UK/Irish Vet Schools c/o 2020/2021!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
RVC (£33,000) is the most expensive followed by Edinburgh (£29,600) and then Dublin (€33,500) is the cheapest. I also would assume that living expenses are in the same order as that.

I got into RVC and Dublin so far, waiting on Edinburgh still. Definitely having a hard time deciding on where to go too

Dublin's living costs are insane.

Members don't see this ad.

This is what I've heard. The tuition might be cheaper but I've heard COL is off the charts. London too. However, the euro is much closer to the dollar at this point so that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

At the RVC interview, they mentioned they give out one scholarship. Does anyone have information about this, or remember when they said they would contact candidates?

Members don't see this ad :)
RVC (£33,000) is the most expensive followed by Edinburgh (£29,600) and then Dublin (€33,500) is the cheapest. I also would assume that living expenses are in the same order as that.
I've been looking for Dublin's tuition for a while, where did you find this info?

At the RVC interview, they mentioned they give out one scholarship. Does anyone have information about this, or remember when they said they would contact candidates?
I thought I remembered them saying you would automatically get considered for it and that when it came time they would contact you asking for the essay or whatever. I feel like they said it would be after the 4/15 deadline, which kind of sucks because that would be a good thing to know for decision making. But I could be wrong.

I thought I remembered them saying you would automatically get considered for it and that when it came time they would contact you asking for the essay or whatever. I feel like they said it would be after the 4/15 deadline, which kind of sucks because that would be a good thing to know for decision making. But I could be wrong.

Yeah, they said it was automatic based on academic merit, but the shortlisted candidates would be contacted. Thanks, that's too bad though if its after the deadline because that has a huge impact on the decision.

Yeah, they said it was automatic based on academic merit, but the shortlisted candidates would be contacted. Thanks, that's too bad though if its after the deadline because that has a huge impact on the decision.
You could probably just email them about it. I know everyone tries not to be "that person" asking about his/her application or when acceptances will go out, but now that that's over, it can't hurt.

Hey everyone!

I read through most of this thread now and am in the same boat as many of you. I got into a few US schools but definitely want to be overseas for vet school. Been accepted at Dublin and had my interview in Edinburgh Feb 1st in SF -- has anyone heard back from Edinburgh? It's KILLING me to wait as this is the last school I need to hear back from and one of the schools that I wanted the most.

Congrats to everyone who got offers!!

Hey everyone!

I read through most of this thread now and am in the same boat as many of you. I got into a few US schools but definitely want to be overseas for vet school. Been accepted at Dublin and had my interview in Edinburgh Feb 1st in SF -- has anyone heard back from Edinburgh? It's KILLING me to wait as this is the last school I need to hear back from and one of the schools that I wanted the most.

Congrats to everyone who got offers!!
Nope haven't heard back, also my last school to hear from, also my top choice. Last year they heard Feb 26 so I'm hoping we hear this week!

Woo, finally heard back from Glasgow -- waitlisted, it appears. I'd be bummed normally, but since I've pretty much already decided on ISU, I'm not taking it all that hard and will be requesting that I be removed from the list. I would've loved to go, for sure, but meh. Life happens.

Reactions: 1 users
That is a really great question and I am going through the same thing. I got into london and dublin and my in state. My in state is way cheaper than either of those schools but I would be so happy in either Dublin or London. London is ranked higher but it is also more expensive for tuition and living. Dublin is cheaper but ranked lower. I am not really sure how much rankings actually have to do with anything but london seems like a top notch program that really prepares students the best. But I am also not sure how much different the schools are. Basically I am having a very tough time deciding

Rankings are absolute BS. Being here long enough you realise that. From talking to vets in the field, apparently most English veterinary practices would rather hire a UCD grad rather than one of their own... so there's that....

Not really, it's all relative tbh. Compared to what you are used to perhaps. But in the grand scheme of things no. I am from Los Angeles and they are much cheaper than there. As such they are cheaper then London for sure. Quality of life is huge as well and I have it here, but to each their own - I love it here, but not everyone will.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Rankings are absolute BS. Being here long enough you realise that. From talking to vets in the field, apparently most English veterinary practices would rather hire a UCD grad rather than one of their own... so there's that....

Not really, it's all relative tbh. Compared to what you are used to perhaps. But in the grand scheme of things no. I am from Los Angeles and they are much cheaper than there. As such they are cheaper then London for sure. Quality of life is huge as well and I have it here, but to each their own - I love it here, but not everyone will.
So they prefer UCD grads? Is it a better program there? I really feel a bit lost on both of those schools and still can't decide if it is worth the money. I love both cities (Dublin more though because Ireland is a wonderful place). Do you know a lot about the programs and if so can you fill me in on which is better maybe haha

I GOT IN!! I'm officially going to be a Dick Vet! Holy crap! Holy crap! Holy crap!

