UMDNJ questions from incoming new students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You're the best! Yea lectures aren't for me

So your method sounds good and just supplement with books for shelf?

How much is the shelf worth? What's usually the break down of grades? Shelf, other exams, etc

I appreciate your help, little nervous

Members don't see this ad.

You're the best! Yea lectures aren't for me

So your method sounds good and just supplement with books for shelf?

How much is the shelf worth? What's usually the break down of grades? Shelf, other exams, etc

I appreciate your help, little nervous

Yeah, it's been 5 yrs now, but I remember using my method for the course exams and then studying the textbooks during the week before the shelf.

Again, it's been awhile, but I believe the shelf is worth between 20 and 30% of your grade, depending on the course. Grades are usually ~10% homeworks, ~65% course exams, and the rest is the shelf.

The shelf has a national curve which has an average of 70% with a std devi of 7-8%, so 80% is the ~90th percentile and 90% is the ~99th percentile (approximately). Anatomy doesn't curve the shelf at all, so you need to be able to take a hit going into the shelf in order to get honors. The highest anatomy shelf score in the class my year was 95% and she was the only person above a 90. Other courses usually bump the shelf to something reasonable.

It's possible to get 130% on the MGM shelf after the curve (I know someone that got 127% on it). So the shelf really has the potential to make or break you.

Don't be nervous. Grades aren't everything. Step 1 matters much more, but the best way to prepare for it is to work hard during your first 2 years.

Thanks a million, friend! I appreciate you taking time to advise us.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

I was wondering how much time do we get to pursue ECs in 2nd and 3rd years.
I am planning on doing some research in the Summer after MS1 but I would also love to participate in an EC in Haiti or in Operation Smile.

I guess the Summer after 2nd year gives you little time since that time is dedicated to studying for STEP1. Nevertheless, how about time continue research during our 2nd year? Is this possible?

How can I combine both research and another EC (such as work in Haiti for example) before applying to residencies?

Please advise.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I was wondering how much time do we get to pursue ECs in 2nd and 3rd years.
I am planning on doing some research in the Summer after MS1 but I would also love to participate in an EC in Haiti or in Operation Smile.

I guess the Summer after 2nd year gives you little time since that time is dedicated to studying for STEP1. Nevertheless, how about time continue research during our 2nd year? Is this possible?

How can I combine both research and another EC (such as work in Haiti for example) before applying to residencies?

Please advise.

2nd year is just like 1st year with the exception of the 2 months of Step 1 prep which you will not want to be distracted from, IMO. So whatever you have time for now, you should be able to continue through 2nd year.

For 3rd year, this will depend on a number of factors, namely what rotation you are on, where your rotations are, who your attendings are, and how much time you'll need to dedicate to your research. Generally the answer is yes: if you have good time management skills, you'll be able to continue your research.

Good luck!

Thanks, Sauce! Yes. Fully agree with you that Summer after MS2 is best committed to STEP1 prep. I guess I could continue during the MS2 school year with research but that would be only two half days/week....... which is not much time.

I suppose once you are in 3rd year, it's pretty much full throttle on rotations and clinical work, right? And the Summer after MS3 is to prep for STEP2, right?

In this case, the only major chunk of time I could dedicate to research and/ or Haiti would be after MS1.

Is this adequate for residency apps? I doubt I can get a publication from one Summer's worth of research. How bad is the impact of this on residency apps?

Thanks so much,
Best regards

I suppose once you are in 3rd year, it's pretty much full throttle on rotations and clinical work, right?

:confused:

"For 3rd year, this will depend on a number of factors, namely what rotation you are on, where your rotations are, who your attendings are, and how much time you'll need to dedicate to your research. Generally the answer is yes: if you have good time management skills, you'll be able to continue your research."

And the Summer after MS3 is to prep for STEP2, right?

Generally not. Most take it during the middle of 4th year.

Is this adequate for residency apps? I doubt I can get a publication from one Summer's worth of research. How bad is the impact of this on residency apps?

Depends on what residency you're shooting for. You'll probably want more if you're going for radonc, derm, ophtho, etc. With hard work, you can probably get a manuscript out in a Summer.

Hi All,

A 3rd friend from another med school in the northeastern region, informs me that their school assigns each student a residency advisor after they meet with the Dean to discuss their interests. Also, their school seems to hold various individual specialty info sessions that are very helpful in getting into the nitty gritty of applying for specific specialties (in answer questions about the importance of USMLE scores, # of LOR's to get, the need for research or away rotations, etc.).

