UMDNJ Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
New year, new discussion goes here!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
oh man, that time already? first in i suppose :p

Definitely in my top 3. :)

...Why is this thread so quiet compared to the other schools?!

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking at my stats. My cum GPA is 3.82 sGPA 3.78 and my MCAT score is 23R. I'm an NJ resident. I really more than any other school want to get in umdnj-som. Does anyone from previous classes have an idea if i have a chance for an interview? I'm planning to retake the MCAT in Sept..hoping to increase my score, do you think I should seriously consider retaking it. Or since I've taken the exam three times already with no improvement, should i stick to the score I have?

Looking at my stats. My cum GPA is 3.82 sGPA 3.78 and my MCAT score is 23R. I'm an NJ resident. I really more than any other school want to get in umdnj-som. Does anyone from previous classes have an idea if i have a chance for an interview? I'm planning to retake the MCAT in Sept..hoping to increase my score, do you think I should seriously consider retaking it. Or since I've taken the exam three times already with no improvement, should i stick to the score I have?

Hey! I am kinda in the same boat as you. I took the mcat twice got a 22Q then a 24O. My gpa is a 3.76, sGPA is a 3.70. So my chances seem slim as qwell. I am preparing to take it a thrid time. u got a 23 three times? i dunno they usually say taking the exam three times is max. after that they start averaging ur scores, which sucks.I hate this exam....grrrrrrr

Are we supposed to wait for an email invite to submit secondaries??? Or can we just send them anytime after we send the primary? I'm confused... The website doesn't say anything about that.

Sent mine in yesterday. I'm hoping that everyone is waiting for the email and I'm the only applicant :) Would love to go here.

I think it's okay if you sent it off before the e-mail. I just received the email and it states:

"If you have already submitted the secondary application, please disregard this email message."

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's okay if you sent it off before the e-mail. I just received the email and it states:

"If you have already submitted the secondary application, please disregard this email message."

Called today, said to send it. I will mail in Saturday along with another schools. Good luck everyone.

Just a quick question about the supplement...

For the essay, I see two prompts and they say to limit the length to one page. Is it one page for each prompt? Or one page for both combined?

Thanks in advance!

I don't think they need even a half a page of why I want to be a DO. That is a lot.

I think that makes sense. Thank you, and good luck to everyone applying.

"Please complete your essay and include your responses to the following questions: (Please use font size 12 and limit your essay to one page. You may attach your essay to the application if additional space is needed.)"

To me it sounded like they wanted 1 essay answering both questions limited to one page. That's what I did and was accepted, but I don't think it really matters that much.

Does this school send out a secondary complete e-mail notification or should I just call?

just wondering what people think about using a few of the same phrases or sentences in my personal statement & secondary. my personal statement basically addressed why I want to be a DO and why it fits into my goals. I don't want to be redundant though. does anyone else feel the same way about these prompts?

just wondering what people think about using a few of the same phrases or sentences in my personal statement & secondary. my personal statement basically addressed why I want to be a DO and why it fits into my goals. I don't want to be redundant though. does anyone else feel the same way about these prompts?

I felt the same way, hence my comments above. I felt like I touched a lot on my goals in my PS. I would say go ahead and be redundant if you have to, give them what they want. It does not tell you NOT to repeat information. ;)

If it helps, when you think goals, think of what you want to be doing, not why you want to do it...if that makes sense. Get specific. That is what I will be doing.

On another note - I see no instruction on how to send this thing back! E-mail? Snail mail? I'm hesitant to call because I'm probably just missing the instructions and I don't want to look foolish! :D

Edit: I don't see a fee amount either. Am I missing some all important webpage?

Last edited:
I felt the same way, hence my comments above. I felt like I touched a lot on my goals in my PS. I would say go ahead and be redundant if you have to, give them what they want. It does not tell you NOT to repeat information. ;)

If it helps, when you think goals, think of what you want to be doing, not why you want to do it...if that makes sense. Get specific. That is what I will be doing.

On another note - I see no instruction on how to send this thing back! E-mail? Snail mail? I'm hesitant to call because I'm probably just missing the instructions and I don't want to look foolish! :D

I called them the other day and asked if it's okay to email the secondary application. They said they prefer receiving applications via mail... so you should mail your app :)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!! This was very helpful and I appreciate it!

To follow up on my above comments - all of that information I was looking for is in the last two pages of the application. Somehow the first file I downloaded had those pages missing. I re-downloaded and found them. Glad I did not end up calling! :D

I was talking to a student who interviewed at UMDNJ and she said the school was in a really bad part of town. Apparently there are barbed wire fences around the school. Has anyone else heard about this? It kind of dissuaded me from applying when I talked to the girl.

I was talking to a student who interviewed at UMDNJ and she said the school was in a really bad part of town. Apparently there are barbed wire fences around the school. Has anyone else heard about this? It kind of dissuaded me from applying when I talked to the girl.

I believe only the allopathic school is in Newark (The bad part of town). I'm pretty sure the Osteopathic school is in Stratford, which I know very little about. Probably a suburb.

The Osteopathic school is NOT in a bad part of town, and there are no barbed wires anywhere. I think someone was pulling your chain.

The town of Stratford, while not Picturesque is a little town in a line of little towns along Route 30 in South Jersey. If you get away from the main roads, there are tree lined streets and quiet neighborhoods. While you are a stone's throw away from Camden City, a very dangerous city, Stratford is not like that at all.