Edit: 4 year GEP

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I applied to Dublin- does anyone know how long it takes to hear anything back from them? Thanks! Goodluck!
I got my reply 2 months after I applied other people in my class had to go through an interview. Others heard really late. (I'm studying at UCD now)

Edinburgh here I come!:clap:

Reactions: 3 users

When I applied, it was compared to Glasgow. I loved the city and it was a tough choice between them. But tuition was double even with one less year of school on top of the high flat rates and food etc.. And the Euro sucked. It's probably changed quite a bit in 7 years though. ;) Gosh, when did I get old....

I just got my acceptance email for Edinburgh's 4 year GEP program!! So ecstatic-- can't wait to see some of you there! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted to 4 year GEP in Edinburgh!!!! Now decision time begins for realsies.

4 year GEP for Edinburgh!! Is anyone else visiting Dublin and Edinburgh? They're my top 2 choices and I'll be seeing both next month :)

Congratulations on the acceptances everyone! I too received an offer for the GEP at Edinburgh. Anyone stuck deciding between RVC and R(D)SVS?

Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations on the acceptances everyone! I too received an offer for the GEP at Edinburgh. Anyone stuck deciding between RVC and R(D)SVS?

Congrats! Yep, I'm waffling back and forth right now. I LOVED Edinburgh's presentation and whole feel. My interview with the RVC seems like so long ago now that I'm afraid I've forgotten all the good feelings I had with them. I also really like that Edinburgh's campus is entirely renovated and in one location. On the other hand, London would be an amazing place to live! The Hawkshead campus looks very similar to Edinburgh (updated and modern). I've had almost three weeks to envision myself at the RVC, now I need to do the same for Edinburgh!

Congrats on the acceptances! I also was accepted to the 4 year in Edinburgh. Choosing between RVC and Edinburgh is going to be so hard, but I agree that the general atmosphere at the interview was very welcoming and made me feel really good about the whole thing. I felt better about it than my RVC interview!

Yay congrats everyone! I got accepted to Edinburgh as well :D :D :D
I've crossed RVC off my list...so now I gotta decide between Edinbugh, Glasgow and London! so hard!!!!!!! No clue how I'm gonna choose!

I got into the 4 year at RVC as well, but just don't feel great about the program when compared to Dublin & Edinburgh. The ranking is cool, but honestly, I don't think anyone in the real world cares if you went to the #3 school or #33.

Yay congrats everyone! I got accepted to Edinburgh as well :D :D :D
I've crossed RVC off my list...so now I gotta decide between Edinbugh, Glasgow and London! so hard!!!!!!! No clue how I'm gonna choose!
You've crossed RVC off your list but you're deciding between the others and London?

I got into the 4 year at RVC as well, but just don't feel great about the program when compared to Dublin & Edinburgh. The ranking is cool, but honestly, I don't think anyone in the real world cares if you went to the #3 school or #33.

Every vet I've ever talked to says that picking the school that will give you the least debt is always the best choice over rankings. And RVC may not cost that much more than other places for tuition, but COL in London vs. Edinburgh is a substantial difference!

I find that RVC tuition is quite significantly more than the others....it's 7000 pounds more than Glasgow and 4000 pounds more than Edinburgh, which for me is a difference of 8,000 -14,000 Canadian dollars per year. Plus added the very high cost of living...RVC is so much more expensive than the rest. Which is why I've decided to cross off London of my possible vet school choices.

Is anyone familiar with the cost of living for Edinburgh vs. Glasgow? The tuition of Glasgow is slightly less than Edinburgh, but since Glasgow is a 5 year program, I figured it'll come out more expensive than Edinburgh....unless there is a significant different in the cost of living between the two. But I figured since both are in Scotland and only 1 hr apart, the difference shouldn't be too big, right?

Also, I was thinking of starting a Google doc to write pros/cons and little facts about the 4 schools. Would anyone like to contribute? I can post the link to the google doc here

For those of you looking at Dublin and have dogs, I do recommend looking at the Irish laws regarding breed specific regulation (in fact, anywhere you're looking, it would be good to check laws). I have GSDs and I would have to have them muzzled when out in public. Not the end of the world, but a pain in a$$ for sure.

I find that RVC tuition is quite significantly more than the others....it's 7000 pounds more than Glasgow and 4000 pounds more than Edinburgh, which for me is a difference of 8,000 -14,000 Canadian dollars per year. Plus added the very high cost of living...RVC is so much more expensive than the rest. Which is why I've decided to cross off London of my possible vet school choices.

