Um....Is the Detroit Mercy area safe? Tips for booking hotel?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toofh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently read a article about the city Detroit. The article describes Detroit as one of the most dangerous city you can go in the U.S (Gangs everywhere, no police intervention). This really scares me because I just receive a interview from Detroit Mercy. How dangerous is the Detroit Mercy area in general? What are some tips would you give for booking a hotel (inn) for my interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Get a hotel in the suburbs and it requires no knowledge of the city. It's the same as the suburbs anywhere else. I personally suggest south of Detroit, maybe off of Telegraph if you want typical middle class surroundings, yet reasonable prices.

Royal Oak has more in the way of night life.

The city itself is patchy as far as neighborhoods go. Some areas are great, some are very bad.

The school is pretty good. Lots of dental work to do in clinic, though I don't know where

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
West of Detroit, like Plymouth, Westland, ect also has lowish cost hotels and a decent area.

I personally like Plymouth as an option, but it'll cost you a few extra bucks for the hotel.

My opinion, don't book a hotel in Detroit, however there are a lot of areas around Detroit mentioned above that you can get, like Westland, Dearborn, Dearborn Heights, Taylor, all of these are very safe and good options. I know many dental students who go to Detroit Mercy and they don't live in Detroit, they live in these areas, but they drive there everyday and it works perfectly fine. HTH

UDM is on one of the toughest streets in Detroit. The surrounding area sucks balls.

That said, if you have the option of crossing the border to Canada, there are extremely cheap and safe hostels/motels in Windsor less than 15-20 minutes away.

Having lived in the Detroit area my whole life, I do not recommend you getting a hotel in Detroit whatsoever! I live in Dearborn which is about 15 mins from the school, suburbs are safe, but my honest opinion is DO NOT get a hotel in Detroit, what you see on TV or articles is true for the most part other than downtown... Congrats on the interview though, it is a real good dental school!

I lived in Rochester which is a suburb out of Detroit. There are truly a lot of great areas around there and a lot of money. But it's very spotty. Don't classify all of Detroit as being bad! Detriot Mercy is a private school and a great school not to mention. Good luck!