The school is safe, but like anywhere else in the world, you have to be vigilant with your property and yourself. To give you an idea, the UMDNJ police call the stratford campus, "The Country Club". Especially where you compare it to Newark (which is about 90 minutes north without traffic)

Anyone have thoughts on writing one essay to answer both questions or writing two smaller essays? I wrote one last year and obviously didn't get in!

Does anyone know whether UMDNJ has the minium mcat score requirement?

Anyone have thoughts on writing one essay to answer both questions or writing two smaller essays? I wrote one last year and obviously didn't get in!

Don't listen to my post here - read my post below! It is ONE essay.

Last edited:
Does anyone know whether UMDNJ has the minium mcat score requirement?

I think they combine your GPA and MCAT scores to reach a certain number. :smuggrin: No clue about the min Mcat though....

In staters probably have a different criteria....

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! I hope they accept us all!.......... a first year class of 3,000

I personally know people that have been accepted and are currently attending or just recently graduated with a lower score than that so I really don't think there is a hard and fast 'cut-off' so to speak; however, I think your chances of admission, even with a 24, are severely diminished barring some amazing circumstance, letter or rec, etc.

I wrote ONE essay. In the instructions, essay is singular...

Please complete your essay and include your responses to the following questions: (Please use font size 12 and limit your essay to one page. You may attach your essay to the application if additional space is needed.)

Limit your ESSAY to one page. Not "essays." Hopefully I was correct lol.

I wrote ONE essay. In the instructions, essay is singular...

Please complete your essay and include your responses to the following questions: (Please use font size 12 and limit your essay to one page. You may attach your essay to the application if additional space is needed.)

Limit your ESSAY to one page. Not "essays." Hopefully I was correct lol.

Well darn it! It looks like I'm wrong. I read "include your responses to the following questions" and immediately thought there there were two. My wife did not catch it either when she helped me proofread read it. Oh well! :laugh:

Well darn it! It looks like I'm wrong. I read "include your responses to the following questions" and immediately thought there there were two. My wife did not catch it either when she helped me proofread read it. Oh well! :laugh:

I'm sure it'll be fine haha. I don't think they would deny you an interview just because you wrote more!

Quick question:

If we don't have a pre med committee letter, we need letters from (and I quote from the secondary app) "two science faculty members."

Technically, I do have two science faculty letters. One is from my ochem prof and another is from a microbiology prof I did research under. For the research letter, I did get school credit for part of the duration of research.

I'll probably give them a call to check, but do any of you think they will accept this?

"If we don't have a pre med committee letter, we need letters from (and I quote from the secondary app) "two science faculty members."

Technically, I do have two science faculty letters. One is from my ochem prof and another is from a microbiology prof I did research under. For the research letter, I did get school credit for part of the duration of research.

I'll probably give them a call to check, but do any of you think they will accept this"

I had similar worries as I had several letters from docs, 1 M.D, 1 DO who went to PCOM, and one DO that graduated from UMDNJ SOM. I also had a letter from my graduate school advisor/professor but not two science faculty letters...I'm nontraditional and have been out of school working long enough that I believe they may have made an exception due to my clinical background. I really think that those two letters, the o-chem and micro professor will count perfectly for your two science professors. The fact that you did research under one is a bonus....

Today I had the pleasure of talking to Ms. Watkins who had a question about my application. She said that although the committee has not met yet she believes they'll be calling me in a few weeks for an interview....I'm pumped and hopeful as this is my number one school choice...So, my point is that if the rest of your application is largely solid, those letters are great....

does anyone know if they send a complete email?

for UMDNJ, it says we need 2 science LORs, which I have. However, since I'm an older applicant, I have a lot a other LORs from my volunteering. SHould I include all my LORs or would that look bad that I send more letters than what they requested?

Thanks for the help!

for UMDNJ, it says we need 2 science LORs, which I have. However, since I'm an older applicant, I have a lot a other LORs from my volunteering. SHould I include all my LORs or would that look bad that I send more letters than what they requested?

Thanks for the help!

send what was requested and maybe one more but not much after that. Discuss your volunteering at the interview.

I don't think they would decline your essay just because you wrote more/
I think everything will be ok

When did you submit your application? I submitted back in June I think and haven't heard anything.

Just call up the school. Everyone is nice there and they were very helpful when I called to check up on stuff. I mean, you are sending stuff in through the mail. Call and make sure it didn't get lost along the way.

From last year's thread it looks like interview invites come out right at the end of August.

Last edited:
Just call up the school. Everyone is nice there and they were very helpful when I called to check up on stuff. I mean, you are sending stuff in through the mail. Call and make sure it didn't get lost along the way.

From last year's thread it looks like interview invites come out right at the end of August.

Thanks. They got back to me with an e-mail from a week or so ago. I'm under review so looks like the season started. Good luck everyone!

what percentage of oos students are typically accepted here?

what percentage of oos students are typically accepted here?

I have no idea what the percentages are, but all UMDNJ schools favor in state students greatly. I don't think the SOM releases these numbers, but for the allopathic schools, about 10 OOS students matriculate in classes of about 175. This is out of 2500 OOS applicants, so the answer is - really really low.

The good thing about UMDNJ schools are that they allow in state tuition after one year, so it ends up being a deal if you do get accepted.