UMDNJ or UB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elephants

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I just got into both Buffalo and New Jersey, and I was wondering if any of you had any advice on which school to attend. Financially, they're about the same for me. Although I'm a NY state resident, New Jersey has offered me $5000 a year, and I can get residency after the first year.
Any impressions on either of the schools would be much welcome.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

UB has a great clinical program, one of the least expensive schools out there...100% board pass rate last year. Probably a much more reputable program...although I know little about NJ, maybe someone else can fill you in in that regard

UB has a great clinical program, one of the least expensive schools out there...100% board pass rate last year. Probably a much more reputable program...although I know little about NJ, maybe someone else can fill you in in that regard

I think even with 5,000, UB would still be cheaper since it's only 18,000 a year for in staters right?

Like Regmata said, Buffalo's program does have a long standing tradition and it's very well established. On the plus side, living in Buffalo is also very affordable and you get your own chair as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think even with 5,000, UB would still be cheaper since it's only 18,000 a year for in staters right?

Like Regmata said, Buffalo's program does have a long standing tradition and it's very well established. On the plus side, living in Buffalo is also very affordable and you get your own chair as well.

At UMDNJ, dean told us that students will have their own chair in 3rd and 4th years. Also, if op gets $5000 scholarship tuition's are about the par with UB. (UMDNJ's tuition is $23000)

At UMDNJ, dean told us that students will have their own chair in 3rd and 4th years. Also, if op gets $5000 scholarship tuition's are about the par with UB. (UMDNJ's tuition is $23000)

Buffalo can still be cheaper than that. The first year as an out of stater the total cost can be 60-65K then the remaining years as in stater can be 40-45K per year. That can come to about 200K or slightly less.

thanks for the advice guys :)
i'm definately thinking buffalo now

To be honest with you.. if the price difference is that small.. and you have family in NJ, and i assume you dislike cold snowy winters then I'd say stay at UMDNJ. But i have no idea how UMDNJ's school is clinically/didactically because those a#$'s didnt give me an interview. I can say UB is a very strong school in both those categorys. Good luck where ever you go! Oh and i also heard UMDNJ is in a not so good area of NJ.

Hands down without a second guess UB. UB has a great reputation, and their students are very happy. UMDNJ has a horrible reputation and is in a bad area of Jersey. UMDNJ has been busted twice in the last 3 years for various infractions including insurance fraud and I dont know what the other infraction was. But just shows you the type of school it is.

Actually it's quite easy to get in-state tuition at UMDNJ for your first year. All you have to do is give them proof of an apartment lease in NJ and register your car in NJ.