Umes c/o 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nditebeck

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone:
I am excited about UMES and will be applying for the 2011 cycle. This thread is for the 2011 applicants to share amd/or exchange information and ideas. I hope its can help answer applicants questions. Lets get the ball rolling guys. Good luck to every applicant. I know UMES has only 60 places but i wish every one applying could get a seat (How possible is that?)

Members don't see this ad.

Did you go to the open house yesterday?

i ♥ pharmacy;10194456 said:
Did you go to the open house yesterday?
Nope. I can't do any open houses now. I am pretty tight with PCAT, regular school work and my job. I looked at the info from last year's open house and i hope the post this year's on their website.
I LOVE UMES!

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope. I can't do any open houses now. I am pretty tight with PCAT, regular school work and my job. I looked at the info from last year's open house and i hope the post this year's on their website.
I LOVE UMES!

I'm sure you'll be fine!! It is awesome program. If you have any questions you can ask us! I'm a SP-1 here now!!

YAY JUST got my interview invitation via phone. November 18th, here i am

I GOT my interview invite via telephone yesterday, my interview will be on november 18th, good luck to you, hope you hear good news from you, i'm preparing for my south university interview on november 5th now.

Hey everyone:
I am excited about UMES and will be applying for the 2011 cycle. This thread is for the 2011 applicants to share amd/or exchange information and ideas. I hope its can help answer applicants questions. Lets get the ball rolling guys. Good luck to every applicant. I know UMES has only 60 places but i wish every one applying could get a seat (How possible is that?)

No Idea, never interviewed for admission before. What are your stats like?

Unlike most people in this forum with really great pcat scores, pharm experience and all, i'm just a regular applicant... 3.5 GPA, BS Medical Technology, never worked as a pharm tech, currently work as a Clinical Lab Scientist at a hospital, August pcat 45 waiting on october pcat score :xf:

there is my application status out of all the 3 year accelerated programs i applied to:

South University-Savannah-interview 11/5
University of Maryland Eastern shore-interview 11/18
Sullivan University-still waiting
Pacific university in oregon-still waiting
LECOM-ERIE-still waiting
MCPHS-Worcester-hold until fall grades.

I think like 2nd week of November!!

Does anyone know whether the interview will be closed or opened file? I heard that some pharmacy schools, once you get an interview invitation, your chance of getting accepted is the same as the rest who were invited. (regardless of your GPA and PCAT score etc).
Does this policy apply to UMES?
Also, where can i find a good threat on UMES interview?

Thank you all

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know whether the interview will be closed or opened file? I heard that some pharmacy schools, once you get an interview invitation, your chance of getting accepted is the same as the rest who were invited. (regardless of your GPA and PCAT score etc).

Thank you all

Hey!! Congrats to all that have been invited for an interview. Hope to see you all here in the fall and good luck tomorrow!! Any questions regarding p1 you can ask me! Good luck again!

Thank you all

You won't be able to find any threads about the actual interview (& questions) as we were required to sign a confidentiality agreement. If anyone has any questions about the actual program, newdoctor and I will be more than happy to provide our comments!

Also an SP-1 at UMES, I cannot give specifics due to the agreement I signed.
However I can tell you that I interviewed at more than one school, and was accepted there and at UMES.
I prepared for both interviews the same way. If you do a bit of research you will find that most schools will do things about the same.
So remember look at the SDN school specific information for all the schools to which you applied.
this will give you a general picture of how the interview is structured. In some cases more than others.
Also talk to fellow students who you may know who get interviews(if willing to discuss).
Clearly you should know that
1. you are being judged the moment you arrive on campus.
2. 1st impressions are important.
3. Pharmacy school is a job, treat the interview as such!
4. know you will meet with admission people, and will probably be interview by associate deans, and other faculty. These meetings usually are 30-40 min.
5. As to whether the interview is open or closed file ( do not worry), you will still need to answer questions.
6. for an open file- know your transcripts, and be ready to explain in you dropped a pre-req, or got a C in something. You may be asked to explain less than stellar grades.
You also may be asked about the positive things in your file, be ready to talk about that as well.
The open file to me is easier than closed.
7. Remember you know your experiences, strengths, and weaknesses. You will be asked about ALL of them!
8. In the closed file "canned" questions interviews do the best you can! This is where SDN data is handy, itwill give you an idea of possible questions.
9. I compiled a question list based on 5-6 schools with about 45-50 questions on it. I had friends grill me. It helped.

