UMD status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2EarIsHuman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was the University of Maryland a safety for you?

Do you have a decision on the site? I'm nervous because the site lists a decision being made but that the letter isn't available until Sunday or Monday.

My nerves are wrecked.

Members don't see this ad.

Mine says that a decision has been made, but I can't view it until Sunday or Monday either. I didn't even know to look until I saw your post! Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Where is this status located? Is it on the online app site?

Yes, if you log into your application and click on check application status, you will be able to view the decision letter. Good luck!

Ah, mine just says "application is complete".

It's rolling admissions right? My GPA wasn't that hot, maybe I'll hear from them later on.

I received my email saying to check my decision this morning, and was able to view the acceptance letter. Were you all able to check today?

How is the UMD program? I never visited, and I'm driving up from JMU to visit in 2 weekends. Pros and cons of the Maryland Audiology program?

Also, does anyone know when we would hear about financial aid status?

Yes, I was able to view it today too.
I've never visited either. I heard it's a nice school, but not in a really great area. I will probably try to schedule a visit over spring break.
I'm not sure about financial aid either.. I was kind of hoping it would say something in the acceptance letter! Sorry I can't be much help.

I don't know too much about the school, but I think it is in a nice, if not a little boring, suburban area. It is a few minutes outside of DC.

I've heard similar things-- great program, crappy area. It happens, and there's always commuting, which adds on gas but knocks off rent, so it's a trade-off.

As for financial aid, evidently the assistantship app priority deadline was in Jan., but FAFSA deadlines are the 15th if you've yet to complete it. That's all I've got.

I think I'm seriously considering UMD. What about you guys?

Shoot, I thought when you applied you were automatically considered for assistantships if you marked it off. I know some schools were like that, but I should of looked to see if it was separate for some. And I filed my FAFSA this weekend, so thats all good to go.

It's a good distance from DC, def not a few minutes.. more like an hour- an hour and a half. And I heard the same about the area, but I've heard housing is kind of pricey, but I bet if you look around enough you can find something reasonable and decent.

Does anyone know how large their program is every year? Where'd everyone else apply?

Gradschool 2012 you need to learn how to use google maps. It is only about 30 minutes by metro and about the same by car depending on traffic. Also it is about 40 minutes from Baltimore. The area is not super nice and it is a little pricey but you can find nice and affordable places if you do some looking. The program is usually in the 5-7 student range. There are funding opportunities both in the department and outside the department. While out of the department is not ideal all of the students have funding in some form. Definitely a program to put at the top of your list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gradschool 2012 you need to learn how to use google maps. It is only about 30 minutes by metro and about the same by car depending on traffic. Also it is about 40 minutes from Baltimore. The area is not super nice and it is a little pricey but you can find nice and affordable places if you do some looking. The program is usually in the 5-7 student range. There are funding opportunities both in the department and outside the department. While out of the department is not ideal all of the students have funding in some form. Definitely a program to put at the top of your list.

Really?! 5-7 students? They accept about half of applicants, based on EdFind data. It's a fairly decent program as well. Why do so many people pass on the program? Or is it a matter of just a few applicants?

Ok, it is a few miles from the BORDER of the District of Columbia, but certainly further from the center. As for the area, perhaps since I attended Temple University for my undergrad, I have a different concept of what a bad area is, but it seemed perfectly fine when I went trough there.

Ok, it is a few miles from the BORDER of the District of Columbia, but certainly further from the center. As for the area, perhaps since I attended Temple University for my undergrad, I have a different concept of what a bad area is, but it seemed perfectly fine when I went trough there.

map http://g.co/maps/bt42r

Yeah, I just got a letter saying I've been placed on the waitlist. Hopefully it works out.

Can one of you guys decline your acceptance for me? :p

Ha! Dusty, you remind me of my brother's dog. She's not happy with just one bone; she'll stick it at the back of her mouth and go steal another dog's bone, too! :)

Ha! Dusty, you remind me of my brother's dog. She's not happy with just one bone; she'll stick it at the back of her mouth and go steal another dog's bone, too! :)
I'm flattered. I think?

If I resembled any dog, it would have to be this one:

muscle-dog.png

the commute to DC really depends on WHERE in DC you are going. but don't think you'll get anywhere door to door in 30 minutes no matter how you travel unless there is no traffic or you don't have to make a transfer. DC has some of the worst traffic in the country and the metro really isn't that fast or frequent, also the college park metro station is not right on campus. however, it is definitely close enough to go out to DC on the weekends and such.

the area surrounding college park has super cheap housing compared to DC. it's DC housing that's expensive.

i think college park campus is beautiful and nice. it's a little college town up there too. it's cool.

that said i've been a washingtonian for 7 years and am totally biased that DC is better. :)