UK/Irish Vet Schools c/o 2021/2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's never for nothing. Does Ross do interviews or do they just offer spots?
Yes, from what I have heard they interview everyone so I assume I will have one. It's just not my top choice, would prefer UK/Ireland.

Members don't see this ad.

I know Dublin offers seats first, then interviews for candidates that they need certain parts of their application explained. They might not offer you a seat right away because of your GPA, but if they give you an interview you will be able to explain your circumstances. Glasgow is my top choice and thinking about the interview makes my chest hurt from anxiety lol.

I know Dublin offers seats first, then interviews for candidates that they need certain parts of their application explained. They might not offer you a seat right away because of your GPA, but if they give you an interview you will be able to explain your circumstances. Glasgow is my top choice and thinking about the interview makes my chest hurt from anxiety lol.

I was literally the same as you (I felt like death the morning of haha), however I really want to emphasize that Glasgow's interviewers are SUPER kind and also have a great sense of humor. I found the overall atmosphere quite welcoming after answering the first few questions, which definitely surprised me since I no longer felt that nervous for the rest of the interview. I also felt like the interview went by super fast and their questions were catered towards you as an individual, so just make sure you know everything on your application since they want to know how these experiences have shaped you. Also, the presentation ahead of the ethical reasoning test was EXTREMELY helpful for me to get a better feel of their school, and definitely expanded upon the curriculum mentioned on the webpage--in case anything online isn't clear to you!
Not sure if what I said was helpful, but I would say my cortisol levels were through the roof the day prior to the interview, and I found the actual interview to be quite enjoyable! So don't worry too much--you'll have a great time!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was literally the same as you (I felt like death the morning of haha), however I really want to emphasize that Glasgow's interviewers are SUPER kind and also have a great sense of humor. I found the overall atmosphere quite welcoming after answering the first few questions, which definitely surprised me since I no longer felt that nervous for the rest of the interview. I also felt like the interview went by super fast and their questions were catered towards you as an individual, so just make sure you know everything on your application since they want to know how these experiences have shaped you. Also, the presentation ahead of the ethical reasoning test was EXTREMELY helpful for me to get a better feel of their school, and definitely expanded upon the curriculum mentioned on the webpage--in case anything online isn't clear to you!
Not sure if what I said was helpful, but I would say my cortisol levels through the roof the day prior to the interview, and I found the actual interview to be quite enjoyable! So don't worry too much--you'll have a great time!

It was helpful, thank you. I'm also worried about being waitlisted. My GPA is a little lower than the 3.4, but I am a minority and an older student (28), and I have 16,000 hours of experience in wildlife, small animal, exotic, and research, so I'm hoping that will be enough even if i don't have a 3.8 GPA. For some crazy reason, my university is one of the hardest universities in the United States to get an "A" even though it's definitely not a fancy school.

Maybe it's not too late to run away and go work for a vineyard in Italy.....

Reactions: 1 user
same... so stressful
Still haven't heard!
Congrats and good luck!

Have you guys heard anything yet?

I inquired as to whether or not ALL invites had been sent out yet and yesterday this was the response:

"We have begun sending interview invitations, but this process is still ongoing and not all invitations have been sent yet. VMCAS applicants may be offered an interview for the 5 year programme if their application is strong overall but lacking in one area, for example a lower GPA or not demonstrating all of our prerequisite courses. If this is the case, we would contact the candidate to inform them of this before sending the interview invitation.

Kind regards,

Andrew Logan
Admissions Officer"

I just got an interview invite for the 5-year program at RVC!!!!! Which makes sense because my GPA was under the required 3.4 but I am still SO HAPPY!

Reactions: 3 users
I just got an interview invite for the 5-year program at RVC!!!!! Which makes sense because my GPA was under the required 3.4 but I am still SO HAPPY!

CONGRATS!
I'm so happy for you!
Good luck!

I got an interview for the four year program at Royal!
11/20 in LA!

I got an interview for the four year program at Royal!
11/20 in LA!

