UMD vs UVA pre-med

Blackjack7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this the right forum for this?

I am looking for undergrad school for premed, and my top two choices are UMD and UVA. (also UCLA and UCSD but... money). I have gotten CP Scholars for UMD and Echols + College Science Scholars for UVA. Is one better than the other for premed?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like efle said, there are far more important things to consider, especially since these two schools have very different feels to them. I'd visit both if you haven't already. For what it's worth, I graduated from UMD in 2010 and loved my time there.

All things being equal, I'd go UVA. But the important thing is to get good grades wherever you end up attending

Yes, I haven't had too much of a different feel for them based on a couple visits each. I've gone on an in depth college visit at UMD recently, and will do the same for UVA (+overnight) o'er the weekend, and this will be the biggest factor of choice for me. However I just wanted to get some outside opinions as well while I was at it. Whether one school would have a competitive edge over the other come MedSchool app time, or whether one offers a better premed advising program, or whether one has better classes.

I think this might be better to ask in another section, but what is the benefit of having personalized counselling office letters from the University sent out to the med schools? UMD offers this, but UVa does not.

I personally would chose UVA. There not exactly a benefit of have a personalized letter. Some med schools do ask for them, but they are not required if your undergrad does not participate in that service. I think that going to UVA alone would be enough due to the reputation that it has.