UK/Irish Vet Schools c/o 2020/2021!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have any idea how/where to look for apartment/home rentals for Edinburgh? Put my deposit down last week! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have any idea how/where to look for apartment/home rentals for Edinburgh? Put my deposit down last week! :D
www.rightmove.co.uk is very helpful, you can also check out gumtree.com for private renters (though be careful and don't send any money via internet before meeting or seeing the place etc). popular areas with students and close to the bus lines out to easter bush are sciennes, marchmont, morningside, and newington. some students also like to live in one of the towns closer to school, like loanhead or roslin, but generally people recommend living in edinburgh proper for at least your first year - closer to other students, plus it's a great city.
if you've joined the offer holders page, you could try to meet potential flatmates through that, I know a couple of int'l students found roomies that way before first year, or you could go it on your own first year and get flatmates later if you like. majority of places will want/require you to physically come see the place before you're able to put down a deposit, and most rental places will want deposits, possibly references, etc, some may require a guarantor or 6 months rent up front. iirc i think South Side rentals is quite used to students and may allow int'l guarantors (rather than a UK-based guarantor). I don't rent through them but did look at some of their flats.
hope that helps!

Ive been using gumtree and right move. I'm going out at the end of the month to try to secure housing since I have a dog and a cat. See you in a few months!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Ive been using gumtree and right move. I'm going out at the end of the month to try to secure housing since I have a dog and a cat. See you in a few months!

Oh perfect! You'll have to let me know what you're able to find. I'm bringing two dogs and a cat. I'm hoping to find something without going over. Have fun and good luck!

www.rightmove.co.uk is very helpful, you can also check out gumtree.com for private renters (though be careful and don't send any money via internet before meeting or seeing the place etc). popular areas with students and close to the bus lines out to easter bush are sciennes, marchmont, morningside, and newington. some students also like to live in one of the towns closer to school, like loanhead or roslin, but generally people recommend living in edinburgh proper for at least your first year - closer to other students, plus it's a great city.
if you've joined the offer holders page, you could try to meet potential flatmates through that, I know a couple of int'l students found roomies that way before first year, or you could go it on your own first year and get flatmates later if you like. majority of places will want/require you to physically come see the place before you're able to put down a deposit, and most rental places will want deposits, possibly references, etc, some may require a guarantor or 6 months rent up front. iirc i think South Side rentals is quite used to students and may allow int'l guarantors (rather than a UK-based guarantor). I don't rent through them but did look at some of their flats.
hope that helps!

Thank you, this is a good start for info. Fingers crossed I find a place sooner rather than later!

Hey there,
I was wondering if there was anyone here who has been accepted to both RVC & University of Glasgow that chose Glasgow & if so why you decided on that school.

Feel free to also reply if you are currently attending, graduated or were accepted to both but chose RVC.

Thanks! :)

Hey there,
I was wondering if there was anyone here who has been accepted to both RVC & University of Glasgow that chose Glasgow & if so why you decided on that school.

Feel free to also reply if you are currently attending, graduated or were accepted to both but chose RVC.

I don't fit in either of those two categories but I'm going to respond anyway. I will be attending Edinburgh but it was the last school I heard back from. I was accepted to Dublin, RVC, and Glasgow so for a while I was deliberating between those. I knocked Dublin off of my list pretty early and you're not interested in that one so I'll skip my reasoning. Between RVC and Glasgow, I was leaning toward Glasgow for basically 2 reasons:

- the RVC interview, while engaging, was much more formal and the professors came across as the stereotypical cold and distant Brit. My Glasgow interview was kind of bonkers and I ended up basically debating with one of the interviewers. I appreciated that level of engagement, the fact that something came up and we just ran with it instead of sticking to the strict guidelines of what to talk about. Some of my greatest moments in undergrad and best learning experiences came from professors allowing this in the classroom. They also just seemed generally friendlier.

- The city of London itself. I've never been so I can't say with full certainty, but I really don't think I'd do well in London. I am NOT a big city person. The cost of living is also way more - I was accepted into RVCs 5 year so if you're comparing 4 years at RVC vs 5 at Glasgow, the cost analysis might be different. I am bringing my animals with me, so I was concerned about finding affordable housing knowing that I might have to splurge a bit to find acceptable pet policies.

Good luck on your decision! And might I suggest "walking" around both campuses on google earth if you aren't able to visit for yourself.

Dublin folks- when are you guys planning on flying over?