Does UMDNJ also hold special info sessions for 3rd years and assign 3rd year students a residency advisor?

Thanks!

Hi All,

How did the Match day go today? Can any of you post some results? Thanks!:confused:

Yes we do. Every fall there is a non-credit elective called "Spanish in Medicine" that meets once a week. Students are separated into groups based on their level of fluency and it is very useful. In the spring, the "Medical Interpreter Training Program" is also offered for students who are fluent in a language and would like training in accurate medical interpretation. Hope this helps!

The Non-Credit Elective brochures for 2008 and 2010 (that i found online) state that there is only room for 50 students in the medical spanish course, and 50 students are anticipated to enroll. Do you know if many people are left out of the medical spanish course because of high demand and a lack of seats? Or is just about everyone who wants to take it let in?

The Non-Credit Elective brochures for 2008 and 2010 (that i found online) state that there is only room for 50 students in the medical spanish course, and 50 students are anticipated to enroll. Do you know if many people are left out of the medical spanish course because of high demand and a lack of seats? Or is just about everyone who wants to take it let in?

There's always more interest in the elective before it starts. There's no way that a quarter of the class will participate in this elective. You shouldn't have any trouble getting in.

I remember a yoga elective that was offered. At first, the spots were snatched up within an hour of offering it. In the end, they had to close it due to lack of interest.

Hi All,

I have some questions about the 3rd year. Those of you who have completed 3rd year rotations, could you please shed some light on the rotations for me?

• Do you get a choice of where you do your rotations or are these assigned randomly to us? I have heard about lottery for this.
  • Are some rotations within Newark, while others in Northern NJ or NY? Is this true?
  • Which participating hospitals are there for NJMS?
  • Does one know their assignment for the entire year way ahead? I am wondering if the locations are far apart, how it affects the location where you live? Are the dorms within driving distance for all rotations or do students stay in local apartments close to each rotation?
  • When do you get to apply for away rotations? Are there a select group of participating schools that accept students for away rotations or can we apply wherever we wish to go?

Thanks much, folks! Greatly appreciate your advice.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you get a choice of where you do your rotations or are these assigned randomly to us? I have heard about lottery for this.

It's a lottery. Rank your choices and hope for the best.

Are some rotations within Newark, while others in Northern NJ or NY? Is this true?

I didn't have any in New York. You could potentially have rotations at several hospitals throughout northern New Jersey.

Which participating hospitals are there for NJMS?

A lot. Just to name a few: UH, Morristown, Hoboken, Hackensack, St Barnabas, Beth Israel Newark, and South Orange VA.

Does one know their assignment for the entire year way ahead? I am wondering if the locations are far apart, how it affects the location where you live? Are the dorms within driving distance for all rotations or do students stay in local apartments close to each rotation?

You find out where you'll be about a week before you start the rotation. You'll commute to that place every day from your home, typically by car. It can be a pain if your rotation is far away, but they don't put you up anywhere.

When do you get to apply for away rotations? Are there a select group of participating schools that accept students for away rotations or can we apply wherever we wish to go?

You apply for away rotations at the end of your 3rd yr/beginning of 4th yr. You can apply to go wherever you want. The tricky part is arranging your schedule such that you don't end up having to take a bunch of vacation to take the away rotation. Different schools are on different 4-week block rotations. Let's say NJMS has a 4-week block starting July 1 and you want to do an away rotation at a place that has a 4-week block starting July 21. In that case, you have to either find a way to fill that 3 week period with rotations or take vacation. It can be tricky but people figure it out every year so it's not that bad.

Thanks Man!

By the way, I am also hearing another term 'audition rotation'.
This is same as the away rotation, right?

Guess, it doesn't make sense to stay in the dorms during the 3rd year then. right? What did you do? Did you select an apartment?

Thanks Man!

By the way, I am also hearing another term 'audition rotation'.
This is same as the away rotation, right?

Guess, it doesn't make sense to stay in the dorms during the 3rd year then. right? What did you do? Did you select an apartment?

audition rotation = away rotation

I was in the same apartment in South Orange for the first 3 years. No one place is really any better than the others since you don't know where you'll be. Most of your rotations will probably be at UH so the dorms aren't a bad choice (location wise).

One more quick question. When you get a rotation at Hospital X or Y, do they give you parking at that hospital? Many thanks!

The VA is actually in East Orange, but that's just as close. There is no need to live closer to a rotation as the furthest hospital (Morristown) from Newark is only about 30 minutes away, and there aren't very many slots there anyway.