best of luck...I love UMES SOP...GO HAWKS

Also an SP-1 at UMES, I cannot give specifics due to the agreement I signed.
However I can tell you that I interviewed at more than one school, and was accepted there and at UMES.
I prepared for both interviews the same way. If you do a bit of research you will find that most schools will do things about the same.
So remember look at the SDN school specific information for all the schools to which you applied.
this will give you a general picture of how the interview is structured. In some cases more than others.
Also talk to fellow students who you may know who get interviews(if willing to discuss).
Clearly you should know that
1. you are being judged the moment you arrive on campus.
2. 1st impressions are important.
3. Pharmacy school is a job, treat the interview as such!
4. know you will meet with admission people, and will probably be interview by associate deans, and other faculty. These meetings usually are 30-40 min.
5. As to whether the interview is open or closed file ( do not worry), you will still need to answer questions.
6. for an open file- know your transcripts, and be ready to explain in you dropped a pre-req, or got a C in something. You may be asked to explain less than stellar grades.
You also may be asked about the positive things in your file, be ready to talk about that as well.
The open file to me is easier than closed.
7. Remember you know your experiences, strengths, and weaknesses. You will be asked about ALL of them!
8. In the closed file "canned" questions interviews do the best you can! This is where SDN data is handy, itwill give you an idea of possible questions.
9. I compiled a question list based on 5-6 schools with about 45-50 questions on it. I had friends grill me. It helped.

best of luck...I love UMES SOP...GO HAWKS

hey,i'm COMing to interview with UMES ON thursday 11/18:xf:

I hope it goes well for you! Post up and tell us how you liked the school, faculty, etc.
pharmDman

I hope it goes well for you! Post up and tell us how you liked the school, faculty, etc.
pharmDman

i think it went well, the faculty members were nice and professional. beautiful campus. fingers crossed now:xf:

I JUST found out my october pcat score, this is my october score versus august score. My august scores are in parenthesis. I'm worried about my reading score now. will they deny me because of low reading score despite all other scores are good?

verbal: 58 (58)
biology:76 (71)
reading: 9 (10)
quantitative: 59 (39)
chemistry 53 (58)
composite 47(43)

I know my reading score did not improve and it's really bad. But i improved 20 percentile on math and my other scores are pretty decent. I'm worried how much will the low reading score hinder me from getting into pharmacy school. My GPA is 3.68 with 3.6 for science and math gpa. 4 years of retail pharmacy experience and one year of hospital experience. Honors program graduate, phi theta kappa member, honors association treasurer.

I applied to 14 pharmacy schools, and 4 pharmacy schools have invited me to interview with them so far, and I have gone to 2 of them already. Do you think my low reading score will kill my chance of getting in? what sections do pharmacy schools look at the most on pcat? what do you guys think?

there is my application status out of all the 3 year accelerated programs i applied to:

South University-Savannah-interview 11/5-DEFERRED UNTIL MARCH :( but:xf:
University of Maryland Eastern shore-interview 11/18-:xf:
LECOM-ERIE-INTERVIEW 01/18:xf:

MY APPLICATION STATUS OUT OF ALL THE TRADITIONAL 4 YEAR PROGRAMS I APPLIED to:

Western New England College of pharmacy-interview 12/03:xf:
Presbyterian College-still waiting
University of Oklahoma-still waiting
Nova-still waiting
Mercer-still waiting
Long Island University-still waiting
Lipscomb-still waiting
Belmont-still waiting

I JUST found out my october pcat score, this is my october score versus august score. My august scores are in parenthesis. I'm worried about my reading score now. will they deny me because of low reading score despite all other scores are good?

verbal: 58 (58)
biology:76 (71)
reading: 9 (10)
quantitative: 59 (39)
chemistry 53 (58)
composite 47(43)

I know my reading score did not improve and it's really bad. But i improved 20 percentile on math and my other scores are pretty decent. I'm worried how much will the low reading score hinder me from getting into pharmacy school. My GPA is 3.68 with 3.6 for science and math gpa. 4 years of retail pharmacy experience and one year of hospital experience. Honors program graduate, phi theta kappa member, honors association treasurer.

