is other than the vet school...), the West End (Hillhead) might be the place to go. It's fairly easy to get to the vet school from the West End via the bus using First 6B (in the morning) or 6A, 6/City bus 15 at other times. Tends to cost about 80 pounds a month. Other students live in Partick, Woodlands, Hyndland and Kelvinside. All depends on what you want. I personally chose Anniesland because it fits my lifestyle and I can easily get to the West End or city centre by the bus or train during the weekend. Plus I want to stay in the same place through rotations and don't want to have to worry about getting home late at night. Additionally, I like to get all the sleep I can in the morning. :p

The West End was amazing! I got bored in Anniesland my final year when I finally made the switch for clinics lol.

Hey Tonkamoo! Thanks for answering my questions!

I searched online and found the 2014 Welcome Pack for new students (we haven’t been sent anything like that yet). It said that they advise students to get immunized against tuberculosis. Did you get the BCG vaccine for TB? I’m weary of getting it because I’ve read that it isn’t very effective in adults or for respiratory TB. I’m also concerned that it would lead to positive TB skin test results in the future and therefore necessitate chest x-rays. The risk of getting TB from a cow while I’m out at farms as a vet student seems so low that I don’t think it’s worth it.

I do plan on getting a TB skin test before I start school just to be sure of my status. Do you know if this is available from the Occupational Health service RVC uses?

And to current UK students in general, did you or other North American students you know get immunized against TB?

The West End was amazing! I got bored in Anniesland my final year when I finally made the switch for clinics lol.

That's why I catch rides with my SO to the West End. ;) I think I'd waste a lot more money if I lived there though. I'd eat out and get coffee all the time.

Staffie, Glasgow offered us TB vaccines. I elected not to get the vaccine for the exact reasons you described. A few NA students did chose to get immunized. Some of those students knew they'd be working with cattle more (maybe badgers too? lol) and thought getting the vaccine was fine. To be honest, you're probably more likely to get crypto by the time you graduate. About five people in my class have gotten it already. XD Just a reminder that animals are just as gross as people...

Last edited by a moderator:
I also didn't get the Tb vaccine, and I don't know many classmates who did. I also was worried about positive skin tests in the future being more of a hassle than the vaccine seemed worth. RVC sent us one email recommending we get it, and that was it. I don't think RVC provides any health services like that, they just recommend you go to your local GP. Just an FYI - they will re-imburse you for your rabies vaccine if you want it and get it here (which most Americans will). As long as you say you are going on EMS somewhere that requires it (ie anywhere in the US). Which saves you a lot of money!