YAAAAY! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

SO EXCITED FOR EVERYONE!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!!!!!!

If you don't mind me asking what were your stats? I also got invited for the 5 year, was hoping for the 4 year but oh well!

Sure!

Cum. GPA: 3.01
Sci GPA: 2.8
GRE: 155 V, 142 Q, 5.0 writing
Animal Exp: 800 hours

Do you mind explaining to me how to reply to the interview invitation? Do I just copy the response form and send it back to them?

Sure!

Cum. GPA: 3.01
Sci GPA: 2.8
GRE: 155 V, 142 Q, 5.0 writing
Animal Exp: 800 hours

Do you mind explaining to me how to reply to the interview invitation? Do I just copy the response form and send it back to them?

wow are stats are pretty much identical right down to the GRE score! Freaky!

I haven't replied yet, on monday I want to clarify what they mean by submitting experience references, because since we applied through VMCAS wouldn't they have all of our experiences listed, as well as our LORs? I may be reading that wrong, what do you think?

But yes I believe that we do just send that response form back saying "yes" or "no" and stating our guests that are coming and such. What day is your interview?

See, all that shower studying wasn't for nothing.

I didn't hear anything from them yet, so I'll wait until next week. It could be that I'm neither an American or Canadian or UK student? I can't remember if I put I wanted to be considered for both 4 or 5 years. Is it just something they decide?

[ QUOTE="mildredjrt, post: 18241733, member: 745270"]wow are stats are pretty much identical right down to the GRE score! Freaky!

I haven't replied yet, on monday I want to clarify what they mean by submitting experience references, because since we applied through VMCAS wouldn't they have all of our experiences listed, as well as our LORs? I may be reading that wrong, what do you think?

But yes I believe that we do just send that response form back saying "yes" or "no" and stating our guests that are coming and such. What day is your interview?[/QUOTE]

I replied to them and asked them a ton of questions about the reference portion, so I'll let you know what they say. :)

Reactions: 1 users
I replied to them and asked them a ton of questions about the reference portion, so I'll let you know what they say. :)

I was going to e-mail them as well because the only thing I could find online was for the UK BSc Veterinary nursing applicants who received interview invites via UCAS:

From their website: http://www.rvc.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/bsc-veterinary-nursing/how-to-apply

"Applicants successful in getting to interview will be required to provide written references to support the information given on the Work Experience Form. A good reference should clearly state how long the placement lasted, as well as telling us what sort of tasks you undertook, what your attitude was to your duties, and what your communication skills were like with staff and the public/clients.

If you would prefer to give your referee a Work Experience Evaluation Form to complete, rather than ask for a letter-style reference, feel free to use the forms below (or use them to get an idea of the sort of information we are looking for):

-Work Experience Evaluation Form (veterinary practice)

-Work Experience Evaluation Form (non-clinical)"

Thank you for letting us know what they say! :)

See, all that shower studying wasn't for nothing.

I didn't hear anything from them yet, so I'll wait until next week. It could be that I'm neither an American or Canadian or UK student? I can't remember if I put I wanted to be considered for both 4 or 5 years. Is it just something they decide?
I put that I was only interested in the 4 year but I guess they automatically consider you for the 5 year if you are missing something in pre-reqs or your GPA isn't high enough.

Hi guys,

I'm applying to Glasgow and RVC, and got an interview for both.

The one for RVC is on November 13th here in NYC and I'm kind of ambivalent towards the MMI format... Anyone here have experience with it in a vet school setting and can share how they feel about it? Also, has anyone heard about a group "exercise"? I've heard about the fishbowl thing, where they just tell you to talk to each other, but not an exercise.

Also, I've been trying to see if RVC has any data on the acceptance ratio into the 4-year program, but with no luck. (They have both 5-year and 4-year listed with the same ratio) Does anyone have info on this? Or how many people apply on average per international spot?