To respond to the earlier match question, UMDNJ had a pretty strong match this year, as they do every year. 2 integrated plastics, 3 derm, 4 urology, 3 optho, 5 or 6 to ortho and rads respectively I think, 15-20 in surgery. Lots at big name IM, peds programs. They don't publish the list, but if you visit the school it is hanging on the wall outside the student affairs office.

Hi again,

By the way, how much vacation do you get after between your 2nd year and 3rd year?
I hear that it's a very short Summer which we will commit to studying for STEP 1.

Many thanks for your advice folks.:D

Last edited:
Hi again,

By the way, how much vacation do you get after between your 2nd year and 3rd year?
I hear that it's a very short Summer which we will commit to studying for STEP 1.

Many thanks for your advice folks.:D

I'm another member on this board who made this account to keep my anonymity. However I am an MS3 at NJMS so I wanted to answer a few questions.

First things first... Pharmacol, you need to relax. I get that some people are often neurotic by nature and need to know absolutely everything before entering medical school at every point in time, but the upperclassmen are VERY helpful and will answer your questions in person if you need to know something. Just a thought.

Secondly, regarding the answer to your question; DPPT ends sometime in mid-March, after which you have a 2-3 week Biostats and Epidemiology course which some people count in their boards study time (I did). After this course ends you have a total of 8 weeks of dedicated study time (all of April until the end of June) in which you have to take your Step 1 exam. I know of people who took it on the last possible date and left themselves a weekend between that and the start of Transition Two into 3rd year, but in my opinion that's neither necessary nor typical... often people take 6 weeks to study and give themselves up to 2 weeks off between the Step 1 and the start of 3rd year. We just got our board scores, I had approximately 2 weeks like most people of vacation, and I did well... as did many others.

Some people also studied in pieces throughout second year; anecdotally I know someone who used Gunner Training, which is a good program, but it's completely not necessary (I just used the 6 weeks of dedicated time + biostats). The incoming class of 2015 might however be more inclined to it since the preclinical curriculum is now being switched completely to Pass/Fail, so grades are (hopefully) going to be less of a push for many people.

Feel free to ask any more questions.

The VA is actually in East Orange, but that's just as close. There is no need to live closer to a rotation as the furthest hospital (Morristown) from Newark is only about 30 minutes away, and there aren't very many slots there anyway.

To respond to the earlier match question, UMDNJ had a pretty strong match this year, as they do every year. 2 integrated plastics, 3 derm, 4 urology, 3 optho, 5 or 6 to ortho and rads respectively I think, 15-20 in surgery. Lots at big name IM, peds programs. They don't publish the list, but if you visit the school it is hanging on the wall outside the student affairs office.

Also - Morristown is further but Hackensack has probably the worst route. I hate NJ-21.

Thanks JerseyT,
What is this Gunner training you are referring to?

By the way, I would def ask Seniors in person once my MS2 begins on Aug 15th and I am back in Newark. Not there right now. Therefore, the board helps to keep in touch with NJMS folks.

Last edited:
Thanks JerseyT,
What is this Gunner training you are referring to?

By the way, I would def ask Seniors in person once my MS2 begins on Aug 15th and I am back in Newark. Not there right now. Therefore, the board helps to keep in touch with NJMS folks.

Fair enough... just relax the talk about match results, residency apps, away rotations until it actually matters and you have any clue as to what you want to do as a doctor.

As for GT... well, google it; I didn't use it, but it's pretty popular on these SDN boards.

Side note...

I looked back earlier in this thread... Jesus there are some really bitter alums of this school. I don't like everything the administration has done either but they're not out to screw us over 99% of the time. And our clinical education is great, even if we have a somewhat dysfunctional teaching hospital full of incredibly lazy ancillary staff. Match rate this past year was 100% with about 10 people scrambling out of 170. Lots of Ortho, Rads, Derm (including one at the Harvard combined program, lol). So yes while this hospital loves to promote primary care, it's (1) not something to look down upon and (2) they don't really care what you do in the end, as it's entirely your choice and they help you out no matter what. Plus we've got famous faculty, not to mention the head of the AMA at our school (Dr. Carmel). Also it's pretty goddamn insulting to put down people for choosing primary care as their main choice (I'm not even interested in being a PCP and find that offensive).

