UK IMG in the US considering coming back to clinical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

racketed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I qualified 10 years ago back in the UK and worked for 5 years in the NHS up to senior house officer level. I then moved out to the US to study for a Masters in Public Health and have been working in healthcare consulting since. I'm therefore a few years out of practice but I'm now considering coming back to clinical work in the US as I miss it!

Thankfully I have a green card so the visa is not an issue but I'm wondering if there's anyone else out there who's been through a similar path? How difficult was it to go back and pass all the USMLE steps more than 10 years out of med school? Does the fact I have a green card put me on close to equal standing as a US graduate if I pass the exams? How much time should I budget to study for the exams?

Thanks so much for your advice!

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

How difficult was it to go back and pass all the USMLE steps more than 10 years out of med school? How much time should I budget to study for the exams?

This really depends upon you. Lots of new things have been discovered in the last 10 years, so you'll need to study again. And I expect you've forgotten much of your basic science material. Most of the biologics are new, for example.

Does the fact I have a green card put me on close to equal standing as a US graduate if I pass the exams?

Absolutely not. IN fact, many programs screen out applications if you have graduated long enough ago. Often the cutoff is 5 years. By the time you've taken and passed the USMLE's, you'll be 12+ years out. Perhaps some programs will be interested in your other skill sets -- obviously you've done well in consulting, have business experience, etc. But many other programs will assume that you have forgotten all your clinical medicine. I expect you will find this a very steep uphill climb. You will likely need to try and get some clinical experience, which is very difficult -- if you can leverage some of your consulting contacts to get you some good US experience, that would be very helpful. You will need excellent scores, contacts that get you good clinical experience, and quite a bit of luck to succeed.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for your response. I figured it wouldn't be easy, but I've gotten the books and will see how steep the climb is in terms of the exams. The 5 year cut-off is a little more concerning - is that an actual policy or is there anywhere I could find out more information on this kind of screening? I practiced up until 2012 but you're correct in that I'll be 10+ years out of medical school by the time I'd be looking to start a residency. I'd be looking to stay in the Bay Area as that's where our family is settled which I imagine makes it an even steeper climb?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your response. I figured it wouldn't be easy, but I've gotten the books and will see how steep the climb is in terms of the exams. The 5 year cut-off is a little more concerning - is that an actual policy or is there anywhere I could find out more information on this kind of screening? I practiced up until 2012 but you're correct in that I'll be 10+ years out of medical school by the time I'd be looking to start a residency. I'd be looking to stay in the Bay Area as that's where our family is settled which I imagine makes it an even steeper climb?

There's no official policy, but programs literally set screening criteria on the application software. Year of graduation is one of them. You'd have to look at programs individually to see if this is a "hard" or "soft" cutoff, but your application might not even get looked at.

So yes, YOG is a hurdle, the Step exams are quite difficult, and geographic restriction to one of the most competitive regions in the US makes it not just steep but Himalayan. If you still want to give it a go, getting current clinical experience with LoRs is key. And then take Step 1 to give you the best idea of what your chances might be.

@aProgDirector I know this sounds ass-backwards, but would it be possible to take all the Steps, apply for a fellowship (even an unaccredited one), then use that for clinical experience to get into a residency? I'm not sure how many fellowships would accept a senior house officer, but some might value the consulting experience. Maybe a Patient Safety Fellowship with a clinical component? http://www.nrmp.org/participating-fellowships/

Thanks for the reality check, it's at least good to know what I'm up against. I do have a US MPH and all of my consulting work was with healthcare clients so that might help. Definitely keen to explore my options!

Reactions: 1 user
@aProgDirector I know this sounds ass-backwards, but would it be possible to take all the Steps, apply for a fellowship (even an unaccredited one), then use that for clinical experience to get into a residency? I'm not sure how many fellowships would accept a senior house officer, but some might value the consulting experience. Maybe a Patient Safety Fellowship with a clinical component? http://www.nrmp.org/participating-fellowships/

It's a good question. In fact, this used to be a very common pathway. IMG's would apply to fellowships, get 3 years of fellowship training, and then apply for a license. They wouldn't be board certified, but they could get a license and work. That pathway is now mostly closed, as fellowship applicants are now required to have completed a core residency first. It's specialty specific, here are the relevant rules for the IM fellowships:

