UK Medical student taking Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scottish Medical Student

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am an american who has done a bachelors in the UK and am now in my 4th year (out of 5) at a UK medical school. I am committed to moving back to the US and work and am just starting the process. Are there any UK medical students have gone through this process and can offer any advice. Or just any UK medical student that has taken step 1?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

What kind of advise are you looking for? You are so called US-IMG, meaning ECFMG is your way to apply for the Steps (like any other american, that decided to study abroad, either in Europe, or in Caribbean med schools). Do your best in terms of getting good scores, add some highlights to your applications for a residency, like doing research, or trying to get some US clinical experience. Try not to exceed 5 years after graduation, as many programs discriminate at this point. Your UK grades, my guess, won't mean a lot in terms of adding points to your CV, as they do for US med school graduates, unless your graduate with honors, meaning you really was on top of your class and you can put it in your personal statement). Otherwise it will be all about your personality during interviews. If you are likable by PD, you will get what you want. You still get better chances to match, than any other non US IMGs, because you don't need a visa, as you are a US citizen already, and this is because some programs won't deal with IMGs and immigration burden, so they simply don't even look into applications from IMGs that need to go through J1-visas etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
they simply don't even look into applications from IMGs that need to go through J1-visas etc.
QelDNW