UMD premed students! How did you like your school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blackjack7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry, not a premed here, just a high schooler looking at premed schools. I just wanted to hear current (maybe past) UMDCP students who did premed, and what they thought of their experience there. Was it good? It's my in state and I'm considering going. (Ultimately I'd like to choose between here and UVa, but that's not too important here.)

Members don't see this ad.

I am a current student at College Park (Maryland resident), and I also chose between here and UVA. I love the experience so far, but I'm only a freshman so I haven't been able to get much one on one exposure with my professors. Like any other large school the size has its ups and downs, but overall I love the school. There has been a lot of clinical volunteering exposure and plenty of ways to get involved. Great basketball team this year too, hahaha.

Good luck on your decision.

Does there seem to be a lot of volunteering/research opportunities on campus? Or is that mostly reserved for summer NIH work?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does there seem to be a lot of volunteering/research opportunities on campus? Or is that mostly reserved for summer NIH work?
It's really dependent on the professor or group you can get in with. A lot of the research positions require prereq classes that you can't take as a freshman. Definitely as you move up in your years at school more research opportunities will arise.

It's really dependent on the professor or group you can get in with. A lot of the research positions require prereq classes that you can't take as a freshman. Definitely as you move up in your years at school more research opportunities will arise.
Thanks for the reply! BTW, how did you use your Freshman year for EC's?

Thanks for the reply! BTW, how did you use your Freshman year for EC's?

I volunteered at adventist healthcare in takoma park, and I volunteered tutoring underprivileged kids. Also, there are some organizations on campus that are constantly sending out emails looking for volunteers so it's not too hard to find opportunities. As for clubs and other things like that, I really didn't look for any opportunities this year, but they're very relevant on campus.