I applied to 14 pharmacy schools, and 4 pharmacy schools have invited me to interview with them so far, and I have gone to 2 of them already. Do you think my low reading score will kill my chance of getting in? what sections do pharmacy schools look at the most on pcat? what do you guys think?

University of Maryland Eastern shore-interview 11/18-:xf:

Nova-still waiting
Mercer-still waiting
Lipscomb-still waiting
Belmont-still waiting

Wow reading really hurt you! But I still think you should apply wherever you want and see how it goes!! Try taking it over in January!

Wow reading really hurt you! But I still think you should apply wherever you want and see how it goes!! Try taking it over in January!

i already applied and interviewed with UMES on 11/18, i have 4 interview invitations so far but thanks for encouragement

Got my acceptance letter yesterday via snail mail! :D :thumbup:

Got my acceptance letter yesterday via snail mail! :D :thumbup:

congrats. when did you interview? what are your stats? i interviewed on the 11/18 and still waiting. do you live in maryland?

oh my god, i got my acceptance letter today. it was a big envelope certified mail delivered to my door. I'm so happy and can't stop smiling:)

University of Maryland Eastern shore-interview 11/18-ACCEPTED 12/06/2010:):laugh:
Pacific university in oregon-INTERVIEW 01/08-declined interview

Nova-still waiting
Mercer-still waiting
Lipscomb-still waiting
Belmont-interview 01/28/2011

Last edited:

University of Maryland Eastern shore-interview 11/18-ACCEPTED 12/06/2010:):laugh:
Pacific university in oregon-INTERVIEW 01/08:xf:

Nova-still waiting
Mercer-still waiting
Lipscomb-still waiting
Belmont-still waiting

Congrats! are you attending?

Unlike most people in this forum with really great pcat scores, pharm experience and all, i'm just a regular applicant... 3.5 GPA, BS Medical Technology, never worked as a pharm tech, currently work as a Clinical Lab Scientist at a hospital, August pcat 45 waiting on october pcat score :xf:

hey congrats on your acceptance to UMES. ARE YOU GOING THERE? DID YOU pay the deposit? i got into UMES as well and just paid the deposit on friday just in case. but i'm looking at other options too since i have more interviews to look forward to. How did your interview go yesterday at temple? i didn't apply there because they require a lot of weird and unusual pre-requisites? Congrats on your interview invitation with mercer. are you going to their interview? i applied to mercer and have not heard from them yet. How did you do on your october pcat by the way? let me know thanks

hey congrats on your acceptance to UMES. ARE YOU GOING THERE? DID YOU pay the deposit? i got into UMES as well and just paid the deposit on friday just in case. but i'm looking at other options too since i have more interviews to look forward to. How did your interview go yesterday at temple? i didn't apply there because they require a lot of weird and unusual pre-requisites? Congrats on your interview invitation with mercer. are you going to their interview? i applied to mercer and have not heard from them yet. How did you do on your october pcat by the way? let me know thanks

I haven't paid the $500 deposit, and I think I have till monday to do that, but I doubt I will... Reason because I got into Notre Dame University of MD which is closer to my house and I like the school... I have to pay $750 for that within the next 14 days... My interview with temple went really good... But Im not too sure if I like the school. Temple waived most of the pre requisite cos I have a Bachelors... Mainly my top choice right now is Mercer but my interview isn't until next month so I may just pay the deposit for Notre Dame but if I get into Mercer ill go there...