Regarding the patient pop. of Newark... yeah they're a weird bunch. Some are the nicest people and most dedicated you'll ever meet... and some are a bunch of drug addicts/alcoholics who couldn't give two ****s about their health and walk out of the hospital in critical condition to get their drug fix. That's life. Learn to work in a hard situation and you'll thrive in an easier one, obviously. I definitely value the fact that we're here, even if it's frustrating at times.

Fair enough... just relax the talk about match results, residency apps, away rotations until it actually matters and you have any clue as to what you want to do as a doctor.

Pharmacol: just to clarify, your behavior is fine. There is nothing wrong with being curious and wanting to know what's ahead. Many would argue that hitting the ground running will give you a huge advantage when it comes time to apply to competitive specialties. In addition, your decision of specialty is something you'll live with for the rest of your life, so thinking about these things ahead of time is very important.

What I think jerseyt is saying is that, unfortunately, med students can be a judgmental bunch and keeping these things to yourself will probably be to your advantage. These message boards can be a good outlet for your questions, but try to keep your identity somewhat confidential. The good news is that this mentality will go completely out the window when these individuals get to residency and gain newfound respect for their co-residents that work hard and stay on top of things.

Match rate this past year was 100% with about 10 people scrambling out of 170.

You can't have 100% match if people are scrambling.

Lots of Ortho, Rads, Derm (including one at the Harvard combined program, lol). So yes while this hospital loves to promote primary care, it's (1) not something to look down upon and (2) they don't really care what you do in the end, as it's entirely your choice and they help you out no matter what. Plus we've got famous faculty, not to mention the head of the AMA at our school (Dr. Carmel). Also it's pretty goddamn insulting to put down people for choosing primary care as their main choice (I'm not even interested in being a PCP and find that offensive).

Regarding the patient pop. of Newark... yeah they're a weird bunch. Some are the nicest people and most dedicated you'll ever meet... and some are a bunch of drug addicts/alcoholics who couldn't give two ****s about their health and walk out of the hospital in critical condition to get their drug fix. That's life. Learn to work in a hard situation and you'll thrive in an easier one, obviously. I definitely value the fact that we're here, even if it's frustrating at times.

:thumbup:

Pharmacol: just to clarify, your behavior is fine. There is nothing wrong with being curious and wanting to know what's ahead. Many would argue that hitting the ground running will give you a huge advantage when it comes time to apply to competitive specialties. In addition, your decision of specialty is something you'll live with for the rest of your life, so thinking about these things ahead of time is very important.

What I think jerseyt is saying is that, unfortunately, med students can be a judgmental bunch and keeping these things to yourself will probably be to your advantage. These message boards can be a good outlet for your questions, but try to keep your identity somewhat confidential. The good news is that this mentality will go completely out the window when these individuals get to residency and gain newfound respect for their co-residents that work hard and stay on top of things.

You can't have 100% match if people are scrambling.

:thumbup:

Thanks for the correction about scrambling =/= matching. Didn't know that.

Re: being enthusiastic and trying to be proactive and whatnot... let me be clear that I have no problem with that. My issue is more that this is their last summer before what's more or less 2 years of long, hard work (followed by a rough 4th year fall and chill spring), so... they should relax. There's plenty of time, even if you're an ortho junkie who lives and breathes ortho like it's their life's blood. And asking lots of questions on the internet =/= hardworking proactive person, just neurotic IMO. But of course I wish Pharmacol all the best.

Welcome to class of 2015ers and their start of orientation! Have a good week and don't take med school too lightly once it starts! (prior first years/current 2014ers can attest to this).

Hi Folks,

I hear that the AOA requirements vary from school to school.
Could any of you post UMDNJ's current requirements for AOA?

Thank you,

junior aoa = all honors in 1st and 2nd year (max of 16)
senior aoa = based on ranking (junior aoa + senior aoa = 1/8 of total class size)
http://www.alphaomegaalpha.org/how.html
the concern is that grading since c/o 2012 has become too lax and a lot of students are therefore attaining all honor grades. it will only be time until step 1 scores are used to determine aoa selection.

also, from the looks of things, it seems that pharmacol90 will match well (already getting info and such as a first year). i had no idea about aoa until the middle of first year. pharmacol90, i know some people may tell you to relax, but what you're doing is good; you'll be way ahead of the game. let me drop you another piece of advice: start research now and get published often. it doesn't matter if it's basic science or case reports, just get published (this will matter as much as aoa and step 1). also, no need to join a bunch of student groups or doing those non-credit electives; i would, instead, just join a couple of community programs (eg. pinacle) and focus the rest of your time on publishing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
senior aoa = based on ranking (junior aoa + senior aoa = 1/8 of total class size)
http://www.alphaomegaalpha.org/how.html
the concern is that grading since c/o 2012 has become too lax and a lot of students are therefore attaining all honor grades. it will only be time until step 1 scores are used to determine aoa selection.

