UMB vs UNC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kyeongkong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

sorry for another versus thread. I was fortunate enough to get offers from both schools.
I have been having trouble with deciding which school I like more. I really liked both schools and I know that both schools are equally great (as far as I know). So I was wondering if I can get any advice or opinion from fellow SDNers! Also, get some words from students who are already enrolled in either schools.

I am an international student (from S.Korea) and I have only lived in Boulder, CO. my entire time in the U.S. (except traveling). Because of that, I am considered OOS to both schools and unless I get green card or citizenship out of nowhere, I won't be able to apply for IS tuition anyway. OOS tuition is about the same for both schools. What I am looking for is difference in program, difference in the location of the school, etc.

Please feel free to give me any recommendations (in deciding school or what to look for in school), advice, or comment on either schools.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I really loved UNC. Chapel hill is beautiful, UNC is sparkling new with wonderful facilities and staff. Some of them even wrote text books. I hear a lot of good things about Maryland(didn't attend the interview).

I remember reading you could sign a contract to work in NC for a bit and get some tuition off. So maybe you should look into that too?

@Faux , do you mean this?:

"North Carolina Rural Health Loan Repayment Program

The State of NC has a loan repayment program, that will pay $70,000 plus taxes for a commitment of four years working in an underserved community in NC. Currently, most counties in NC are underserved. For more information, contact Ms. Wanda Greene at 919-733-2040 or[email protected]."

https://www.dentistry.unc.edu/academic/dds/loans.cfm

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to go to North Carolina now.

The State of NC has a loan repayment program, that will pay $70,000 plus taxes for a commitment of four years working in an underserved community in NC. Currently, most counties in NC are underserved. For more information, contact Ms. Wanda Greene at 919-733-2040 or[email protected]."

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this is fr NC residents only

@Faux @Incis0r

You might actually be thinking about the NC FELS loan. It's worth 14k a year. To "repay" the loan, the ONLY thing you have to do is practice in NC for however many years you receive it. They don't make you practice in a rural area or anything like that--so long as it's within the state, you're in the clear.

If you plan on practicing in NC, it's basically a free $56k. It's definitely a fantastic opportunity.

Thank you for the information :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@Faux @Incis0r

You might actually be thinking about the NC FELS loan. It's worth 14k a year. To "repay" the loan, the ONLY thing you have to do is practice in NC for however many years you receive it. They don't make you practice in a rural area or anything like that--so long as it's within the state, you're in the clear.

If you plan on practicing in NC, it's basically a free $56k. It's definitely a fantastic opportunity.

do you have to go to UNC for this? what if i graduate and am a resident of another state but considering practicing in NC?

Wanda's phone number has been disconnected. Emailed her, we'll see.

Wanda's phone number has been disconnected. Emailed her, we'll see.

Email also 86'd. Oh well, guess I'll just keep waiting on Obama to give an executive order lowering interest rates :lol:

do you have to go to UNC for this? what if i graduate and am a resident of another state but considering practicing in NC?

The requirements say, "Be a legal North Carolina resident and NC resident for tuition purposes." I know that UNC will let you switch to being an in-state student after your first year. :)
https://www.cfnc.org/FELS