UK med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krevelli

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey-lo kids,

Was wondering a bit about med schools in the UK - tried hitting the UCAS website (emphasis on hitting) with absolutely no luck whatsoever, so thought I'd touch base over da here.

Realizing full well that it's waaay too early to be considering this option, but what are the statistics on transfers within the UK to other med schools? How about within the EU? I'm in Sweden, so I assume that the curriculum would be pretty similar...? We have a five and a half year system - not as much PBL as I've heard you have in the UK.

Keep it fake,
K.

hey cool I can make an icon :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Transfers from one UK school to another UK school are VERY rare so it is unlikely you will be able to transfer from Sweden to the UK without repeating some if not all of the course. We had a student transfer to our med school after completeing 2 years at Charles University in Prague and he had to start again from the begining.

Spme unis have a transfer system built in to the course programme so students can transfer from pre-clinical school at one uni to clinical school at another, but that is part of their course structure and they generally do not take transfers directly from non-affiliated schools.

Basically what Kev said.

Transfers are vanishingly small - I know one person who has done it, and everyone was amazed that you could transfer!

That said, if your course is still pre-clinical/clinical, then you might be able to skip repeating the pre-clinical parts of the course.

Some schools have more PBL than others - Liverpool for instance is entirely PBl, we have hardly any here at Brum.

You'd have to contact individual med schools with details of the curriculum you've completed so far and see what they say... Incidentally, you'd have to promise to stay in the UK after graduating as well (you don't have to, or sign any paper. Just make sure you don't say you want to train here and then go somewhere else. At least not when applying :laugh: )