I'm fairly comfortable with the academic portion of my app, a 3.94 cGPA and a science GPA around 3.9, 163 GRE scores for both math/reading lots of research hours and two papers, teaching hours, and time spent providing care for both SA and equine. But with the MMI format I won't have the opportunity to tell them why I don't have tons of veterinary hours. (I have about a month's worth of full-time) Don't know how much they care at this point if they're only looking at our personalities.

Lastly, for the peeps who are gunning for Glasgow as your first choice, do you mind if I ask why? Seeing as RVC is fairly the equivalent, if not better.

Good luck to everyone going to the interviews. Mine was supposed to be Nov 11th, however, I already accepted SGU's offer and start in January

Booked my flights and hotels today for the RVC interview in NYC, and all on airmiles so thats a major savings! My two best friends are coming with me and we are making a fun weekend out of it. Can't wait!

Good luck to everyone going to the interviews. Mine was supposed to be Nov 11th, however, I already accepted SGU's offer and start in January
Congrats! What made you decide on SGU? I applied to the other Caribbean school, Ross, but I haven't heard anything yet.

Hi guys,

I'm applying to Glasgow and RVC, and got an interview for both.

The one for RVC is on November 13th here in NYC and I'm kind of ambivalent towards the MMI format... Anyone here have experience with it in a vet school setting and can share how they feel about it? Also, has anyone heard about a group "exercise"? I've heard about the fishbowl thing, where they just tell you to talk to each other, but not an exercise.

Also, I've been trying to see if RVC has any data on the acceptance ratio into the 4-year program, but with no luck. (They have both 5-year and 4-year listed with the same ratio) Does anyone have info on this? Or how many people apply on average per international spot?

I'm fairly comfortable with the academic portion of my app, a 3.94 cGPA and a science GPA around 3.9, 163 GRE scores for both math/reading lots of research hours and two papers, teaching hours, and time spent providing care for both SA and equine. But with the MMI format I won't have the opportunity to tell them why I don't have tons of veterinary hours. (I have about a month's worth of full-time) Don't know how much they care at this point if they're only looking at our personalities.

Lastly, for the peeps who are gunning for Glasgow as your first choice, do you mind if I ask why? Seeing as RVC is fairly the equivalent, if not better.

I am not too sure how RVC's MMI works either, however I have ordered a few books that were recommend to me to get ready for it. I am hoping one of the stations is more of a personal interview as I know some schools do that, but I am not sure. What was the ratio for the 4 and 5 year program that you found?

I am not too sure how RVC's MMI works either, however I have ordered a few books that were recommend to me to get ready for it. I am hoping one of the stations is more of a personal interview as I know some schools do that, but I am not sure. What was the ratio for the 4 and 5 year program that you found?
RVC's website says this for both:
2015 application data:
498 offers; 1507 applicants

which doesn't sound all too bad, but I'm thinking the 4-year one is much more competitive

Also, what books are you reading? I haven't been recommended anything by my admissions counselor. :/ And really? How do they fit in a more personal interview? Like just a traditional prompt as in, tell us why this school, or tell us why we should pick you? I've never heard of anyone having a station like that.

And that sounds great! You can have some time off after the stress of the interviews. Where are you flying in from?

RVC's website says this for both:
2015 application data:
498 offers; 1507 applicants

which doesn't sound all too bad, but I'm thinking the 4-year one is much more competitive

Also, what books are you reading? I haven't been recommended anything by my admissions counselor. :/ And really? How do they fit in a more personal interview? Like just a traditional prompt as in, tell us why this school, or tell us why we should pick you? I've never heard of anyone having a station like that.

And that sounds great! You can have some time off after the stress of the interviews. Where are you flying in from?

People I have spoken to that are already in vet school told me they read both of these books before their interviews:
Multiple Mini Interview for the Mind and,
An Introduction to Veterinary Medical Ethics by Bernard Rollin

I am Canadian, so for my provincial school OVC which I am also applying to, at one of the MMI stages apparently is a stage where they ask you about your application (experiences, personal statement, motivations for vet school), and I believe Edinburgh does this as well as a part of their MMI process, I may be wrong on that part though!