I haven't paid the $500 deposit, and I think I have till monday to do that, but I doubt I will... Reason because I got into Notre Dame University of MD which is closer to my house and I like the school... I have to pay $750 for that within the next 14 days... My interview with temple went really good... But Im not too sure if I like the school. Temple waived most of the pre requisite cos I have a Bachelors... Mainly my top choice right now is Mercer but my interview isn't until next month so I may just pay the deposit for Notre Dame but if I get into Mercer ill go there...

congrats on both acceptances. I didn't apply to notre dame because i'm still mainly interested in the 3 year accelerated programs. The main reason i applied to eastern shore because of the 3 year thing. My top choices now are lecom-erie (3 year and cheap tuition cost) and my interview will be on january 18th and belmont in tennessee (4 years but offers specialized concentration tracks that i like) and my interview will be on january 28th for belmont. i paid the deposit for eastern shore because i needed a safety school since i wasn't sure if i will get into my top choices. Why would you consider mercer as your first choice? what are the advantages of going to mercer? do you know if they have a minimum pcat score? did you do a lot better on your october pcat? congrats again

what do you think of schools i applied to so far?

Pacific university in oregon-INTERVIEW 01/08-declined interview
Appalachian College of Pharmacy-supplemental application submitted
MCPHS-Worcester-hold until fall grades

Nova-still waiting
Mercer-still waiting
Lipscomb-still waiting
Belmont-interview 01/28/2011-Declined interview

Last edited:
Just declined my invitation to UMES. Good luck everyone! :thumbup:

acceptance

i paid the $500 last friday just in case, but i'm waiting to hear from my first choice school lecom-erie, my interview with lecom-erie will be on january 18th. hopefully i'll get into lecom

University of Maryland Eastern shore-interview 11/18-ACCEPTED 12/06/2010:)
Sullivan University-rejected
Pacific university in oregon-INTERVIEW 01/08-committee hold
LECOM-ERIE-INTERVIEW 01/18-accepted 01/26 and attending:laugh::love:
Appalachian College of Pharmacy-still waiting

Western New England College of pharmacy-interview 12/03-accepted 01/05/2011:laugh:
Presbyterian College-declined interview
Husson University-interview 02/04/2011:xf:
University of New England-03/04/2011:xf:
Nova-still waiting
Mercer-still waiting
Long Island University-interview 02/03/2011:xf:
Idaho State University-still waiting
Concordia-still waiting
Lipscomb-still waiting
Belmont-interview 01/28/2011-declined interview

Last edited:

Pacific university in oregon-INTERVIEW 01/08:xf:
Appalachian College of Pharmacy-still waiting

Presbyterian College-interview invite but had to reschedule so date TBA:xf:
Husson University-interview 02/04/2011:xf:
University of New England-still waiting
Nova-still waiting
Mercer-still waiting
Idaho State University-still waiting
Concordia-still waiting
Lipscomb-still waiting
Belmont-interview 01/28/2011-declined interview

wow you did alot of application if you dont mind how much did you spend on fees?

True dat, forums been quiet. Know y? coz it was waiting on me
got accepted UMES SOP:love:
good luck to y'll still waiting

Last edited:
yes im accepted a month ago.. i forgot to post it.. hehe
im accepted appalachian.. also both are 3year
i think im going UMES! anybody going umes??

yea UMES c/o 2014!!! cant wait to see u guys in July!:)
Can the newly accepted tell us a litlte about their stats plz. If you don't mind. I a waiting on my Jan 22 PCAT scores and i am so nervous, the seats might be full before i ever get a chance to interview. Hopefully they will be out soon. Thanks and congrats to the new Pharm students.

Can the newly accepted tell us a litlte about their stats plz. If you don't mind. I a waiting on my Jan 22 PCAT scores and i am so nervous, the seats might be full before i ever get a chance to interview. Hopefully they will be out soon. Thanks and congrats to the new Pharm students.

Congrats to you both, now the real work begins. I am a current student at the University of Maryland Eastern Shore School of Pharmacy class of 2013. Contact me if you have any questions!