also, from the looks of things, it seems that pharmacol90 will match well (already getting info and such as a first year). i had no idea about aoa until the middle of first year. pharmacol90, i know some people may tell you to relax, but what you're doing is good; you'll be way ahead of the game. let me drop you another piece of advice: start research now and get published often. it doesn't matter if it's basic science or case reports, just get published (this will matter as much as aoa and step 1). also, no need to join a bunch of student groups or doing those non-credit electives; i would, instead, just join a couple of community programs (eg. pinacle) and focus the rest of your time on publishing.

Grading has become anything but lax, now that they're switching to a Pass/Fail system for the first two years. Under this system your overall class rank and competitiveness for AOA is determined by your numerical grade within each class (which is in a way a more fair system, but definitely tougher).

Incidentally, Pharmacol, while being AOA can only help and not hurt you, it's not the end of the world if you're not AOA either. Many, many people match into fields like Ortho, Radonc, Anesthesia, Ophthalmology, Urology, etc. without being AOA - in fact I'd say most from NJMS have been able to. It may affect whether you're as competitive for the very top programs, but speaking as someone who is thinking of going into a very competitive specialty, I've already spoken to the chairs of those fields at UH--and they all seem to agree that despite my not being AOA/honors in everything, I should still be fine. What do you want to match into anyway?

And while publishing and all that is good and dandy during your second year, it is to your benefit to do well in your classes (especially DPPT) and LEARN what you're taught so that it makes your life easier when Step 1 rolls around. Do not take on more than you can manage if it means sacrificing your grades and Step 1 prep. More than anything else, your Step 1 score is what makes you the most competitive for residency programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Grading has become anything but lax, now that they're switching to a Pass/Fail system for the first two years. Under this system your overall class rank and competitiveness for AOA is determined by your numerical grade within each class (which is in a way a more fair system, but definitely tougher).

Incidentally, Pharmacol, while being AOA can only help and not hurt you, it's not the end of the world if you're not AOA either. Many, many people match into fields like Ortho, Radonc, Anesthesia, Ophthalmology, Urology, etc. without being AOA - in fact I'd say most from NJMS have been able to. It may affect whether you're as competitive for the very top programs, but speaking as someone who is thinking of going into a very competitive specialty, I've already spoken to the chairs of those fields at UH--and they all seem to agree that despite my not being AOA/honors in everything, I should still be fine. What do you want to match into anyway?

And while publishing and all that is good and dandy during your second year, it is to your benefit to do well in your classes (especially DPPT) and LEARN what you're taught so that it makes your life easier when Step 1 rolls around. Do not take on more than you can manage if it means sacrificing your grades and Step 1 prep. More than anything else, your Step 1 score is what makes you the most competitive for residency programs.

interesting. i wonder how pass/fail will affect how people do on step 1.

you can def match into a competitive specialty without aoa, but probably not a competitive specialty at a competitive program. there are exceptions, but these individuals had a lot of research.

i had 3 publication at the end of second year; so, definitely doable. Then again, make sure you are on top of your classes first.

.... speaking as someone who is thinking of going into a very competitive specialty, I've already spoken to the chairs of those fields at UH--and they all seem to agree

As a general reference for others, it's a better idea to talk to the program director first regarding one's competitiveness.

I just want to add that in recent years there has been at least one person who honored all basic sciences and did not get AOA due to too many honoring all classes. Of course all of this is moot with percentages being used instead of Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail. Anyone else amused by the irony of pass/fail being more cutthroat than the old graded system?

being the recent past president of aoa, i can say that there has been no movement in changing how aoa is selected under the p/f curriculum. it will be interesting if they decide to use a level grade whereby all those scoring above a set mark will get into aoa or just select the top 1/8th (1/2 of which can be junior aoa). the later is more likely.

Even if they divulge only pass/fail ratings, I am sure they can keep a track of the marks or % for each student in Registrar's or Dean's office. Ultimately, they need the marks or % for student rankings, don't they?

Even if they divulge only pass/fail ratings, I am sure they can keep a track of the marks or % for each student in Registrar's or Dean's office. Ultimately, they need the marks or % for student rankings, don't they?

