UMDNJ questions from incoming new students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks Sauce! In that case, I will pay for the NBME tests and buy at least a few. I hear that the earlier ones are based on the old STEP1. On SDN, some are recommending 5, 6, and 7. I will try and take at least these. It's $50 each though. 8-(

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, Sauce. I just heard that there was a 280 in the class of 2012. Haven't heard of anyone getting more than 280 so far. Perhaps 280 may be the max for NJMS then. Thanks!
Dont think so, highest I heard for c/o 2012 was a 270 something.

And do u really care that much?

Dont think so, highest I heard for c/o 2012 was a 270 something.

And do u really care that much?

yeah, I mean, we all know who it is who got that particular score

also, bump this thread b/c it seems like a good resource (minus all the crazy students) for anyone who has questions about NJMS.

Agree with you JT. I think some of the seniors who used to post tips on this thread have all graduated and moved on to residencies. Hardly any alumni left to advise the newbees any more.

How is your residency apps process progressing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with you JT. I think some of the seniors who used to post tips on this thread have all graduated and moved on to residencies. Hardly any alumni left to advise the newbees any more.

How is your residency apps process progressing?

Going okay. Can't complain; stressful for everyone of course.

I like NJMS for what it's worth; I think we like to complain and moan a lot about the hospital and the school and whatever but we get a damn good education here.

Reactions: 1 user
How is the merger with Rutgers changing things?

As far as I know, not that much for the everyday life of students. There are a few things though. The school is getting a ton more money thanks to being part of the Rutgers system, and the NIH funding has shot up. IMO, this can only be a good thing. I have to read more about it when I get the time, but I haven't seen any real negatives. The only thing I'm uncertain of is how the buyout of University Hospital by a private company is going to go (last rumors were that the Barnabas Health system was going to buy it, but I have heard nil on that front).

As far as residency programs go, I think it'll be a good boost - even having the Rutgers name looks good (this prob will apply for RWJ as well). The up in NIH funding is prob a good thing, since that means more research for the hospital = more opportunities for residents = more fellowships.

Also, new applicants - PLEASE don't be afraid to ask new questions (or PM me).

as far as i know, not that much for the everyday life of students. There are a few things though. The school is getting a ton more money thanks to being part of the rutgers system, and the nih funding has shot up. Imo, this can only be a good thing. I have to read more about it when i get the time, but i haven't seen any real negatives. The only thing i'm uncertain of is how the buyout of university hospital by a private company is going to go (last rumors were that the barnabas health system was going to buy it, but i have heard nil on that front).

As far as residency programs go, i think it'll be a good boost - even having the rutgers name looks good (this prob will apply for rwj as well). The up in nih funding is prob a good thing, since that means more research for the hospital = more opportunities for residents = more fellowships.

Also, new applicants - please don't be afraid to ask new questions (or pm me).
+1

Congrats to my 4th year peeps for having the most baller match results in the past 10 years. Huge numbers of people going to top tier programs in surgery, medicine, subspecialty surgeries, peds, and many more.

And a big F you to the haters

That's awesome to hear- Are there any NJMS match lists going around yet?

xaphelion said:
UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School
NJMS posts their match lists online pretty late compared to other schools (considering many schools post their lists publicly online on match day). Expect it to show up on the website in a few weeks...

The school has a bulletin board outside of the Student Affairs office in which the students can manually write-in where they matched.

I compiled these voluntary responses to make an unofficial match list.

Anesthesia (11)
Brigham and Women's (Harvard)
Columbia NYP (2)
NJMS
Maimonedes
Mt. Sinai
St Barnabas
St Luke's Roosevelt
UCSF
UIC Chicago
UPenn

Cardiothoracic Surgery (1)
UPitt

Dermatology (3)
Einstein
NJMS
Miami

Derm / Medicine Combined (1)
Georgetown

Emergency Medicine (11)
Baystate
Cooper
Lincoln
North Shore LIJ
NYP (Cornell/Columbia)
Staten Island
St Luke's Roosevelt (3)
SUNY Downstate
UPenn

ENT (5)
Mt Sinai
New York Eye & Ear
NJMS
NYP (Cornell/Columbia)
Temple

Family (1)
AnMed (South Carolina)

Medicine (42)
Cooper Univ Hospital
Cornell NYP (2)
Danbury
Einstein / NY Beth Israel (2)
Einstein / Montefiore (4)
Georgetown
Icahn - Elmhurst
Jefferson (3)
Maryland (5)
Miami
Mt Sinai
NJMS (8)
North Shore LIJ
RWJMS
Stanford
Temple (4)
UT Southwestern
Vanderbilt
Virginia Commonwealth
Wash U (Barnes Jewish)
Wisconsin

Neurosurgery (6)
Albany
Case Western
Cincinnati
Cornell NYP
Jefferson
Methodist

Ob/Gyn (5)
Mt Sinai
Reading
St Luke's Roosevelt
Temple
Wayne State University

Ophthalmology (4)
Columbia NYP
NJMS
NYU
UCSD Scripps

Ortho (6)
Jefferson
NJMS (3)
NYMC Westchester
UC Irvine

Pathology (4)

Beth Israel Deaconess (Harvard)
Drexel
Einstein / Montefiore
UCLA

Pediatrics (10)
CHOP
East VA
Einstein / Jacobi
Einstein / Montefiore
Jefferson
Maryland
North Shore LIJ (2)
St. Christopher's
Tufts

Plastic Surgery (1)
NJMS

PM&R (10)
Med College of Wisconsin
Mt Sinai (2)
NJMS Kessler (2)
RWJMS JFK (2)
UPenn
UPitt
UT Southwestern

Psych (10)
BU
Cornell NYP
Einstein / Beth Israel (2)
Einstein / Montefiore
Harvard Longwood (2)
Maryland
North Shore LIJ
Texas

Radiology (3)
Miami
Vermont
UC Irvine

Rad Onc (1)
RWJMS

Surgery - General (10)

Cooper
East Carolina
Jefferson
Nassau
NJMS (2)
North Shore LIJ
NYU (2)
Syracuse

Urology (4)
Brown
Jefferson
NJMS
UPenn

Vascular Surgery (1)
Mt Sinai

Total listed here = 140. Which means that ~30 are missing on this self-reported list.

Enjoy.

Some highlights:
- A lot matched into competitive surgical subspecialties as mentioned before
- Radiology was not popular this year (NJMS almost always has ~10 go into Radiology every year)
- Medicine, as always, dominates

Courtesy of xaphelion. NJMS always takes forever posting their match list. Keep in mind this is a self-reported list.

Thanks for capturing the match info, CRD. An awesome match. Way to go, NJMS!

Courtesy of xaphelion. NJMS always takes forever posting their match list. Keep in mind this is a self-reported list.

I have posted an updated list in the Match List thread on the main Allo forum page.

Worth noting that in pretty much every specialty we matched a number of students to top tier or top-middle-tier schools. Our medicine match was extremely strong this year, as was our surgical subspecialty match.