I am flying into La Guardia Friday night from Pearson in Toronto and staying until Monday to enjoy some of NYC!

People I have spoken to that are already in vet school told me they read both of these books before their interviews:

I am Canadian, so for my provincial school OVC which I am also applying to, at one of the MMI stages apparently is a stage where they ask you about your application (experiences, personal statement, motivations for vet school), and I believe Edinburgh does this as well as a part of their MMI process, I may be wrong on that part though!

I am flying into La Guardia Friday night from Pearson in Toronto and staying until Monday to enjoy some of NYC!

Thanks so much! I was already reading the ethics one, but that was purely out of interest haha. I don't know why I enjoy reading it, but I do. The other one will help a ton though, thank you!

And oh, I see. Do they read your PS and app and then ask about that, or is it just generic questions? I hope they actually read it first. Also, I've heard mixed opinions on how nice and friendly the interviewers were at RVC. Have you heard more towards one or the other? And same with the "group exercise". Some said it stressed them out and some said it was a joke... Not very helpful. o_O

What day is your interview? Perhaps we can meet up before or after if you would like - I can show you some great bars to de-stress in! ;)

Sorry I guess I worded that wrong, I definitely didn't mean it was "easy" by any means, just more apt to look at the big picture instead of just GPA I guess is what I meant :) If I have learned one thing it is that this is a dream you can want so bad it hurts, and work your butt off, and still get rejected. Accepting that I will maybe have to apply again is something I am warming up to, time certainly does go by faster than we think it will...except when we are waiting to hear from schools! haha

I will check out that link, thanks!!

Glasgow looks at the big picture, but their GPA requirement is at least a 3-3.2 if I remember correctly.

From RVC Admissions regarding reference letters:

"The reference letters should be signed, on headed paper of the establishment concerned. It should be written by someone who has overseen the work you have completed, so if the professor has overseen your work with the lab animals this would be appropriate.

The main thing is that the references confirm the dates/length of time you have worked there, but it would be useful if they also contain a brief description of your duties and confirmation that you conducted yourself in a satisfactory manner. We are mainly concerned with work experience which meets our requirement for 10 days of each type from the last 18 months. It is not necessary to provide older or additional references to this and doing so will not provide any benefit to your application."

Glasgow looks at the big picture, but their GPA requirement is at least a 3-3.2 if I remember correctly.

FWIW glasgow didn't offer me an interview and I had a 3.17 cGPA (3.91 pre-req GPA, 3.87 last 45 GPA) with a bunch of research/vet/animal experience and since this is a second career for me, a ton of extracurricular/non animal related work experiences. :shrug:

I'm assuming my low cGPA (all from my original bachelors degree) ruined me.

FWIW glasgow didn't offer me an interview and I had a 3.17 cGPA (3.91 pre-req GPA, 3.87 last 45 GPA) with a bunch of research/vet/animal experience and since this is a second career for me, a ton of extracurricular/non animal related work experiences. :shrug:

Did you apply to Dublin? They might offer you a spot if you have a ton of hours.

I got an interview for Glasgow but I haven't heard from Royal. It might be because I'm an Uruguayan citizen so I don't know if they'd finished sending interviews for international students? I'd rather get an interview for Edinburgh anyway. My GPA is about average, but my strong rec letters and 16,000 hours of veterinary experience/research saved my application, I think.

Has anyone been waitlisted by Glasgow before? If so, did they explain why?

From RVC Admissions regarding reference letters:

"The reference letters should be signed, on headed paper of the establishment concerned. It should be written by someone who has overseen the work you have completed, so if the professor has overseen your work with the lab animals this would be appropriate.

The main thing is that the references confirm the dates/length of time you have worked there, but it would be useful if they also contain a brief description of your duties and confirmation that you conducted yourself in a satisfactory manner. We are mainly concerned with work experience which meets our requirement for 10 days of each type from the last 18 months. It is not necessary to provide older or additional references to this and doing so will not provide any benefit to your application."

Yup--this is exactly what I received as well!

