UMDNJ Vs Rutgers MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mph2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an international student..can anyone plz tell me if Rutgers is a part of UMDNJ ...if not which is better...

UMDNJ seems to have three diff schools..which is the best for MPH -EPi
Newark/Piscataway/Stratford ?

Plz help me out to pick up one.... i don't have any preference for location etc..as I don't know about these places

Members don't see this ad.

umdnj and rutgers mph are one and the same, just different locations. one in newark, one in new brunswick and one in camden. I got into umdnj but i decided but it was disorganized as hell. Montclair state university just approved and started an MPH program. I currently go there, and the faculty and courses are incredible. I work with the health promotion department on campus and just after being within the program for a semester, they hooked me up with a job at this hospital and im getting paid pretty well and will make more when i graduate.

Stay away from Newark. It's not terribly safe. At all. Same for Camden.
New Brunswick/Piscataway is your best option IF you really want to go to UMDNJ.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey MPH2010 - I went to Rutgers for my undergrad and majored in public health. Yes, Rutgers and UMDNJ are pretty much the same school. However, UMDNJ is the one that offers a masters degree in public health.

Someone mentioned that Camden and Newark aren't safe locations and as a native NJ resident I can vouch for that. However, most public health schools are in neighborhoods that aren't fantastic. I'm at Columbia right now and I'd happily walk through Newark and feel safer than I do in the part of NYC that I'm in. Camden is honestly not a great place to walk around though and while the Rutgers-Camden campus is safe, the area around it likely isn't.

Let me know if you have any other Rutgers/UMDNJ questions - I'd be happy to help.

I am an international student..can anyone plz tell me if Rutgers is a part of UMDNJ ...if not which is better...

UMDNJ seems to have three diff schools..which is the best for MPH -EPi
Newark/Piscataway/Stratford ?

Plz help me out to pick up one.... i don't have any preference for location etc..as I don't know about these places

hey jkatpp, what program are you in columbia? how is it? i plan on applying to columbia DrPH but they dont seem to have a health policy and management, NYMC and UMDNJ do tho

Hey, I'm in the Dept. of Sociomedical Sciences. I like it - but in retrospect I enjoyed my biostat, env. health and epi classes much better than the SMS stuff.

There is a health policy & mgmt dept. here at Columbia and they are pretty highly ranked. Check it out on the Mailman website.

hey jkatpp, what program are you in columbia? how is it? i plan on applying to columbia DrPH but they dont seem to have a health policy and management, NYMC and UMDNJ do tho

they have a health policy MPH but not a DrPH right? how long is the sociomedical DrPH track?