Hey there,

Glasgow :love:

Reactions: 1 user
Dublin folks- when are you guys planning on flying over?
I actually have a trip to Ireland in the end of June with some friends but that was planned before I had even been offered an interview to Dublin! It was just supposed to be a vacation. But I am going to tour the school and possibly look at some potential places to live on our few days in Dublin there. Ideally, I would like to fly there in mid August to settle in but I have to figure out a place to live that will allow my dog before then. When are you planning on?

Are any of y'all that are going over to school still around here?

Members don't see this ad :)
How's it going over there? Are you living on campus or off?

I'm not in Dublin yet- I'll be flying over in a few weeks. I'll be living off campus- I have an Airbnb booked for while I look for a permanent place. What's your plan?

I don't remember the exact dates off the top of my head, but I think we start orientation the second week of September

For the life of me I can't find the a code to send my GRE scores to glasgow. On this page: http://aavmc.org/glasgow.aspx it says they will consider GRE scores if submitted, but I dont see anywhere on their own website where to submit them to and doing a search on the GRE website doesn't come up with a code for them.

Anyone know if glasgow does accept GRE scores and what code to use?

For the life of me I can't find the a code to send my GRE scores to glasgow. On this page: http://aavmc.org/glasgow.aspx it says they will consider GRE scores if submitted, but I dont see anywhere on their own website where to submit them to and doing a search on the GRE website doesn't come up with a code for them.

Anyone know if glasgow does accept GRE scores and what code to use?
I just looked at my score recipients list and it does not look like I sent my scores to them. I think I must have not found a way to either because I sent it to all the schools I applied to that I could. It didn't matter though, I got into Glasgow too.

I'm not in Dublin yet- I'll be flying over in a few weeks. I'll be living off campus- I have an Airbnb booked for while I look for a permanent place. What's your plan?
I'm also living off campus. My fiancé and I are renting a wing of a house owned by a really nice couple that we met. I'll also be moving over in a couple weeks! Have you been to Ireland before?

I just looked at my score recipients list and it does not look like I sent my scores to them. I think I must have not found a way to either because I sent it to all the schools I applied to that I could. It didn't matter though, I got into Glasgow too.

I contacted them and they said they dont take them. Kind of a bummer since I did pretty well on the GRE. oh well.

I interviewed today & it really was not stressful. The info session was great and the interview & ethics questionnaire weren't stressful, actually pretty low key. The people I interviewed with were really fun and it was more of a conversation with lots of laughing than an intense interview. Good luck everyone!!

I just got my invitation to interview from Glasgow today!! From what I understand reading the email and several of these threads, the interview consists of an ethical questionnaire and a 30 minute interview with Joyce and some member of the Glasgow faculty. My question is though...what is the ethical questionnaire??? Is it written, oral...what is it all about?!

I just got my invitation to interview from Glasgow today!! From what I understand reading the email and several of these threads, the interview consists of an ethical questionnaire and a 30 minute interview with Joyce and some member of the Glasgow faculty. My question is though...what is the ethical questionnaire??? Is it written, oral...what is it all about?!
Anyone else interviewing Nov. 18 in NYC for Glascow??!!

Sent from my KIW-L24 using SDN mobile

I'm interviewing in Feb in Guelph! If anyone else here is, I would love to chat...I'm sorta freaking out!

I talked to Joyce about the ethics questionnaire... it is a written test (I think computer based), and you're given 30 minutes to look at 3 scenarios and consider any implications for them. Apparently everyone does the test at the same time.

Anyone who has interviewed with Glascow before, have any tips/advice for an upcoming interview, or could provide any details about interview format and what to expect, is it more of a traditional interview or MMI, also kinda concerned about this ethical questionnaire and what that entails. I saw something about doing calculations and specific fact based questions, which seems terrifying!

Sent from my KIW-L24 using SDN mobile

Anyone who has interviewed with Glascow before, have any tips/advice for an upcoming interview, or could provide any details about interview format and what to expect, is it more of a traditional interview or MMI, also kinda concerned about this ethical questionnaire and what that entails. I saw something about doing calculations and specific fact based questions, which seems terrifying!

Sent from my KIW-L24 using

From what I understand from Joyce's email, it didn't sound like an MMI style. It seems to be this 30 min ethical reasoning test (analyze 3 scenarios) and then a 2 on 1 interview. I'm interviewing in Guelph, so I don't know if it'll be the same faculty for you but she told me it would be her (Joyce) and Professor Neil Evans. She said they're trying to get to know you and they'll ask questions based on your application. The University of Glasgow website makes it sounds a lot more intense though... :/

Also, I don't know if there's anyone else on here applying this cycle for 2018 start, but I made a new thread for us! :)