As a second year your quintile is determined by your H, HP, P or F grades (i.e. H = 4, HP = 3, P = 2, etc) and then they make an average of it weighted based upon credits the class is worth or something, much like a GPA. Whether you received a 99 or an 89.5 an honors is worth the same, in your case. Not so for the incoming students.

I don't know how I feel about the new kids getting the P/F system. On the one hand it probably is more fair and will make things like AOA selection easier, but in terms of how much more cutthroat they're going to be for every small point... meh.

true.

at the end of the day, aoa may get you an interview, but i think solid research will get you the position.

Thanks folks. But I was under the impression that in addition to the H, HP,P grades, they also kept track of class rank as well, right?

Thanks folks. But I was under the impression that in addition to the H, HP,P grades, they also kept track of class rank as well, right?

That's right. But up until now, they have been able to use the H/HP/P (not the numerical grade) to determine these. Considering that each course is worth a different number of credits, these are adequate to differentiate the student body (there aren't as many ties as you might think).

But what about all students who get Honors in all courses? How would they rank between them?

this issue has not arisen in recent years.

well, i resided over the elections this year and last year. something may happened prior to that, but i don't think so.

I can pretty much agree with most of what the above poster has said about umdnj-njms.

The curriculum has been revamped heavily several times since 2004 and it still is chock full of bull**** and waste of time classes. Thankfully they changed the biggest b.s. class (physician's core) into pass/fail and they got rid of the DO running it thank god.

The admin is less than worthless when it comes to following up on requests for help/assistance with clinical rotations & residency applications.

We have gone through 3 deans of students in the last 4 years. The last one, the peds surgeon I did not hear too many good things about but I never had to deal with him. He resigned in disgrace amid a lawsuit alleging unethical behavior or something, he's gone.

Feedback on classes/modules falls on deaf ears mostly, as does the ridiculous increases in tuition. We students have to pay for all the rampant corruption that has made our hospital/school a laughingstock. Google the UMDNJ scandal sometime. We just got rid of a federally mandated auditor last year, it’s pathetic.

Several of our better rotation sites are being diluted with students from NYCOM, Touro, and St. Georges. I don't know if it's a money issue (UMDNJ won't pony up the dough) or if the hospitals are freezing us out. Either way we students suffer. You'll have the same experience whether IMG or DO students are there with you but to lose spots in our own neighborhood, that's unbelievable.

Last year’s class was a rough one. They had a large portion (6%) not even make it to the clinical years, and then another 10% of that didn’t match initially. If you also look at the match list, many students chose to stay in house in programs we are terrible in (gen surg, peds). When I say terrible I do not necessarily mean you'll get no good experience but the experience will be terrible. From what I've heard, this can be directly attributed to many students not knowing how to rank their programs properly. This is a result of no feedback/support from the school.

To answer someone else's Q. I am a lifelong NJ resident who grew up in Newark, attended k-12 here, went to TCNJ, and then came back to Newark for med school. Newark has come A LONG, LONG WAY in the last 10 years. There are still plenty of bad spots but it is a world apart from what it was. The recent increase in crime can largely be attributed to the crappy economy, which hits an already economically depressed city.

Why did I go here? Like the above poster said, it was cheap.

However, there are a surprising number of OOS students here for a state school (10% of each class almost)

Students in New Jersey Medical College are not always very kind to their fellow students.
Life and studies are quite stressful and if you are not street smart and avoid confrontation they are likely to gang up and bully you till you want to kill yourself. You have to be mean to survive here. If they dont approve of you they can make your life a living hell.
Complaining to authorities is not an option.

I think the laws of Nj may be directly proportional to the number of bullying cases that happen here. I wish there were similar actions you could take here as in UK for example.
http://www.bma.org.uk/employmentandcontracts/morale_motivation/harassintimvicbullyingmsc.jsp
There is a code of silence in which all spectators to a bullying or harrasment incident will side with the popular bully and not side with the victim. These people are equally responsible for being a partner in crime because bullying and harrasment in medical schools should not be tolerated by those who want to become doctors and help humanity and not increase human sufferring. This is not a joking matter to be taken lightly.

Hi All,

How important were the NBME practice tests in STEP 1 prep? I am hearing conflicting input on these at the school. Right now, I am prepping using FA, UWorld, and USMLERx. Is this sufficient?

How critical are the NBME practice tests? They are $50 each! Please advise.

Those are the best resources. UWorld is the absolute must. USMLERx is simplistic but has most of the high yield info.

For me, the paid tests were an excellent gauge of my performance. I took one every 2 weeks until the real thing and it rose predictably each time.