III.A.2. Eligibility Requirements – Fellowship Programs
All required clinical education for entry into ACGME-accredited fellowship programs must be completed in an ACGME-accredited residency program, or in an RCPSC-accredited or CFPC- accredited residency program located in Canada. (Core) Prior to appointment in the fellowship, fellows should have completed an ACGME- or RCPSC-accredited internal medicine program. (Core)
III.A.2.a) Fellowship programs must receive verification of each entering fellow’s level of competency in the required field using ACGME or CanMEDS Milestones assessments from the core residency program. (Core)
III.A.2.b) Fellow Eligibility Exception
A Review Committee may grant the following exception to the fellowship eligibility requirements:
An ACGME-accredited fellowship program may accept an exceptionally qualified applicant**, who does not satisfy the eligibility requirements listed in Sections III.A.2. and III.A.2.a), but who does meet all of the following additional qualifications and conditions: (Core)
III.A.2.b).(1) Assessment by the program director and fellowship selection committee of the applicant’s suitability to enter the program, based on prior training and review of the summative evaluations of training in the core specialty; and, (Core)
III.A.2.b).(2) Review and approval of the applicant’s exceptional qualifications by the GMEC or a subcommittee of the GMEC; and, (Core)
III.A.2.b).(3) Satisfactory completion of the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Steps 1, 2, and, if the applicant is eligible, 3; and, (Core)
III.A.2.b).(4) For an international graduate, verification of Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) certification; and, (Core)
III.A.2.b).(5) Applicants accepted by this exception must complete fellowship Milestones evaluation (for the purposes of establishment of baseline performance by the Clinical Cardiovascular Disease 12 Competency Committee), conducted by the receiving fellowship program within six weeks of matriculation. This evaluation may be waived for an applicant who has completed an ACGME International-accredited residency based on the applicant’s Milestones evaluation conducted at the conclusion of the residency program; and, (Core)
III.A.2.b).(5).(a) If the trainee does not meet the expected level of Milestones competency following entry into the fellowship program, the trainee must undergo a period of remediation, overseen by the Clinical Competency Committee and monitored by the GMEC or a subcommittee of the GMEC. This period of remediation must not count toward time in fellowship training. (Core)
III.A.2.b).(6) Fellows from non-ACGME- or RCPSC-accredited internal medicine programs must have completed at least three years of internal medicine education prior to starting the fellowship. (Core)
III.A.2.b).(6).(a) The program director must inform applicants from non-ACGME-accredited programs, prior to appointment and in writing, of the ABIM policies and procedures that will affect their eligibility for ABIM certification. (Detail)
III.A.2.c) The Review Committee for Internal Medicine does allow exceptions to the Eligibility Requirements for Fellowship Programs in Section III.A.2. (Core)

** An exceptionally qualified applicant has (1) completed a non-ACGME-accredited residency program in the core specialty, and (2) demonstrated clinical excellence, in comparison to peers, throughout training. Additional evidence of exceptional qualifications is required, which may include one of the following: (a) participation in additional clinical or research training in the specialty or subspecialty; (b) demonstrated scholarship in the specialty or subspecialty; (c) demonstrated leadership during or after residency training; (d) completion of an ACGME-International accredited residency program.

As you can see, it's possible to do a fellowship without a residency, but not easy.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey folks,

Quick follow up - if i were to apply to family medicine residencies how competitive are those in the Bay Area? If I wanted to speak to someone who knows the system well about the specifics of my situation, who might it be? I probably have a few connections I could pull but not sure who would be best - Residency program director?

Cheers!

Hey folks,

Quick follow up - if i were to apply to family medicine residencies how competitive are those in the Bay Area? If I wanted to speak to someone who knows the system well about the specifics of my situation, who might it be? I probably have a few connections I could pull but not sure who would be best - Residency program director?

Cheers!

@racketed, Check out the Family Medicine subforum. They're pretty nice there.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/family-medicine.37/

I'd speak to a number of PDs if you can, because each one tends to be biased toward their own programme and selection style. The best people to talk to, in my humble experience, are PGY3s who've sat on selection committees, because they've recently matched, seen where their friends matched, know how competitive their friends were, know what their programme looks for, etc.

Of course, schmoozing with receptive PDs can't hurt. Especially when you send follow-up emails saying, "Hey, My application might have been screened out because of my YOG, but I have excellent board scores and got great evals on my recent USCE... Can you give me a look"?

Generally, East Bay programmes are very competitive for IMGs, but if you're willing to consider IM or go about 100 miles from SF, there are some IMG friendly programs like Alameda, San Jose, or even Natividad (which is one of the most highly regarded unopposed FM residencies on the West Coast). Again, so much depends on Steps 1-3 and getting good clinical LoRs. You also have a neat "story" with interesting life experience.

Fair warning, I'm just a neurotic IMG MS4. Best of luck.