UK/Irish Vet Schools c/o 2020/2021!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone heard from Dublin or Edinburgh yet? Saw a post from last year -- people had full blown acceptance invitations to Dublin by the end of November.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone heard from Dublin or Edinburgh yet? Saw a post from last year -- people had full blown acceptance invitations to Dublin by the end of November.
Funny, I was actually going to post the same message. I haven't heard from them. Do you know when people received interview invitations for Dublin and Edinburgh last year?

I'm going to book mine this weekend. Can't believe it's 2 weeks away! If anyone doing the NY interviews wants to get together Saturday night, I'd be down!
Ahhh now it's one week away! I'd be down to meet up with people, but I'm going to NYC with my mom and she probably won't want me to meet up with people from the internet haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Funny, I was actually going to post the same message. I haven't heard from them. Do you know when people received interview invitations for Dublin and Edinburgh last year?
I don't know -- the forum that I saw it in was not an school thread (or UK thread), it was asking about Dublin vs. state schools, but the post was from 11/27 and several of the posters had already received their offers. I'd like to believe that we should be hearing soon! It's a little disconcerting that there hasn't been any update at all - whether my application is under review or anything.

Ahhh now it's one week away! I'd be down to meet up with people, but I'm going to NYC with my mom and she probably won't want me to meet up with people from the internet haha

haha! No worries. Yeah, I guess I forgot about the whole internet aspect. Can't believe it's a week away. I have a crazy week ahead of me with exams, so at least that'll keep me preoccupied (a little bit...). I already had an interview with SGU and I feel like the first one is always the scariest, so hopefully this one is less nerve-wracking. I mean, it's only our futures that we've been working so hard at for years and years, right? No pressure.

I don't know -- the forum that I saw it in was not an school thread (or UK thread), it was asking about Dublin vs. state schools, but the post was from 11/27 and several of the posters had already received their offers. I'd like to believe that we should be hearing soon! It's a little disconcerting that there hasn't been any update at all - whether my application is under review or anything.

Hmmm...hopefully soon!

haha! No worries. Yeah, I guess I forgot about the whole internet aspect. Can't believe it's a week away. I have a crazy week ahead of me with exams, so at least that'll keep me preoccupied (a little bit...). I already had an interview with SGU and I feel like the first one is always the scariest, so hopefully this one is less nerve-wracking. I mean, it's only our futures that we've been working so hard at for years and years, right? No pressure.

Haha yeah, no pressure. Everyone tells me to just be myself and not be nervous...but how can I not be nervous as how well I do can determine the rest of my life!
And how did your SGU interview go? Any tips? I'm still waiting to receive the contact info of my interviewer.

Haha yeah, no pressure. Everyone tells me to just be myself and not be nervous...but how can I not be nervous as how well I do can determine the rest of my life!
And how did your SGU interview go? Any tips? I'm still waiting to receive the contact info of my interviewer.
It went well except for one small daylight savings time related hiccup. We won't go into it, as she said it has absolutely no bearing on my interview or application, but it still made me flustered.

I think there was an equal mix of "do you know what you're getting into" questions (mostly financially), ethical questions (how do you feel about _____, what would do if_____) and "tell me about a time in your vet experience when _______" type questions. I found the latter the most difficult, mostly because I seem to have a TERRIBLE memory and any time someone asks me to tell them of a time when i did x, y, or Z, I totally blank. I'm going to practice those the most before RVC.

They didn't pose any really difficult ethical situations. The AVMA has clear opinions on a lot of "controversial" procedures, and the other ones I either experienced in the clinic or gained insight through conversations with the vet I shadowed. I think the point of the conversations being a) you can't save them all and b) you're going to f*** up at some point, how are you going to handle that.

My biggest tip: don't feel like you have to respond immediately. I definitely rambled on one or two questions or didn't get my point across the way I would've liked to. I'm going to try to take all 10 minutes they give me at each station and probably only spend 1 or 2 minutes talking. I want to come across clear, concise, and thoughtful.

It went well except for one small daylight savings time related hiccup. We won't go into it, as she said it has absolutely no bearing on my interview or application, but it still made me flustered.

I think there was an equal mix of "do you know what you're getting into" questions (mostly financially), ethical questions (how do you feel about _____, what would do if_____) and "tell me about a time in your vet experience when _______" type questions. I found the latter the most difficult, mostly because I seem to have a TERRIBLE memory and any time someone asks me to tell them of a time when i did x, y, or Z, I totally blank. I'm going to practice those the most before RVC.

They didn't pose any really difficult ethical situations. The AVMA has clear opinions on a lot of "controversial" procedures, and the other ones I either experienced in the clinic or gained insight through conversations with the vet I shadowed. I think the point of the conversations being a) you can't save them all and b) you're going to f*** up at some point, how are you going to handle that.

My biggest tip: don't feel like you have to respond immediately. I definitely rambled on one or two questions or didn't get my point across the way I would've liked to. I'm going to try to take all 10 minutes they give me at each station and probably only spend 1 or 2 minutes talking. I want to come across clear, concise, and thoughtful.

