UK/Irish Vet Schools c/o 2020/2021!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted676737

Anyone else interested in RVC, Dublin, Glasgow, and/or Edinburgh for this cycle? I didn't see a thread for any of these schools yet. :angelic:

I'm very strongly considering applying to at least Glasgow! I've been out of the U.S. multiple times before short-term, but never to Europe; the idea of possibly going international for vet school has me giddy.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I tossed my hat into the Dublin and Edinburgh ring. My family lives in Edinburgh, so that would be a nice deal if I got a spot over there. Except the tuition... that part sucks a bit.

Really a dream of mine to go to Dublin or Edinburgh or Glasgow (visited all around Scotland in 2008, love it, really want to visit Ireland one day), but the price...don't know if I'll ever be able to apply to any of them due to that and the complexities of going overseas.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to Dublin- does anyone know how long it takes to hear anything back from them? Thanks! Goodluck!

I applied to Dublin- does anyone know how long it takes to hear anything back from them? Thanks! Goodluck!

I'm wondering the same thing.

I applied to London, Dublin, Glasgow, and Edinburgh. I figure even if it costs a little more, the experience of living overseas for 4-5 years would be well worth it. I received an email earlier this week from London before my application was even verified and they said they would notify us of interviews within 4 weeks. I'm hoping they will all have quick turn-arounds like that! My application was verified late yesterday though. Has anyone else been verified and contacted by any of the other schools?

I am applying to Dublin and Glasgow. I wonder how long it'll take to hear back from them!

Decided to bite the bullet and apply to Glasgow! Costs are pretty similar to OOS schools, so I figure that if I am going to take on that much debt, I'd at least want to do it while being able to live in another country and experience another culture. Heck, it's cheaper than a few schools, even factoring in that fifth year. Tuition with no inflation is pretty appealing, too.

Anyway... it looks like, in the past, most applicants (for Glasgow, anyway) heard about interviews sometime from mid-November into December. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Glasgow is pretty much the best choice ;)

I applied to RVC. Got an email last week that said they'll notify within 4 weeks. Oh boy oh boy oh boy.

Long live the Queen.

Do the UK/Ire schools have rolling admissions? I'm applying for a scholarship that offers 1 paid year of study in Ireland (made a thread about it) so now I'm looking into Dublin again.

JUST GOT AN INTERVIEW INVITE TO GLASGOW! :biglove: Is this actually happening!?

I just can't believe it because my cumulative GPA is below their posted "minimum" of 3.4, so I wonder if the higher science GPA was enough for them to overlook it. Either way, definitely not looking a gift horse in the mouth.

I have the choice of interviewing any day from Feb 1-4 in Times Square in NYC. Man. Just doesn't feel real that I am at this point now.

Reactions: 2 users
JUST GOT AN INTERVIEW INVITE TO GLASGOW! :biglove: Is this actually happening!?

I just can't believe it because my cumulative GPA is below their posted "minimum" of 3.4, so I wonder if the higher science GPA was enough for them to overlook it. Either way, definitely not looking a gift horse in the mouth.

I have the choice of interviewing any day from Feb 1-4 in Times Square in NYC. Man. Just doesn't feel real that I am at this point now.

Me too!!!! When are you going? :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Me too!!!! When are you going? :)
Congratulations! :highfive: I think my dad and I are going to arrive on Feb 3rd, interview on Feb 4th, and stay at least a couple of extra days (since we're having to fly all the way in, I figure we may as well make the trip worth the cost and hang out in NYC for a bit... I've never actually been there myself).

Interviewing for Glasgow! I live in Connecticut, so I have open availability. Congrats to all of us! Seems so surreal to have made it this far.

I got an interview invite today as well!! :)

Did anyone else apply to London? I got an email a little over 3 weeks ago saying they hope to tell students within 4 weeks (which it hasn't been yet) but I'm just wondering if anyone else has gotten a yes or no after that was sent out?

Did anyone else apply to London? I got an email a little over 3 weeks ago saying they hope to tell students within 4 weeks (which it hasn't been yet) but I'm just wondering if anyone else has gotten a yes or no after that was sent out?

It's only been 16 days since I got that email, so a little more than 2 weeks for me.

I got that email 2 weeks ago but haven't heard anything else.

23 days for me, but I know I still have time to wait. Interesting - I thought they would have all gone out at the same time. Best of luck to you guys!

Just kidding guys. Apparently, I can't do basic math. Feeling better about your competition? :laugh:

Has anyone heard from Dublin yet? I am so anxious!!!