Is anyone familiar with the cost of living for Edinburgh vs. Glasgow? The tuition of Glasgow is slightly less than Edinburgh, but since Glasgow is a 5 year program, I figured it'll come out more expensive than Edinburgh....unless there is a significant different in the cost of living between the two. But I figured since both are in Scotland and only 1 hr apart, the difference shouldn't be too big, right?

Also, I was thinking of starting a Google doc to write pros/cons and little facts about the 4 schools. Would anyone like to contribute? I can post the link to the google doc here

Wrong. Glasgow is cheaper than Edinburgh. Anniesland flats are soooo cheap.

And I still paid less in 5 years than I would have paid in 4 years OOS.

I haven't looked at specific costs of Glasgow housing but I can believe it is cheaper, not sure it makes up for the extra year in tuition though.

I'm also currently saving about $10k per year as an OOS in comparison to edinburgh, would probably be less when compared to Glasgow, but I'd still be saving. Depends on the OOS though. Davis and Penn OOS don't count, you won't save at either of those. ;)

I haven't looked at specific costs of Glasgow housing but I can believe it is cheaper, not sure it makes up for the extra year in tuition though.

I'm also currently saving about $10k per year as an OOS in comparison to edinburgh, would probably be less when compared to Glasgow, but I'd still be saving. Depends on the OOS though. Davis and Penn OOS don't count, you won't save at either of those. ;)

My rent in Kansas is crazy :(

I didn't know you don't need to buy books for Edinburgh?? That would be so much less expensive!! Where did you find that out?
I'm a 1st year GEP at Edinburgh. We pay about 30 pounds at the beginning of the year for all notes and handouts. Books are optional. I haven't felt the need to purchase any. All the books are also available in the library. I can't speak to how books are handled at the other UK schools.

Yep. It's about $10,000 less for me to attend Glasgow for 5 years instead of 4 years of IS.

Wow that's crazy!! I wouldn't hesitate to go to Europe if that was the case for me. My "IS" school (living in Canada...so more like IP haha) is a a littler over $40,000 cheaper than going to Europe.

Yep. It's about $10,000 less for me to attend Glasgow for 5 years instead of 4 years of IS.
While tuition (and living expenses) might total to less than a 4 year school in Glasgow, there is an opportunity cost to staying an extra year in school that you have to include in your calculation. By extending your schooling for 1 year, you are giving up the salary that you would have made as a working veterinarian for that year. This amount would reduce the net cost of a 4 year degree and needs to be included in the financial evaluation.

While tuition (and living expenses) might total to less than a 4 year school in Glasgow, there is an opportunity cost to staying an extra year in school that you have to include in your calculation. By extending your schooling for 1 year, you are giving up the salary that you would have made as a working veterinarian for that year. This amount would reduce the net cost of a 4 year degree and needs to be included in the financial evaluation.

This is very true and should be a larger consideration. I would rather spend that fifth year on an internship back in the states. Glasgow is not high on my list for exactly this reason. It's the only school that asks for the extra year.

This is very true and should be a larger consideration. I would rather spend that fifth year on an internship back in the states. Glasgow is not high on my list for exactly this reason. It's the only school that asks for the extra year.
Regardless of when you start your work life (after internship, after residency, after Phd), you are still missing that 1 year of working if you do a 5 year program. It should just be part of the consideration when you put cost into the equation.

I'm not saying you shouldn't consider it, but Eh, it's one year. Plenty of people take gap years.

In that one year I got to go on 3 more 2 week externships which helped set me up to get a job, I got to learn how to take British exams, I spent an extra year studying anatomy and physiology and not feeling rushed, and I got to travel around Europe and gain life experience. I don't think I would give that year back for the $25k I made in my internship.

I don't think you should discount Glasgow because it is one extra year. And not to scare you, but resit years are much more common over there---so 5 years is a possibility even in a 4 year program.

It hasn't affected my work life negatively.

I'm not saying you shouldn't consider it, but Eh, it's one year. Plenty of people take gap years.

In that one year I got to go on 3 more 2 week externships which helped set me up to get a job, I got to learn how to take British exams, I spent an extra year studying anatomy and physiology and not feeling rushed, and I got to travel around Europe and gain life experience. I don't think I would give that year back for the $25k I made in my internship.

I don't think you should discount Glasgow because it is one extra year. And not to scare you, but resit years are much more common over there---so 5 years is a possibility even in a 4 year program.

It hasn't affected my work life negatively.

One more year of vet school would kill me. But that is just me, I know not everyone feels that way. Just finishing out these last few weeks is starting to drag on. I don't think I could do another entire year of veterinary school, 4 years is more than enough for me.

This may be a dumb question, but for anyone living with dogs over in the UK: were you able to find the same dog foods or did you have to change brands?