Yeah, I'm the same way about having a hard time re-calling a time where I did ____. Will definitely have to practice this before the interview! Thank you for the tips :D Still waiting on my SGU interview date... it will be 3 weeks this week-end.

Also, I got an e-mail from UCD saying that my supplemental application was incomplete as I had not uploaded a personal essay. But, I had messaged UCD before and they told me that I did not need to upload one on the UCD supplemental since already 2 were submitted on VMCAS.... So I was wondering what you did? I e-mailed them again, but still waiting for a reply :(
I was thinking of just uplaoding the same one as I uploaded on the UCD section of VMCAS.

Yeah, I'm the same way about having a hard time re-calling a time where I did ____. Will definitely have to practice this before the interview! Thank you for the tips :D Still waiting on my SGU interview date... it will be 3 weeks this week-end.

Also, I got an e-mail from UCD saying that my supplemental application was incomplete as I had not uploaded a personal essay. But, I had messaged UCD before and they told me that I did not need to upload one on the UCD supplemental since already 2 were submitted on VMCAS.... So I was wondering what you did? I e-mailed them again, but still waiting for a reply :(
I was thinking of just uplaoding the same one as I uploaded on the UCD section of VMCAS.
I tried emailing them as well to no avail so I just uploaded a word document that basically said per VMCAS instructions, my personal statement was uploaded directly to my VMCAS application.

I hope you hear soon from SGU! If it's any consolation, I heard back from my person on Thursday and had the interview that Sunday so it's (probably) not like you'll have to wait much longer for the actual interview.

Got interviews for Glasgow (Feb. 1st, NYC) and Royal (Nov. 17th, Dallas)! Anyone else headed to Dallas?

Hey, I have my interview in Dallas the 17th as well!! I am so nervous/excited/happy all at the same time..

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else going to Dallas the 17th for their RVC interview? :) I can't believe it is this coming Tuesday. Unfortunately it is right in the middle of my comparative animal physiology exam and physics exam, but hey, that's okay, I would absolutely love to go to the RVC..

I'm going to the RVC interview on the 22nd in LA. Anyone else who is going- do you know if there is going to be parking? I'm getting so nervous!!

Also- has anyone heard anything from Edinburgh?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You guys, my interview is THIS weekend. So nervous/pumped.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Best of luck!!
Thank you! I'll try to share some insight afterward for those of you interviewing later. I guess that's kind of counterintuitive for my own interest, but I just want us all to get accepted!

Good luck to you all. Have fun, and most of all, don't **** it up :p.

Anyone else going to Dallas the 17th for their RVC interview? :) I can't believe it is this coming Tuesday. Unfortunately it is right in the middle of my comparative animal physiology exam and physics exam, but hey, that's okay, I would absolutely love to go to the RVC..
I'll be there! My interview is in the afternoon. :)

Hey everyone, I'm interviewing for RVC tomorrow in New York! Anyone else? This is my first interview, so nervous haha!

I kinda abandoned this thread after the first page, haha.

Best of luck to those interviewing for RVC in the coming weeks! :luck::xf:

That interview was seriously fun. Nobody should fret at all.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you! I'll try to share some insight afterward for those of you interviewing later. I guess that's kind of counterintuitive for my own interest, but I just want us all to get accepted!

That would be absolutely wonderful, may all of us be accepted (and it certainly would be nice to share our journey to the UK together!) I hope your interview went great!

Had mine Saturday afternoon. It was pretty good! So to those who haven't done it yet, there really isn't nothing to worry about. Everyone is very nice!

Do you guys have any recommendations on how to prep for the RVC one besides get a good night's sleep and drink coffee?

Not really. Obviously for every interview, you should know your own application - what you said in your personal statement, your work/vet experience, but I don't think there was anything I could've done to prepare for mine. They are "testing" you (for lack of a better word) on your inherent qualities - your ability to communicate, to think critically, etc. I hope all of you in Dallas had a great time today, too!

Side note: for those of us worried about Dublin/Edinburgh, it looks like last year's Official Interview thread has Edinburgh emailing interviews 11/27 and Dublin emailing 12/15.

So I guess we should be hearing from Edinburgh fairly soon! Nervous and excited!

Just got word from Edinburg! Nice that we can do Glasgow & Edinburg in the same week in NYC :)

Yay got one too! Mine is Monday February 8th. And my Glasgow one is February 3rd. I wonder if I should just stay in NYC for the week...

So for some reason they gave me a San Francisco interview even tho I live in CT. AND it's the same day as Glasgow. I'm hoping to move it to NYC - sounds like it's the 8th? That would work perfectly for me.

Same here, got an interview for the 8th in New York, but my Glasgow one is on the 1st...

Congrats to everyone getting interviews!!

Last edited:
Just received an interview for Edinburgh on February 9th in New York!

