UK Medical Student Elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medstart108

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a uk medical student wondering if any medical student would accept a student for an elective between their 4th and 5th years (out of 6).

Generally, the time for most electives is in your final year i.e. your 6th year, however I may not have enough time to arrange an elective in the US during that time.

Would any US schools be willing to take a student in between their 4th and 5th years of school. The way UK medical schools are generally broken down is 3 years of pre-clinical and 3 years of clinical. So I would have 3 pre-clinical years and 1 clinical year under my belt at the time of my elective. I would likely be interested in IM and I would not have done my IM rotation at that time.

I would be looking to gain USCE for application to residency in the US and I will have written my USMLE Step 1 by then as well.

Members don't see this ad.

I can immediately think of one problem: Malpractice/injury insurance. This is required by clinics/hospitals in the US and is usually set up by the students medical school (usually with a pre-existing contract). I am not sure how you would do it as a UK student, but it will be your first hurdle.

I am supposed to be covered by malpractice insurance by the MDU, Medical Defense Union in the UK. They will cover malpractice for electives however they don't specify the amount they cover. My school does have an exchange connection with a few schools in the US. However, I'm mainly concerned that they won't accept students not in their final year.

http://www.themdu.com/for-students/your-elective/indemnity

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was applying for electives, a few years ago now, there were a couple of places that would take you in the more junior years but almost everywhere said final year students only. I only looked at "big names" though. Why are you saying you wont be able to do a US elective at the normal time?

When I was applying for electives, a few years ago now, there were a couple of places that would take you in the more junior years but almost everywhere said final year students only. I only looked at "big names" though. Why are you saying you wont be able to do a US elective at the normal time?

I'll be doing electives in Canada during my final year since I will be trying to match to Canada first. Do you still remember which places those were that were willing to take you outside of your final year?

Last edited:
I'll be doing electives in Canada during my final year since I will be trying to match to Canada first. Do you still remember which places those were that were willing to take you outside of your final year?

No, sorry, maybe somewhere in New York, I'm really not sure but there were definitely some.

I am supposed to be covered by malpractice insurance by the MDU, Medical Defense Union in the UK. They will cover malpractice for electives however they don't specify the amount they cover. My school does have an exchange connection with a few schools in the US. However, I'm mainly concerned that they won't accept students not in their final year.

http://www.themdu.com/for-students/your-elective/indemnity

Hey Medstart. Be careful. I thought I was covered by the MDU as well, but some places in Canada will not accept it because the MDU & MPS offers discretionary benefits, which is not the same as insurance.

Hey Medstart. Be careful. I thought I was covered by the MDU as well, but some places in Canada will not accept it because the MDU & MPS offers discretionary benefits, which is not the same as insurance.

Thank you so much for the information, in the end what malpractice insurance did you get?

Thank you so much for the information, in the end what malpractice insurance did you get?

I chose a place that let's you purchase insurance through the uni. This costs a few hundred dollars versus a few thousand from a commercial provider.

Reactions: 1 user