Their e-mail to me:

The reference letters should be signed, on headed paper of the establishment concerned and confirm the date/length of time you have worked there. The work experience evaluation forms some of our Veterinary Nursing candidates use would not be appropriate in this instance.

Last edited:
Did you apply to Dublin? They might offer you a spot if you have a ton of hours.
?

I didn't apply to Dublin. I have a wife and child and there were much larger hoops to jump through in order to have them come and live with me in Dublin vs in the UK. I applied to glasgow and edinburgh, and a bunch of schools in the USA.

Where in Uruguay are you from? I lived in Buenos Aires for almost 4 years and loved visiting Uruguay!

I didn't apply to Dublin. I have a wife and child and there were much larger hoops to jump through in order to have them come and live with me in Dublin vs in the UK. I applied to glasgow and edinburgh, and a bunch of schools in the USA.

Where in Uruguay are you from? I lived in Buenos Aires for almost 4 years and loved visiting Uruguay!

Have you heard from American schools yet? Also, Edinburgh hasn't sent out any emails yet (stressing me out!). I'm from Montevideo, but I've been living in Miami for a long time now. I am also an older student (28) first time applying to vet school.

Yup--this is exactly what I received as well!

Their e-mail to me:

The reference letters should be signed, on headed paper of the establishment concerned and confirm the date/length of time you have worked there. The work experience evaluation forms some of our Veterinary Nursing candidates use would not be appropriate in this instance.

Hmm okay this is on top of our reference letters. So this summer I worked extensively in two small animal clinics, one more as a vet tech, and one more as a kennel assistant. Do you think bringing a letter from each of these employers would be sufficient? I have thousands of hours with horses, but I put that on hold a year and a half ago to dedicate my time to getting into vet school so I cannot get a letter for that... What are you guys bringing for reference letters for RVC?

Hmm okay this is on top of our reference letters. So this summer I worked extensively in two small animal clinics, one more as a vet tech, and one more as a kennel assistant. Do you think bringing a letter from each of these employers would be sufficient? I have thousands of hours with horses, but I put that on hold a year and a half ago to dedicate my time to getting into vet school so I cannot get a letter for that... What are you guys bringing for reference letters for RVC?

I responded to the email they sent me and asked if I could use a reference from prior to 18 months ago since I don't really have one for "other animal experience" that is recent. If approved, I'm planning on using letters from my professor for a lab that I took where I practiced animal husbandry on food animals.

I think those should be fine, however I would double check with RVC to make sure that those work for the "10 days in other animal environments" as well since I'm understanding yours would all fall under veterinary experience? Honestly, if they give you a hard time about that I would feel like that's unfair since you can be gaining animal experience WHILE gaining veterinary experience (but not so much vice versa, you know?).

I'm going to ask for references from the director of animal care at the wildlife hospital where I've been working, the director of animal care at a rabbit spay and neuter clinic where I volunteered, the veterinarian whom I shadowed at a different companion animal spay and neuter clinic (and where I'm currently volunteering), and a local ranch where I gained some large animal experience.

I feel like they should have made the instructions for the reference letters explicitly clear in the original interview e-mails since they're copying and pasting the same answers to everyone haha. Also, I feel like most veterinary schools accept our eLORs as proof of our time spent gaining experience? So I don't see why they would want us to bring ADDITIONAL letters unless they want to confirm we were honest when reporting our hours?

*Edit/new thoughts: Since they said "You only need to bring references to show the completion of 10 days veterinary experience and 10 days in other animal environments", then does that mean we don't need to bring in references for ALL past animal/veterinary experiences in the past 18 months IF they would be satisfied by just one veterinary clinic and one animal experience?

And just in case anyone didn't realize this when they first read it in the e-mail: RVC wants you to bring the original AND a photocopy of your passport, degree certificate/transcripts, and work experience references. So not JUST a photocopy of each.

Has anyone received an interview invite from RVC to interview in LA yet?

I'll be interviewing at Marina Del Rey, about ten minutes from LAX on 11/19 :)

Last edited:

Thanks for suggesting these!