Nope! Submitted on the 13th.
Does your supplemental say incomplete? The instructions said to upload all the documents to VMCAS and not the supplemental, but I just hate seeing that incomplete status there.

Does your supplemental say incomplete? The instructions said to upload all the documents to VMCAS and not the supplemental, but I just hate seeing that incomplete status there.

For Royal or Dublin?

Whew! Hmm, my Dublin one says complete. Does it say what you're missing?
My personal statement, because the VMCAS instructions said we didn't have to upload that into the supplemental.

My personal statement, because the VMCAS instructions said we didn't have to upload that into the supplemental.

I think I just wrote in that area and said it could be found on VMCAS.

I think I just wrote in that area and said it could be found on VMCAS.
Maybe I should do that... :/ I did get an email saying they received my application, so I guess that's a good sign. Have you gotten anything from Edinburgh? I haven't even gotten a confirmation yet. I guess it's still early...?

Maybe I should do that... :/ I did get an email saying they received my application, so I guess that's a good sign. Have you gotten anything from Edinburgh? I haven't even gotten a confirmation yet. I guess it's still early...?

Yeah, do that! You can edit it at any time. Or, email them and ask if it's necessary. And nope, nothing from Edinburgh but their process is a lot longer. I believe the gre isn't even due until November 2nd, but I could be wrong.

Hopefully this week we will hear back from RVC. I hope everyone in this thread gets an interview. Either way, if I don't receive an invitation I'm not going to let that set the tone for the rest of this cycle :cat:

Hopefully this week we will hear back from RVC. I hope everyone in this thread gets an interview. Either way, if I don't receive an invitation I'm not going to let that set the tone for the rest of this cycle :cat:

Agreed! I would love to hear from RVC! Have you heard from Glasgow or any others?

Agreed on all counts!

Oh, whoops :/ I always seem to assume that everyone shares my longing for leaving the country! ️ good luck! Keep us updated.

I love leaving the country, been all around the world! I just didn't even look into the Irish schools. I'll definitely consider them if I have to apply again.

It's been 23 days since I received the RVC confirmation email. I'm getting anxious!

I love leaving the country, been all around the world! I just didn't even look into the Irish schools. I'll definitely consider them if I have to apply again.

It's been 23 days since I received the RVC confirmation email. I'm getting anxious!
Seriously, RVC... You don't *have* to take all 4 of those weeks...

Let's just hope you won't have to apply again and save your Irish trip for a vacation sometime!

But is that the British thing to do?

I've been so anxious too! I'm compulsive about my emails and portals. But, it's comforting that none of us have heard back from them since the confirmation! That's got to be good news. Otherwise, they hate us all equally ;)

Got an interview to Royal! Apparently I don't meet requirements for the 4 year program? I'm not sure why, but whatever - I'll take it!

Got an interview to Royal! Apparently I don't meet requirements for the 4 year program? I'm not sure why, but whatever - I'll take it!

Amazing! Congrats! Did they email you or does it show in your VMCAS?

That's wonderful, congratulations!

"The royal council has decided that we prefer you to pay us more money. Therefore, you are approved for an additional year."

Reactions: 2 users
Isn't the difference between their 4 and 5 year programs based on the classes we've taken over here in our undergrad? The way I understood it when I read through - 4 years = you've prepared yourself thoroughly young padawan and meet our standards. 5 = we feel you need more good ol' schoolin' from across the pond to really round out your education and are therefore sticking you into our longer program. You're welcome. :pompous:

But that's just my interpretation. I'd take it with a grain of salt.

I believe so. But it's called either the 4 or 5 year "programme."
Holy crap, you're right. I need to remember this and many other word corrections if I end up over there.... ex: colour, flavour, realise.... oh the list is endless.

See, what many of them fail to acknowledge though (and they love it when I point it out) is that we took the language they were using for hundreds of years (post-Middle English) and perfected it :naughty: Gets 'em every time

They emailed me, I haven't logged into VMCAS, so I'm not sure if it's also posted there. Also, I inquired about it and they said i didn't have enough upper division biology classes. I did a post-bacc so I took the bare minimum, but it did include micro bio, cell bio, genetics, biochem, and anat/phys (plus of course the intros and the orgos). But I guess they wanted more upper division electives? I emailed them for verification, simply because of the $$$ but I suspect they'll still put me in the 5 year "programme." Oh well. More time to travel Europe! nobody else has heard yet? I'm rooting for us all to get interviews!! I hope you hear soon!