UM and FAU- Would I be a Guinea Pig?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorsareneat

im a new kid
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All!

I was recently accepted to the University of Miami at FAU.

If I go there, I will be the first class to do all 4 years (including clinical) a FAU, although the degree would still be from UM.

What do you guys think? The program sounds pretty sweet (32 student class size, new facilities, new problem-based learning curriculum, board scores that surpass UM students at Miami), but is it too risky to be the first class to do clinicals there?

Thanks all!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello All!

If I go there, I will be the first class to do all 4 years (including clinical) a FAU, although the degree would still be from UM.

What do you guys think? The program sounds pretty sweet (32 student class size, new facilities, new problem-based learning curriculum, board scores that surpass UM students at Miami), but is it too risky to be the first class to do clinicals there?

No one has a frame of reference to advise you, so good luck. The cynic in me personally finds it disconcerting that on the school's website, the ONLY disadvantage they could find to cite was the inability to attend Hurricane games locally. :D http://www6.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/0,1770,2600-1;31823-3,00.html

Hello All!

better than the carribs, right?

yeah i agree...about that thing on the website :)

doctorsareneat, I think if you do decide to go to FAU, because you were impressed by the whole small class and personal attention, then it may very well be a good place for you. In terms of being a guinea pig... medical schools can be very attentive and meet your needs in a lot of ways, but where they might not, you can make it happen.

I personally think that because there are no residents in the hospital, you will get a LOT of hands on experience that you might not get at a bigger teaching hospital that is already established, so you can definitely take advantage of that aspect of the curriculum. In terms of clinicals...if you ever feel like you are not trained well enough, you can always approach faculty...it sounds like UM@FAU is the kind of place that would do anything for its students, and if you are worried about not seeing certain things in the clinics, just do an externship.

I highly doubt you would be a guinea pig, and I think that you can always make it happen if you are determined. Just be pro-active about your medical education and I'm sure you will get what you need from the school. I think it's like that at a lot of places. Like dr_90210 said, better than the carribean, and you get a degree from UM.