Me too! Feb 1st in San Francisco.

I'll be in NYC on Feb 5th for my Edinburgh interview.

For anyone waiting on Dublin, I got an email confirming classes, so looks like they're getting through their initial review.

I'll be in NYC on Feb 5th for my Edinburgh interview.

For anyone waiting on Dublin, I got an email confirming classes, so looks like they're getting through their initial review.
Hey, congrats! Long time no hear!

Greetings everyone!

Long time follower, first time poster here!

I'm currently shaking in my boots as I've yet to receive correspondence from Edinburgh since submitting my application.
Is anyone else in the same boat? Is it a negative sign? Are all my hopes and dreams...dashed?

For those who have received invitations, congratulations and bon chance!

I'm not sure if they send out their invites in waves or all at once. I would give it a little more time before giving up all hope. I hope you hear soon!

Howdy! Long time lurker and first time poster! Hopefully there are some current UK students reading this thread as I don't really know where else to ask.
I don't want this to come off as snobby or elitist; trust me that's not the spirit of this question.

As a college graduate did you have a hard time connecting with or relating to your much younger UK classmates? My understanding is that most UK students are accepted out of high school. Did that 4 year age gap make finding friends difficult? I've talked to a lot of high school seniors recently and have been amazed at the differences in perspective and maturity between them and people my own age.

I'm not in the UK school system, but this question can easily be answered by any of the older non-trads here (like myself). The age gap does play a role in how many things you have in common and the maturity factor will play a part. That said though, I've had no issue connecting with my classmates in my undergrad classes and that's a 10+ minimum age gap difference for me, not the 4 you may experience. And I'm by no means the oldest non-trad either, so I'm sure many of the other "gray hairs" around here will echo my thoughts. :oldman:

I'd say the biggest issue would be if an older student went into a class with younger students and had the, "I'm older, therefore wiser/smarter/more mature/etc than you children" attitude. While it might be true from time to time, don't be a D-bag about it. You were there once. There's a lot to learn from one another, and in the end we're all there for the same goal. :prof:

Howdy! Long time lurker and first time poster! Hopefully there are some current UK students reading this thread as I don't really know where else to ask.
I don't want this to come off as snobby or elitist; trust me that's not the spirit of this question.

As a college graduate did you have a hard time connecting with or relating to your much younger UK classmates? My understanding is that most UK students are accepted out of high school. Did that 4 year age gap make finding friends difficult? I've talked to a lot of high school seniors recently and have been amazed at the differences in perspective and maturity between them and people my own age.

Nope. The first year takes a little bit of adjusting because it's their first time on their own, but as long as you are open minded, you stop noticing the gap after second year. Some of my closest friends in my class were UK, and we still keep in touch 2 years out from grad. Some classes there was a bit more of a divide than others (my class got along pretty well, the one below me not as much), but if you become involved with clubs and such, you stop caring about the gap.

I think it is more of an individual thing. There are definitely things that the younger group are still getting used to that you have already experienced. Some people also just seem to never grow up. To be honest, the worst person that I personally met in my class was someone who was actually older. There was some of the immaturity in the younger crowd, but it was not limited to them. Some of them were really mature and others not so much. Some of the older crowd were really immature and others not so much. It really is individual and has no real age bearing, other than those who are older probably have already had a few life experiences that the younger people are just now having. They are just finding their wings, so to say and all that comes with that initial first bit of independence. You will still be able to find friends and people that you can relate with and age won't be an issue.

I think DVMDream perfectly summed up the experience I've been having in the UK too. Some of the younger students will surprise you. They work hard, showing up to early meetings with coffees in hand and ready to participate. Others like to focus on the social aspects and flake a lot. However, this is also true for the older students some of them are in their mid-20s to late-20s.

Interview just got changed to Feb 8 in NYC! Hallelujah. Can't wait to see some of your smiling faces!

Echoing DVMD and SnS, the age gap isn't too big of a deal. I'm ~10 years older than a lot of the students and it generally doesn't feel like that much of a difference. Like DVMD said, some are more mature than others, but same can definitely be said of the older students. Fairly even proportion of studious and mature to the opposite in both younger and older age groups. There seems to be decent mixing of ages in my year as well.
The main difference I've noticed is a decent proportion of the younger group are all well up for university life like partying, going out to clubs, lots of drinking (drinking age is 18 in the UK), etc, which I haven't done since undergrad and am not really into anymore. So that's the main difference I've noticed, but then, my friend group has a lot of younger students (19-22ish) and they're not big drinkers/clubbers, so you can find people into the same things as you regardless of age.
I think it also helps that everyone's kind of in it together and studying the same thing - even if there's an age difference, you all still have this one big thing in common and are going through that similar experience. If, like FtDM said, you're not a jerk about it, you probably won't find any issues with it.

Yeah, I don't think an age gap will make a big difference. You will all have lots in common so it should be easy to become friends with the younger students. And there will also be lots of students your age and older. So I don't think the age difference is something to worry about.