I also poked around and found good reviews for: Multiple Mini Interview Mmi: Winning Strategies from Admissions Faculty by Samir P. Desai, and started reading that on Amazon Kindle Cloud reader while waiting for my other books to ship. It's a great read so far, and definitely makes the MMI seem less daunting (has lots of human medical school examples, but pertains to veterinary medicine as well). Here's the link (with spaces) if any of you are interested:

https: // www.amazon . com / Multiple-Mini-Interview-Mmi-Strategies/dp/1937978052

I'm not sure it ruined you--Glasgow has just become more and more competitive, particularly for North Americans, as more of us are applying to UK schools. You can always e-mail Joyce and ask her about your application. She's lovely, and i'm sure once she gets a chance she would do an application review.

I'm a bit of an old timer at this point-- I was applying back in 2008 (ugh), and was the last class to graduate before the curriculum change. I didn't have amazing scores (I think I was 3.4?), and both Dublin and Glasgow told me they wanted to build a class, rather than taking all the people with 4.0s. If I remember correctly, I didn't even start hearing about interviews until November/December.

Has anyone who has already interviewed heard anything from Glasgow? I believe they said we'll hear by the end of October, and that we'll be notified of our status no matter what.

I'm not sure it ruined you--Glasgow has just become more and more competitive, particularly for North Americans, as more of us are applying to UK schools. You can always e-mail Joyce and ask her about your application. She's lovely, and i'm sure once she gets a chance she would do an application review.

I'm a bit of an old timer at this point-- I was applying back in 2008 (ugh), and was the last class to graduate before the curriculum change. I didn't have amazing scores (I think I was 3.4?), and both Dublin and Glasgow told me they wanted to build a class, rather than taking all the people with 4.0s. If I remember correctly, I didn't even start hearing about interviews until November/December.

Apparently they picked our class for our flexibility and adaptability. lol The new first year curriculum is on it's third year now so they might want different things from their candidates vs when they admitted my year. Who knows the mysterious ways of admissions?

One advantage to Glasgow vs RVC is that class size at RVC is HUGE. Apparently there's also a pretty high attrition there as well.

Has anyone who has already interviewed heard anything from Glasgow? I believe they said we'll hear by the end of October, and that we'll be notified of our status no matter what.

I didn't recall hearing they would get back to us by late October, however I just assumed we would be notified in mid-February, after they are done with NY interviews (and same with other schools that spread out their interview dates and aren't rolling admissions). Also, from the Official Acceptances c/o 2020 thread, all who were accepted by the University of Glasgow were notified via e-mail on 2/5 :)

I didn't recall hearing they would get back to us by late October, however I just assumed we would be notified in mid-February, after they are done with NY interviews (and same with other schools that spread out their interview dates and aren't rolling admissions). Also, from the Official Acceptances c/o 2020 thread, all who were accepted by the University of Glasgow were notified via e-mail on 2/5 :)

Actually, they told me at the end of my interview to expect hearing from them by the end of October! They said if I don't hear from them by then, to assume that "no news is good news."

Actually, they told me at the end of my interview to expect hearing from them by the end of October! They said if I don't hear from them by then, to assume that "no news is good news."

Ahhhhhhhhh so they are sending out rejections by the end of this month then?! Literally don't feel like checking my e-mail for the next week or so now haha. Thank you for letting me know!

Apparently they picked our class for our flexibility and adaptability. lol The new first year curriculum is on it's third year now so they might want different things from their candidates vs when they admitted my year. Who knows the mysterious ways of admissions?

One advantage to Glasgow vs RVC is that class size at RVC is HUGE. Apparently there's also a pretty high attrition there as well.

Are you already a 3rd year???:oldman:

@shortnsweet
4th year now! I meant to say, the first year programme has been running for three years and it's going on it's fourth.

I don't know why people equate Glasgow being "easy" with not producing good, practicing vets. I can think of numerous successful alumni and researchers. I guess the youngins just don't know about James Herriot or Bill Jarrett - just to name a few.